Menu

Kids 5 - 11 shots — how was the experience?

Spryte

If you’ve been able to schedule a shot for your 5 - 11 yr old, how was it? 

DD10 had hers today, mass vaccination site. It wasn’t crowded, but there were a fair number of kids. DD rocked it, and got a great pic in front of the giant background that says, “I got my vaccine!”

Her arm is sore, but that’s it for side effects so far.

• Like 19

I just got back. I'd scheduled two different appointments for next week but then at the last minute lucked into an opening later this evening at an elementary school 10 minutes away. It was super easy -- easy to schedule, uncrowded, no wait. I went a little early and we were on our way home by the time of our original appointment. DS is developmentally delayed -- 9 years old, but more like 2-3 developmentally. He knew what was going on and resisted, but once the shot was in his thigh he was fine. 

• Like 12

Interestingly, I am trying to cancel the two appointments we had scheduled for next week, since we squeezed in today, and I can’t access any of the scheduling. Both our CVS and Walgreen’s scheduling systems are down. I’m hoping that this means lots of parents are signing kids up for shots.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Interestingly, I am trying to cancel the two appointments we had scheduled for next week, since we squeezed in today, and I can’t access any of the scheduling. Both our CVS and Walgreen’s scheduling systems are down. I’m hoping that this means lots of parents are signing kids up for shots.

Yep, this is really frustrating.  I am trying to do the samething.

• Sad 1

Here, a lot of parents are frustrated because the health department isn't doing the drive through vax sites and remote vax sites for kids-they're only doing it at the health department itself, during their regular hours, which means most parents are at work and kids are in school for most of the time they're open. The assumption, I guess, is that people will get them from the pediatrician or their pharmacist, but it's making it really hard for parents who want their kids to get their vaccine ASAP. I am hoping that they'll do some weekend clinics or something for kids so that they can be fully vaccinated before Christmas break. 

I do have one parent who told me that they made their DD's appointment for Monday, because we have a piano/flute recital this weekend and she didn't want to risk her child having side effects that made it hard for her to perform. 

• Like 3

@Dmmetler That sounds frustrating!

Here, I know on Tuesday they are doing an event for PS students from 5 pm till 8 pm, with another on the following Sat am. They will follow up with second shot events three weeks later.

And then they opened the mass vaccination site we used, without much warning. It wasn’t there, on the health dept site, and then it was. We lucked into that. It’s in an unused retail space, and appts run all day — till 8 pm. They are doing adult series and boosters as well.

I haven’t heard of any pediatrician’s office with shots available, but the major pharmacies have some.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Here, a lot of parents are frustrated because the health department isn't doing the drive through vax sites and remote vax sites for kids-they're only doing it at the health department itself, during their regular hours, which means most parents are at work and kids are in school for most of the time they're open. The assumption, I guess, is that people will get them from the pediatrician or their pharmacist, but it's making it really hard for parents who want their kids to get their vaccine ASAP. I am hoping that they'll do some weekend clinics or something for kids so that they can be fully vaccinated before Christmas break. 

Our health department (same state, different city) is running a number of drive-through and walk-up clinics next week at schools in the afternoons and evenings, in conjunction with the city school district.  Perhaps your health department will be inspired!

The children's hospital near our house opened up appointments so I'm taking DS11 there on Monday.  Will cancel the Walgreens appt for Tuesday.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Our health department (same state, different city) is running a number of drive-through and walk-up clinics next week at schools in the afternoons and evenings, in conjunction with the city school district.  Perhaps your health department will be inspired!

The children's hospital near our house opened up appointments so I'm taking DS11 there on Monday.  Will cancel the Walgreens appt for Tuesday.

I honestly don't know why they're being so conservative. They have done an amazing job of making vaccines readily available...except, apparently, not for kids. 

• Sad 1

Our little suburb town is doing a great job. The tiny local pharmacy opened up reservations for kid's appointments last week in anticipation of CDC approval. The schools also sent out a letter that this same pharmacy is bringing the shots to each school site (dates/times to be determined). Our town had a high youth vaccination rate (as opposed to the surrounding towns) so we anticipate a high rate for kids too. My boys are getting their shots today too!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Spryte said:

Ugh. I had hoped that this would not be a repeat of the scheduling nightmares last spring. 

Did you get your kids scheduled?

I had apts for them all over the place, as we are trying to meet a certain deadline for fully vaccinated to be in show.  Anyhow my kids got their vaxes this morning at a small pharmacy that was just letting kids walk in and do it.  They started Wed night.  I heard about it yesterday evening and my kids were there at the opening.   I am screaming I am so excited!!!!!!!

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I had apts for them all over the place, as we are trying to meet a certain deadline for fully vaccinated to be in show.  Anyhow my kids got their vaxes this morning at a small pharmacy that was just letting kids walk in and do it.  They started Wed night.  I heard about it yesterday evening and my kids were there at the opening.   I am screaming I am so excited!!!!!!!

We were screaming and jumping up and down here, too!

• Like 5

It’s not available near me yet.

I talked to our county health dept today. They said pediatricians offices will be getting doses but they don’t know how many or when. There won’t be mass vaccination sites and pharmacies won’t be doing this age group. Dr offices will have to let their patients know they can schedule appts.

so.. I’m guessing it’s going to be quite awhile till all the kids near  me are vaccinated. There’s no way the couple of peds offices here can vaccinate every kid anytime soon.

** updated- apparently the health dept had no clue. Our chain pharmacy put up appts today. Ours is all set for the week of Thanksgiving! Woo hoo!!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I talked to our county health dept today. They said pediatricians offices will be getting doses but they don’t know how many or when. There won’t be mass vaccination sites and pharmacies won’t be doing this age group. Dr offices will have to let their patients know they can schedule appts.

so.. I’m guessing it’s going to be quite awhile till all the kids near  me are vaccinated. There’s no way the couple of peds offices here can vaccinate every kid anytime soon.

Wow. That seems underwhelming. So your only option is through the pediatrician? 

I hope they get lots of shots in fast!

We just showed up at our health dept today and got flu (for all of us) and covid shots (for the littles still unvaccinated). It was no big deal and we were in and out in as much time as it took me to fill out the forms. They were champs and only my needle-phobic 11yo cried. Even she said it wasn't that bad though. No side effects yet (5 hours later). 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Are you in a remote area? Is it a low vax area? It seems so inequitable compared to the access to the ped vaccine so many other places 🙁. Around here, there are tons of options, including mass sites, but hard to find appointments right now. I hope you'll be able to find one soon.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Elfknitter.# said:

So for those of you who have be able to get your child's shot, did they schedule an appointment for the second dose immediately? Is it the same kind of 4 week span as it was for teens and adults?

Two national pharmacy chains automatically scheduled the second shot. But our mass site — we had to log in again and schedule the second shot after going home. We couldn’t get a three week interval, and had to schedule four weeks out. That was frustrating.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Two national pharmacy chains automatically scheduled the second shot. But our mass site — we had to log in again and schedule the second shot after going home. We couldn’t get a three week interval, and had to schedule four weeks out. That was frustrating.

Interesting. Thanks!

I have an appointment with our HMO, but the first I could get was December 11. There are a multitude of pop-up and community sites that I might opt for once my youngest is over their cold. If I choose a community site, then I wanted to have an idea of when they need to return for the 2nd dose. I had mine done at a mass vaccination site and both appointments were scheduled when I registered. I wish they were doing that again because it was super easy and fast.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elfknitter.# said:

Interesting. Thanks!

I have an appointment with our HMO, but the first I could get was December 11. There are a multitude of pop-up and community sites that I might opt for once my youngest is over their cold. If I choose a community site, then I wanted to have an idea of when they need to return for the 2nd dose. I had mine done at a mass vaccination site and both appointments were scheduled when I registered. I wish they were doing that again because it was super easy and fast.

A longer interval is fine and in some cases preferable.  Don't delay the first shot just to get the second shot done at 3 weeks instead of 4.

• Like 6

CVS was looking to hire 25,000 nurse vaccinators for the rollout and I am still praying for a hospital residency in the ICU, so in the meantime, yours truly got hired to help. So, I have been vaccinating patients at a busy San Diego CVS since Tuesday. It has been non-stop for me -- between flu shots, Covid boosters, and now the kids -- I am going 8+ hours of non-stop vaccinating. It makes me SO SO HAPPY to see more people getting vaccinated!!!  

ETA with a pic from my first day.

252350910_10158588695393261_5342501128460746301_n.jpg

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Elfknitter.# said:

So for those of you who have be able to get your child's shot, did they schedule an appointment for the second dose immediately? Is it the same kind of 4 week span as it was for teens and adults?

4 weeks is for Moderna, which is not yet approved in children. 3 weeks is for Pfizer, which is approved for ages 5+. Same spacing in kids. 3 weeks after your first dose.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3

Also, if you are worried about getting your Moderna booster because you got walloped by dose #2, know that the booster is only half the dose of the original. Also, if you got the J&J and want a Moderna shot for dose #2, it is also only a half dose. Anecdotally, I am hearing from patients that the half dose in the booster is causing less side effects than what some experienced in dose #2. Obviously, everyone's experience is different, but that's my anecdotal feedback on the Moderna booster, for anyone who has been on the fence about it. (My personal experience is with three Pfizer shots and had zero side effects each time.) 

50 minutes ago, Spryte said:

You can schedule the 2nd dose with another vaccine location, can’t you?  Keep that one but look for something sooner elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Maybe you can just keep the original appointment for the second dose so that you can keep the 3 week(ish) spacing? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

I purposely scheduled my kid's second shot for a longer interval because everything so far indicates a longer lasting immune response with longer between doses. I had to walk the line though, of a longer interval while still having her fully vaccinated by Christmas.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

CVS was looking to hire 25,000 nurse vaccinators for the rollout and I am still praying for a hospital residency in the ICU, so in the meantime, yours truly got hired to help. So, I have been vaccinating patients at a busy San Diego CVS since Tuesday. It has been non-stop for me -- between flu shots, Covid boosters, and now the kids -- I am going 8+ hours of non-stop vaccinating. It makes me SO SO HAPPY to see more people getting vaccinated!!!  

I love working covid vax clinics.  It's happy work.  Ours have been slow lately, but will pick up next week ( 70+ and HCW's become eligible for boosters 6 mo after 2nd dose as of tomorrow).  Kids vax 5-11 not approved here yet - hoping for soon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I purposely scheduled my kid's second shot for a longer interval because everything so far indicates a longer lasting immune response with longer between doses. I had to walk the line though, of a longer interval while still having her fully vaccinated by Christmas.

I have dd11's shots scheduled and she will be two weeks post second dose just a few days before her brother and sister return from college.  Just in time!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I have dd11's shots scheduled and she will be two weeks post second dose just a few days before her brother and sister return from college.  Just in time!

That’s wonderful timing!

As we have it scheduled, DD will be two weeks post second shot just a few days before DH comes back from Germany. As long as we hit that target, I’m good! So happy.

• Like 3

I have my kids scheduled for Tuesday.  There is only one clinic doing pediatric shots in a three county radius.  They have a ton of open slots, which probably means that there isn’t a lot of interest in pediatric shots.  I’m hopeful that it’s just because people don’t know about it, but I don’t expect the pediatric vaccine locally to be gotten in huge numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsMommy said:

So far, she only has a sore arm. My own experience, however, is that I learned that you shouldn't post about vaccinating your child on social media unless you really like being called an evil child abuser over and over.

Wow, just wow.  I am sorry you had to go through that.  

• Like 4

On 11/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, mommyoffive said:

My 3 have had no side effects.  Not even a sore arm.  Can't wait for shot #2!

Have your 3 still not had any side effects?   DS11 is scheduled for tomorrow (hooray!) and am wondering how he will react.  DS13 had minimal side effects from his vax but DS16 felt pretty awful for about 36 hrs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JennyD said:

Have your 3 still not had any side effects?   DS11 is scheduled for tomorrow (hooray!) and am wondering how he will react.  DS13 had minimal side effects from his vax but DS16 felt pretty awful for about 36 hrs.

Nothing at all.  No sore arm.  Even my youngest said the the shot didn't hurt.  They got the shot on Friday morning. 

• Like 3

I registered my 2 kids that haven't had it for Monday. Just now I got a text saying that my vaccine appointment needs to be rescheduled. I'm not sure which it's for?  I also scheduled flu shots for all of us at the same time.  UGH.  When I click the reschedule link, it just takes me to a general registration page. 

• Sad 3

DD10 was vaccinated yesterday morning.  She has just a bit of tenderness at the injection site and said she felt a little tired this morning, but it's Monday after a time change so who knows?  By lunch she was her usual energetic self.

DS8 got his this morning and is now complaining of a headache.  This child has never had a headache in his life.  Fingers crossed that this isn't a bad omen for the next 48 hours.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

DD10 was vaccinated yesterday morning.  She has just a bit of tenderness at the injection site and said she felt a little tired this morning, but it's Monday after a time change so who knows?  By lunch she was her usual energetic self.

DS8 got his this morning and is now complaining of a headache.  This child has never had a headache in his life.  Fingers crossed that this isn't a bad omen for the next 48 hours.

I hope he feels better soon!

Is anyone else hearing that shot appointments are hard to find? I heard a news report this am that some parents are having trouble finding them (Morning Edition, NPR).

• Like 1

Just got back from DS11's vaccine appointment.  It was at the children's hospital and they were -- predictably -- terrific.  At check-in they gave us a checkist to make a "vaccine plan" -- there were questions like "Do you want to sit on someone's lap or by yourself?"  "Do you want to watch or look away?"  DS wasn't especially nervous but it was helpful nonetheless.  (The nurses said that the Child Life people developed it.)

Also I had never heard of Buzzy Bee or "freezy spray" but they offered both.  DS opted for freezy spray but the needle seemed so small, doubt it made much of a difference.

I AM SO RELIEVED!!!!

• Like 6