Menu

I’m too fast. (Shots approved!)

Carrie12345

I jumped to our medical website and they officially listed my 10yo as “overdue” for his Covid shot, so they were faster than me on that. But, unfortunately, when I clicked to make an appointment, they hadn’t opened the slots yet.

I will now be stalking until they available, lol. My last unvaxxed kid is THRILLED!!!

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Wait, what??? If the FDA voted Friday and the CDC voted today... isn’t that agreeing? What did I miss?

I was reading that Walensky has to give final approval and then they can start.

ETA: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/01/world/covid-vaccine-boosters/heres-what-needs-to-happen-before-5-to-11-year-olds-can-get-the-pfizer-vaccine 

It may be paywalled, but the gist is:

The C.D.C. contemplates the panel’s suggestions, which the agency usually follows.

• The C.D.C., which is led by Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky, weighs in with final guidance, which influences how entities like states, hospitals and doctors’ offices distribute vaccines. In September, Dr. Walensky ignored the C.D.C. panel’s advice and recommended booster shots of Pfizer’s vaccine for frontline workers, aligning her agency’s guidance with the F.D.A.’s authorization.

In the states

• State health authorities typically adopt the C.D.C.’s guidance, though it is not binding.

• Pediatric doses will begin to become available once the regulatory process is done, but the vaccination program will only reach full strength next week, Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House's pandemic response coordinator, said on Monday.

Edited by Elfknitter.#
  • Like 1

I looked at Walgreens and CVS at 7:48 and the soonest I could find was Sunday, which I booked.  On the bright side, this probably means lots of parents are going ASAP.  Well, either that or my state is slow on distributing its allotment.  I'm going to hope for the former. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

WALGREENS IS BOOKING!!!  YOU CAN GET THEM TODAY!!!!!

Hmm. When I put in my zip code it says there are none here. 

44 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

CVS is booking!!!!!!!!!!

It shows that they will  not start until Nov 7th when I checked the website.

Walgreens and CVS are both scheduling for next week here.  I called the children's hospital and they are going to offer the vaccine, but no word on when.  I called the pediatrician's office -- they will not be offering the vaccine and said to go to the children's hospital (or a related clinic).  The city health department says that they will have information later today about where the pediatric vaccine will be available.

I don't really understand why this wasn't all ready to go -- it's not like everyone hasn't had months and months to figure out how this was all going to work.  

• Like 2

Ok I have spent all morning doing this.  I have apts a bunch of different places for my 3.  i am going to have to think on it and cancel the ones that don't work out.  Our weekend schedule is really tight with rehearsals all day Saturday and Sunday.  I could have worked something out in a different state late in the day one of those days, but the apts went to fast with me trying to register 3 kids.  Ugh.  We are up against a deadline for their shots for a show that needs you to have them.  But now the vaccine mandates are changing in that city, so I don't even know what applies at that point.  

So thinking and then have to cancel some of them.

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

Walgreens and CVS are both scheduling for next week here.  I called the children's hospital and they are going to offer the vaccine, but no word on when.  I called the pediatrician's office -- they will not be offering the vaccine and said to go to the children's hospital (or a related clinic).  The city health department says that they will have information later today about where the pediatric vaccine will be available.

I don't really understand why this wasn't all ready to go -- it's not like everyone hasn't had months and months to figure out how this was all going to work.  

From what I have read and talked to the our doctors office, they didn't have the shipments of it.  

Scheduled 11 and 9 yr old for Wednesday - soonest I could get them at a nearby pharmacy. The closer one has appointments for Monday, but the website kept crashing when I tried to hit submit, so went with a farther one, on Wednesday. I figure a few extra days won't matter for my homeschooled kids. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Scheduled 11 and 9 yr old for Wednesday - soonest I could get them at a nearby pharmacy. The closer one has appointments for Monday, but the website kept crashing when I tried to hit submit, so went with a farther one, on Wednesday. I figure a few extra days won't matter for my homeschooled kids. 

Yay!  I know you've been waiting and wanting this for so long.  I am so happy for those of you who have kids who are particularly at risk.

• Like 4

I am still waiting on mine as is Dh and mother in law. My mom scored one of the last Moderna doses in the tri County area. I suspect her doctor recommended her for a third, full dose, instead of a booster which is why. Apparently, the shipment for boosters has not arrived yet around here. So I am impatient because I do not get have an appointment. I am so glad you are all in the queue for your kids! Very, very happy! My Dd is trying to score an appointment for our 5 year old grandson.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Wheee! Just scored an appointment for DD10 today!

Once that shot is in her arm we will cancel the appt for next week. 

Our area opened a mass vaccination site last night, and there are appts available.

And … it’s done! Super easy. I’m stunned we got in that fast!

• Like 6

No appointments available from the big chains here yet, even for next week  (we are in a small-ish city). Either that or they are going so fast I'm not seeing them.  One larger clinic network is scheduling patients locally, but we go to the smaller clinic/network and they don't have doses yet it seems or at least aren't scheduling yet. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

No appointments available from the big chains here yet, even for next week  (we are in a small-ish city). Either that or they are going so fast I'm not seeing them.  One larger clinic network is scheduling patients locally, but we go to the smaller clinic/network and they don't have doses yet it seems or at least aren't scheduling yet. 

I think they are going that fast.  Walgreens and CVS both had some at least for awhile, but now show up as none available.  I'm a little frustrated because Walgreens forced me to make the appointment for our second shot at the same time I scheduled the first.  I plan to space our shots more than 3 weeks and have no intention of keeping the second dose appointments that I was forced to schedule.  I hope they are not holding back vaccines for it, but I suspect t they are.  I will cancel the second appointments as soon as we get back from the first so that it will hopefully open for others.

• Like 3

Yay!  I'm so happy for everyone.

My 12 year old has started her series, too.  I told dh that I wanted it done by Christmas (he was a bit cautious with her although everyone else is vaxxed) and if we didn't act now the younger kids would need the appointments.  I wanted her to be free to visit my mother whose senior living place requires vaccines.  So, he relented and I was able to get her first done last week.  I can't wait until next week to see the vaccine percentages jump! (I know it won't happen everywhere, but am pretty sure it will where I live.)  This feels like a real turning point.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I tried 3 Walgreens in AR where my 10 year old nephew is and they aren't doing it yet.  In OK they are.  So that is weird.  

It is weird. I'm not far from you, and just got my Moderna booster at Walgreens. The pharmacist who gave it said her location isn't doing Pfizer at all and hasn't ever done Pfizer - only Moderna - so, of course that means they aren't vaxxing kids. She didn't know if that was just her store, this state, or what. It's weird how the same chain varies so much.

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

Do they do vaccinations at schools in the USA? I know they do in Australia, and I wonder if they'll eventually end up doing covid shots through the school vaccination program - those people are really experienced with scared kids. 

Yes, it's a great way to reach the disadvantaged kids for us.  The nearby major metro just announced pediatric 5-11 clinics at a bunch of schools.  They have one day at each school and then cycle back after three weeks for the second shot.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bookbard said:

Do they do vaccinations at schools in the USA? I know they do in Australia, and I wonder if they'll eventually end up doing covid shots through the school vaccination program - those people are really experienced with scared kids. 

I have heard news talk of getting them to schools, but I doubt it will be *all schools. Vaccines generally aren’t done in schools, so we don’t have systems already set up.

I tried to google when schools stopped being a normal place to get shots, but the keywords are just flooded with hits about current events.