Menu

~~~ November Frugalistas 2021 ~~~

mommyoffive

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Ok, feeling much better now. We are done be for the day but only about halfway done the whole job. Tomorrow we will be up bright and early finishing up the job. Maybe I won't spend all the savings frivolously. But I'm spending some of it

I think you absolutely should reward yourselves with a bit of what you saved! That’s why we make the trade off, right? There’s some benefit to us that makes the labor worthwhile… Feeling good about it helps you stick with future frugal choices.

• Like 5

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Target has been running Black Friday pricing all week, as has Old Navy. 

My 21 year old KitchenAid has been having issues occasionally recently. It’s not leaking oil as badly as my blender, but it’s showing it’s age. I am debating about whether to replace it or not. If I don’t, I am kind of committing to waiting up to a year without a new mixer if I do choose to replace in the future as I know I only want a professional level KA to replace it and I also know I only want to pay $200-250ish (current price at Target) rather than $450. I still have nice KA hand beaters and I need the countertop space so I am leaning towards not buying in advance….but am I crazy for leaning this way? I thought I would ask my frugal friends here. 🙂 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hjffkj said:

How many kids do you have in dance right now? We only have the 2 girls at the moment but one of my boys is going to take a class on Tuesday to see if he likes it. We pay tuition for the year upfront. It is a hard pill to swallow but not a mortgage payment per month yet. That would not be sustainable for us. 

All 5.   I think you once told me how much your school costs.  My 2 oldest are in the top level of the school.  Only thing higher is trainee.  Every time you go up a level it is more $$ and more hours.

We can afford it and I am glad my kids have something to be in.  But I also would love to spend that money on another house. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Tearing this stupid shed down ourselves was such a bad idea. I'm so grumpy right now and annoyed. Had to take a break before I lost my temper. It isn't difficult but it is such a big shed and with dh stick during the week we only have today and tomorrow to do it.

I'm taking the $600 I saved doing it ourselves and wasting it on something fun. Screw being responsible, ha.

I'm afraid I'm going to feel that way about our deck project.  We said we'd remove the deck before they started building.  But they don't plan to start until late November or early December.  It's 60 degrees this weekend (last weekend was 40 and next week is predicted to be 45).  I wanted to take it down now but we have dogs that go out that door multiple times a day (and it's a split level so way too much of a drop not to have something outside) but it will be a huge PITA not to have that exit for the dogs.  So instead realistically we are going to be taking it down in 30-40 degree weather.  I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on that project and pay them to remove it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Target has been running Black Friday pricing all week, as has Old Navy. 

My 21 year old KitchenAid has been having issues occasionally recently. It’s not leaking oil as badly as my blender, but it’s showing it’s age. I am debating about whether to replace it or not. If I don’t, I am kind of committing to waiting up to a year without a new mixer if I do choose to replace in the future as I know I only want a professional level KA to replace it and I also know I only want to pay $200-250ish (current price at Target) rather than $450. I still have nice KA hand beaters and I need the countertop space so I am leaning towards not buying in advance….but am I crazy for leaning this way? I thought I would ask my frugal friends here. 🙂 

I guess I would consider, are you willing to go without if it dies before you find one at your desired price range?  Anytime my microwave dies, I'm in the store the same day (I once thought about going without a microwave altogether, such foolishness, I was buying one in 36 hours that time).  But a mixer, yeah I could survive but I don't even use it every week.  If you rely on it heavily enough that going without would be a huge hardship, I'd be looking for sales now.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I'm afraid I'm going to feel that way about our deck project.  We said we'd remove the deck before they started building.  But they don't plan to start until late November or early December.  It's 60 degrees this weekend (last weekend was 40 and next week is predicted to be 45).  I wanted to take it down now but we have dogs that go out that door multiple times a day (and it's a split level so way too much of a drop not to have something outside) but it will be a huge PITA not to have that exit for the dogs.  So instead realistically we are going to be taking it down in 30-40 degree weather.  I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on that project and pay them to remove it.

I feel you guys on house projects. Last summer we painted the outside of the house and shed, by hand. And then we moved our shed, which was a way bigger deal than I thought it would be. Both were huge projects- pretty much every weekend for 3 months for the both of them. We just had to focus on one part at a time. It absolutely sucked doing it but was well worth it when we finished. We didn't have any big projects this summer since lumber prices went up but next summer it will be building a shop. And we can't start until mid-June after dh's college and vaca. It will be blazing hot. I'm trying not to think about it. 

-----------

Finally got the grocery shopping done, ya! I will still have to get some bday stuff for dd3 (who keeps changing her mind) and maybe a few things of produce but shouldn't need much else.

And I also finally got signed into Ibotta- I've been having issues with my account for months. Since they had the Tgiving meal again I wanted to get that. So, I got everything yesterday except the cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes as they were out. Last year I did it later and there were no turkeys left. Then I referred dh and got him signed up and redeemed my Aldi's receipt for him giving me a $10 referral. Next week I'll do the Tgiving meal on his account too. I also told Mom about it, we'll see if she signs up. 

I qualified for a survey/focus group this coming week but then the website messed up so I'm not sure if I will get it or not. I really hope so, it is $125. I'm running short of my goal for this month and that will nearly get me there. 

Bad news:

When dh changed ds' oil he noticed his power steering fluid is overflowing. He has been trouble shooting that with the least expensive fixes- has a few small parts coming today. If that doesn't do it then he has to replace the pump. Looks like that is maybe $100 (I think). And one side of my van a/c has stopped working. Seems most likely a simple issue with needing Freon (dh has a charger and the cans are inexpensive)- fingers crossed it is just that. Usually the only costs we have for the van are tires and maintenance so I can't complain. The car repair fund will be taking a hit for ds' car but hopefully neither one is too much.

• Like 3

We spent all day tearing the shed down.  It went much better today than yesterday.  Anywho, it was a lot of fun talking about what we plan on doing with the extra space in the future.  My current plan is to have a training studio built there eventually.  That way we can all do martial arts easily without needing to go somewhere else. And dh could potentially start teaching again with private lessons.  Anyone have experience having an outbuilding built.  It would need electricity and hvac but no plumbing. We could potentially build it with plumbing in case we wanted part of it to be livable space as rent generator. 

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We spent all day tearing the shed down.  It went much better today than yesterday.  Anywho, it was a lot of fun talking about what we plan on doing with the extra space in the future.  My current plan is to have a training studio built there eventually.  That way we can all do martial arts easily without needing to go somewhere else. And dh could potentially start teaching again with private lessons.  Anyone have experience having an outbuilding built.  It would need electricity and hvac but no plumbing. We could potentially build it with plumbing in case we wanted part of it to be livable space as rent generator. 

If you think you might want to use the space for lessons, I would definitely get the plumbing in.  What happens if someone desperately needed to go in the middle of lessons?  Would you feel comfortable letting them into your home?  I think you would need to have at least  a small bathroom available in the space.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

If you think you might want to use the space for lessons, I would definitely get the plumbing in.  What happens if someone desperately needed to go in the middle of lessons?  Would you feel comfortable letting them into your home?  I think you would need to have at least  a small bathroom available in the space.  

I will consider that because it isn't a bad idea. The way our house is set up and where the outbuilding would be I wouldn't mind them using the bathroom in our house.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

What are your local zoning requirements?  An unhappy neighbor can make your life hell by turning you in by not being up to code. Plumbing may be required if you are a business space and have non-owners in that space--depending on your code. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What are your local zoning requirements?  An unhappy neighbor can make your life hell by turning you in by not being up to code. Plumbing may be required if you are a business space and have non-owners in that space--depending on your code. 

Yeah, I was looking up the code tonight but got too tired and decided I don't want to think about this anymore, ha. I'll save it for another day

• Like 1

Dh got ds' car fixed- it was the simple thing he thought it was. 

Reconciled budget.

Ordered bday gift for dd3 and we're nailing down bday plans. Simple things at home.

I put up a clothes line this weekend (my last one was taken down when we moved the shed last summer). It isn't huge but gives me some space. I won't be hanging everything but can easily do bigger items (like sheets) and towels. Anything I don't dry will be a cost savings so that is a win. I'm shopping for an indoor rack that I can get.

• Like 4

We had a frugal weekend doing housework and house repairs. [sarcasm font on] Yay! [font off]

We cut a countertop for middle DD's worktable that we had picked up off of FB marketplace. DH will need to buy a post for one corner; we have cabinets for the front as my MIL used to work in a kitchen cabinet store.

We repaired most of a room of flooring (the click and lock flooring was not installed correctly and had split open) - I still have a little bit to do because I was not up to moving the bed and dresser. Carrying the countertop just about did me in; it's heavy! Then I can install the baseboard (currently stored behind the couch).

Kids picked out paint for their rooms. 

I scrubbed the stove and the over the stove microwave which had that sticky kitchen residue on it. 

We did buy some Little Caesars over the weekend. DH also bought something at the home store; I can't even remember what.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For a limited time, head on over to Amazon where select books are part of a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale – with no promo code or coupon needed!

Even sweeter, a lot of these books are already on sale so you’ll be getting a double-dip of savings! There’s a nice selection of highly-rated best sellers in every genre for all ages, including novels, biographies/memoirs, self-help, and children’s books. We also spotted some super cute Thanksgiving and Christmas books that the kiddos are sure to love!

Target's Early Black Friday Savings Last All Month Long | Hip2Save

Buy 2, Get 1 Free Games, Activities, & More on Amazon | Kinetic Sand, Play-Doh & More (hip2save.com)

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used the Amazon buy 2 get 1 free deal a few times to make a dent in the christmas shopping.  I think I have an idea for the big gift for each of my kids expect my oldest.  This is a hard year for him. He usually has a good idea of things he wants but not now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

For a limited time, head on over to Amazon where select books are part of a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale – with no promo code or coupon needed!

Even sweeter, a lot of these books are already on sale so you’ll be getting a double-dip of savings! There’s a nice selection of highly-rated best sellers in every genre for all ages, including novels, biographies/memoirs, self-help, and children’s books. We also spotted some super cute Thanksgiving and Christmas books that the kiddos are sure to love!

Target's Early Black Friday Savings Last All Month Long | Hip2Save

Buy 2, Get 1 Free Games, Activities, & More on Amazon | Kinetic Sand, Play-Doh & More (hip2save.com)

Just used this, but I got Christmas dvds instead.   🙌🏼

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did everyone see that YNAB's pricing is going up? 😞 It will now be $98.99/year or $14.99/month. I have really mixed feelings about that. I've been with YNAB since before version 4, but that is a significant chunk of money without the fun of, say, Netflix shows. 

I couldn't stomach the price before so I never went beyond the trial and ended up with something else.  Its a super useful product but its pretty expensive for something that ultimately is just helping you track your money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did everyone see that YNAB's pricing is going up? 😞 It will now be $98.99/year or $14.99/month. I have really mixed feelings about that. I've been with YNAB since before version 4, but that is a significant chunk of money without the fun of, say, Netflix shows. 

12 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I couldn't stomach the price before so I never went beyond the trial and ended up with something else.  Its a super useful product but its pretty expensive for something that ultimately is just helping you track your money.

I just paid (at 10% off after our free student year). I'm torn as it has saved me that much and many more and been such a stress relief to me. It doesn't just track money but helps me plan ahead. I really do love it. But I'm not a fan of the price. They really need to do a 2-tier system like Dave Ramsey does- he has a free program, then his regular program is $130 with all the bells and whistles. I just use the basic features. I rarely have any transaction auto import before I've already entered it and most of my transactions are on the CC which I don't have even set up. I have no use for the new loan/debt payment feature. I guess I got a year to see if I can find anything else that I can use but I hate to lose my data. 

• Like 6

Cambly sent out an email- I get a $300 bonus if I teach 30 hours before Dec 13. Since regular pay is $10 an hour that effectively doubles my pay. I was thinking I need to start doing some hours there anyway to make up for lost VIPKID pay as my other job isn't enough hours as of now and I've not got any global VIPKID classes yet. So, I'm jumping in with Cambly and have my first Priority Hour today. Wish me luck!

So, my old comforter does fit in my new washing machine (the one I had been planning on replacing). It had a whole in it but I realized yesterday it is just on one side. I patched it up and bleached it and it looks much better. I ordered a super lint roller to get the pills off. That is something of my to be replaced list. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I just paid (at 10% off after our free student year). I'm torn as it has saved me that much and many more and been such a stress relief to me. It doesn't just track money but helps me plan ahead. I really do love it. But I'm not a fan of the price. They really need to do a 2-tier system like Dave Ramsey does- he has a free program, then his regular program is $130 with all the bells and whistles. I just use the basic features. I rarely have any transaction auto import before I've already entered it and most of my transactions are on the CC which I don't have even set up. I have no use for the new loan/debt payment feature. I guess I got a year to see if I can find anything else that I can use but I hate to lose my data. 

I totally get that it is super helpful and does make things less stressful but like you I don't use all the bells and whistles.  I do use auto download, but none of the fancy stuff.  I don't do mobile, I don't track investments, I don't even need any online bill paying, I'm not "plannning" for anything that needs fancy calculators, (oh I also really prefer to just store the data on my computer and not in the cloud).  Every time there is an upgrade, it's like "why"  that's not helpful (And I'm not talking about just YNAB, I mean any of the various financial softwares).  I just need a piece of software that allows me to have an electronic checkbook that ties to the budget.  Other than security issues related to the downloads, there is nothing that needs "improving" from year to year.  But absolutely no software offers that.  They are constantly trying to add new things to draw new customers (and of course old customers get stuck helping footing the bill for the new features).  It just frustrates me across all the financial softwares, how expensive it is each year and I'd be surprised if the majority of their customers even use a fraction of the options they offer but I guess that's how they make their money.  I did try just doing it on my own and after about a month I went back to paid software but I grumble every year at the cost of it because I do think these kinds of products are overpriced for what you get (or maybe it's overpriced for what I use).

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I totally get that it is super helpful and does make things less stressful but like you I don't use all the bells and whistles.  I do use auto download, but none of the fancy stuff.  I don't do mobile, I don't track investments, I don't even need any online bill paying, I'm not "plannning" for anything that needs fancy calculators, (oh I also really prefer to just store the data on my computer and not in the cloud).  Every time there is an upgrade, it's like "why"  that's not helpful (And I'm not talking about just YNAB, I mean any of the various financial softwares).  I just need a piece of software that allows me to have an electronic checkbook that ties to the budget.  Other than security issues related to the downloads, there is nothing that needs "improving" from year to year.  But absolutely no software offers that.  They are constantly trying to add new things to draw new customers (and of course old customers get stuck helping footing the bill for the new features).  It just frustrates me across all the financial softwares, how expensive it is each year and I'd be surprised if the majority of their customers even use a fraction of the options they offer but I guess that's how they make their money.  I did try just doing it on my own and after about a month I went back to paid software but I grumble every year at the cost of it because I do think these kinds of products are overpriced for what you get (or maybe it's overpriced for what I use).

I do like the app, I love entering transactions when out and about. I hate the trend of subscriptions for everything, so many things you don't actually own. That drives me crazy. So many of the other free ones are free because they use your data- like Mint. 

Which software do you pay for?

It seems many on the ynab reddit are switching to Buckets. It has a free trial so I am going to run them side by side and see how it goes. I would try the free version of EveryDollar but I don't want to support Dave Ramsey.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think I'm going to get the 1-year subscription for this year and then reevaluate (and hope they come out with a tiered plan - subscriptions really add up!!!). 

I'm pulling homeschooling books I bought with good intentions and have never used, or have only used a few times, and working on listing them on Amazon and ebay. I have a solutions manual I bought accidentally, since the auction I was bidding on only listed the book. The going price for the manual is close to $100. I think I can "finance" the rest of the year's purchases via reselling unused things, and that might help me minimize spur-of-the-moment purchases. 

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 4

Yeah, the price of YNAB is not appealing to me.  I am struggling to decide if I like it enough to pay that much.  I wonder if someone has made an excel spreadsheet similar to how YNAB works and sells it. I'd pay a one time fee for somehting like that just so I don't have to make my own, which I could do.  I just don't feel like it. Off to research that

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

This was my hope, but I am not seeing it in reality. As an example, my Home Depot just received their shipment of gas grills…just in time for Father’s Day, I mean, Thanksgiving. No discounts yet and they have all been sitting there for a month because no one grills here in the rainy season unless they have a covered deck.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This was my hope, but I am not seeing it in reality. As an example, my Home Depot just received their shipment of gas grills…just in time for Father’s Day, I mean, Thanksgiving. No discounts yet and they have all been sitting there for a month because no one grills here in the rainy season unless they have a covered deck.

Well Walmart is certainly doing it.  There grills were ridiculously low a few weeks ago.  I am actually seeing a lot of clearance at Walmart that isn't part of the normal clearance cycle

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I do like the app, I love entering transactions when out and about. I hate the trend of subscriptions for everything, so many things you don't actually own. That drives me crazy. So many of the other free ones are free because they use your data- like Mint. 

Which software do you pay for?

It seems many on the ynab reddit are switching to Buckets. It has a free trial so I am going to run them side by side and see how it goes. I would try the free version of EveryDollar but I don't want to support Dave Ramsey.

I'm using quicken.  It used to be when you bought it, you could use the download services for 3 years so I only had to pay every 3 years (because I didn't care about the "improvements" added with each year's new version). Last year, my 3 years ran out and the new version is subscription so it's the same cost instead of paying once every 3 years, I now have to pay it every year.  Made me really made, so I tried oodles of new ones (mostly free) but a few paid.  But the free ones didn't give me what I needed and the paid ones cost even more than quicken and weren't any easier.  I don't really recommend quicken either since it wasn't intuitive (at least to me) to get running but it was the cheapest I found to get done what I needed.  I don't remember trying Buckets so will have to go look at that one.

My DH is in IT and one of his special interests is security and he gives me a hard no anytime I ask about using cloud based financial software.  Since I don't need the mobile stuff, it's not a big deal for me but it does limit my choices. (I have played with some of the cloud based ones just to see what was out there though)

I guess it's just one of my pet peeves that products that advertise "saving" you money cost so much.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Did this, thanks! We don't have a ChikFilA but there is one by Dh's college.

_______

Did my first Priority Hour with Cambly. It was very low key and easy. I talked to 2 Brazilian ladies and 1 from Saudi Arabia. I'm going to try and do another hour today. My goal is at least 6 hrs a week. 

ETA: I've finally decided against a PT job outside the home. I could likely find one that paid more but with commute time/cost I don't think I'd end up much ahead.  Besides the fact that I'm now in change of my schedule and can work around things for the family, that is worth a whole lot to me. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I guess it's just one of my pet peeves that products that advertise "saving" you money cost so much.

I know how this works in business classes - they say, "Well, it'll save them XXX money so we can charge XXX/10." But it is pretty frustrating if you're trying to save money!

Well, I'd found a very interesting-to-me part time job to apply for, spent about a week getting my resume/cover letter/references in order, and now it has been taken down. It was a useful process, and as a result I made some decisions about volunteer roles so that finding references in the future will be easier. 

On the budget front, I'm starting to buy Christmas presents using credit card points. DH is traveling again for work, which means the credit card bills are higher, but reimbursed. I started a YNAB category of "To be reimbursed" for DH's travel; does anyone else have a good way of handling this?

And, now that the job application issue is moot, I will focus on listing my Amazon and eBay sales.

Emily

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Did this, thanks! We don't have a ChikFilA but there is one by Dh's college.

_______

Did my first Priority Hour with Cambly. It was very low key and easy. I talked to 2 Brazilian ladies and 1 from Saudi Arabia. I'm going to try and do another hour today. My goal is at least 6 hrs a week. 

ETA: I've finally decided against a PT job outside the home. I could likely find one that paid more but with commute time/cost I don't think I'd end up much ahead.  Besides the fact that I'm now in change of my schedule and can work around things for the family, that is worth a whole lot to me. 

Oh is Cambly just talking and not teaching?  Sounds so cool to talk to people around the world. 

Being your own boss is a huge benefit.  

I came across this Youtube channel where she posts all work from home jobs everyday.

Delilah Bell - YouTube

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I know how this works in business classes - they say, "Well, it'll save them XXX money so we can charge XXX/10." But it is pretty frustrating if you're trying to save money!

Well, I'd found a very interesting-to-me part time job to apply for, spent about a week getting my resume/cover letter/references in order, and now it has been taken down. It was a useful process, and as a result I made some decisions about volunteer roles so that finding references in the future will be easier. 

On the budget front, I'm starting to buy Christmas presents using credit card points. DH is traveling again for work, which means the credit card bills are higher, but reimbursed. I started a YNAB category of "To be reimbursed" for DH's travel; does anyone else have a good way of handling this?

And, now that the job application issue is moot, I will focus on listing my Amazon and eBay sales.

Emily

That is awesome that you can use the cc points for dh's travel.   

Oh that stinks about the job.  I am sure it was helpful to do the resume.  Already for next time.  

Good luck on your Amazon/Ebay sales.  Are you doing it as a job or just to get rid of household stuff?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh is Cambly just talking and not teaching?  Sounds so cool to talk to people around the world. 

Being your own boss is a huge benefit.  

I came across this Youtube channel where she posts all work from home jobs everyday.

Delilah Bell - YouTube

Well, it is a lot of free talk, some teaching. Most students just want to chat. 

42 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Emily

I had to do a resume for a job recently and it was good practice. It terrified me though!

I have a - things for other people category- sometimes I buy things for the kids or my parents that they pay me back for and of course reimbursements- that catches all of that. It is currently in the yellow now as I just bought stuff for my Mom but she hasn't paid me yet. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Soror said:

Well, it is a lot of free talk, some teaching. Most students just want to chat. 

I had to do a resume for a job recently and it was good practice. It terrified me though!

I have a - things for other people category- sometimes I buy things for the kids or my parents that they pay me back for and of course reimbursements- that catches all of that. It is currently in the yellow now as I just bought stuff for my Mom but she hasn't paid me yet. 

Do you know how old you have to be to work for Cambly?  I remember hearing about one place that was talking to people that you could work for as teen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you know how old you have to be to work for Cambly?  I remember hearing about one place that was talking to people that you could work for as teen. 

It is 18. I don't know any that are open for  minors. You wouldn't want your kid to have a job on the market place. You can get a class from anyone around the world. Sometimes there are skeezy people. I've obviously not run into that yet and have no issue reporting people (people that reported are banned but there is always the first time) if the did but it isn't something I'd risk for my kids. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

That is awesome that you can use the cc points for dh's travel.   

Oh that stinks about the job.  I am sure it was helpful to do the resume.  Already for next time.  

Good luck on your Amazon/Ebay sales.  Are you doing it as a job or just to get rid of household stuff?

Mainly to get rid of household stuff, but also to keep myself honest about buying. If I require selling something to get something new, it helps me keep spending in check.

Emily

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I have a "purchased for others" category and then sub categories for all the people/groups I purchase for.  My kids don't carry cash on them when we are out but regularly want to purchase small items that they know has to come from their money.  I purchase it and when I enter the receipt just break out the portion for each kid.  I'm happy to float things for my kids so sometimes it might be 3-4 months before we straighten things up.  So each kid gets their own subcategory so it's easy to see who owes me what.  I do allow those items to sit negative from month to month (I don't know if YNAB allows that but Quicken does) because I know it will get sorted eventually.  I also have subcategories for my mom, DH's work and a volunteer group I often purchase for and then get reimbursed.

• Like 3