Menu

Dogs are weird. LOL

Tap

DD15 is gone for a few days, so she, nor her caregiver, are here. I am at work, so our dog is by itself 9 hours a day. There is almost always someone at our house, so this is odd for our very social dog. 

On days by herself, I give her an edible, but long lasting bone. I give her 2 new toys (sometimes brand new, but sometimes old toys that she hasn't had for a while).  I give her the Kong filled with frozen peanut butter. Normal food and drink. And I chop up something extra for her to snack on in her bowl (apple, cabbage, veggie etc). The snacks in her bowl are normal things that she would get during the day from DD15 not extra food.  Just some things to keep her entertained, so she doesn't get destructive.

Each night, she seems to save all these things until I get home then eats them all at once. HAHA. I have been home less than an hour. In that time, she finished her food that was in her bowl from this morning (she usually finishes it before I leave in the morning or shortly after). She ate her bone and the apple I chopped up for her this morning. She licked the PB out of the Kong. She played with her new toys.  All after I got home!!!

I know she is not sleeping all day due to our movement sensors on the alarm system, but she seems to wait for me to get home to have her food/treats/fun. 

She is Soo odd! 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Just now, Katy said:

I think that's normal.  Our dog doesn't eat until after the kids eat supper and someone is in the kitchen washing dishes.  Food is out all day.

If she normally didn't eat till night time, I would think it was typical for her. But she normally snacks all day with dd15. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Since she is used to having her pack of humans nearby, she probably is not comfortable enough being alone to relax and eat.

That is my guess as well. LOL No stress eating for her HAHA

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My dog is the same way.  If I have to go out for an extended interval, I feed him and STAND RIGHT NEXT TO HIS BOWL until he eats at least some of it, before departing. Because he will not eat another morsel until I get back.  I don't think he drinks any water either, unless it's from the toilet bowl (sigh), because that too is full to the rim when I get back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Dogs are definitely weird! I love them all 😁. They’re also a lot like toddlers. We can have an antler lying around on the floor all day, then if my big dog (who could NOT care less about the antler and never touches it!) walks by it, my other dog will zoom over ASAP and grab it and start chewing it for like 10 seconds.lol 

Another funny thing she does—If my bigger dog is resting someplace *she* wants to rest, she will bark like something serious is really going on outside to make him pop up and run to see what’s going on, then she will slyly slink her way into his warm spot on the couch. It’s hilarious to watch because we can see it coming a mile away, and he falls for it every.single.time.  he’s super sweet, she’s...well, a bit conniving lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

My pup likes food and water so much better if it's being fed to him or put in his bowl when he's right there.  Same exact food.  Whatever.  When he was younger, he would fling the food out of the bowl and then eat it off the floor / ground.  I guess it keeps life interesting.

I was just thinking about posting some weird things about my pup before I saw this post.  I thought it would be fun to share and see if there are any commonalities.  So ... my pup gets really angry and upset whenever I blow my nose.  Even if I am far away and behind a closed door.  And I'm not one of those foghorn nose blowers, it's just a rush of air into a tissue.  Also my pup gets really zoomy when there's a paper towel around.  He MUST get that evil paper towel.  (We don't let him, because he eats them, but he won't stop trying.)

• Haha 7

For years when my youngest practiced trumpet, dog would freak.out. Bark, pace, growl, desperately claw as he tried to get into the room she was practicing in (the door, obviously, closed).  We finally had to resort to keeping him in the laundry room, door closed, so she could do it.  He never objected to *other* loud noises except thunder, of which he remains terrified... but his terror response is totally different from the ANGER response he displayed toward trumpet. The only thing we were ever able to figure is that he thought, somehow, that the trumpet was hurting her.  The behavior was definitely anger/protective, not fear like with the thunder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IME not eating when their person/people are away is super duper common in dogs. They are social (pack) animals, so being a little "off" when they're alone makes some evolutionary sense. But . . yes, yes indeed--sometimes dogs can just be weird about stuff and you cannot figure out the why of it.

Avatar Dog hates the ironing board. He's the most cuddly, mild mannered little thing normally, but touch the ironing board and he turns into Cujo and tries to attack it. And he's always been like that, from the time he was a wee puppy.

Years ago we had a dog who'd go ballistic if you put your arm under the couch. We joked that if someone broke in we'd tell them our valuables were under there.

• Haha 4

Our dog would eat fine without us, but one of the first things she'd do when we got home from being out was trot over to her water bowl and drink. It started when she was older. She was a very smart dog, and we just figured she didn't want to drink and then have to pee when we weren't there to let her out. Maybe there was some other reason, but like I said, she was smart!

• Like 4

This is a great thread.  Dogs rock!

I have a four and a half month old beagle puppy who LOVES to watch the news in the evenings.  She jumps up on the couch, sits up as tall as she can, and hangs on every word of the newscasters.  Something about the close-ups and moving squares really entertains her!  Additionally, every once in a while she lets out a deep whine/moan.  Cracks me up!  I often feel the same way when I watch the news…

This is Harper, the news hound…

9A79D3F9-8844-492E-804A-D1A05C5CBABD.thumb.jpeg.374c1f396106ebded5eadadd8e00ed78.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@Hadley Oh, she is adorable! 💓

Thank you!!!  I am, however, thinking of sending her to boarding school😂!  She has plenty of energy!

We had to put our fifteen year old beagle to sleep on my only son’s first day of college…She’s gotten us through some big changes. Now I’m too busy to notice my quiet house!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1