Menu

13 yo boys for Christmas? How do you find nifty things?

PeterPan

I looked on Amazon. Last year for my 16 year old son I found this box within a box that had the stupid switch on it. He loved it! I can't remember right now because I'm so tired but he turned it into something else eventually. But for the longest time he just enjoyed bringing it downstairs and just fiddling with it and making the switch go off LOL

• Like 1

Tools for when they leave home, model kits, wood burning kit, other hobby type stuff?  By then my boys closets were bulging from too many shirts. lol  I got them each their own set of towels in high school.  A good game with add on sets that they like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are his interests? I just let my teens loose in Best Buy and Kinokuniya and see what catches their attention span. Mine likes pretty stationary so Japanese bookstores and Daiso are where we can find cute stuff they like.

Edited by Arcadia
Typo
  • Thanks 1

What is he into?  

My teen boy is a dancer and mountain biker, so anything up those alleys is awesome to him.

He loved his Kiwico crates last year, the highest level ones

He loves Legos

And he loves to read

He has a lot of fun with remote control things too.  Cars and drones.

I was thinking of one of those world wide snack kits that sends snacks from other countries.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

You'd be surprised how much 13 yo boys love a roll of duct tape to call their own . . . . . . (it was originally done in self-defense, so they'd leave ours alone.)

I can check his stash. He started off with Dollar Tree duct tape and may have worked up to the good stuff...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What fascinates your ds? That might be helpful as a jumping off point.

He's pretty into 3 Musketeers, so I was looking at some tin figurines for that. That's as witty as I got. He's been watching youtube videos about this guy Shadiversity and his new book (which may or may not be appropriate, mercy) and the foam swords.

Anything armor, armies, etc. that direction. He plays a lot of Civ6.

2 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

I get ideas from the gift guide put out by The Kid Should See This:  https://tksstgiftguide.tumblr.com

or from uncommongoods.com

merchandise from his favorite YouTuber

subscription to universalyums.com

That universalyums looks fun! More like a school project, but neat.

Yeah, he was showing me this foam sword from the youtuber and it was $200+!!!!!!! https://calimacil.com/collections/all-larp-swords/products/imperious-larp-sword?variant=41156616454322  Since he actually plays with his foam swords, I think that needs to wait.

Ooo, that uncommon goods is perfect, very different. I'll dig in there. The REI was great too.

And I'll look at that gift guide. 😄 

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Oh wow, that's a riot!! Anything with remotes, hahaha.

53 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

mountain biker

I think we may go that direction. He has outgrown his bike and could use a new one. He's at that weird stage where he's going to grow again. If you buy a bike when they're 5'7", it's not going to fit when they're 6'2", will it? Is that a different frame or just an adjustment on the same frame? 

• Like 1

I have a kid who has been hyper focused on armor, armies, and weapons for quite a while (like 10 years). He is not allowed to have weapons, but he is allowed to learn as much as he wants, and he has a near encyclopedic knowledge about guns and other stuff. 

There are specialty magazines you can get subscriptions to.

He might really like the game Rimworld (which is available through Steam).

Civ 6 shirts: https://www.redbubble.com/shop/civilization+t-shirts

Does he have the coordination to paint minifigs?  My kid can't write in print or cursive in any sort of a legible way, but he can do fine detail painting. It's crazy.

Has he read any D&D stuff? There is a huge social opportunity there as a lot of quirky boys/men are into D&D, and there are often community nights in the specialty shops for game play. Once he has the basic 5e books (player's handbook, etc.), this is a fun add-on: https://www.amazon.com/Xanathars-Guide-Everything-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966114/ref=sr_1_20?crid=27Y3CGSE03BHJ&dchild=1&keywords=dungeons+and+dragons+5th+edition&qid=1634597584&sr=8-20

Even if he doesn't have the social skills to play, my boys have loved just reading the handbooks and other guide books. *shoulder shrug*

If he has a switch, has he learned to play Breath of the Wild or Skyrim Elder Scrolls?

Does he have a smart phone? Learning how to text and how to use google maps navigation has been really important here. Same with booking appointments online, etc.

A smart watch? Does he have fitness goals or other things to track?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There are specialty magazines you can get subscriptions to.

Ooo, I hadn't thought about that! He is so funny with reading, and he *can* and will read when motivated. Usually nonfiction, usually brief. 

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

He might really like the game Rimworld (which is available through Steam).

Ok, we have a larger, more embarrassing problem there. Most of the games he finds on STEAM are pc, and we have macs. We have a (somewhat) older laptop handmedown pc and it *cannot* run the games he finds. Is there some efficient, affordable, non-$2-3k way to play those games? I just haven't kept up with pcs and when I looked at them at Best Buy it was pretty astonishing. I guess you get so used to things working on a $300 ipad that it seems crazy to need to pay $3k to play them, sigh.

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That is a riot!!! Yes, that is exactly what I needed. 

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If he has a switch, has he learned to play Breath of the Wild or Skyrim Elder Scrolls?

He has played BotW and Splatoon so, so much, oh my. He's x-ranked in Splatoon and completed BotW to boredom. The problem is dh doesn't want to encourage gaming. It's kinda the catch-22 in our house, kwim? If you're not reading (which he doesn't for pleasure), you're doing something. And gaming is already a lot here, sigh.

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Has he read any D&D stuff? There is a huge social opportunity there

Yeah, I hear you. He'd fall down that rabbit hole pretty easily, sigh. We haven't done it and I'm not planning to go that direction. But he's short on social, which is a whole other topic, discussion, thought process. Covid was so weird, with a lot of people pulling back. We've been using it to up his skills (self regulation and conversation), so now it's more about getting him back reconnected. That time was so big in his world, he actually doesn't know why he would, which is just such a wacky position to be in. And I keep thinking church is the way, but it might not work. That means another group and I haven't figured out that far. 

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Does he have a smart phone? Learning how to text and how to use google maps navigation has been really important here. Same with booking appointments online, etc.

A smart watch? Does he have fitness goals or other things to track?

He dreams, hahaha. He uses other people's phones and he does a LOT with it on his computer. That may be a wait another year thing, dunno. Other than while we're on a cruise ship, it's not really a pressing problem as he's usually with someone.

At this point my 12yo is getting new pajamas and my husband will download a video game/s onto the Switch.

We don’t quite know what we are getting the other kids right now.  If that balances with the other kids we are good with that.  

We usually get each of the kids their own popcorn tin, as well.  

50 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I think we may go that direction. He has outgrown his bike and could use a new one. He's at that weird stage where he's going to grow again. If you buy a bike when they're 5'7", it's not going to fit when they're 6'2", will it? Is that a different frame or just an adjustment on the same frame? 

Buy the bike that fits now. You can always sell it when he outgrows it.

Bikes that don’t fit properly are difficult to manage and can be dangerous. (From a mama whose son used to race triathlons, road cycling, cyclocross and mountain biking)

• Thanks 1

Foamsmith books! Punished Props Academy - same guy, just the YouTube channel. The books are good. He can make his own foam swords and armor. Kamui cosplay books are good, too, she does some cool armor but doesn’t always use foam. Get him some foam and a good low temp glue gun, some tools. He will need duct tape. A wood burning kit is useful but not required.

The books are on Amazon but here’s a link to get you started: https://www.punishedprops.com/shop/foamsmith-ebook/

My kid started at 11, still making at 17. 30 yr old does it, too, makes some amazing armor and swords.

Edited by Spryte
Added link
  • Thanks 1

Archie McPhee

The Unemployed Philosopher's guild

Ali Express (but seriously, order NOW and don't be surprised if some of the intended Christmas presents go in the Easter Basket-i have had stuff take 3+ months before)-especially good for fandom stuff, particularly Anime. 

KickStarter, but again, I often back stuff that doesn't actually arrive for another several holidays. 

Etsy-again, especially good for fandom stuff. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 1

My older son made a foam project last year when he was 15-16.  He would not have been able to do it when he was 13.  I think he is pretty decent at this kind of thing — I am sure many kids can do it younger, but I think it would be hard for a lot of 13 yo.  

Otoh maybe the project he picked was a harder one.  He had to re-do some parts several times.  He made a Boba Fett helmet with a pattern and instructions he found online.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

You'd be surprised how much 13 yo boys love a roll of duct tape to call their own . . . . . . (it was originally done in self-defense, so they'd leave ours alone.)

that's a good stocking stuffer from age 10 or so!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Does he have the coordination to paint minifigs?  My kid can't write in print or cursive in any sort of a legible way, but he can do fine detail painting. It's crazy.

Has he read any D&D stuff? There is a huge social opportunity there as a lot of quirky boys/men are into D&D, and there are often community nights in the specialty shops for game play. Once he has the basic 5e books (player's handbook, etc.), this is a fun add-on: https://www.amazon.com/Xanathars-Guide-Everything-Wizards-Team/dp/0786966114/ref=sr_1_20?crid=27Y3CGSE03BHJ&dchild=1&keywords=dungeons+and+dragons+5th+edition&qid=1634597584&sr=8-20

Speaking of D&D and minifigs, these custom minifigs are so fun! We have a couple.

https://anvl.co/custom-miniatures

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Foamsmith books! Punished Props Academy - same guy, just the YouTube channel. The books are good. He can make his own foam swords and armor. Kamui cosplay books are good, too, she does some cool armor but doesn’t always use foam. Get him some foam and a good low temp glue gun, some tools. He will need duct tape. A wood burning kit is useful but not required.

The books are on Amazon but here’s a link to get you started: https://www.punishedprops.com/shop/foamsmith-ebook/

My kid started at 11, still making at 17. 30 yr old does it, too, makes some amazing armor and swords.

That's pretty wow!! He might be just on the cusp of that. He runs about 2 ½ years young with his ASD. Right now, he's making things with cardboard and duct tape. So he's probably on the edge of that. But definitely amazing, definitely something I can keep track of, thanks!

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

A t-shirt?

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

Eight

Regards,

Kareni

Definitely some winners there!

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

My older son made a foam project last year when he was 15-16.  He would not have been able to do it when he was 13.  I think he is pretty decent at this kind of thing — I am sure many kids can do it younger, but I think it would be hard for a lot of 13 yo.  

Otoh maybe the project he picked was a harder one.  He had to re-do some parts several times.  He made a Boba Fett helmet with a pattern and instructions he found online.  

Yeah, I think ds is going to be on the later side for that. I could totally see him wanting to, but not quite yet. He just doesn't have the skills to sequence so much and make it happen. 

2 hours ago, Lecka said:

I think this is the one my son made last year.

Very wow!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's pretty wow!! He might be just on the cusp of that. He runs about 2 ½ years young with his ASD. Right now, he's making things with cardboard and duct tape. So he's probably on the edge of that. But definitely amazing, definitely something I can keep track of, thanks!

Definitely some winners there!

Yeah, I think ds is going to be on the later side for that. I could totally see him wanting to, but not quite yet. He just doesn't have the skills to sequence so much and make it happen. 

Very wow!!

There is a series geared to younger kids written by some homeschoolers, I’ll try to find it to link. IIRC it was more duct tape and cardboard. My kid started young, with easier stuff and worked his way up. By 9th grade he was attending workshops for advanced foam armor making though, so he was definitely the young side. I forget that sometimes.

ETA: Here it is! I think it was written by homeschool kids, I could be wrong. We didn’t use it, but gave it to some kids who were younger than DS and liked his work. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-barbarian-book-mark-erickson/1120146071 There’s a whole series, and they are on Amazon — I just can’t get it to link. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another fun project—PVC pipe inserted in pool noodle. Cardboard hand guard (simple circle with a slit and hole in the middle), leave some PVC pipe for a handle under it. Wrap it all in duct tape, lots of duct tape. Foam sword! We did this with 12 kids at a maker day once, very fun. They were in the 10-11 age range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about an ‘Army’ (ish) satchel to put all of his army gear in?

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Canvas-NATO-Medic-Black/dp/B000ICIJT4/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=army%2Bsatchel%2Bbag&qid=1634645738&sr=8-23&th=1&psc=1

If he doesn’t have gear, fill it up! Flashlight, duct tape, survivor bracelet things, MREs, compass, map/book (I think Bear Grylls wrote one??, whistle, water purifying tabs, glow sticks, etc  (this stuff is easy to find in camping sections of Walmart, academy, Dick’s, REI, whatever)

Does he have a camelbak or would like one? My boys have had these for YEARS and they’ve been used countless times (sometimes just around the house 😂

(you could get an adult one if this seems too small)

Edited by mmasc

One thing we've done for DS for his birthday some years & would also work for Christmas is our own Book of the Month Club. I buy a dozen books (sounds like in this case it would be non-fiction on attractive topics) and give him the first one and a note, and set a reminder to give him the rest on the designated day of the month for the rest of the year.

I'm not at all sure I want to turn my DS loose with duct tape. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My DS (14) is more fashion conscious than the rest of the family. So he usually asks for specific clothes.  For stocking stuffers I give him junk food which I know he likes but which I usually won’t buy.  He likes to read, so fiction books that go along with his interests, or are part of a series I know he likes. He also likes funny tee shirts. 

a pocket knife would always be a good bet for most boys I know.

I’ve thought my kids would get a kick out of MREs, but haven’t done it yet.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Hmmm any recs?

Mine is into anything spicy - Takis chips, spicy peanuts, spicy jerky, spicy Mexican candies. Spicy Cheetos

Also pop tarts, Pringles in the little can , expensive bottled sodas, trail mix

some are less junky than others, but I don’t buy a lot of packaged snacks

Edited by Emba
  • Thanks 1

Ive been brainstorming- on my list of possibilities:

Woodworking kit or tools, workout stuff- weights, punching bag, etc., pocket knife, real tools, bow and arrows and target, heavy-duty sling shot, flash lights- clip on your head kind, trapper hat (definitely getting my boys these), wallet, and they need lots of clothes and shoes since they've outgrown everything!  I haven't decided what I'm getting yet, this is just my ideas list.

Weird ideas- hammock, stilts, bull head and roping thing?

• Like 2