Menu

Grey or gray? (with bonus baby animal video!)

MercyA

Gray or grey?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you spell the color gray or grey?

• Gray
    • Grey
    • I use both, depending on my mood / inclination / spell-checker / audience / other.

• MercyA changed the title to Grey or gray? (with bonus baby animal video!)

Hmm - I answered both before it computed that you were asking specifically about the use of the word as it relates to color. For color, I use “gray.” When I use it as an adjective that isn’t a color,  I use “grey.”

Elephants are gray.

There are grey areas in ethics. 

The sky is gray.

She’s in a grey mood - hopefully she’ll cheer up. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Katy said:

Gray is American English. Grey is British English.

Yes, and while I wholly disagree with their stance on aluminum/aluminium, I'm a bit partial to grey. It seems more gentle than gray.

Edited by SusanC
made my stance less grey
  • Thanks 1

I've always spelled it grey. I also cross my Zs. 

DS spent his early learning to spell years when we lived in Canada, so he mostly uses British spelling. His freshman AP history teacher (who is Canadian) tried without success to Americanize his spelling; eventually the teacher just gave up. DS is in university in Ireland now so I guess it all worked out. Lol

He also learned units of measurements in Canada and because they use a mishmash of metric and imperial he learned them simultaneously. 🙂 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Yes, and while I wholly disagree with their stance on aluminum/aluminium, I'm a bit partial to grey. It seems more gentle than gray.

Unfortunately they do make a good point about aluminium, though. I’m afraid we North Americans are just in the wrong there. Lol

• Like 3

Sometimes I like spelling it grey. I feel like... is there a Madeleine L'Engle book where a character muses on this? I'm not sure, but I think so. And says that grey feels more rich. I can't remember at all what was said, but I came away feeling grey is the color of a stormy sky, while gray feels more flat like the huge between black and white on a dull page.

But I know it's just an American/British spelling difference. Grey is never "correct" in an American publication and vice versa for gray in the UK, Australia, etc.