Menu

Flu/Covid vaccine timing for 12yodd?

Tenaj

What are you hearing about the current recommendations?  What does the "Hive" think about the timing of these two vaccines? 

My 12yodd had her first Covid vaccine on September 3.   We are in the middle of her volleyball season so I've been trying to time the second shot when there is a gap between games so about the time an appropriate gap happened toward the end of September, we had a non-Covid virus run through the house and I didn't want her to have the vaccine when she wasn't feeling her best already.  She received the flu vaccine yesterday morning at her pediatrician's and I just found out that we have a gap of 5 days now before the next volleyball game so I could take her this morning for her Covid vaccine and she would have ample time to recover before the next volleyball game.  

I know that the health department is saying you can get both shots on the same day even but I'm trying to figure out whether that would be the best timing or if I should wait another week before I have her take the second Covid vaccine.  In general, we try to spread vaccines out to give our bodies a better chance to respond well.  I'm just not sure if that is necessary in this case or not?

My daughter's doctor (nephrologist) recommended getting them at the same time.  She says a combined shot is now in development (I think Moderna) My daughter is getting her Covid booster along with flu shot.  I got the flu vaccine yesterday, no symptoms other than stinging when it went in.  Not even a sore arm.  I'm not an expert though, just passing along what doctor is recommending for my child, she tends to be pretty conservative and protective of my daughter's health for the past ten years.  

Good luck with your decision making.  I know how hard it is to figure these things out and weigh the options.

Kimberly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Does she normally have any side effects from flu shot? If not, go ahead and get the Covid vaccine. 

I don't remember any effects from last year.  My younger 4 all got the flu shot the same day last year and I don't remember any of them complaining.  Unless she wakes up this morning not feeling well, I think we'll go get the second Pfizer this morning.  Thanks!