Menu

S/O booster timing

MEmama

I didn’t want to derail @ktgrok’s thread (Katie, I’m so, so sorry to hear about your sister 😞 ) and I am *not* minimizing the need for vulnerable people to get their boosters ASAP (for medical, healthcare, childcare etc exposure reasons). My question is how important is it for those of us who have very little exposure to get them as soon as we are eligible?

DH is still working from home. He’s technically qualified for a booster due to age (just 50) and diabetes (not type 1 or 2 and very well managed). I’m not working and pretty much only go out (masked always) to the grocery or Target or to walk (not masked) with a friend. Our community is high vax and our exposure is very limited. Is it still advisable to jump on the booster right away, or are we “ better off” waiting a little further out?

DS is a different consideration. He’s at university in a high vax country and while I know he masks indoors (currently mandated and also he’s extremely cautious), he has asthma and well, he’s still a uni student. I imagine he should get a booster when he’s home for the winter holidays. 

It seemed unanimous on the other thread that people want their boosters ASAP, but if we are low exposure is it considered advisable?

(also I’m not looking for and won’t read anti vax nonsense—please no trolling. I'm just looking for thoughtful, informed insight into best practices. Thx)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I didn’t want to derail @ktgrok’s thread (Katie, I’m so, so sorry to hear about your sister 😞 ) and I am *not* minimizing the need for vulnerable people to get their boosters ASAP (for medical, healthcare, childcare etc exposure reasons). My question is how important is it for those of us who have very little exposure to get them as soon as we are eligible?

DH is still working from home. He’s technically qualified for a booster due to age (just 50) and diabetes (not type 1 or 2 and very well managed). I’m not working and pretty much only go out (masked always) to the grocery or Target or to walk (not masked) with a friend. Our community is high vax and our exposure is very limited. Is it still advisable to jump on the booster right away, or are we “ better off” waiting a little further out?

DS is a different consideration. He’s at university in a high vax country and while I know he masks indoors (currently mandated and also he’s extremely cautious), he has asthma and well, he’s still a uni student. I imagine he should get a booster when he’s home for the winter holidays. 

It seemed unanimous on the other thread that people want their boosters ASAP, but if we are low exposure is it considered advisable?

(also I’m not looking for and won’t read anti vax nonsense—please no trolling. I'm just looking for thoughtful, informed insight into best practices. Thx)

Dh and I would probably wait a bit if it was just the two of us at home. But, we’re in the middle of moving and living in a hotel for a month and will be seeing our college dc (who are in classes and going out and about) quite often. It just seems to us like we should go ahead and get the booster but if not for the move and visiting dc we could easily wait and not worry.

• Thanks 1

I’m honestly very motivated because my mom and many of her friends seem blasé about it to me.  If I get it, I think it will make my mom more likely to get it.  

Edit:  I think there are some weird messages out there about Pfizer vs Moderna!  I mean — my understanding is that someone who is elderly and got Moderna will probably want a booster soon after they get approved.  My mom’s is more that boosters are a Pfizer thing.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MEmama said:

If you son is coming home to stay with you and coming from a higher risk environment, then that actually increases your risk. If he were not coming home, then maybe you could wait. But if he is, I would think that if his immunity will be waning, he could easily bring covid home with him. If you have already had your booster, then you have that layer of protection. Part and parcel in all of this is stopping spread regardless of personal risk factors, so anything to reduce the chances of getting it and then asymptomatically spreading or in that window before coming symptomatic spreading while at Target or out walking with your friend etc. is important. Masks are good, but they only go so far when viral load is high. While vaxed folks can be carriers, they are at far lower rates than unvaxed persons. So in my not expert opinion, and I do not play a doctor on t.v. or in real life 😁, I think that it is important for as many people as possible to keep their immunity up as much as they can for the sake of public health even if personal risks are perceived to be low.

I will also say that I have zero evidence for this, but I think there may be unknown genetic factors at play which makes determining actual risk difficult. I have seen it just wipe out whole families just about, then in others be easy peasy to kick, and this is across ages. I have seen people with multiple conditions that should have made covid a killer who barely had the sniffles, and then young folks that were "healthy as a horse" die or get long covid. Someday I truly think they will discover genetic factors at play that could not be considered in the risk calculation as most people have never had their genomes sequenced. I am not sure anyone can truly make any kind of accurate estimation of their real risk value. But again, not w doctor, and so have never had a role on "House"! 😂

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I’m honestly very motivated because my mom and many of her friends seem blasé about it to me.  If I get it, I think it will make my mom more likely to get it.  

Edit:  I think there are some weird messages out there about Pfizer vs Moderna!  I mean — my understanding is that someone who is elderly and got Moderna will probably want a booster soon after they get approved.  My mom’s is more that boosters are a Pfizer thing.  

My parents got the Moderna and are anxiously waiting for the booster. They’ll be first in line—they are in their mid 80’s and travel internationally quite a bit. For them it definitely makes sense to not wait. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If you son is coming home to stay with you and coming from a higher risk environment, then that actually increases your risk. If he were not coming home, then maybe you could wait. But if he is, I would think that if his immunity will be waning, he could easily bring covid home with him. If you have already had your booster, then you have that layer of protection. Part and parcel in all of this is stopping spread regardless of personal risk factors, so anything to reduce the chances of getting it and then asymptomatically spreading or in that window before coming symptomatic spreading while at Target or out walking with your friend etc. is important. Masks are food, but they only go so far when viral load is high. While vaxed folks can be carriers, they are at far lower rates than unvaxed persons. So in my not expert opinion, and I do not play a doctor on t.v. or in real life 😁, I think that it is important for as many people as possible to keep their immunity up as much as they can for the sake of public health even if personal risks are perceived to be low.

I will also say that I have zero evidence for this, but I think there may be unknown genetic factors at play which makes determining actual risk difficult. I have seen it just wipe out whole families just about, then in others be easy peasy to kick, and this is across ages. I have seen people with multiple conditions that should have made covid a killer who barely had the sniffles, and then young folks that were healthy bad horses die or get long covid. Someday I truly think they will discover genetic factors at play that could not be considered in the risk calculation as most people have never had their genomes sequenced. I am not sure anyone can truly make any kind of accurate estimation of their real risk value. But again, not w doctor, and so have never had a role on "House"! 😂

That’s a good point about getting the booster before he comes home on break. I hadn’t considered that. Ireland actually has one of the highest vax rates in the world so his wider community is even safer than my high vax small American town community, but still, college student practices are far from perfect. Lol. I’ll be eligible for my booster a few weeks before he comes home.

I agree that it seems likely that genetics play a role. It will be fascinating to learn about all the new information that will come out of this pandemic. 

To be clear, I’m extremely pro vax and pro public health measures. I’m definitely not looking for excuses to not get a booster, just trying to learn when the optimal timing might be for someone who has low exposure and isn’t out and about much. Thanks for your insight. 🙂 

eta December puts me at 8 months. Is the recommendation six months now? 

Edited by MEmama

16 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I will also say that I have zero evidence for this, but I think there may be unknown genetic factors at play which makes determining actual risk difficult.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01827-w There's a known list of genes where being homozygous radically increases your risk of a severe response to covid, yes.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MEmama said:

My parents got the Moderna and are anxiously waiting for the booster. They’ll be first in line—they are in their mid 80’s and travel internationally quite a bit. For them it definitely makes sense to not wait. 

FYI, for CVS and Publix (and Im sure other places too) where you can schedule an appointment online, you can check the box for 3rd dose Moderna for immune compromised and they don't ask again when you show up for the vaccine. 

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That’s a good point about getting the booster before he comes home on break. I hadn’t considered that. Ireland actually has one of the highest vax rates in the world so his wider community is even safer than my high vax small American town community, but still, college student practices are far from perfect. Lol. I’ll be eligible for my booster a few weeks before he comes home.

Plus, he will have been on a plane, and in airports, where not everyone is form Ireland, you know?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

FYI, for CVS and Publix (and Im sure other places too) where you can schedule an appointment online, you can check the box for 3rd dose Moderna for immune compromised and they don't ask again when you show up for the vaccine. 

Plus, he will have been on a plane, and in airports, where not everyone is form Ireland, you know?

Thanks—I’ll let my parents know; I think they have CVS. Right now they are overseas for the month but have another trip in December. They are anxious to be as protected as possible.

Yeah, good points. I’ll plan for DH and I to get our boosters before he comes home. And of course DS will get his when he’s here. If the schedule is still 8 months out I can get it a few weeks before his flight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thanks—I’ll let my parents know; I think they have CVS. Right now they are overseas for the month but have another trip in December. They are anxious to be as protected as possible.

Yeah, good points. I’ll plan for DH and I to get our boosters before he comes home. And of course DS will get his when he’s here. If the schedule is still 8 months out I can get it a few weeks before his flight. 

They made it 6 months from your last dose, not 8 months. Immunity starts waning for Pfizer at 4 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DH and I are monitoring our antibodies before getting a booster.  None of us in our household caught covid from my mom during her breakthrough case over the summer.  I kind of feel like her exposure to us was a natural booster.  That's just my theory.  Our antibodies are high.  The kids were vaxxed in June.  So we're not jumping on getting boosters right now unless our antibody levels drop significantly. I'm not saying we won't ever get one, but I think it is really unnecessary for us right now. 

• Like 2

I am planning to get my next dose when I take dd11 to get her first dose.  We have fairly low exposure now (dh and dd17 work), but we will be getting quite a lot of exposure when the college kids come home.  I want to be as vaxxed as possible by the holidays.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Super helpful to know, thanks! My 85yo mom is almost 8 months out she got Moderna. Checking in with her about the booster today.

I am 7 months out, diabetic, and had Moderna too, so I will go for my third too.

Dh and our kids were vaxed later and got Phizer. They have also had covid, so they’ll wait a bit.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I am about to say something unpopular. I can't condone the above advice. People complain about healthcare all the time in the US. Committing fraud to attain healthcare does not improve the situation. So, as much as I want those who can to be vaxxed/obtain 3rd doses/get a booster, I just can't support lying in this way. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

DH and I are monitoring our antibodies before getting a booster.  None of us in our household caught covid from my mom during her breakthrough case over the summer.  I kind of feel like her exposure to us was a natural booster.  That's just my theory.  Our antibodies are high.  The kids were vaxxed in June.  So we're not jumping on getting boosters right now unless our antibody levels drop significantly. I'm not saying we won't ever get one, but I think it is really unnecessary for us right now. 

Where are you getting your antibodies tested?  DH and I are able to get a Pfizer booster at the end of this month.  My elderly dad in mid-November.  None of us have had a known case of Covid nor are we aware of being exposed/close contact with someone with Covid.  We were locked down pretty tight until summer time.

9 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I am about to say something unpopular. I can't condone the above advice. People complain about healthcare all the time in the US. Committing fraud to attain healthcare does not improve the situation. So, as much as I want those who can to be vaxxed/obtain 3rd doses/get a booster, I just can't support lying in this way. 

I’m not sure what the requirements are for a third Moderna. While my parents wouldn’t lie, they do need to be as protected as possible so if they are eligible in any way, they’ll want to take advantage. I appreciate knowing that there’s a potential option for them; now I can help look into it further in case they can get a third shot before their next trip. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, barnwife said:

That's fine. I'd rather have my mom alive, with you disapproving than dead with your approval. She has COPD and low oxygen saturation all the time now. Getting Covid will kill her.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

That's fine. I'd rather have my mom alive, with you disapproving than dead with your approval. She has COPD and low oxygen saturation all the time now. Getting Covid will kill her.

Katie—are those not “enough” for her to be eligible?

• Like 1

I have been wondering about this too.   It seems like there just isn't good evidence on this yet, although some have theorized that later is better.  

My parents were vaccinated with Pfizer in January and just got their boosters, which I'm delighted about.   DH and I were vaccinated in April, the the older kids were May.  Our family has very little exposure and will stay that way until DS11 is fully vaccinated -- presumably mid-December -- so I think we're going to just hold off on the boosters until then.  Hopefully we'll learn more about optimal timing in the coming months. 

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

If you got Moderna for the first two shots, as Katie's parents did, then you aren't eligible at all for a booster dose of Pfizer.

However, if you qualify as immunocompromised then you can get the additional dose of Pfizer (even if your first two were Moderna), not as a booster, but as a continuation of the original vaccination series because it has been shown that many immunocompromised individuals do not develop enough immunity after only two doses.

So the standard is much higher to qualify for a third shot if your first two were Moderna. You are supposed to meet a certain definition of immunocompromised...not just have any medical condition that could make Covid more severe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Not for Moderna, no. For a 3rd dose of Moderna you need to be on a very short list of medication, be in active treatment for certain kinds of cancer, and one or two other things. That's it. Being 70 yrs old with low 02 sats and missing 1 lobe of your lung is not "immune compromised" according to that criteria. Which is obviously insane, given that for a Pfizer booster you just have to have a BMI over 25 and you can get it. 

And she can't afford for the rules to catch up with the reality on the ground. 

Most who would be eligible for a booster if they had Pfizer are not able to get anything if they had Moderna, at least according to the rule. Following those rules means some will die. I have no issue with people bucking the system to save their lives, or avoid possible permanent neurological damage like my sister now has. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Following those rules means some will die. I have no issue with people bucking the system to save their lives, or avoid possible permanent neurological damage like my sister now has. 

I also have no issues with people obfuscating a bit to save lives.

For those who are uncomfortable with that, my understanding is that doctors can now "prescribe" Pfizer doses to anyone they want since it has full use authorization. So people who have many health conditions, but do not meet the immunocompromised definition, could see if their doctor will give them a dose of Pfizer despite them having been initially vaccinated with Moderna.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, MEmama said:

It seems to me that they are distinguishing between immune compromised and serious underlying conditions--for Moderna third shot it is only immune compromised.  You can get Pfizer Booster if you are over 65 or have serious underlying conditions.  

Can anyone tell me if the third shot of Moderna is stronger than the booster that we are waiting for from Moderna?

• Like 2

For the OP-if your DH is LADA, getting a booster might be better earlier than later. As a LADA diabetic who is, currently, able to control it just with diet, my endocrinologist has advised me to get the vaccine/booster, flu shot, etc ASAP-because a LADA diabetic is one infection from becoming a type 1 diabetic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It seems to me that they are distinguishing between immune compromised and serious underlying conditions--for Moderna third shot it is only immune compromised.  You can get Pfizer Booster if you are over 65 or have serious underlying conditions.  

Can anyone tell me if the third shot of Moderna is stronger than the booster that we are waiting for from Moderna?

Yes. The Moderna 3rd dose is the regular moderna dose, the booster will be half that. (Pfizer booster is the same dose as the first two doses)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

Yes. The Moderna 3rd dose is the regular moderna dose, the booster will be half that. (Pfizer booster is the same dose as the first two doses)

Ok.  Thanks.  My mom had heard that last night on the news....and she is leaning toward waiting for the Moderna booster because her immune compromised sister got the third shot and got really really sick.  And my parents have very low exposure.  Really they go no where except her pain doctor once a month or so.  

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ok.  Thanks.  My mom had heard that last night on the news....and she is leaning toward waiting for the Moderna booster because her immune compromised sister got the third shot and got really really sick.  And my parents have very low exposure.  Really they go no where except her pain doctor once a month or so.  

If very locked down, waiting a month to see if booster is available seems fine. For those exposed more - via children, etc, - waiting probably isn't worth it. 

• Like 2

Just now, ktgrok said:

If very locked down, waiting a month to see if booster is available seems fine. For those exposed more - via children, etc, - waiting probably isn't worth it. 

It was actually your sister's story that got me to start pushing my dh to get his Pfizer booster now.  He is at 6 1/2 months.

• Like 2

I was planning to wait a bit for mine, instead of getting it at the six month mark. My ideal was to get it when 10 yr old DD gets hers, hopefully in a few weeks. We are pretty low risk here, and it seemed like a good calculation.

And then I spent that night in the ER waiting room with a lot of very sick people and no social distancing. And realized that, for me anyway, the risk calculation can change drastically on any given day. My risk was very low — until it wasn’t. And there was no predicting when/if that would happen, you know? Our ERs here are overloaded.

So I got mine at six months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Is it still advisable to jump on the booster right away, or are we “ better off” waiting a little further out?

Protection from Pfizer starts to drop quite sharply around 4 months, and is very low by 6 months. The data from Qatar suggests that by 6 months there is little to no protection against infection, although there was still decent protection against hospitalization and death. I haven't seen any evidence, or even suggestion, that waiting more than 6 months leads to better immunity, and you will be at increased risk of infection by that point.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I live in a very high vax area and my current level of exposure is quite limited. But I also recognize that just because my current activities (like a quick trip to TJs in a Happy Mask) are low risk, doesn't mean I couldn't suddenly find myself in a high risk situation, e.g. if I or a loved one were in an accident and ended up hospitalized, if I needed to fly on short notice if my son or parents in another state were seriously ill or injured, if I needed to go to a hotel due to a house fire or storm damage or even just burst pipes or something, etc. I would not want to suddenly find myself in a high risk situation with little to no protection against infection.

So, based on the data I have seen so far, and not seeing any evidence that waiting more than 6 months increases protection, I plan to get a booster the minute I am eligible.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

For the OP-if your DH is LADA, getting a booster might be better earlier than later. As a LADA diabetic who is, currently, able to control it just with diet, my endocrinologist has advised me to get the vaccine/booster, flu shot, etc ASAP-because a LADA diabetic is one infection from becoming a type 1 diabetic. 

I’m not sure what LADA is?

He's diabetic because he lost part of his pancreas after a bout of pancreatitis (which was likely due to a medication side effect). I’ll have him check in with his doctor re: a booster sooner than later. Obviously my main goal is to keep him fully protected. 🙂 

19 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I was planning to wait a bit for mine, instead of getting it at the six month mark. My ideal was to get it when 10 yr old DD gets hers, hopefully in a few weeks. We are pretty low risk here, and it seemed like a good calculation.

And then I spent that night in the ER waiting room with a lot of very sick people and no social distancing. And realized that, for me anyway, the risk calculation can change drastically on any given day. My risk was very low — until it wasn’t. And there was no predicting when/if that would happen, you know? Our ERs here are overloaded.

18 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Protection from Pfizer starts to drop quite sharply around 4 months, and is very low by 6 months. The data from Qatar suggests that by 6 months there is little to no protection against infection, although there was still decent protection against hospitalization and death. I haven't seen any evidence, or even suggestion, that waiting more than 6 months leads to better immunity, and you will be at increased risk of infection by that point.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I live in a very high vax area and my current level of exposure is quite limited. But I also recognize that just because my current activities (like a quick trip to TJs in a Happy Mask) are low risk, doesn't mean I couldn't suddenly find myself in a high risk situation, e.g. if I or a loved one were in an accident and ended up hospitalized, if I needed to fly on short notice if my son or parents in another state were seriously ill or injured, if I needed to go to a hotel due to a house fire or storm damage or even just burst pipes or something, etc. I would not want to suddenly find myself in a high risk situation with little to no protection against infection.

So, based on the data I have seen so far, and not seeing any evidence that waiting more than 6 months increases protection, I plan to get a booster the minute I am eligible.

Really good points— thank you. It seems clear there’s no point in waiting.

I appreciate all the information and insight! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I’m not sure what LADA is?

He's diabetic because he lost part of his pancreas after a bout of pancreatitis (which was likely due to a medication side effect). I’ll have him check in with his doctor re: a booster sooner than later. Obviously my main goal is to keep him fully protected. 🙂 

Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults. Basically, your immune system is primed to attack the pancreas, but hasn't done so to the degree needed to cause anything more than a slight rise in A1C. It usually presents as pre-diabetes or early type 2, but treating it as type 2 is not effective and can accelerate progression. Diagnosed by having pancreatic antibodies, and treated as an autoimmune disease. 

If his is due to past  injury, it may be less an issue, but given that COVID seems to trigger diabetes in some people with no prior pancreatic issues, it's definitely something I'd be concerned about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Exactly. I was SO glad my mom already had her booster when my sister ended up in the hospital. There was no way to keep my mom from going to be with her - and mom in the ER with no booster would have been scary. 

• Like 5

I am at almost 10 month out from my Moderna and not eligible, even though I work in first response.  Oct 28 will be 10 months.  I can't do the box checking thing because my conscience would torment me and I don't need more stress in my life.  Thinking about doing antibody testing.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I am at almost 10 month out from my Moderna and not eligible, even though I work in first response.  Oct 28 will be 10 months.  I can't do the box checking thing because my conscience would torment me and I don't need more stress in my life.  Thinking about doing antibody testing.

Will your doc write an order for a Pfizer booster for you, based on a high-risk job?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barnwife said:

I agree with you.  Are we going to trust the FDA and the CDC with their guidance on who should be vaccinated and boosters and encourage others to do the same?  Are we going to trust others not to lie about medical conditions and facts?  

37 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Looking at the CDC page, it doesn’t look like I’m eligible even though it’s been 6 months. I’m very confused. 

Everyone over 18 with BMI of 25 and above is eligible — that's literally 3/4 of the entire adult population. Add in all the other criteria and probably 90% of adults meet at least one of the criteria. IMO the FDA basically tried to approve it for everyone without making it obvious they were approving it for everyone.  If you're in the tiny minority who don't technically meet any of the criteria, I'd just pick one of the boxes to check — if you're not technically overweight but your weight fluctuates and you've been over 25 BMI in the past, check the BMI box. If you've ever been a smoker (including weed in college), check the "current or former smoker" box. If you're a homeschooler, check the "teacher" box.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Here is my best understanding.

One has to ask oneself about one's goals for the vaccine and the booster.

If one doesn't have a strong concern about contracting a breakthrough case of Covid (with a low probability of hospitalization and death) and one isn't in a position where being contagious with Covid as a result doesn't put a loved one, family member, other other in one's care at high risk of harm, then one might delay. The two doses do seem to wane against protection from infection and infectiousness after 6 months, but appear to remain mostly effective against severe illness.

If one hopes to get antibody levels high, so as to protect oneself (and others) from a breakthrough illness, then boosters are advisable.

Bill 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I’m not sure what the requirements are for a third Moderna. While my parents wouldn’t lie, they do need to be as protected as possible so if they are eligible in any way, they’ll want to take advantage. I appreciate knowing that there’s a potential option for them; now I can help look into it further in case they can get a third shot before their next trip. 

The thing is, virtually everyone in their 80s is somewhat immunocompromised, that's just one of the inherent attributes of aging.

Elderly people just don't have the sort of robust immune systems that are typical in younger people.

Hopefully Moderna boosters are approved within a week or two.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I agree with you.  Are we going to trust the FDA and the CDC with their guidance on who should be vaccinated and boosters and encourage others to do the same?  Are we going to trust others not to lie about medical conditions and facts?  

Since what the WHO thinks the US should do as a country is irrelevant to my assessment of my personal health risks, I will go with the data over the opinion of a committee that is trying to walk a very thin line between protecting Americans and appeasing the WHO. The fact that the committee members consider protection against hospitalization and death to be "good enough" does not mean that I consider that "good enough" for my own personal heath. The idea that a fit, healthy 18 year old who works the overnight shift stocking grocery shelves qualifies for a booster, but a 64 year old with a BMI of 24 does not, is simply ridiculous.

There is a clear difference between someone who is going above and beyond the recommendations in order to protect themselves and others around them, and someone who is lying in order to defy requirements and put others at risk. Someone who gets booster without strictly meeting the criteria takes a very small personal risk that does not affect others; those who lie to avoid getting a vaccine are risking the lives of others without their knowledge or consent. There is no comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

This scares me for my teens.  They are at 4 months now.   What the heck are we supposed to do for our teens?   I can't remember, what are they doing in Israel for them???

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Here is my best understanding.

One has to ask oneself about one's goals for the vaccine and the booster.

If one doesn't have a strong concern about contracting a breakthrough case of Covid (with a low probability of hospitalization and death) and one isn't in a position where being contagious with Covid as a result doesn't put a loved one, family member, other other in one's care at high risk of harm, then one might delay. The two doses do seem to wane against protection from infection and infectiousness after 6 months, but appear to remain mostly effective against severe illness.

If one hopes to get antibody levels high, so as to protect oneself (and others) from a breakthrough illness, then boosters are advisable.

Bill 

I’m concerned about all of it.

My question isn’t “should I get a booster” but “when is the *optimal* time for me to get a booster”. On the other thread most responders seemed to be much higher risk than I am (teachers, healthcare workers, have kids under vax age etc). I *absolutely* wouldn’t hesitate if I checked any of those boxes. I'm concerned about getting the *most* out of my eventual booster— for myself and my community. I think everyone here knows how cautious I am and how seriously I take this. That’s why I’m asking.

There’s a lot of evolving info to keep up with and I admit I don’t always remember all of it. I come here because there are many posters whose opinions and knowledge I trust. 

At this point it seems like I ought to not wait, except I have to because I’m not eligible. Hopefully that changes before winter sets in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

CVS is making you call to schedule it it's under 6 months.  Maybe they changed it once they realized the loophole, or maybe it varies by state.

I don't know what to do.  I had Pfizer 5 and a half months ago, two of my kids are too young to vax, and I still won't meet eligibility for Pfizer at 6 months.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1