Menu

Ugh, another UTI!

ktgrok

DH and I had um, and amorous Friday/Saturday and by Sunday afternoon I had symptoms again. Wasn't totally sure, and was volunteering at the Pride festival/parade, which meant out in the heat, getting dehydrated, plus standing around in sweaty undies/leggings. Oh, and of course, under a ton of stress between my sister in the hospital, moving, etc. Ugh.

This morning was pretty sure and by this evening was miserable again. Just got antibiotics called in, a different one this time. They wanted me to go to Quest to get my urine checked, but there are no appointments for days so they said to just start the meds and not bother, since testing after starting meds won't be accurate. But  if it comes back again soon I have to go to urgent care to get a culture sent out. 

• Sad 13

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Always, always, always urinate IMMEDIATELY after vigorous activity. No sleep, no cuddling, flush the pipes. It's some of the best advice I ever received.

I normally do, but I can't remember if I did both times this weekend. 

I realize another "risk factor" is I've had stress diarrhea...which I think I remember reading can make it more likely bacteria get to the wrong place. 

And...stress eating cookies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

So sorry, but glad you are on meds!

Yes to flushing the pipes. And echoing daily D Mannose. I do think I’ve stopped a few low level near misses from becoming big deals with D Mannose. But once I’ve got symptoms — abx all the way. The diarrhea could have been an issue, too, honestly. You know all that though.

If you start getting them more frequently, don’t hesitate to ask your doc about low dose abx. I wish I’d done it sooner. I never had a UTI till a few years ago, and bam, many right in a row. No fun. Low dose abx has helped. 

Don’t forget to watch for nausea, vomiting, etc and head to the ER if those happen. 

Feel better soon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I realize another "risk factor" is I've had stress diarrhea...which I think I remember reading can make it more likely bacteria get to the wrong place. 

Maybe, ahem, shower before bed? 😉 Daily maintenance D-Mannose here. I just take one with my dinner vitamins each day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I normally do, but I can't remember if I did both times this weekend. 

And...stress eating cookies. 

I have this issue- though not because of stress but because of nerve issues and I keep Dmannose pills to take when i have had this issue.  Since I started doing that. I have no UTI.  I also always urinate after tea,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, calbear said:

Another factor is that UTIs are more common as you age and estrogen levels fall... I haven't had issue and in the 18 months (probably stress related as well) 4. Only 1 had to go abx...the others I was able to stop wit D-Mannose and AZO.

Yup, and come to think of it, these started after I stopped my hormonal birth control. Huh. 

A nurse told me, after my third UTI in four months in our first year together, that males carry it on, ya know, but it doesn't generally bother them. She advised religious use by dh of betadine on, ya know 😉, and that ended the cycle. As part of that, she said just like yeast infection, either bleach or boil undies for both of us to get rid of it since it can live on fabric for a while.

Edited by Faith-manor

How often are you getting them?   I had chronic UTIs and am now on Macrobid daily.    It has saved my life.   

Here's some tips:

If you get a yeast infection, take the Rx pill, not the vag insert as the 'goo' can irritate the urethra.  
Lots of plain water, of course.  
About a 1/4 tsp of baking soda in a small cup of water will help when you are burning down there.  
If you're burning, an acid pill like Prilosec can help a bit. 
Shower before s*x, potty afterwards. 
Keep D-Mannose in the house.  I take it after every s*x session. 
I cannot have s*x days in a row.   I have to keep several days in between.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

A nurse told me, after my third UTI in four months in our first year together, that males carry it on, ya know, but it doesn't generally bother them. She advised religious use by dh of beta one on, ya know 😉, and that ended the cycle. As part of that, she said just like yeast infection, either bleach or boil undies for both of us to get rid of it since it can live on fabric for a while.

Tell me more...   how often?   Where did you buy it?   Brand?  

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yup, and come to think of it, these started after I stopped my hormonal birth control. Huh. 

Also, if you have a lot of so-called UTI's, get them investigated.  About 7 years or so ago, I was getting what I thought and doctor thought were lots of UTIs.  They weren't.  After ultrasound (checking for kidney stones), etc, I was referred to a urologist.  What I had was autoimmune interstitial cystitis, which feels like a UTI but is not an infection at all.  Fortunately, as I have gotten my other autoimmune diseases in better control, that interstitial cystitis got in much better control.  Oh and the symptoms of it are frequent urination of little amounts, lower pain, and sometimes even a little bleeding.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Tell me more...   how often?   Where did you buy it?   Brand?  

Betadine. It is over the counter in the first aid section of the pharmacy. My dumb autocorrect on the kindle changed it. I edited up top. Stupid autocorrect! Someday I am going to hunt down the programmers of that little beast.... 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Also, if you have a lot of so-called UTI's, get them investigated.  About 7 years or so ago, I was getting what I thought and doctor thought were lots of UTIs.  They weren't.  After ultrasound (checking for kidney stones), etc, I was referred to a urologist.  What I had was autoimmune interstitial cystitis, which feels like a UTI but is not an infection at all.  Fortunately, as I have gotten my other autoimmune diseases in better control, that interstitial cystitis got in much better control.  Oh and the symptoms of it are frequent urination of little amounts, lower pain, and sometimes even a little bleeding.

I have this, too.  In my case, the chronic infections caused the IC.   IC and UTIs made me want to commit s.  They are both absolutely horrid.  

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I made him do it daily for a month just to get rid of it on him, and then used it on myself after, yada yada, and whenever I took a shower. Just be careful with the stuff because, oy, it stains. 

How do you use it?  Squirt it on, or something else? 

UTIs are the bane of my existence these days!

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

How often are you getting them?   I had chronic UTIs and am now on Macrobid daily.    It has saved my life.   

Here's some tips:

If you get a yeast infection, take the Rx pill, not the vag insert as the 'goo' can irritate the urethra.  
About a 1/4 tsp of baking soda in a small cup of water will help when you are burning down there.  

This is my second in a month, but I hadn't had one in years before that. Maybe the start of one, but could drink a bunch of water and get rid of it. And yup, we had "relations" on Friday night and then again Saturday morning...and that did it. 

I'm going to start taking D Mannose at least when we have relations, if not daily. 

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about this actually. The antibiotics did help last time (or just time did...who knows) but if this happens again soon I'll get checked further. Just trying to get into the new house, help my sister with her stuff, etc and timing is bad. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Spryte said:

How do you use it?  Squirt it on, or something else? 

UTIs are the bane of my existence these days!

I used to put it on a piece of gauze or other fabric and just kind of really wipe around. Also, the nurse said not to use any kind of soap or anything on those ladies parts because it just ends up irritating the skin and drying it out making it all more susceptible. She was anti baths as well until one has gone more than a year without a UTI.

So this is the routine she prescribed and so followed it to the letter:

No tampons until it sorts out because the damn bacteria can live on them too, and due to proximity of everything, just reintroduce infection.

Bladder voiding after fun times, and then a swipe down with the betadine, quick rinse and dry, no underwear let the air get to the yoohoos. Kind of sucked from the snuggling and immediately go to sleep aspect.

Drink a half gallon of cranberry juice during the first day plus always sipping on water.

Then say hydrated, stay hydrated, stay hydrated.

Cotton undies, and bleach or boil them plus partner's because not only can UTI live on them, but of course the damn yeast which half the time follows the stupid antibiotics.

Partner religiously washes his yahoo with the Betadine. At one point, I was so desperate to be done with UTI's, I would have flame thrown his nether regions if that would have solved it! 😂 So he really kind of owes that nurse a debt of eternal gratitude because it could have gotten ugly, like medieval ugly! 😁

Partner washes everyday for 30 days with it, and then has a once a week maintenance.

And don't relax until you have gone more than a year without. I was extra cautious and do this for two years. Not fun. BUT, after that, I only ever had ONE uti, and that was during my first pregnancy. Since then? UTI free and never even worry or think about it, dh hasn't had any maintenance in all those years. That said, I would imagine some women might have to do that for forever if they are super susceptible.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is my second in a month, but I hadn't had one in years before that. Maybe the start of one, but could drink a bunch of water and get rid of it. And yup, we had "relations" on Friday night and then again Saturday morning...and that did it. 

I'm going to start taking D Mannose at least when we have relations, if not daily. 

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about this actually. The antibiotics did help last time (or just time did...who knows) but if this happens again soon I'll get checked further. Just trying to get into the new house, help my sister with her stuff, etc and timing is bad. 

I wonder if the antibiotics you got the first go-round just didn't do the job.    That's how my problems started.   I would start the D Mannose either now or the day this antibiotic runs out, maybe double up on it for a bit.   No cokes, sweet tea, anything.   Water only.   Once your bladder calms down, you can add coffee.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

I wonder if the antibiotics you got the first go-round just didn't do the job.    That's how my problems started.   I would start the D Mannose either now or the day this antibiotic runs out, maybe double up on it for a bit.   No cokes, sweet tea, anything.   Water only.   Once your bladder calms down, you can add coffee.   

I think so to, because usually you get relief pretty quickly from antibiotics, and I didn't. 

The bladder irritant thing is hard...I'm cutting back, and taking Prelief to reduce the acid, but if I go cold turkey on caffiene on top of everything else going on I may not make it, lol. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Here's some tips:

Same here. Daily for years. 😞 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I think so to, because usually you get relief pretty quickly from antibiotics, and I didn't. 

The bladder irritant thing is hard...I'm cutting back, and taking Prelief to reduce the acid, but if I go cold turkey on caffiene on top of everything else going on I may not make it, lol. 

Cold turkey on caffeine would turn me into THE GODFATHER and that just is NOT good! So knowing the Mr.Hyde would rear his ugly head, I did not go off caffeine, but just lowered the amount a bit after getting rid of the UTI. Some things recommended by medical professionals are insane! This is one of them. A lot like the vet who told us to soak an injured feral cat we rescued in epsom salt bath three times per day. I calmly looked the man in the eyes and said, "Let me see you do that first." The cat was never soaked. Even crazy people enter healthcare! 😂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Cold turkey on caffeine would turn me into THE GODFATHER and that just is NOT good! So knowing the Mr.Hyde would rear his ugly head, I did not go off caffeine, but just lowered the amount a bit after getting rid of the UTI. Some things recommended by medical professionals are insane! This is one of them. A lot like the vet who told us to soak an injured feral cat we rescued in epsom salt bath three times per day. I calmly looked the man in the eyes and said, "Let me see you do that first." The cat was never soaked. Even crazy people enter healthcare! 😂

Yup. From all the various websites and such I basically was reading that I could have plain water, squash, and chicken, lol. So I'm doing half a cup of coffee twice a day instead of two -3 full cups and using rooibos tea or water otherwise. Rooibos is not actually tea and supposedly soothing and good for the bladder. 

• Like 2

I've had so many UTI's.  It's my one health "issue."  I've learned tricks to prevent them, so I get extra mad at myself when I get one because I CAN prevent them by following The Plan.  In order to prevent them I have to avoid dehydration and urinate before AND immediately after tea (feet flat on the floor and leaning forward to void completely).  The ONE time I tried to self-treat with D-Mannose/Azo instead of getting antibiotics right away, I ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection, so I'll never risk that again.  It's been a few years since I've had one, so I've been pretty good.  The ridiculous thing is that staying hydrated is the hardest part for me.  I feel like I have to make myself drink water when I'm not even thirsty or I get into trouble.

• Like 1

I am almost 100% better! Total difference on the keflex vs the macrobid! Macrobid, in comparison, I think didn't work at all. That's what I get for not getting an culture done, I guess. Now I know. This stuff is the bomb! I'm sort of maybe needing to pee more, but that's it. Not doubled over in pain, not exhausted and wanting to lay in bed with a diaper one, etc. Yay!

• Like 5