Menu

Need philosophy book recommendation

SanDiegoMom

I was wondering if there is any book out there about philosophy that would be interesting for my ds 15.  He's pretty particular about what he reads -- for instance his favorite books are What If, Math With Bad Drawings, How To, Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension.... books with short vignettes in easily digestible chapters.  He's newly interested in philosophy and I just don't really know where to start.  

I'd start with Youtube. Dd and I have just finished a batch of vids on the pre-Socratics done by the chap at 'Solomon's Cave,' because we thought we'd browse chronologically, but because she's on a bit of a philosophy bender, we're also reading some books on feminism and are about to start a book on Indigenous Australian philosophy. Previously, she's had me read her a book of Sufi philosophy.

Youtube will teach him what he wants to know more about, and there are vids on particular philosophers or on different themes, depending how he wants to approach the subject.

Also, The School of Life has articles on their website and vids on Youtube. They're good if one wants philosophy to apply immediately to modern life.

Thanks Rosie! It looks like Hank Green did a Philosophy Crash Course, so that might be a good place to start.  I'm trying to balance computer time (we've had far too much screen time here and it's showing some negative effects) but on the other hand if these videos replaced some of the ones he watches of gaming speed run videos, that would be great too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

He's pretty particular about what he reads -- for instance his favorite books are What If, Math With Bad Drawings, How To, Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension.... books with short vignettes in easily digestible chapters.

It's more challenging than these books but give "The story of philosophy" by Will Durant a try.

• Like 1

Here are some resources I have collected over the years. Many are still aspirational, but you could have a look and see if anything appeals.

Philosophy for Kids, David A. White This is a great introduction to important philosophers and gives a taste of their style. One school year we read and discussed one lesson a week at dinner. It is great and had some useful examples. The second book is totally different and I returned it.

The Pig That Wants to be Eaten, by Julian Baggini I thought this would be a good follow on to the previous book. It has 100 1 or 2 page thought provoking scenarios along with commentary by the author. For the most part these are not tied to a particular philosopher or school of philosophy.

(Removing two books here that are actually just about logical fallacies, but which I have shelved together because I often need to refer to them when discussing philosophy! 😄)

Sophie's World, Jostien Gaarder I read this stroll through the history of philosophy sometime around the turn of the last century (whoosh, that makes me sound/feel old!) It started merrily, but at some point I got lost. I finished it, but it would have been better if I were taking notes and/or discussing it with someone.

Lastly, when my dc were little, we used some of the materials from the Center for Philosophy for Children (U. of Washington) They have a section for picture books which might have some light appeal, but I see they also have materials for "pre-college students". It looks like they are mostly for groups, but perhaps you will find some something useful.

Edited by SusanC
got excited and didn't spell check the middle part
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SusanC said:

Philosophy for Kids, David A. White This is a great introduction to important philosophers and gives a taste of their style. One school year we read and discussed one lesson a week at dinner. It is great and had some useful examples. The second book is totally different and I returned it.

We have this so I might pull it out!

The Pig That Wants to be Eaten, by Julian Baggini I thought this would be a good follow on to the previous book. It has 100 1 or 2 page thought provoking scenarios along with commentary by the author. For the most part these are not tied to a particular philosopher or school of philosophy.

I think this would be perfect! Thank you, ordering now!

(Removing two books here that are actually just about logical fallacies, but which I have shelved together because I often need to refer to them when discussing philosophy! 😄)

We have an illustrated Guide to Logical Fallacies which he loves.

Sophie's World, Jostien Gaarder I read this stroll through the history of philosophy sometime around the turn of the last century (whoosh, that makes me sound/feel old!) It started merrily, but at some point I got lost. I finished it, but it would have been better if I were taking notes and/or discussing it with someone.

We actually have this too, but I think it would not suit him as well. I might have a look at it again though!

• Like 1