Menu

Anyone tried Wegovy (new weight loss drug)?

math teacher

I just started on it Thursday night. It's a self injector medication originally designed for diabetes. I'm using a starter pack from the doctor. There's a coupon I need to take to the pharmacy so we can see if my insurance will cover it.

I am astounded at how fast it is working-I am not hungry!! I just finished one egg with a few crumbles of sausage and cheese because I know I need some nutrition. Yesterday for lunch I had a small portion of salad. Last night I ate some fries. Obviously, I am going to have to optimize nutrition-if I'm only eating a small amount, it needs to be nutritious food.

If you have any experience with it, I would like to hear it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Please read the side effects and the risk of pancreatic cancer associated with this drug.   I know someone who took this and died of pancreatic cancer.   This was recommended by my physician and I declined it.  

Do you mean pancreatitis?   The only cancer risk I see is thyroid cell tumors, but there’s risk of acute pancreatitis, gall bladder injury, kidney injury, and suicidal ideation.

OP, don’t mean to try to scare you, I’m sure you weighed the pros and cons before you took it!

I’ve never heard of this drug for weight loss, but it sounds exciting - it’s a 1x/week shot Meant to curb hunger?  How long can you take it? Please keep us updated as the weeks roll in? 

• Like 4

On 10/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, Ailaena said:

Do you mean pancreatitis?   The only cancer risk I see is thyroid cell tumors, but there’s risk of acute pancreatitis, gall bladder injury, kidney injury, and suicidal ideation.

OP, don’t mean to try to scare you, I’m sure you weighed the pros and cons before you took it!

I’ve never heard of this drug for weight loss, but it sounds exciting - it’s a 1x/week shot Meant to curb hunger?  How long can you take it? Please keep us updated as the weeks roll in? 

sorry, it was a different drug, not the new one..

Edited by DawnM

I think Wegovy is a slightly higher dose of ozempic.  I’ve been on GLP-1 inhibitors for almost two years. I was on Victoza for a year and a half, lost 70 pounds almost, then it stopped working and I gained a couple pounds back(ok, like 20). My endocrinologist switched me to Ozempic and I’ve been on it for three months.  I’ve lost another 25 pounds.  I’m actually close to ideal weight and since I take ozempic for diabetes, not weight loss, I’m not sure what they’ll do.  I am never, ever hungry.  I eat a lot of protein shakes just to get nutrition.  It’s compounded by having a Covid side effect of everything tastes horrid. 
I basically just don’t eat.  I’m not sure it’s healthy. 

I have a coworker who’s been on Wegovy almost six months. She’s had no side effects and around 30 pounds lost.  She didn’t lose significant weight even with bariatric surgery, so 30 pounds is a huge deal for her.

• Like 4

Yes, I am watching the side effects and risks, although being 100 pounds overweight has risks and side effects as well. I am scheduled to see my doctor in a month. I had some nausea yesterday, but not terrible. Today has been fine. I just had an orange for lunch. Not real hungry, but I am conscious of eating healthful food. I'll keep you all updated!!

• Like 4

The only draw back I’ve seen is that it’s meant to be lifelong.  If you stop you gain a good percentage of the weight back. There are some questions on how insurance will handle it, if they’ll pay, will they still pay when you are no longer overweight knowing you’ll likely regain weight if you stop? At $1,300 a month it’s not cheap.

Edited by melmichigan

I haven't tried this drug and need to lose a lot of weight myself (have been unsuccessful for years) so perhaps I shouldn't post my opinion but I would worry about what eating so little would do to your metabolism.  I know that my problems stem from a messed up metabolism and shutting it down even further is a big worry of mine. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, melmichigan said:

The only draw back I’ve seen is that it’s meant to be lifelong.  If you stop you gain a good percentage of the weight back. There are some questions on how insurance will handle it, if they’ll pay, will they still pay when you are no longer overweight knowing you’ll likely regain weight if you stop? At $1,300 a month it’s not cheap.

Yes, I'm hoping my insurance pays for it. Doctor said two companies she knows will cover it is teacher's insurance and a local company. I am a teacher, so fingers crossed.Perhaps they have a maintenance dose. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I haven't tried this drug and need to lose a lot of weight myself (have been unsuccessful for years) so perhaps I shouldn't post my opinion but I would worry about what eating so little would do to your metabolism.  I know that my problems stem from a messed up metabolism and shutting it down even further is a big worry of mine. 

I'm hoping it will actually make metabolism better. One thing for sure, it gets lower as we age.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 11:13 AM, NRC said:

I am on second  level of wegovy and I have not had any significant signs of appetite decreasing. Has anyone had such a slow start with this and if so, at what level are you noticing weight loss?

I am finding the same. I am on week 3 of .25 and notice very little after the 2nd day following my injection. Hoping the higher doses changes this.

• 11 months later...

I started Wegovy at the end of March and so far I've lost 38lbs. I have changed my eating habits and try to maintain a 1500 calorie diet. I also keep a food diary online at Myfitnesspal.com. I am a 64 year old woman and hope to lose about 20 more. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, ktgrok said:

Are y'all finding your insurance is covering it? I am due for a check up with my bariatric doctor and we may discuss this option. I'm back into the obese category, and blood pressure is staying slightly elevated. All other stuff is great. 

My insurance covers it. It's a beast until the deductible is met, though- just paid 1300 yesterday because I have a new deductible. 

I was on Ozempic until last August when we couldn’t get it anymore. I’m a T2D so I was on it for that.

Tried going back on victoza but my blood sugars crept up.  So as of last week I’m on Monjauro. I haven’t noticed any weight loss but I’m not hungry either.

As I am taking the meds for diabetes I haven’t had any issues with insurance paying. 

• Like 3

I am on Ozempic for diabetes. No supply issues thus far. I have lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks and do not often feel hungry. I eat small portions. Frequent waves of mild nausea seemingly unrelated to blood sugar numbers - ugh! It does control my blood sugar well. Combo of insurance and coupon make it affordable. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

BTW, I hate the idea of pitting those who use these meds for T2D and those who use them to lose weight against each other. Doctors shouldn't be prescribing the medications unless the patient is technically obese and obesity carries significant health risks. 

Exactly. A big reason people take it for weight loss is to avoid becoming diabetic, and to deal with the other issues obesity causes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Regardless, these GLPs are amazing drugs. They're even finding that they might help with alcoholism. 

Interesting! I mean, certain types of sugar (fructose - about half of what is in table sugar) is metabolized in a similar way to alcohol, so that kind of makes sense. 

• Like 1