Menu

Treats or snacks you can't stop eating

klmama

I have great self-control when it comes to not eating things that are bad for me.  I never drink soda or alcohol or coffee.  I rarely eat chocolate, and then only a tiny amount.  I turn down dessert more than I accept, and if I do, it's only a small serving.  But give me something salty or spicy, like a tube of Pringles or a bag of super-strength Gin-Gins, and I could easily eat the whole thing without thinking twice.  Why is that??

• Like 1

Oh gosh, just about anything but especially tortilla chips, pretzels, breads (esp. bagels and biscuits), baked pasta (mac n cheese, lasagna, etc.), pizza, baked goods (any), cereal (any), ice cream, cookies, chocolate candy, 😞  

It's really hard for me - almost all foods are trigger foods.  

Oh, and peanut butter - either alone or with anything. One year my daughter gave me those peanut butter filled pretzels and I ate so many that I got really sick that night.  

cheez its, cheetos, fritos, anything with melted cheese...

Edited by Kassia

6 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

A locally made snack called Little Lads Herbal Popcorn.  We joke that it's seasoned with salt, dill, nutritional yeast, and heroin because it is so dang addictive.

Had to google and apparently you can buy online! Popcorn seasoning

We've been on a peanut butter and fluff on graham craacker kick here recently!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Had to google and apparently you can buy online! Popcorn seasoning

Oh no.  That is a problem.  If I buy that I will eat it straight from the jar, the popcorn is just a crunchy vehicle.  I looked at the ingredients but the word heroin is just out of sight on the back, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

Oh no.  That is a problem.  If I buy that I will eat it straight from the jar, the popcorn is just a crunchy vehicle.  I looked at the ingredients but the word heroin is just out of sight on the back, I'm pretty sure.

OK - now I've got one in my amazon cart! Will report back!

• Like 2

Nothing is a trigger all the time. Just depends on what seems good at the moment.  Might be Pringles. Might be cheese, or chocolate, or Skittles. Sometimes it’s bing cherries. Never celery or carrot sticks, though. 😞

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

Candy corn mixed with dry roasted peanuts. Or just plain candy corn, but it’s better with the peanuts. 

I haven’t bought any candy corn in the last three years.  I just can’t have it around. 

I've never tried the mixture but a friend of mine says it's delicious and like a Payday candy bar - I've never had that either. 

I can't have candy corn around either.  I'll eat it until I'm sick and then I swear I'll never eat it again but I always do...  I don't know what it is about it that makes it so addicting.  It's like waxy sugar and nothing special but I can't stop once I start.

• Like 1

I go through phases with this. Right now it’s this really sharp Swiss cheese. I cut it into little cubes and I could probably eat like 100!

But then I get kind of tired of it after a few days and move on. Before this Swiss cheese I found, I was snacking a lot on roasted, salted peanuts. Now I have not had a peanut in like 3 weeks. 

Every day is an adventure. I might want 6 pudding cups, a tub of leftover mashed potatoes, a sleeve of cookies... or the thought of any of those things might do nothing for me. 
Nothing is safe, and yet I might have nothing to hit the spot.

Current weakness: Shoprite tub of pb/brownie filled pretzels. And no one else likes them, so... score?

• Like 4

Well, no one's mentioned them yet, and I hesitate to do so b/c they're flying off the shelves &/or not in stock due to some crazy covid shortage or something, but Snyder's cheddar pretzel pieces.  Which are a genius bit of a thing on Snyder's part in the first place, because they literally take all the broken bits & pieces of their chunky pretzels, coat them in different flavorings, and sell that. The cheddar ones are the only ones that are any good, though. (there is a honey mustard/onion one that is disgusting, and a buffalo sauce one that may be good if one likes spicy things, I don't know). 

My store has been out for ages, but then I found them at the other grocery store and bought 6 bags. It takes roughly Herculean effort not to eat a bag a day. (I am trying, mightily, to eat only one bag per weekend. And not open one during the week. And not get annoyed if other people in the house also want to eat some.)

• Like 1

As others have said, it depends on - I don't know what. The other day I bought a bag of store brand Fritos and polished it off in 2 days. So, salty/crunchy was the thing.At other times it's something creamy, and/or sweet.  

I still remember an event many years ago that involved a very large number of butter toffee peanuts... Not a good memory, to be clear.

• Like 1

Everything that others bring into the house.  Except spicy stuff.  Spicy snacks and I are safe from each other.

Our fattening-up season started yesterday with my birthday, and ends in January at my youngest's birthday.

I need to get on an exercise kick ASAP.

• Like 2

It is so interesting that no-one has attempted to answer the question in the OP.  Perhaps it was rhetorical?

Sugar is more addictive than cocaine, so an uncontrolled sweet tooth is more an addiction than a craving. But salt cravings can indicate a nutrient deficiency, dehydration, a disorder such as Addison's, or even a kidney malfunction.  If it's more salt-seeking than just scarfing a snack with abandon 🍿🤣, it may be worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

Pirate Booty used to be my kryptonite, but now it's Rhythm "White Cheddar" Cauliflower Bites. They really satisfy the "crunchy snack" craving and the flavor is super cheesy despite being nondairy.  I can also eat most of a carton of So Delicious Salted Caramel Crunch nondairy ice cream in one sitting. Mandarin oranges or "cuties" are like candy to me — if I have them in the house I will just eat them nonstop and can easily go through a couple of pounds a day. Fresh figs and cherries I will also just keep eating all day.

• Like 2

Have y’all ever had Tillamook chocolate peanut butter ice cream? I don’t have the sweet tooth I used to and I don’t usually buy ice cream but my ds who used to work at a grocery store would bring it home when it was on sale. It is unreal. When that was in the house it was hard to think about anything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I love Grillo's dill pickle slices, the ones that come in a little tub and have garlic, grape leaves, and dill with them. Some days, I eat them with all three meals.

That's what it was like when I used to make sweet refrigerator pickles.  Oh. my.  I made them with honey, instead of sugar, and they were soooooo good.  

20 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Pirate Booty used to be my kryptonite, but now it's Rhythm "White Cheddar" Cauliflower Bites. They really satisfy the "crunchy snack" craving and the flavor is super cheesy despite being nondairy.  I can also eat most of a carton of So Delicious Salted Caramel Crunch nondairy ice cream in one sitting. Mandarin oranges or "cuties" are like candy to me — if I have them in the house I will just eat them nonstop and can easily go through a couple of pounds a day. Fresh figs and cherries I will also just keep eating all day.

Okay, these I'm going to have to try. I need something healthier, one of the kids is dairy-free but loves cheese flavored snacks, and my beloved pretzel pieces are hard to find anyway.....these look and sound delicious. 

• Like 2

See's candy.  Specifically, the peanut crunch squares and the milk chocolate peppermint patties.  Also, I can inhale an entire family size bag of potato chips in one evening...which is why they only are bought once or twice a year when I simply MUST HAVE THEM!