Menu

Small dog breed toys?

Dmmetler

I teach piano and have a lot of special needs kids. One thing I started doing when we were virtual was trying to pull out little toys-mostly figures from Playmobil, Fisher Price and similar little things that I had stashed in the attic, to match the characters in the songs/books, to keep the kids' interest. Most of my kids enjoy it-but I have one little girl who is on the spectrum who is absolutely obsessed with them and with having the character for every song she plays. It keeps her focus SO much better than anything else we've done, in part because she communicates with the characters and asks THEM questions, and then I can make them talk or give them guidance and she responds much better than when I do it. 

She also LOVES composing, and we've gone through a series of composing books that are awesome-each has a storyline and you meet a different character for each song. 

You can guess where this is going. Her favorite series just brought out a new book about a bunch of adorable puppies preparing for a dog birthday party. And every single one of them is a different breed.  And this is a kid who absolutely will want to make sure they match as closely as possible, 

What's more, while I have a ton of small animal toys for wild animals and zoo animals, especially reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates, my own kid was never really into collecting dog or cat toys. I have some small figures of just sort of generic animals that came with different sets, but mostly they're just sort of "dog"-not specific breeds. 

So, does anyone know of any set that would have dog breeds that would be reasonably affordable? The breeds are pug, terrier, Basset hound, French Bulldog, Havanese, and yellow lab. 

You are so sweet. I looked in all the usual places for dog breed figures without luck, but if you're open to using stuffed animals, I was able to find almost all of those breeds as Beanie Babies on eBay. Including shipping, there is a Bassett for $7, a pug for $7, a terrier for $5, French Bulldog for $7.50, and a yellow lab for $6.50. There are also some that could pass for a black and white Havanese in the same price range. 

I can post links later if you want! Took my sleeping pill and am out of it. 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

So, does anyone know of any set that would have dog breeds that would be reasonably affordable? The breeds are pug, terrier, Basset hound, French Bulldog, Havanese, and yellow lab. 

I found a few sets on Amazon that I'll link here for you. I don't know about 'reasonably affordable', so you'll have to decide that but this should get you started in your search. I will say that I didn't see any Basset Hounds or Havanese, though.  I suspect those two will be the most difficult to find.

This one has a pug & French Bulldog, and a yellow lab.  Maybe one could pass for a terrier. $16

https://www.amazon.com/WIOR-Figurines-Realistic-Christmas-Educational/dp/B095X3ZP78/ref=pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_5/139-2247412-4364454?pd_rd_w=pBLbc&pf_rd_p=e896123b-6614-49c5-873e-d532e726c2f0&pf_rd_r=5G0FA2VMA6SXJK4J50AD&pd_rd_r=51587ea2-61f1-4b3c-8c85-6a2ae1384d39&pd_rd_wg=8Pz6b&pd_rd_i=B095X3ZP78&psc=1

I think this is the same set by a different seller. Same price.

https://www.amazon.com/TOYMANY-Figurines-Realistic-Detailed-Christmas/dp/B087P7Z5PT/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=french+bulldog+miniature&qid=1633275517&sr=8-19

Also, The Littlest Pet Shop has many of these (like little bobbleheads), but those might be hard to find and I don't remember ever seeing a Havanese in there collections. It has been ages since I looked at them, so maybe they have one out now. I know they have a Basset Hound and the others, so the Havanese is the tricky one. Those are mostly used, though, but ebay might have some bulk purchases. They do have a Maltese that *might* pass. I do suggest you checking ebay to see what's there.

There used to be some little felt-covered ones (like Calico Critters) at Target & Walmart but I have no idea what breeds they had.

If you're crafty, here is a How-to to felt some.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/needlefelt-miniature-of-your-dog-2365956

You could probably get some felt and make your own with pillow stuffing, too.

I wish you luck!

Try 'doll house' in your search. They are often very detailed and you may find a seller willing to give you a bulk deal if they have what you need in different sets. 

Dollhouse Miniature Dogs image 1

Maybe try this etsy seller. They mention handmade, but I am not sure if they handmake all the items. Maybe having a puppy version would be less specific and easier to fudge it a bit. If they are able to customize a bit they may be able to 'create' the breeds you need. 

Cute Dog Miniatures Set of 13 Desk Decorations Puppy Resin image 1

• Like 1