Menu

Music rec needed (folk, easy listening 60/70/80's)

Tap

DD22 loves things that are retro. Not because they are 'cool' but instead, she truly seems to be enjoy things that were classics....because they were amazing! When she was 5yo she started her love of shows like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, MASH, Andy Griffith Show and other delightful entertainment.  LOL She has a record player and listens to soft folksy music like Jack Johnson. For Christmas, I want to get her an album or two that is from the above mentioned decades. I am thinking maybe something like CCR, Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac etc I think it would be fun to see if she enjoys the music, as much as the TV shows, from eras gone by. 

Anyone want to chime in with some ideas? 

Not so much foklsy or easy listening, but I find them mellow:

Air Supply

Jefferson Starship (at least some of their hits-- I don't know about their lesser-known stuff but I had their album with the "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" song and loved it)

You can also search for those "easy listening" mixes they used to sell on TV. I came across a whole slew of them on Youtube just a few months ago and it was a fabulous walk down memory lane.

ETA The BeeGees. I can't believe I forgot about the BeeGees. Again, not folksy, but definitely fabulous music for someone who loves that era... even the stuff they did in the 90s is great.

Edited by Wildcat
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MercyA said:

In the same vein as Gordon Lightfoot and Cat Stevens--Dan Folgelberg. 

My highschool boyfriend's mom LOVED Dan Folgelberg. Not sure I know anything else about him, but that brought back a happy memory of hanging out at his house with his family. His mom made the BEST fried chicken and chicken gravy with mashed potatoes. 

• Like 2

I have a couple of Jack Johnson’s cds he is great.

the beatles

cat stevens aka yusof

abba

Doobie brothers

Crosby stills Nash young

moody blues

steely dan

joe walsh

nicolette larson

It’s a beautiful day

mommas and the pappas 

loggins and Messina 

Eric Clapton

Bread

christopher cross

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 1

Music from around the 70s 💗💗💗 

Neil Sedaka - Laughter In the Rain, Bad Blood

Don Maclean - Castles In the Air, Starry Starry Night

Toto - 99

Maria Muldauer - Midnight At the Oasis

Heart - Dog and the Butterfly, Dreamboat Annie (live version is a faster beat)

Emmylou Harris - Tulsa Queen

The Hollies

Gerry Rafferty

Todd Rundgren

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Wonder

Air Supply

David LaFlamme - White Bird

Duran Duran

Earth Wind & Fire

The Eagles

Ambrosia

Anita Baker

Sade

Dr. Hook and The Medicine Band (Shel Silverstein wrote the lyrics to some of their songs)

Roxy Music

America

Basia

Barry Manilow

Beach Boys

Bill Withers

Blondie

Bread

Captain & Tenille

Carole King

Cat Stevens

Seals & Croft

Chicago

• Like 2

Because it's what on my ipod... 🙂

Peter Paul and Mary

Simon and Garfunkel

The Mamas and the Papas

Carole King

James Taylor

Credence Clearwater Revival

The Eagles

Steve Miller Band

The Allman Brothers Band

Most of these have nicely done "Best of _____" albums that cover their musical careers.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

Carpenters.  Karen Carpenter had an amazing voice.  There's a story she was going into a restaurant as John Lennon was leaving, and he told her what a great voice she had.  She thought he was just being nice . . . . no.

David Gates & Bread

Simon and Garfunkel.   (they did a free get-back together concert in Central Park.  There was NO CRIME during the concert.)

• Like 1

Carpenters- Now and Then

Leonard Cohen- Songs of Leonard Cohen

Velvet Underground- Loaded

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Van Morrison- Moondance

David Bowie- Man Who Sold the World

Linda Ronstadt, The Police( from their 80's stuff), Niel Young's early stuff( Harvest) Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms

Sorry, I didn't catch that you wanted folk and easy listening. But maybe she can expand!

Eva Cassidy.  She sang in tbe 90's, but recorded older songs. She has the voice of an angel. Her Autumn Leaves makes me  teary eyed. She died so young of cancer. 

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 1

You guys Rock!   🤣🤣🤣

I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time on You tube while I make a very hard decision. LOL  Then choke, when I try to find them on LP and an have to pay more for an old record, than a current one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tap said:

You guys Rock!   🤣🤣🤣

I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time on You tube while I make a very hard decision. LOL  Then choke, when I try to find them on LP and an have to pay more for an old record, than a current one. 

I looked on Amazon and several of the artists have vinyl available, its more expensive 25-35$  Target online has vinyl available for around 20$ Vinyl has been more available lately.

9 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Carpenters.  Karen Carpenter had an amazing voice.

I was going to make the exact same comment. Just do a quick search on youtube - the quality of her voice is incredible. I mostly never listen to music more modern than 500 years ago, partly because the voice quality is so disappointing, but hers is just beautiful. 

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

I was going to make the exact same comment. Just do a quick search on youtube - the quality of her voice is incredible. I mostly never listen to music more modern than 500 years ago, partly because the voice quality is so disappointing, but hers is just beautiful. 

Try Diana Damrau's Queen of the Night.

Mozart wrote the part of his sister-in-law to show off her voice.

And Jonathon Antoine.  The next Pavarotti. 

eta: Karen Carpenter, they've interviewed people who knew her and they said if she didn't have a mic, you couldn't even hear her sing in a car she was so quiet.

Edited by gardenmom5