Menu

October Frugalistas 2021

hjffkj

It's official. Nov 5 is the last day of teaching for VIPKID.

3 more weeks.

It is very bittersweet. I'm tired of working both jobs- working 4.5-5+ hrs in the morning really squeezes our homeschool schedule. And I'm tired of the waiting. 

Now we'll see if the global expansion pans out and I'll be watching out for other good paying jobs.

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Soror said:

It's official. Nov 5 is the last day of teaching for VIPKID.

3 more weeks.

It is very bittersweet. I'm tired of working both jobs- working 4.5-5+ hrs in the morning really squeezes our homeschool schedule. And I'm tired of the waiting. 

Now we'll see if the global expansion pans out and I'll be watching out for other good paying jobs.

I am so sorry.  I am so glad they let you know for sure.  So smart of you to get the other job going.  Hopefully the global expansion works out.  

• Like 1

Well, I just did something frugal! I went to the hardware store and bought replacement nuts to fix my drying rack. When I saw the price of natural gas and the expected rate increase this winter, I thought it would be prudent to do some air drying. I tend to buy things instead of fix things, but once I figured out the steps for repairing the rack, it wasn't hard at all!

Then, went I got home, I entered the transaction in YNAB. 🙂

• Like 8

My frugal acts this week included trading some hemming work for this weeks piano lessons, patching dh’s jeans again (he has patches on patches now!) and darned dd’s sneakers where her pinkie toes had worn holes in the sides. I just happened to have the exact color of thread so I tried it after seeing the idea online. Worked like a charm and is not super noticeable, dd was happy.

you guys are all doing such a good job!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Well, I just did something frugal! I went to the hardware store and bought replacement nuts to fix my drying rack. When I saw the price of natural gas and the expected rate increase this winter, I thought it would be prudent to do some air drying. I tend to buy things instead of fix things, but once I figured out the steps for repairing the rack, it wasn't hard at all!

Good idea on the drying racks.  That works so much better in the winter.  I know people like to line dry outside, but we can't do that as a bunch of us have allergies and this would be more problematic for us.  Hmmmm maybe I should get a drying rack for inside.  That is a great idea.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 5:21 PM, mommyoffive said:

What does this say?  I am not on facebook. 

Thanks to @sarahafor posting I didn't want to violate board rules. It was on a public page so should be visible to anyone.

21 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Yes, gas is looking outrageous. (we are all electric here but know some who use gas). That is very smart to plan ahead on ways to save on energy and DIY'ing to save even more.

If you don't already you can download the ynab app to your phone then you can add the transaction before you even make it home 🙂 I usually do mine once I get to the car.

19 hours ago, saraha said:

My frugal acts this week included trading some hemming work for this weeks piano lessons, patching dh’s jeans again (he has patches on patches now!) and darned dd’s sneakers where her pinkie toes had worn holes in the sides. I just happened to have the exact color of thread so I tried it after seeing the idea online. Worked like a charm and is not super noticeable, dd was happy.

you guys are all doing such a good job!

Awesome job, wonderful that you could barter. Do you have a special needle to darn the sneakers? I wouldn't think a regular one would work but I'm not a very accomplished seamstress.

-dh bought the hvac part $225(can't remember if I posted that) it came in but then it says we have to change capacitor- so dh will have to buy that Monday ($15ish)

So, dh will change the motor this weekend but we can't run it until he changes the capacitor Monday evening (he's changing the motor now as it will take longer and he has college Monday). We cannot use heat or air until then. It is getting a little cool over night now (in the 40s) but warming to the 60s in the day so shouldn't get too awful cool in the house. It was 62 this morning, which is what I usually put it at in the winter anyway.

-got the girls mini icecreams after the park last week

-dh bought sodas for work at DG on sale with the $5/$25 Sat. coupon

-took girls to free outdoor Halloween event

-I planned to take dd2 &3 to an out of town pumpkin farm but with my current work schedule it was stressing me out (working 2 hrs later pushes everything back)- so we are going to do the local one- it is not as big and fun- but it is only $5 per person (vs $12) and 30+ min closer

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Soror said:

Awesome job, wonderful that you could barter. Do you have a special needle to darn the sneakers? I wouldn't think a regular one would work but I'm not a very accomplished seamstress.

Nope, they are those sneakers that have the stretchy cloth upper. Ill try to post a picture

50 minutes ago, Soror said:

hanks to @sarahafor posting I didn't want to violate board rules. It was on a public page so should be visible to anyone.

Did I break the rules? should I delete it? I thought since we have the meme's thread it would be ok

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.6e3e8835bbda359cb9420d5b4e9570cb.jpegIt’s like a stretchy cloth and her toes had worn through. It’s not pretty up close but the thread is such a good match that when she is wearing them, you don’t even notice the spot. I just happened to have the right color thread by chance! They were a thrift shop purchase to start with so very frugal win!

the holes had gotten pretty big, she was just using them for yard shoes. If I had seen the idea sooner I could have caught the hole smaller, but she is pretty happy since that are her favorite shoes.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Thanks to @sarahafor posting I didn't want to violate board rules. It was on a public page so should be visible to anyone.

Yes, gas is looking outrageous. (we are all electric here but know some who use gas). That is very smart to plan ahead on ways to save on energy and DIY'ing to save even more.

If you don't already you can download the ynab app to your phone then you can add the transaction before you even make it home 🙂 I usually do mine once I get to the car.

-dh bought the hvac part $225(can't remember if I posted that) it came in but then it says we have to change capacitor- so dh will have to buy that Monday ($15ish)

So, dh will change the motor this weekend but we can't run it until he changes the capacitor Monday evening (he's changing the motor now as it will take longer and he has college Monday). We cannot use heat or air until then. It is getting a little cool over night now (in the 40s) but warming to the 60s in the day so shouldn't get too awful cool in the house. It was 62 this morning, which is what I usually put it at in the winter anyway.

-got the girls mini icecreams after the park last week

-dh bought sodas for work at DG on sale with the $5/$25 Sat. coupon

-took girls to free outdoor Halloween event

-I planned to take dd2 &3 to an out of town pumpkin farm but with my current work schedule it was stressing me out (working 2 hrs later pushes everything back)- so we are going to do the local one- it is not as big and fun- but it is only $5 per person (vs $12) and 30+ min closer

We run on gas.  Normally it is the much much cheaper way to go.  Yikes not this year.  I am so wishing that we would have bought the house that I loved that had solar and geothermal systems.  Sigh.   Not going to be fun this year.   

Oh well.  Wow, keeping your house at 62 is good. That is so cold in our house.  When it is a windy day it is even  colder in our house.   But it got into the 30s overnight and I have it at 68 during the day, and is still chilly.  But in winter I keep it at 72 during the day.  I do like to keep it cold at night, because I love to be under a million blankets.

• Like 4

Excused from jury duty next week - so I'll get normal pay rather than the $15 a day.

Going to start listing kids' toys/etc this week in hopes of catching some Christmas shoppers

Wrapped some Christmas presents while watching Cruella. I am doing well on the gift budget. Need stocking stuffers and just a few more gifts to various people. Still need a neighbor gift that I am clueless on what to get. 

Feeling the grocery/gasoline pinch right now. DH's employer now has him back in the office 5 days a week and cut OT to 3 hours per week. Ugh - higher expense, lower income. 

DH turned on the heat yesterday (natural gas) when it was 39 degrees when we got up. We only keep the house at 68 during the winter/66 at night. It's always cold. We're going to try 67/65 this year for $ purposes, but I'm afraid we're going to feel cold all the time.

Bought some caulk and a "caulk removal tool" for about $6 last week. I redid all the sinks and the master tub yesterday. Not perfect, but better.

Finally got an answer from hospital on DD's MRI - they knocked 40% off and gave me a payment plan for a year. Yeah, I can handle that better than the before price and 3 months. 

• Like 7

Got some big presents for the kids ordered.  I feel so good about that.  Gives us 2 months to get them incase there is something bad.  

I had ordered some plastic shelfs for lego storage for the kids and 3 weeks later they are no where to be seen. They were supposed to be at our house in 3 days.  I am sure they are stuck on a ship somewhere. 

Have to pick insurance this week.  

Hoping to get the kids paperwork for school funds done for ballet this week. 

• Like 4

This week, Starbucks is celebrating Starbucks Star Days by offering Rewards Members a new deal each day! These deals will be available exclusively for Rewards Members on the app.

Not a rewards member? You can sign up here for free.

October 18th – Stars for Fall Monday
Order any fall drink (grande or large) and receive 25 stars loaded to your member account for your next visit!

October 19th – 50 Star Tuesday
Receive 50 bonus stars when you load $10 or more onto your Starbucks Rewards Card!

October 20th – Half Off Wednesday
Rewards members who order their favorite drink (grande or large) will get half off another drink in the same order!

October 21 – Triple Star Thursday
Members can collect triple Stars on almost every order purchased on this day!

October 22 – Friday Fri-Yay
Members who spend more than $10 (pre-tax) at participating stores will get 50 Bonus Stars!

From Moneysavingmom.

• Like 2

Found this Target Circle offer under "Holiday"
Spend $40 on Toys or Books and receive $10 Gift Card
Expires Nov. 13

Good for In-Store, Order Pickup, Same Day and Shipping

Details & exclusions
Enjoy your surprise offer! Free $10 Target GiftCard with toys or kids' books purchase of $40 or more *Exclusions apply

• Like 3

We keep our house at 66/62 in the winter.  We're all re-learning to wear hoodies or sweaters and wool socks after running hot all summer. I pulled out the winter bedding to add extra layers to everyone's beds last week. We've been drinking more hot drinks during the day too.

Someone gave us four large bags of jersey knit scraps. A few pieces are larger yardage amounts (like 3 yards) but most pieces are under 1/4 yard. My girls are going to sew hair scrunchies to give to their friends for Christmas gifts with them.  I'm excited to have some fabric to play with; it's been too expensive to sew for a few years.

I'm plugging away at ordering Christmas gifts. So far, we're staying on plan and budget.

• Like 6

Well we ordered a new washer, dryer, and fridge.  I simply don't want to talk about the cost, ha. I did find a washer and dryer that is backordered until mid November instead of late Dec though so that is a plus, assuming that doesn't get delayed.  We'll see.  Today I bought a drying rack and dh installed an indoor clothes line.  Both can hold an entire load so I just plan on doing at least a load of laundry a day to keep from needing to need to use my brother's dryer too often. 

The fridge is back ordered until late Dec 😞  Not a big deal since the fridge part of ours does work and we do have a freezer in the basement.  WE even have a full fridge and freezer unit in our carport that we could make do with for the time being so we'll just deal.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Well we ordered a new washer, dryer, and fridge.  I simply don't want to talk about the cost, ha. I did find a washer and dryer that is backordered until mid November instead of late Dec though so that is a plus, assuming that doesn't get delayed.  We'll see.  Today I bought a drying rack and dh installed an indoor clothes line.  Both can hold an entire load so I just plan on doing at least a load of laundry a day to keep from needing to need to use my brother's dryer too often. 

The fridge is back ordered until late Dec 😞  Not a big deal since the fridge part of ours does work and we do have a freezer in the basement.  WE even have a full fridge and freezer unit in our carport that we could make do with for the time being so we'll just deal.

Oh man big spendy day.  I am sorry.   I glad it can come somewhat soon and you won't have to deal with issues anymore. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

My kids have no idea what they want for christmas this year

Yeah I hear you.  My kids didn't ask for much.

1 kid said nothing.

1 kid hasn't said anything.

1 kid asked for 2 things, and one of them is refills for a glue gun.

1 kid asked for a few lego sets.

1 kid asked for some school supplies and lego sets.  Of course the school sets we already got when school started. 

They will be fine with whatever we get, but it just stinks that we ( i mean me) has to think of everything.  

• Like 3

Made pea soup in the slow cooker today. I'm cooking my way through the beans. Now I need to move onto the various types of lentils from the Indian grocery! For a while I was trying to stick to 1 lb of meat per day and then cook a big pot of beans to go with it. I think I'll get back onto that bandwagon.

I entered purchases and transactions in YNAB. 

We, well, dd5, got out all the winter clothes yesterday and dumped them on the floor. I need to size everyone's boots and snowsuits, list outgrown snowsuits for sale on eBay, and replace them with the appropriate sizes. Same goes for coats.

Emily

• Like 6

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is everyone aware that homeschool kids can do bookit at Pizza Hut?

We did it every couple of years, not every year until the kids aged out. One Pizza Hut required kids to eat in (probably not with covid) and the parent had to buy a pizza as well. We used to drive a little more, and could drive through and get the kids' free pizza with nothing more than a thank you and the coupon. 

• Like 3

I *think* my littles want room stuff for Christmas. I'm guessing ds will want tech stuff and dd1 clothes.

We usually do 66/67 day winter and 62 at night. If it is sunny that feels ok. If it isn't it feels cold. The kids usually don't notice because they are always moving around. I have fleece socks, pants, and a sweater I wear on the colder days. It is always an adjustment after keeping the house warm for the summer. 

I had dh stop to pick up the feta cheese I forgot for dinner and he bought me $5 flowers. Now where to budget those....

• Like 4

Ebay is killing me this month.  Apparently, they updated some things and now the algorithm is all messed up.  My sales are complete crap right now and I thought it was just me but I'm hearing from tons of other resellers that since the updates their sales have dropped like 50%.  This is crazy.  Time to cross post on other platforms if ebay doesn't fix the issue

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Ebay is killing me this month.  Apparently, they updated some things and now the algorithm is all messed up.  My sales are complete crap right now and I thought it was just me but I'm hearing from tons of other resellers that since the updates their sales have dropped like 50%.  This is crazy.  Time to cross post on other platforms if ebay doesn't fix the issue

Yeah I have heard that from other sellers.  I hope it turns around.  I think other platforms is a great idea. 

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah I have heard that from other sellers.  I hope it turns around.  I think other platforms is a great idea. 

If ebay doesn't fix it fast they are going to lose a lot of business.  I am on a few  facebook reseller sites, not where items are sold but where people share their sales and help identify things, etc.  There are a lot of resellers on their who rely on the money as their income and they are all talking about cross posting for the first time ever.  So many of them are having great success on the other platforms.  So, the longer it takes to fix the issue the more big money earners will just move on and not come back.

• Like 3

Just now, hjffkj said:

If ebay doesn't fix it fast they are going to lose a lot of business.  I am on a few  facebook reseller sites, not where items are sold but where people share their sales and help identify things, etc.  There are a lot of resellers on their who rely on the money as their income and they are all talking about cross posting for the first time ever.  So many of them are having great success on the other platforms.  So, the longer it takes to fix the issue the more big money earners will just move on and not come back.

Very true.  A lot of the resellers I watch are on a bunch of different platforms.  Ebay has competition I feel a lot more now then ever.   They will lose people if they don't fix it.

• Like 2

Got the discount applied to my previous dance orders.  So I am keeping everything.  Opppsss.   Totally stocked in shoes and tights for awhile.  Got odd's pointe shoes which is so important as pointe shoes are really hard to get in her brand right now.   She has 3 pairs besides the ones she is using right now.  Waiting on another shipment from them with a few more pairs of shoes.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Got all our Christmas gifts.  We ordered last week.  No delays for us.  Payed them off too so it feels really good.  We might get the kids more, but not sure.   They don't have a lot of wants so it is work to think of what they want. I am surprised we didn't have delays.  We still don't have the plastic storage that we ordered probably a month ago now. 

• Like 5

I walked DH through YNAB tonight. I think it was overwhelming for him, but that he will work with me on it. He paid $8 for parking, Monday, though, due to scanning his parking pass incorrectly. Sigh. But at least we caught it.

With the racks back in order, I started hanging laundry yesterday. What I enjoy about hanging laundry is that it keeps me running a load a day (because that is how much I can dry), so I never have that overwhelmed feeling about laundry. Dd5 likes hanging laundry with me, and talking my ear off, LOL. Dd13 walks our neighbor's dog mid-morning, which provides a logical break for me to hang laundry. It won't add up to a lot of money, but it will keep my mind in the game. 😉 Also, the vitamin D infusion during reasonable weather is a plus! When winter hits, I'll move the racks indoors and hang laundry after dinner is cleaned up.

ETA: I just realized I have some money in Venmo, so I am going to transfer that to checking, giving me a bit more YNAB wiggle room with set up.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 5

I found a big stash of new yarn at the thrift store today. I grabbed one bag of it, but will go back tomorrow to check out the rest (they were about to close).  I was originally going to flip the yarn on eBay, but I think I will use it to make lace scarves for Christmas gifts for my siblings. It's really pretty! 

I am busting through the rest of my yarn stash to make DS13 a Minecraft themed afghan and pillow.  I spent $7 on more black and white yarn to augment what I have.  I have $120 in Amazon gift cards from Ibotta rebates set aside for books for him, as well.  I would like to get him a few shirts, a new pair of shoes, and some Funko pop figures, too. I think DH wants to get him a Lego set or two. It's a weird age; he doesn't really play with toys anymore, but he's not into typical teen stuff yet. 

I cashed in airline miles for a $50 Omaha Steaks gift card that I will use for a gift for my uncle. 

My mom is (again) not speaking to me, so I am sending a card with good wishes and calling it good enough. That's the theme for this year "Good Enough". 

I have to figure out something for my dad and his current wife. I will probably send them a food gift basket. 

So far, all I have for DH is a few ideas: a cross stitch pattern that has to do with his favorite band, ($5 + a few dollars for embroidery floss), and a book on an artist he liked. 

DH is really stressed at work lately, so I am helping him buy presents for myself so he doesn't have to, lol. I have wanted a vintage Dooney and Bourke purse for a long time, so I told him I am just going to pick out what I want from eBay and save him the stress. He seemed relieved! I found a few needlepoint kits I want, too. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I found a big stash of new yarn at the thrift store today. I grabbed one bag of it, but will go back tomorrow to check out the rest (they were about to close).  I was originally going to flip the yarn on eBay, but I think I will use it to make lace scarves for Christmas gifts for my siblings. It's really pretty! 

I am busting through the rest of my yarn stash to make DS13 a Minecraft themed afghan and pillow.  I spent $7 on more black and white yarn to augment what I have.  I have $120 in Amazon gift cards from Ibotta rebates set aside for books for him, as well.  I would like to get him a few shirts, a new pair of shoes, and some Funko pop figures, too. I think DH wants to get him a Lego set or two. It's a weird age; he doesn't really play with toys anymore, but he's not into typical teen stuff yet. 

I cashed in airline miles for a $50 Omaha Steaks gift card that I will use for a gift for my uncle. 

My mom is (again) not speaking to me, so I am sending a card with good wishes and calling it good enough. That's the theme for this year "Good Enough". 

I have to figure out something for my dad and his current wife. I will probably send them a food gift basket. 

So far, all I have for DH is a few ideas: a cross stitch pattern that has to do with his favorite band, ($5 + a few dollars for embroidery floss), and a book on an artist he liked. 

DH is really stressed at work lately, so I am helping him buy presents for myself so he doesn't have to, lol. I have wanted a vintage Dooney and Bourke purse for a long time, so I told him I am just going to pick out what I want from eBay and save him the stress. He seemed relieved! I found a few needlepoint kits I want, too. 

Awesome getting all your holiday gifts in order!  Smart to use all the rebates and frugal finds.  I bet people love your handmade gifts.  $120 for books!!! Score.  My two teens would love that and give them so many hours of entertainment.  Teens are a bit hard.  I feel like they still want some "toys" of some sort.  So I am still getting them something to play with (Lego sets).  

• Like 5

I transferred my visa points to my credit card as cash and ordered myself some splurgey things—my first pair of Athleta leggings and some skin care stuff from Sephora. I had been saving them for three years. I have been playing around with some less expensive retinol based items trying to find something I like. The Ordinary granactive is nice, I am trying Inkey List next. I also have adaptalene. I am watching some of my friends age really badly and I am terrified. I know we all have kids in college, but wow(!)

I am pretty sure I am ending my StitchFix subscription next week after delivery of this order. I learned a lot from my year with StitchFix; notably that I really should, at my age, buy a few good quality pieces instead of just cheap Old Navy sale items. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I transferred my visa points to my credit card as cash and ordered myself some splurgey things—my first pair of Athleta leggings and some skin care stuff from Sephora. I had been saving them for three years. I have been playing around with some less expensive retinol based items trying to find something I like. The Ordinary granactive is nice, I am trying Inkey List next. I also have adaptalene. I am watching some of my friends age really badly and I am terrified. I know we all have kids in college, but wow(!)

I am pretty sure I am ending my StitchFix subscription next week after delivery of this order. I learned a lot from my year with StitchFix; notably that I really should, at my age, buy a few good quality pieces instead of just cheap Old Navy sale items. 

Since I turned 40 I have spent more on skincare than before. I started using Paula's Choice and have been pretty happy with it. I noticed it is more expensive but it lasts a long time.

I'm with you on clothing. I'm just not sure where to start. I get paralyzed looking at things and deciding is this something I will wear long term so it will be worth the extra money? And is it going to last? So, I've yet to buy anything nicer. I know if I just got a few pieces a year that would go a long way. It is painful to spend very much.

• Like 5

-dh bought the Chromebook posted yesterday- we have been having trouble with mine being slow lately so it was good timing- we'll use my old one as a backup for the younger 2 for school-pulled from the electronics fund for it

-bought groceries- I'm enjoying a bit more wriggle room here- I've noticed that I've been feeling very bored with food lately and not eating as well as I would like- I bought myself some different fruits and veggies and fancy freeze dried fruit for a change of pace (that usually doesn't make it in my budget). 

-gave the older 2 money for good grades (first time actually doing that) they were thrilled

• Like 5

-also thinking we need to buy a new dishwasher- the control panel hasn't worked right in a while- now it is doing a worse and worse job cleaning things- we've ran the cleaner through and done all we know to do but the control panel issues, combined with the cleaning problems, and the age- 14 years- makes me think I need to replace it before it totally goes out- so I'll be shopping this weekend probably

• Like 6