Menu

October Frugalistas 2021

hjffkj

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, that is not good with Vipkid.  That changed fast.  So stressful.

I know it is a rollercoaster. As much as I don't want it to end I'm very tired of the ups and downs. One thing one minute and another the next. Next up we'll see how the global thing turns out.

I should be on track to finish the car fund by the end of next year with just my new lower paying job. I'd hope to finish it in the summer but my original goal was the end of the year. We've put back extra this fall so we're ahead. I still might decide to work next summer to beef up the fund or push up the timeline but I'm hopeful that I won't have to.

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Well, that car we 'bought'?   We got it on Carvana and rejected it once we saw it in person on Saturday.  So...I'm back in the savings game!!! 🙌🏼

Dh got some kind of points thing at work and was able to 'cash' them in for gift cards to a restaurant, so we went out to eat for free on Saturday and have $70 leftover to go back a few times.  

I used my birthday money from inlaws to get some gift cards for ds20's stocking.   Just some places he can run to for lunch when he's at work.  Ds20 is back at home for now.  

I got Christmas wrapping paper for $3 from dollar general and got everything wrapped but one thing this weekend.   The wrapping paper is thin and I got aggravated with it, but it's going to get ripped to shreds anyway.

I've started my grocery list and I think I may save a little bit this week.

I made baked spaghetti for supper today and had enough to freeze a whole 9x13 size dish for some other time when I don't want to cook.   

I think I'm going to get an order for 'subscribe and save' from Amazon on several things we need monthly, like dog food and coffee.  

Well, that is good and bad about the car. That gives you time to focus on your other goals. Very awesome about the gift cards. Sometimes dh will get some from work as a thank you but it is sporadic.

--------++-++-----

Found a bed for dd2 so her new bedroom is pretty well set up, although both girls want some new decorations. I might still change the bed in dd3s room but not right now.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Soror said:

-sold shirt on Marketplace (was a Cmas gift for dh from his family he never wore)- to the car fund

- shopping for a bed for dd2- she's decided she no longer wants to share a room with dd3 (it was their idea to share and they absolutely begged for months)- I told her we can buy a bed as an early bday present (her bday is in November). Found 1 for a great price- lady says she still has it and it is still listed but when I tried to arrange a time to buy it she didn't answer. People are so flaky.

-of course dd3 now says she wants to switch back to the other bed she had- that means I need at least a box springs- maybe a mattress (depending on if I keep the one from the twin/full bunkbed. I told her I'm only doing one of these at a time. Maybe bday for her. 

I'd not make either of them pay for such things except the fact that it has been less than a year and they insisted on sharing over our objections. BECAUSE we knew this would happen!  

Looks like this is my last week with VIPKID. The rumors have a lot of substantiation this time. Usually I'm booked for several classes for next week by today- yet no bookings- virtually no one has any bookings. Now, to decide do I go ahead and move my schedule up with Koreans? Still so many unknowns. will anything come of the VIPKID global? How easy would it be to move my schedule back with Koreans if Global takes off? IDK

Is this about China? I have a friend who is doing ESL with China.

2 hours ago, Ethel Mertz said:

Is this about China? I have a friend who is doing ESL with China.

Yes, China passed a law outlawing foreign teacher, ending 100k+ online ESL jobs. We were first told in August that parents would get to finish their classes and it would be around March of next year when it would officially end. Since then it has changed many times becoming more and more restrictive and closer. Our last update on Tuesday said the end was imminent, but no date. But there have been many messages from parents this weekend that they were told no classes after the 15th. Many companies have already went out of business. VipKid says they are going global but they have said that for years. We have no idea if it will take off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Our washer is not not working right!!! So, we're cancelling the dryer repair and just replacing both. Plus, the freezer is broken again, ha. 

So, October is the month of the appliances. Maybe November will be the month of saving, ha.

Oh that stinks about the appliances.  I am sorry.  Are they older? 

I think you made the right choice not repairing and just replacing.  That is your 3 so you should be good right?

I feel sick to my stomach. Just ordered full winter gear for both boys, plus sneakers in their next size up, and family socks and gloves.  
While I know Kohl’s “regular price” is an inflated joke, I’m still trying to make myself feel better by pointing out my nearly 50% off in the end.  

And I got enough Kohl’s cash to force dd to pick out an ACTUAL winter coat next week. Though now I’m realizing I don’t think she has real boots, either...

My 14yo isn’t allowed to grow anymore until spring.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

I feel sick to my stomach. Just ordered full winter gear for both boys, plus sneakers in their next size up, and family socks and gloves.  
While I know Kohl’s “regular price” is an inflated joke, I’m still trying to make myself feel better by pointing out my nearly 50% off in the end.  

And I got enough Kohl’s cash to force dd to pick out an ACTUAL winter coat next week. Though now I’m realizing I don’t think she has real boots, either...

I think Kohl's prices are good when you get the discounts.  And then when you factor in the KC too it is probably a really good deal.  Feel good about your deal. 

And hey it saves time and money trying to find a deal on all those things on their own.  Good job getting it all done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that stinks about the appliances.  I am sorry.  Are they older? 

I think you made the right choice not repairing and just replacing.  That is your 3 so you should be good right?

They are old enough to be replaced but also potentially have many more years. I just am in no mood to deal with them anymore, ha.

Technically our oven is also broken. It will randomly overheat. But we've been dealing with that for like a year now. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I hate playing Kohl's coupon game. It turns me off so much that I no longer shop there. I was shopping there once a year for new bedsheets and other things around Black Friday. But the last sheet set I got doesn't actually fit our king size mattress so I've decided I'm officially done there

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hate playing Kohl's coupon game. It turns me off so much that I no longer shop there. I was shopping there once a year for new bedsheets and other things around Black Friday. But the last sheet set I got doesn't actually fit our king size mattress so I've decided I'm officially done there

I stepped into Kohl's for the first time in a few years because there was literally nowhere else to buy a belt in person within several miles of me....but I was reminded by how much I hate Kohls when I stepped in.

Also, does everyone's Kohls have a distinct smell? Every single one I have been in has this weird plasticky funk that I find nauseating.

• Like 1

I'm in get-ready-for-baby mode here.  The past few weeks have been super busy.  We got home from a trip to visit my side of the family in California, and have had so many medical appointments packed in since then.  But all is looking good with ds7 medically, and he has only weekly PT and one or two full days of appointments downtown in the weeks before I expect the baby will be here.  Dh has been crazy busy with work and sick at the same time, but he is finally getting better now and the extra money from his new clients will be much appreciated.  My mom and sister threw a baby shower for me, and I am pretty set on baby stuff now (other than a crib, which I will wait to get until he grows out of the bassinette).  I totally expected to have to replace that bassinette, as it has been in storage that mice got into, but it was on a very high shelf and appears untouched.  So I took it apart and sanitized all the pieces, and just need to put it back together now.  It has been through my four kids and a friend's two since I bought it 13 years ago at a garage sale for $10.

I finally took the new school year photos and did our tradition of schultuten today (better late than never!).  There really wasn't very much they needed for new school supplies, but they were very happy with the few items they did need, some basics like crafting paper, new water bottles, and some candy.  I cut all their hair the other day, too.  We still haven't finished with the Fall kids' clothing shopping, though I got most of it done at some thrift stores before our trip.  The rest of it is mostly things I need to buy new, like underclothes, socks, and a few items I couldn't find.  I also have to go through the winter snow gear and see what still fits, what I can sell back to the thrift store for credit, and what needs replacing.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Our washer is not not working right!!! So, we're cancelling the dryer repair and just replacing both. Plus, the freezer is broken again, ha. 

So, October is the month of the appliances. Maybe November will be the month of saving, ha.

It's your trifecta of broken things. You can be done now!  Congrats!  Heads up that you want to make sure you can get new appliances in ASAP.  Many appliances here have wait lists of 6 months plus.  It's why I gave you multiple suggestions in the other thread. Best wishes!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's your trifecta of broken things. You can be done now!  Congrats!  Heads up that you want to make sure you can get new appliances in ASAP.  Many appliances here have wait lists of 6 months plus.  It's why I gave you multiple suggestions in the other thread. Best wishes!

sadly I'm way over the trifecta.  our oven is broken and both of my vacuums are not working properly.  The Roomba is under warranty so I gotta make that call real soon. At this point I don't think anything else could break in this house

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

sadly I'm way over the trifecta.  our oven is broken and both of my vacuums are not working properly.  The Roomba is under warranty so I gotta make that call real soon. At this point I don't think anything else could break in this house

Don't say that.  We had two vehicles break down and several other things were functional but not optimal in that time period.  On that front, we're still saving to fix our HVAC. **knocking on wood for you** Also, I'm sorry.

• Like 3

I had a frugalista fail this weekend.  Our bigger dehumidifier died this weekend.  We normally have two. We didn't replace the first when it died, but kept the second one going.  I tried replacing it with a smaller and less expensive unit from amazon that should still be sufficient capacity, but it's doing nothing. It hasn't budged the hygrometer a bit. So, I need to orchestrate an amazon return.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Just used the Old Navy deal to stock up for my three daughters for fall and winter. Thanks, @mommyoffive. I also went to Once Upon a Child today and got three pairs of long pants for ds9 for about $18 and winter and fall clothes for dd5 in the next size up. I think we're set for a while.

While at OUAC, dh called to ask if he could buy tickets to the play-off game today for our local baseball team. He's been following it like crazy, and I agreed. Well, the game got rain-delayed until tomorrow, which means the weather is forecast to be beautiful instead of nasty. DH can't make it tomorrow, and he resold the tickets and made a tidy profit. Happy surprise.

Emily

• Like 5

On 10/7/2021 at 2:59 PM, historically accurate said:

DH's overtime was cut today. Bleah. I guess I need to cut the budget for the next few months - probably about $40ish a week. 

@heartlikealion, have you looked at mint or ynab for doing your checking account? There's probably some freebie apps for that as well.

Personally, I like excel and I just have a spreadsheet with only 3 columns - one with the name of who I paid and one with the amount and a calculator with the total. When the item hits the bank account I just highlight the row so I can see what's still outstanding. I'm an accountant though, so I know I like excel and most don't. It looks like this:

Walmart     -122.80            212.80

Paycheck    500.00             712.80

I started to sign up for YNAB but they said only like 7 days are free and then it's $12/month! I was like nope. I don't even consistently do a streaming service because I'm trying to avoid unnecessary recurring fees. I am just going to modify my excel spreadsheet and add in things as they come to my attention (ie ordering checks. And this month paying to renew my PO box). I DID get the bank to waive the $29 overdraft fee as a courtesy when I explained the situation and they said I've never overdrawn or whatever before. 

One more trip to the storage unit and it will be empty. The office said they have canceled my recurring storage unit fee. 

I don't know how many more sessions of PT I have left. I canceled one recently due to finances, but went yesterday. Instead of buying a real ball I bought a cheap playball that will do the same thing for my back exercise ($2.50 vs like $14). I just lean on it against a wall. 

Walmart canceled my second window A/C unit a month or so ago due to low stock so I had store credit in my account (I guess I bought an ibotta gift card so it went back to my walmart pay account as a gift card). For the last several trips to walmart I've just paid using that. Finished off the gift card last night. 

I'm kind of mad at myself for buying a Kohl's gift card a month or so ago. I bought the gift card to get a discount on it... but then the original set of items I ordered were canceled due to inventory and the replacement item I bought didn't fit well (jeans) and now I'm just stuck with this Kohl's gift card. Kohl's is not that close to my house. I will make a trip there and return these jeans and then see if I can try on anything in the store or save the gift card to use closer to the holidays (I don't even think my family will exchange gifts and I don't have to worry about shopping for dh's side of the family anymore I guess... but maybe I can use on the kids).

I bought a cheap chopper several months ago on Amazon. The think sucked. Dd and I tried to make smoothies and it wouldn't even turn on half the time. I splurged and got the Ninja chopper I saw on Target (it was only $20). I could never find it before this week. That will be my go-to appliance for making hummus, chopping nuts, and making smoothies. I consider it a worthwhile item. I don't have a crockpot anymore but I took my Instantpot out of storage and hope to learn to use the dang thing. It can supposedly replace a crockpot. 

• Like 5

The washer and dryer set I want are backordered until Dec 😓 since the washer is usable it just requires more hands on work I think we will order them and just make do. We'll use my brother's dryer and line dry. Normally I wouldn't wait but the things available are not things I want to waste money on

• Sad 5

I had loosely been following the ESL news (I was in a VIPKID and Magic Ears Facebook group. I had applied to both at various times but the offer + stress etc had me walk away). I see it keeps changing which sounds very frustrating. 

I thought about Rev but reviewers say you are paid per job not hour and the transcription can take hours. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

The washer and dryer set I want are backordered until Dec 😓 since the washer is usable it just requires more hands on work I think we will order them and just make do. We'll use my brother's dryer and line dry. Normally I wouldn't wait but the things available are not things I want to waste money on

If you are near an IKEA, their drying racks are relatively affordable if you need more drying space.  We got by in our family of 6 for a few months with 4 drying racks and hangars in doorways. I think you are wise not to settle for bad machines.  

I'm sorry they are backordered.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If you are near an IKEA, their drying racks are relatively affordable if you need more drying space.  We got by in our family of 6 for a few months with 4 drying racks and hangars in doorways. I think you are wise not to settle for bad machines.  

I'm sorry they are backordered.

I will be near an IKEA on Friday when I visit my friend in Baltimore so thank you for the suggestion.  We'll be good with a few drying racks, my parents dryer at their house until settlement mid Nov and my brother's dryer across the street.  Just what a pain.  

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

I will be near an IKEA on Friday when I visit my friend in Baltimore so thank you for the suggestion.  We'll be good with a few drying racks, my parents dryer at their house until settlement mid Nov and my brother's dryer across the street.  Just what a pain.  

Yeah. If you are going to IKEA, you also want their octopus clip hangar. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-with-16-clothes-clips-turquoise-10421217/ It's super handy for socks, bras, and other things that are small.

These are the drying racks I have: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frost-drying-rack-indoor-outdoor-white-40244831/  I can hang most of a full load on them. The frame style is really nice for heavy stuff like towels and jeans. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah. If you are going to IKEA, you also want their octopus clip hangar. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-with-16-clothes-clips-turquoise-10421217/ It's super handy for socks, bras, and other things that are small.

These are the drying racks I have: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frost-drying-rack-indoor-outdoor-white-40244831/  I can hang most of a full load on them. The frame style is really nice for heavy stuff like towels and jeans. 

That is the drying rack my sil has and what she recommended but didn't actually know it was ikea. we hadn't gotten that far in the convo because she is still dealing with a baby in the hospital.

Thank you for your help

• Like 2

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I had loosely been following the ESL news (I was in a VIPKID and Magic Ears Facebook group. I had applied to both at various times but the offer + stress etc had me walk away). I see it keeps changing which sounds very frustrating. 

I thought about Rev but reviewers say you are paid per job not hour and the transcription can take hours. 

I wanted to say congrats on all the things you sold at the fair. I hope it is a worthwhile side job for you.

I found the same thing you did about Rev, it doesn't look worthwhile for the time investment.

I would bet YNAB would give you a free membership if you wrote explaining your situation.

BUT there is a learning curve and I can understand not wanting to mess with it. 

My mom does her budget totally old school. She keeps a checkbook register, as soon as she has a transaction she writes it in there.. I do the same thing on YNAB. I enter transactions when I do them, not when they clear. I was not great with that before YNAB but you can totally do that with paper and pencil or in a spreadsheet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

- Paid from Korean company- $50 (just 3 days last month)

-Dh buys a million dollars in gas as usual- 🙂

Keeping on, keeping on here. 

Nearing 75% of Crowdtap goal. 

Not much exciting (thankfully after so many months of so many big expenses). Knock on wood!

VIPKID is still kicking and they are still not telling us crap. Saying there is no end date yet they are certainly telling some parents that they can't take anymore classes. We think it must be in phases. So, I'm still teaching with them until I can't. Nearly fully booked. WTHK???

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Soror said:

Not much exciting (thankfully after so many months of so many big expenses). Knock on wood!

VIPKID is still kicking and they are still not telling us crap. Saying there is no end date yet they are certainly telling some parents that they can't take anymore classes. We think it must be in phases. So, I'm still teaching with them until I can't. Nearly fully booked. WTHK???

Yay for your crowdtap success.

NO big expenses is great.

Glad you are still booked with Vipkid, but that really sucks they are not telling you anything.

• Like 2

Haven't ordered the new car yet.  But we will be soon.

Went on a field trip with their school to a pumpkin farm.  Spent $8 extra.  A deal as everyone got a pumpkin and the admission is like $20 per person. 

Just did a huge dance shoe order, a few leos, and tights.  Just that with a good sale it was still hundreds.  But it is always good to have extra shoes and tights stocked up, as my kids go through them fast.  They are back to dancing in person, and Nutcracker rehearsals start next month.  So lots more hours.   Will return an order that I did before without the discount. Pointe shoes for 25% off?  Yes, please. 

Spending a lot in gas.  Oh lockdown life was nice.  

Grocery shopped last night.

Bought odd some new winter boots last night. 

Oh 2 of my kids are going to be in Invisalign and expanders starting today.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

VIPKid paid me $32 yesterday to open one slot (on top of the money since I had a class). It's so weird they are still paying out incentives and programs - I don't understand their business model. It's part of the reason I didn't start with them for over a year since they seem so scammy.

Great job on the rest!

• Like 4

Good:  for whatever reason, FSA card has more money on it than last year.   It's allowed dh to get his Vein issue fixed.  Also should pay for ds's new insulin pump... fingers crossed.  
Got groceries yesterday, wasn't so bad.  Could've been much worse.    

Bad:   We're getting 2 trees cut down tomorrow.  $1700 includes stump grinding, clean up.  Costs so much because our gate is small and they can't bring a bucket truck in so they have to have a tree climber.    Last storm, I laid in bed worrying about them, so they really do need to go.  
I forgot a couple things for my grocery pickup and have to run to the local grocer this afternoon.   Oh well.  Cats gotta eat. 🤷🏻‍♀️😆  or so they tell me every chance they get.  

• Like 3

Child Tax Credit 2021: Here's when the fourth check will deposit (msn.com)

After the October 15 payment, there are only two checks remaining under the current incarnation of the Child Tax Credit (CTC). The Biden Administration is seeking to renew the enhanced CTC through 2025, providing a monthly cash child allowance to roughly 60 million children, but its fate may be up in the air amid some pushback from lawmakers about the cost and structure of the benefit. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, heartlikealion said:

I DID get the bank to waive the $29 overdraft fee as a courtesy when I explained the situation and they said I've never overdrawn or whatever before. 

One more trip to the storage unit and it will be empty. The office said they have canceled my recurring storage unit fee. 

Congrats on getting your storage unit cleared out! That is a great way to save money.

And kudos to you for taking the initiative to ask about waiving the bank fee. It is always a good idea to ask, especially if you've never overdrafted before.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Soror,

Any Crowdtap hints or tricks?  I am thinking of letting my kids do it.  

How much time do you put in a day/week?  How much are you getting a week or month doing it? 

If anyone wants a referral to Crowdtap let me know.

The only tip I have is there are different surveys on the computer than the app. You get more doing both. I don't count time. I do it when I have time to kill like sitting beside a kid doing work they just need help here and there. Before it was about $5 every 5 days, it seems to be more now. I'm at $75 now since starting back in September. I had about $40 backlog. I've earned $25 already this month.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, historically accurate said:

VIPKid paid me $32 yesterday to open one slot (on top of the money since I had a class). It's so weird they are still paying out incentives and programs - I don't understand their business model. It's part of the reason I didn't start with them for over a year since they seem so scammy.

Great job on the rest!

I know the incentives and referrals make no sense to me. I waited a long time to go after the job because I thought it must be a scam. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long. They have been great, until all this crap, a lot out of their control but still annoying I've never heard of anyone not getting paid. Now many of the companies already have shut down they are still going and paying us. Parts of their business model makes no sense but it is for sure not a scam.

The new rumor is Nov 4th is the last day supposedly to be announced today or tomorrow. Eventually rumors will be true. We'll see. I'm ride or die now, they pay way more than my other gig.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

The only tip I have is there are different surveys on the computer than the app. You get more doing both. I don't count time. I do it when I have time to kill like sitting beside a kid doing work they just need help here and there. Before it was about $5 every 5 days, it seems to be more now. I'm at $75 now since starting back in September. I had about $40 backlog. I've earned $25 already this month.

Do your kids do it at all?  I read that you can be 13 and up.  I thought it would be a little thing they could do to earn some money. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do your kids do it at all?  I read that you can be 13 and up.  I thought it would be a little thing they could do to earn some money. 

My son has a job and makes a good amount of money, he's not interested.

Dd1 signed up and did it a bit but it didn't seem to bring up many surveys for her and then of the ones they did bring up many weren't applicable to her.

• Like 1

-grocery shopping done

-med picked up for ds- I have nearly a month extra for him now- I think by the new year we'll have 2 (he doesn't take on weekend or holidays and I'm filling it as early as possible every month since hitting deductible)

-cash for school lunches and rewards for grades from ATM 

-I think we'll have some med expenses coming up- one dc is having some issues; I have $800 until the family deductible so unless it is a big something (let's hope not) it will be OOP- have an appt next week but am calling today to see if we can go earlier and might need to schedule another dr too

-payday and IRS CTC- car fund at 56.7%

• Like 2

I spent about two hours figuring out and starting up YNAB for my family yesterday. DH isn't so sure about it, since budgeting has been pretty mentally fraught in the past, but I am hopeful. This is a rough year (and we have college staring us in the face, and a teenage boy about to get a license! argh!). I plan to spend another half hour tonight and then to walk DH through it.

I plan to apply for another job this weekend. Right now, doing YNAB, helps me see exactly what the issues are. I can see that if I don't budget, adding any money to our income won't really solve the long-term savings problem.

My parents gave us money to replace our dining room chairs, which sort of bothers DH, but once he realized that they probably gave us the money because they were also giving another sibling money, he was OK with it. What is funny is that it doesn't bother me that our dining room chairs are falling apart; what bothers me is the sofa! But apparently that didn't annoy my parents.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soror said:

My son has a job and makes a good amount of money, he's not interested.

Dd1 signed up and did it a bit but it didn't seem to bring up many surveys for her and then of the ones they did bring up many weren't applicable to her.

Yeah my teens don't have jobs.  They have wanted to, but Covid came at the right time to rule that out.  We were really locked down until July/August.  They possibly could have done something outside, but I am not thrilled with them getting hours in the sun for work.  Anyway they are both really busy with school, school extras, and dance. And one kid added in mountain biking around his dance and performance schedule.  

Boo that stinks that your dd didn't get many surveys.  Maybe I will let them try and see what happens.

• Like 1

Expect to pay 30% more if you heat with natural gas (US) this winter....according to this article:

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/13/1045723713/home-heating-costs-this-winter-natural-gas-electric

Elsewhere I'm seeing prices are 2x here in the US, 4x in the UK. Perhaps 2x and +30% more are reconcilable if you are considering fuel delivery charges.  

Either way, winter heating season has started here, so I'm shifting our budget around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I spent about two hours figuring out and starting up YNAB for my family yesterday. DH isn't so sure about it, since budgeting has been pretty mentally fraught in the past, but I am hopeful. This is a rough year (and we have college staring us in the face, and a teenage boy about to get a license! argh!). I plan to spend another half hour tonight and then to walk DH through it.

I plan to apply for another job this weekend. Right now, doing YNAB, helps me see exactly what the issues are. I can see that if I don't budget, adding any money to our income won't really solve the long-term savings problem.

My parents gave us money to replace our dining room chairs, which sort of bothers DH, but once he realized that they probably gave us the money because they were also giving another sibling money, he was OK with it. What is funny is that it doesn't bother me that our dining room chairs are falling apart; what bothers me is the sofa! But apparently that didn't annoy my parents.

Good for you for looking at your spending and realizing what you do and how to do it better.  

Good luck for the job you are applying for. 

Can you use the money for the sofa instead? 

• Like 1

I got this code today.  Does anyone want it?

Add personal touches to your home with custom art prints from our friends at Shutterfly. As an IKEA Family member, you have access to this special offer for 4 free 8x10 art prints (just pay shipping).*

Valid through November 11th, 2021 with discount code IKEAPRINTS.

Offer expires November 11, 2021 (11:59 P.M. PT). Offer is good for four free 8x10 non-framed, non-metallic art prints on signature cardstock through shutterfly.com or the Shutterfly app. Not valid on Disney styles, metallic, framed and other art print sizes/finish, other products and prior purchases. Free product offers cannot be combined with free shipping. Shipping and handling will apply. Taxes may apply. Offer cannot be combined with other code-based %-off or $-off offers. Promo can only be redeemed once per account and/or billing address. Code can only be entered once. Offer cannot be redeemed for cash or combined with select offers or credits. Not valid for resale. Shutterfly may modify or replace any part of these terms and conditions without notice at any time. Shutterfly may refuse or cancel orders due to promo and pricing errors, fraud, misuse, or unauthorized use. Valid while supplies last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Best wishes on your budget. BTW the YNAB Facebook group is great, if you've not already joined. There customer service is also top notch. It can be a painful process at first but the security of knowing exactly what is coming in and going out and building up those funds is the best. You are right unless you are budgeting income doesn't matter that much (unless you make a large amount of money- my husband would always say let's just cut back- but without concrete goals and priorities that doesn't work).

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah my teens don't have jobs.  They have wanted to, but Covid came at the right time to rule that out.  We were really locked down until July/August.  They possibly could have done something outside, but I am not thrilled with them getting hours in the sun for work.  Anyway they are both really busy with school, school extras, and dance. And one kid added in mountain biking around his dance and performance schedule.  

Boo that stinks that your dd didn't get many surveys.  Maybe I will let them try and see what happens.

No harm in trying.