Menu

Where to go with math (post pre-calculus)

My son will be finished with pre-calculus (using unlock math) in a few months. I'm not sure what to do next.

He is progressing through this course fine and feels he is understanding, but he doesn't think he''ll "remember much of this in a year or so."  He is having to repeat lessons/concepts more lately--I think the material is just a bit harder at the end. I'm not sure if he should just keep plugging forward or somehow solidify skills. He doesn't enjoy math. 

1. For the remainder of this year, is there something he could do to solidify his math to this point and to help skills stay fresh? If I could find a way to do this, I would like him take an alternative math-adjacent course (likely statistics) 2nd semester.   I am not comfortable dropping math entirely for the remainder of the year. 

For example, I wondered about running him quickly through Math-U-See precalc and calculus. Math U See would be beneath the curriculum breadth/depth/challenge of what he's used in the past, but maybe it would explain it in a way that helps him master and retain. (His brother uses Math U See, so purchasing these wouldn't be "extra" for me). 

Or, maybe, there is a better program to use for the same effect? It can't involve much of me as a teacher.  

2. Is calculus in high school important?  If so, what could he use for a calculus that explains well and doesn't require me? 

3. Would a better/decent alternative be a finite math or similar at the community college? (This would likely be next year, as a senior?)

Edited by sbgrace

Consider the Derek Owens Precalc course. The way it’s set up it is fairly easy to test through. You can use it graded or as a self-graded course. If he likes that DO has a Calc AB course that could be done over a semester or a year. 

Dd used a math tutor friend the year we did DO Precalc. She was also doing another math elective and it was nice for her to have someone to talk about math with.

How important calculus in high school is depends on his goals. It's always an asset to a high schooler in admissions. The more STEM-related the field and the more selective the school, the more it's essentially a requirement. No one gets into a highly selective school to study engineering without calculus these days. But a liberal arts school for a non-STEM interested student? Meh. May not be necessary at all. Depends on how selective the school is.

If I had a kid finishing pre-calc midyear and I knew they were going to have to do calculus eventually, I'd consider having them do a community college calculus course in the spring. There are pluses and minuses to that path, but I'd be hesitant for a student to take time off from the math sequence and have to start it anew the following year. If the student is capable, but not likely to need much more math, then the credit is done and in time for colleges to see it, so it's an asset in admissions. Then they can take AP Stats or stats DE the following year. But, of course, this is less of a good plan if the student needs more support, won't succeed in the community college course, etc.

An in between option... he could do ASU Universal Learner (the new branded version of Earned Admission) for either brief calculus or calc I. That would only be $25. If he does well, you could pay for the credit (it's $400). If he doesn't do well, then whatever, you're out $25 and no one will ever know and he will have reviewed some stuff and been introduced to some topics so he'll be ready for it the following year. And you can still give credit for it. It could be Bridge to Calculus or something on your homeschool transcript.

• Like 8