Menu

Spreadsheet help?

Kiara.I

Is anybody great with spreadsheets? I don't know how to search for instructions for what I want to do, because I don't know what it would be called...

I have a spreadsheet with our weekly work listed out across a row, with different columns for different subjects and different kids. Some subjects are for kids together, others are individual.

I want an easily editable printable sheet by kid, that draws the info from the master sheet. I know how to reference cells on a different sheet, that's easy. But I want to have it reference row 1 the first week, but then row 2 the second week, and so on. Preferable just by changing one cell on the secondary sheet, rather than redoing references for each cell.

Is this a thing? What feature do I use?
I'm attaching a picture of more or less what I'm envisioning, in case my explanation was clear as mud.IMG_20210923_151625.thumb.jpg.d0d9fd2e2834221ac5488112858ab61d.jpg

I'm pretty good with Excel, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it. I'm also not completely sure I understand what you are trying to do because the picture you posted is a little hard (for me) to read with the highlighting. But IF I understand correctly, you might want to consider using filters instead. Then you can choose to filter the data by one child or another or both. Does that make sense? 

Are all of the items for a week on the same row?  And the vertical columns remain the same each week for a child?

If so, I think the easiest way would be to have your individual kids' sheets reference Row 1 on your main sheet.  Then on the main sheet I would reserve Row 1 for an updated week so that it reads row X for that week.  Then you only need to change the number in the first cell and copy it over.   Then the kids sheets can access the columns necessary.  That way each kids' sheet is always referencing the same cell from the main sheet but that main cell is updated each week.  

Set up a cell at the top of your page where you input the week number then set up a nested formula where for the row reference it pulls from that week number (week number will need to match the row or set it up so it adds 1 or 2 before pulling for the row reference).  

or you could set it up with a date function that counts days from when you start your year and based on how many days that is, pulls from the correct row.