Menu

Need ideas on weight loss

NorthernBeth

well baby steps:   i made supper last night..... stuffed bell peppers.   And took the youngest for a walk to the park.  I am looking into the ddpy membership, and reached out to a therapist who specializes in eating issues. Hopefully I will hear back from him soon.   I joined up to the Half-Size Me program and and am still trying to get a sense of that for mindset ideas. I am going to try and call the nursing station next week and get myself put on the doctor's list and see about doing some blood work-ups.  

I found all these ideas and resources really helpful.  Thanks guys. Feeling way less depressed and hopeless about this today.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, NorthernBeth said:

is this the ddpy yoga workout system?  it looks really interesting.

Yes, that is it. I think there is a free 2 week trial so you can see if you like it.

One thing I appreciated about his workouts is that he uses real people in them. They aren't fitness models who are perfect and have never been fat in their life.  All the people in the videos are people that use the program to get in shape. That ended up meaning a lot to me.

The app is a pretty good deal, IMO. There is a lot of content on it: hundreds of workouts, recipes, motivational videos. And if you stick with the workouts long enough, he sends you a free shirt, lol! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

When I was 25 I lost at least 64 pounds (not really sure what my starting weight was) and have, for the most part, kept it off now for 33 years. And yes to the bolded. Any diet can work. They all come down to reducing calories, it just depends on what type of foods are emphasized. Often people find the WOE that works for them and think that's *the* one that will work for everybody, but IME that's not true at all. And success does indeed mean learning new habits and sticking with them for life. 

I see people pop into the DDPY group and ask "What's the BEST diet for weight loss?"  All of them. None of them. What way of eating will you stick with? Do that one, every day, and you'll see results.   

It always reminds me of the people that breeze in to homeschool groups and ask "What's the BEST math curriculum?"  

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

(((NorthernBeth))))

The blog I write is about how I lost 55 lbs. with two babies and how 15 years later I keep the pounds off. I'd been heavy all of my life. Bullied, the whole nine yards.

You're right: maintenance is huge.

Here's today's post: How to Keep It Small and Sane as we Lose for the Holidays.

I love your blog!

• Like 1

I'm working on trying to be healthy and one thing I do is a lot of stretching. Stress makes my whole body feel tight and stretching helps me feel like I have better use of my body. My knees are really sensitive, so I can't do anything that requires you to sit on your knees. I've been using some of these stretching videos . I don't worry about her claim that I'll be a svelte as her in 14 days, but I feel more limber after doing them. 

I would assume the DDP Yoga would help with this as well. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

(((NorthernBeth))))

The blog I write is about how I lost 55 lbs. with two babies and how 15 years later I keep the pounds off. I'd been heavy all of my life. Bullied, the whole nine yards.

You're right: maintenance is huge.

Here's today's post: How to Keep It Small and Sane as we Lose for the Holidays.

loved your post.... especially the part about patience!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I see people pop into the DDPY group and ask "What's the BEST diet for weight loss?"  All of them. None of them. What way of eating will you stick with? Do that one, every day, and you'll see results.   

It always reminds me of the people that breeze in to homeschool groups and ask "What's the BEST math curriculum?"  

I thought the same thing when I read that! :)

• Like 2

I want to put another plug in for intermittent fasting. I just think the word diet and I get hungry. I don't like putting a lot of effort into watching my eating either. Food is a real source of pleasure for me, and when I start making things off limits, I only want them more. My weight was creeping up in the last few years and other diets weren't sticking.

I only eat between 11 and 7. Once my husband retires and we can set our own dinner schedule, I'll probably shift that back an hour to 10-6 or make it 11-6. I tried also doing a 24 hour dinner to dinner fast once a week, but it was too hard, so now I do a 24 hour fast about once a month or so. I eat pretty much what I want during my eating hours, though I do try and limit my sugar during the week, keeping desserts for the weekend (though it's not a hard rule-if I'm really craving some sugar I still eat some). I stopped gaining and then slowly lost most of what I wanted. The most important thing though is that I am not feeling deprived and I don't have to think about it much. I make exceptions for times when it isn't practical to keep those hours, but then the next day I go back to 16 hours fasting. 

I used to think it would never work because I need breakfast, but it turns out it was easy for me to just gradually eat breakfast later and later, and I realized I was fine as long as I was hydrated. Intermittent fasting is something I can maintain without effort, thought, or deprivation, which is my kind of diet, lol.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I also like intermittent fasting.  I find calorie counting too frustrating.

I was doing Alternate Day Fasting with good results, but fell of the wagon.  Returning to it is hard, because there are usually frustrations that make me want to eat.   And therefore I have regained the weight that ADF helped me get off (back to having to lose 100lbs to get to ideal).

I am just returning to intermittent fasting.   I set the initial low bar goal of stopping gaining weight.   This thread has encouraged me to dust off my DDP.

I eat healthy home-cooked meals and walk at least 10,000 steps a day.   My mind has a hard time accepting that I can't eat as much food as I do.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, livetoread said:

I used to think it would never work because I need breakfast, but it turns out it was easy for me to just gradually eat breakfast later and later, and I realized I was fine as long as I was hydrated. Intermittent fasting is something I can maintain without effort, thought, or deprivation, which is my kind of diet, lol.

I have always needed breakfast.  But I also don’t like to eat before I leave for work.  So I usually eat at my desk between 9-10. I have noticed though that if things get crazy and I can’t eat…….I look up and it is 11 and I haven’t died yet.  Lol.  But what throws me off is if I eat my breakfast at 11 I don’t really want any lunch and then by 3 I am ravenous but I am at work with no real food.  So I still working on that.  
when I was young I seemed to be able to skip super completely…..often.  And I could drop 5 pounds easily.  Now I don’t want to skip supper.  I think I could….but other people want to eat and so it seems socially awkward to skip.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, deBij said:

I eat healthy home-cooked meals and walk at least 10,000 steps a day.   My mind has a hard time accepting that I can't eat as much food as I do.

This is so familiar. I menu plan healthy family meals and snacks. I get at least 10,000 steps a day. Three times a week I get closer to 20,000 steps. I get a couple workouts a week with weights and HIIT. 

Yet I am still 60 lbs overweight. I obviously eat more of the healthy meals I plan than I should but it is hard to get my mind around how little I can apparently eat to not gain weight.  And it isn’t just me that can’t get my mind around it. I hardly ever go to the doctor because when I do I get some variation of “try to plan your snacks so you don’t end up going through a drive thru” or “there are healthy fast food options.” I literally cannot remember the last time I went through a drive thru even for my kids. I don’t eat fast food. I eat healthy homemade food! (Just not small enough portions I guess). 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

. I hardly ever go to the doctor because when I do I get some variation of “try to plan your snacks so you don’t end up going through a drive thru” or “there are healthy fast food options.” I literally cannot remember the last time I went through a drive thru even for my kids. I don’t eat fast food. I eat healthy homemade food! (Just not small enough portions I guess). 

I hear and read this so much.  It's really disturbing how medical professionals assume people who are overweight don't exercise and eat junk all the time.  There is also a lot of fat-shaming.  Yet, they wouldn't assume that about a thin person who may never exercise and eats junk all the time (this is my DH).  

ETA - and this is the most important part - it's terrible that so many people avoid medical care because of the way they expect to be treated because of their weight.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I know three people who were morbidly obese and lost weight down to their desired BMI simply by walking every day. They all invested in treadmills and walked between 30 and 60 minutes per day. Do you have room for a treadmill? It doesn’t have to be a crazy expensive one if you’re only using it for walking. 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 4

As the others have said, you need to find the lifestyle that works for you. Diets don't work. Exercising in a way that you enjoy and eating a certain way that you can maintain and doesn't feel like punishment/torture is the way to keep a healthy weight. Obviously, you want to first rule out any underlying medical issues (thyroid, PCOS, pre-diabetes, etc.) that could be sabotaging your weight loss. I always suggest people make an appointment with an endocrinologist if they think something hormonal might be at play ("I've been dieting and working out and the weight won't come off, etc.").

I also want to a put in a plug for bariatric surgery. It sounds like it may not be necessary in your case because you might still have some food/exercise issues to address that could do the trick. But, for anyone else reading, if you feel like you have tried everything and the weight is still not coming off despite all of your efforts, I urge you to consider bariatric surgery. I wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did, beating myself up for not being able to get the pregnancy weight off. I tried and tried and tried and it just would not budge. Sure, I would lose some with ridiculous amounts of effort, but the minute I would relax just a little, my weight would go right back up. It was just not sustainable.

My doctor suggested bariatric surgery for 5 years before I finally decided to go for it -- so sure was I that I could get the weight off. And the main reason I finally pulled the trigger was because I had a career goal to go back to school to become a nurse practitioner, and I knew that I could never survive being on my feet for 12+ hours per day being 80+ lbs overweight. I had a gastric bypass in 2018 and it's honestly been a really easy experience. My weight went right back down to around my usual adult weight before kids (I am 5'4" and 135 lbs) more or less with very little effort on my part (compared to what I used to have to do to get the scale to move at all) and it has been similarly easy to maintain. If I see the scale move more than 5 lbs up, I just reign things back in a bit, and the scale moves back down. Wow. Amazing.

Having said that, I really didn't have eating issues. I had a metabolic issue (PCOS) and the surgery essentially reset my metabolism. They don't really totally understand how the surgery works. People with diabetes literally leave the hospital off meds before they've even lost any weight. What they know is that the surgery works for the majority of people, and for that reason, it has become the gold standard for the treatment of obesity. So, there is my PSA and attempt to reduce the stigma of bariatric surgery.    

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 9

On 9/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, livetoread said:

I want to put another plug in for intermittent fasting. I just think the word diet and I get hungry. I don't like putting a lot of effort into watching my eating either. Food is a real source of pleasure for me, and when I start making things off limits, I only want them more. My weight was creeping up in the last few years and other diets weren't sticking.

I only eat between 11 and 7. Once my husband retires and we can set our own dinner schedule, I'll probably shift that back an hour to 10-6 or make it 11-6. I tried also doing a 24 hour dinner to dinner fast once a week, but it was too hard, so now I do a 24 hour fast about once a month or so. I eat pretty much what I want during my eating hours, though I do try and limit my sugar during the week, keeping desserts for the weekend (though it's not a hard rule-if I'm really craving some sugar I still eat some). I stopped gaining and then slowly lost most of what I wanted. The most important thing though is that I am not feeling deprived and I don't have to think about it much. I make exceptions for times when it isn't practical to keep those hours, but then the next day I go back to 16 hours fasting. 

What do you drink before your eat at 11?  Just water?  Would a drink with a tiny amount of calories be ok? Or can you not have any calories before your time starts? Also do you take vitamins? That is one of my hold ups because I have to eat to take them or I get nauseous qq.  I suppose I could wait to take them at 11 but always just think I need to take them with breakfast.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busymama7 said:

What do you drink before your eat at 11?  Just water?  Would a drink with a tiny amount of calories be ok? Or can you not have any calories before your time starts? Also do you take vitamins? That is one of my hold ups because I have to eat to take them or I get nauseous qq.  I suppose I could wait to take them at 11 but always just think I need to take them with breakfast.  

I don't drink anything but water or herbal tea, no sweetener. I think the idea is any calories breaks the fast, so no calories, and I would include any zero calories artificial things like sweetener in my off limits list personally (though I don't know about any research supporting that so who knows?). I take Calcium and Vitamin D, and the Calcium can make me nauseous so I take them when I eat around 11. I do know lots of people drink their caffeinated beverage of choice but with no additives, so black or no sweetener.

The research regarding the weight loss benefits supports no calories for the shorter fasts (14-16 or so hours), but the preliminary research I could find on other benefits like cell rejuvenation might only kick in after about 24-36 hours of fasting. There is still a lot we don't know, but initial stuff is interesting and I like how well it works for me.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I don't drink anything but water or herbal tea, no sweetener. I think the idea is any calories breaks the fast, so no calories, and I would include any zero calories artificial things like sweetener in my off limits list personally (though I don't know about any research supporting that so who knows?).

I have heard this too.  I couldn't go that long without my diet soda!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I have heard this too.  I couldn't go that long without my diet soda!  

I am not a soda drinker but do drink an ACV concoction as well as a lemon drink with tumeric for inflammation etc.  I was thinking it might be easier to wait to eat if I was sipping on one of my drinks.  But I can do the water only and see what happens.  How long until you started losing? @livetoread

21 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

“try to plan your snacks so you don’t end up going through a drive thru” or “there are healthy fast food options.” 

It is definitely frustrating.   Even when I joined Weight Watchers many eons ago, I heard the same messaging:  Cut down fast food and soft drinks, and go for a walk.   I hardly ate fast food, and was a regular runner.

I like Jason Fung's messages on fasting.  It is a doable way for me to reduce my intake.

I started a picture-based food intake diary yesterday, and it already reduced how much I ate (because I didn't want to take a picture of a second helping, nor the treat I was offered when visiting my family).

• Like 5

On 9/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, MissLemon said:

I've been doing DDPY for the last 6 months and have lost 42 lbs. I still have another 40 to go before I am at my goal weight and a healthy bmi. I started in a size 18 and am now in a size 8.  I'm peri-menopausal, have Hashimoto's disease and was told it would be "near impossible" for me to lose weight with those strikes against me.  

It's not too late to start improving your health.  This is a video that a boardie showed me that got me started on a better path.  If he can do it, anyone can make improvements.  Arthur Boorman video

I've lost weight several times before and always gained it back. I did WW, calorie counting, Jillian Michaels workouts, The Firm, and endless cardio on a stationary bike.  The conclusion I've come to in all of this is that ANY exercise program will work.  ANY diet will work.  The "best" one is the one that gets done consistently.  I failed in my previous attempts at weight loss because I was inconsistent with effort and didn't see that I needed to make these changes a permanent lifestyle change. 

The thing about diets is you can't ever go back to eating in the way you did before.  The way I ate prior to March 2021 led to me being 80+ lbs overweight and borderline morbidly obese. I can't go back to that if I want the weight to stay off. I watched my stepmother yo-yo diet for decades. She tried every diet under the sun, including liquid-only diets. She'd drop a ton of weight and go right back to eating exactly the same way that led to her being obese. Surprise! The weight always came back.  

I like DDPY because it feels very accessible.  There is continuous messaging that it's ok to start where you're at and build from there. There are even workouts for people that cannot get out of bed yet.  I know people that have gone from being bed-bound to doing full, "normal" workouts.  It's absolutely possible to improve on where you are at.  All it took to get started was a yoga mat and following the videos on the DDPY app.  $100 bucks and I was set for a year.  DDPY isn't just an exercise routine, though.  He really digs into changing your mindset about fitness and what you can achieve. The mindset change is really key to keeping the weight off. 

Thank you so much for this information. I signed up yesterday and did my first work out today. It does seem doable. I'm currently a size 18 so your story is very encouraging to me!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, importswim said:

Thank you so much for this information. I signed up yesterday and did my first work out today. It does seem doable. I'm currently a size 18 so your story is very encouraging to me!

Yay! I am excited for you! If you need any help or encouragement, please do send me a message! 

If you decide to buy a heart rate monitor, I suggest getting an arm band one, rather than the chest strap. 

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to chime in with my recent experience with intermittent fasting. I eat from 11-7.  I started about 5-6 months ago, and I’ve lost 10 pounds since I started. I didn’t make any changes to what I eat, just when.

I lost 5 pounds before that, by cutting back on caloried drinks (except for morning coffee) and not eating after dinner — at all. I still have the occasional (weekly or 2x/wk) iced tea or iced coffee. 

I have more weight to lose, about 50 pounds at least. Small changes feel sustainable to me. I already exercise regularly. Next small change is to tackle what I’m eating. 

• Like 4

On 9/26/2021 at 5:34 PM, busymama7 said:

I am not a soda drinker but do drink an ACV concoction as well as a lemon drink with tumeric for inflammation etc.  I was thinking it might be easier to wait to eat if I was sipping on one of my drinks.  But I can do the water only and see what happens.  How long until you started losing? @livetoread

I stabilized for about a week and then started losing if I recall correctly. It came off slowly - maybe a pound every two weeks or so.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, Scarlett said:

My friend is always trying to come up with a way to lose weight.  I wonder if she has tried that Noom?  Can someone give me a brief idea of how that works?  

I signed up for it like a year ago and after a while they wanted me to pay money. I think there may have been a way to use certain features for free but it was either too cumbersome or I wasn't using it much so I just stopped. 

Today I tried to start fresh with Noom. I went through what felt like a really log sign-up and then at the end it says they'll give me a 7-day trial but charge me $169 after that. I regret the answer I chose for a question "How much are you willing to spend in your health this year" or whatever. I meant in general, not on Zoom! So I think they thought ok this woman is willing to spend up to $200 on vitamins or whatever, so let's charge her that much for a year subscription... which will be charged as one fee not monthly payments. Oh and they ask how much you are willing to pay for the trial because they must pay their employees... they give you a few choices. Maybe I'm wrong. Here's a screen shot: 

Noom.jpg

Does anyone recommend a pedometer that doesn't have wifi? I don't want to walk around with more EMFs or whatever. The last one I ordered was pure junk and it was too late to return by the time I found a tiny screwdriver to open it up and look inside. It made a rattling sound when I walked from day one and I worried that the rattle was the way it counted steps. I didn't want a noise at all. 

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Does anyone recommend a pedometer that doesn't have wifi? I don't want to walk around with more EMFs or whatever. The last one I ordered was pure junk and it was too late to return by the time I found a tiny screwdriver to open it up and look inside. It made a rattling sound when I walked from day one and I worried that the rattle was the way it counted steps. I didn't want a noise at all. 

Do you already carry a phone?  Maybe there's a pedometer app?

Just now, happi duck said:

Do you already carry a phone?  Maybe there's a pedometer app?

Yeah, I was using the phone a lot for tracking in the past, but I wanted to replace the phone because sometimes it's bulky and/or I don't want to carry it. I do have an armband for it I've used but I don't know where it is. I wouldn't wear my phone when I mowed the yard all the time and I liked to track my steps from that. And when I'm home I don't wear my phone. But that reminds me I need to look at the app and see if it's still tracking steps in the background when I wear it. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, importswim said:

The DDPY looks interesting.. Several of you mentioned to have a folding chair.. Does it need to be folding? Can it be a regular simple  dining table chair...

24 minutes ago, Princess5 said:

The DDPY looks interesting.. Several of you mentioned to have a folding chair.. Does it need to be folding? Can it be a regular simple  dining table chair...

It can be a regular chair. Any chair that is sturdy and comfy for you to use will do. 

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I just bought this one and I really like it.   It seems accurate.  I wear it around my neck and forget that I even have it on.

edit:  sigh.  The link might be helpful.  🤦🏻‍♀️
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWFC62X?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Princess5 said:

It can be any chair. ☺️

So far so good, it seems like it will be relatively easy to keep up with. I'm only hurting a little bit. HA!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, MissLemon said:

I've been doing DDPY for the last 6 months and have lost 42 lbs. I still have another 40 to go before I am at my goal weight and a healthy bmi. I started in a size 18 and am now in a size 8.  I'm peri-menopausal, have Hashimoto's disease and was told it would be "near impossible" for me to lose weight with those strikes against me.  

It's not too late to start improving your health.  This is a video that a boardie showed me that got me started on a better path.  If he can do it, anyone can make improvements.  Arthur Boorman video

I've lost weight several times before and always gained it back. I did WW, calorie counting, Jillian Michaels workouts, The Firm, and endless cardio on a stationary bike.  The conclusion I've come to in all of this is that ANY exercise program will work.  ANY diet will work.  The "best" one is the one that gets done consistently.  I failed in my previous attempts at weight loss because I was inconsistent with effort and didn't see that I needed to make these changes a permanent lifestyle change. 

The thing about diets is you can't ever go back to eating in the way you did before.  The way I ate prior to March 2021 led to me being 80+ lbs overweight and borderline morbidly obese. I can't go back to that if I want the weight to stay off. I watched my stepmother yo-yo diet for decades. She tried every diet under the sun, including liquid-only diets. She'd drop a ton of weight and go right back to eating exactly the same way that led to her being obese. Surprise! The weight always came back.  

I like DDPY because it feels very accessible.  There is continuous messaging that it's ok to start where you're at and build from there. There are even workouts for people that cannot get out of bed yet.  I know people that have gone from being bed-bound to doing full, "normal" workouts.  It's absolutely possible to improve on where you are at.  All it took to get started was a yoga mat and following the videos on the DDPY app.  $100 bucks and I was set for a year.  DDPY isn't just an exercise routine, though.  He really digs into changing your mindset about fitness and what you can achieve. The mindset change is really key to keeping the weight off. 

I think I am going to try this. I need some indoor exercise now that it’s getting colder and darker outside. 

I have diabetes 1.5 (autoimmune - I eat low carb and fairly clean and am not overweight) and Hashimoto’s. My life is mega stressful right now and I need consistent exercise for my mental as well as physical health.

I’d like to lose about 5 lbs, but mostly I’d like to feel better and be more fit.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I think I am going to try this. I need some indoor exercise now that it’s getting colder and darker outside. 

I have diabetes 1.5 (autoimmune - I eat low carb and fairly clean and am not overweight) and Hashimoto’s. My life is mega stressful right now and I need consistent exercise for my mental as well as physical health.

I’d like to lose about 5 lbs, but mostly I’d like to feel better and be more fit.

I really like it. I am surprised at how much I like it, actually! 

And I am down another 9 lbs since I wrote the other post, for a total of 51 lbs gone. 🙂

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 1:00 PM, MissLemon said:

I really like it. I am surprised at how much I like it, actually! 

And I am down another 9 lbs since I wrote the other post, for a total of 51 lbs gone. 🙂

I missed this post.  I know it is a week old but I wanted to say Go You!  That is amazing and I am very happy for you.  

I went to the doctor and had my blood work all checked again.  I think I posted on another thread....anyway, my Vit D is great--67, but my B12 is low.  So I have been taking 10000 units a day for at least 2 weeks---maybe 3.

I talked to the doctor about my weight gain and he said exhaustion is one of the biggest contributors to weight gain.  My body is screaming, 'give me fuel!!!'.....so I eat more than I should.  I can totally get on board with this line of thinking.  I know for a fact I eat more when I have slept poorly the night  before.  

So next step is a sleep study--which I am resisting but dh is making me do it.  I am a mouth breather and I snore some, but not a lot.  He has never told me I stop breathing or anything.....now he is saying  that I have a time or two.  I don't want to call him a liar but I think he just really wants me to have the sleep study.  I told the doctor I do not believe I can wear that mask and he said the sleep study reveals more than just sleep apnea and there are multiple ways to treat whatever it is that I may have (If anything).  So my consult is mid January Which annoys me since I have already met my deductible this year.  Anyway sorry for the book, but I wanted to update.  I hope the rest of y'all are doing better than I am with the struggle.