Menu

Winter coat shopping help…plus size mommas help!

KatieJ

I haven’t had a new winter coat in 18 years. I love it still, but it’s getting old .

I have moved to colder climate and need a new coat.(probably should change my name)

I wear 3xl in clothes but might need a 4xl  in a coat for layering.

I am looking for woool, button front, not a pea coat, but a  little longer…

I think I would look ridiculous in a puffer coat. 

I have chronic pulmonary embolisms which make shopping in stores very difficult, so I am looking online.

Tell me where to look! I am okay with spending what it costs to get a great coat…

Edited by KatieinMich

https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-juniper-ridge-down-parka---plus-size-1956234.html?dwvar_1956234_color=671

It looks like Columbia only goes up to 3x, and I am not seeing their usual full assortment of down parkas, but I am very happy with the Columbia down coat I have purchased with the Omni-Heat liner. I don’t see that particular model in stock right now but this is very similar.

I bought a men’s XXL burton snowboarding jacket in 2003 (back when they only cost $300) and I’ve never had a better winter jacket.  It easily fit me when I was 3x - over sweaters and everything.

For nicer, non-outdoor excursions,  a wool jacket sounds fine, but if you’re going to spend any time outdoors, it may not work to keep you adequately warm.

most women’s coats don’t go over 3x, but You could consider getting a men’s jacket and having it tailored?

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 1

We like lands end for reasonably priced and decent quality winter coats.   I am overweight but got a huge calf length puffer last year for walking outside and it is really toasty without layers.  They may have a couple wool coats.   

but I really like a long wool coat for layering and for driving, errand running.  Definitely more comfortable!  And I’m in Minnesota so I know a cold winter.  But I get it.  I’ve actually gotten some nice oversized wool coats out of men’s in thrift stores!   Maybe you are sensing I don’t really worry about how I look in the winter.  🤣   I’m following this thread for wool coat sources though without breaking the bank.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I have one of the longer LL Bean coats. I'm not in a super cold climate, so I don't know if it would be long enough/warm enough for you.  I have a long wool coat too, but it doesn't fasten in a super useful way.  I'm in TX, but bought the winter coat for staying with relatives in IL. We had a bad freeze last year (highly unusual in this part of TX super cold for super long) and it came in handy for that. 

Things I like about the LL Bean coat - the zipper works from the top and the bottom (so you can unzip from the bottom when you are sitting in the car and then rezip it down when you get out. 

I personally like hoods - even with hats and scarves  - when it is windy. 

I personally love fleece vests to wear all the time in winter as I'm cold natured. Vest in the house, add coat if it is cold enough outside. The vest doesn't restrict my arm movement like a coat with sleeves does but it still keeps my core warm as I'm doing things around the house. 

When DD went to the USA in August 2019 she didn't have any clothes for Winter. I sent her with my OLD L.L. Bean Down Parka, Red color, which had not been used since early in 1997 when I moved  here. That was her start with Winter clothes and shoes/boots/scarves. We live in a Tropical Valley and she knew nothing about clothing or shoes/boots for Winter.

Then near the end of 2019, she bought a new L.L. Bean Down Parka made for women. The quality was not there. After she worse it 2 or 3 times, Down came leaking out of tiny holes in the material.  I told her to send it back for a Refund and to buy another style.

She believes that my old Red Parka which I probably purchased in the early 90s, has far better quality than what she bought in late 2019.    My old Red Parka is now in Germany...

4 minutes ago, Lanny said:

When DD went to the USA in August 2019 she didn't have any clothes for Winter. I sent her with my OLD L.L. Bean Down Parka, Red color, which had not been used since early in 1997 when I moved  here. That was her start with Winter clothes and shoes/boots/scarves. We live in a Tropical Valley and she knew nothing about clothing or shoes/boots for Winter.

Then near the end of 2019, she bought a new L.L. Bean Down Parka made for women. The quality was not there. After she worse it 2 or 3 times, Down came leaking out of tiny holes in the material.  I told her to send it back for a Refund and to buy another style.

She believes that my old Red Parka which I probably purchased in the early 90s, has far better quality than what she bought in late 2019.    My old Red Parka is now in Germany...

You're so funny for thinking where your daughter goes to school is cold!   I get it.  When I moved to NOLA, we were laughing at the locals wearing coats, scarves, and gloves when they went out in 50F winter weather.

23 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

You're so funny for thinking where your daughter goes to school is cold!   I get it.  When I moved to NOLA, we were laughing at the locals wearing coats, scarves, and gloves when they went out in 50F winter weather.

I grew up in Miami, FL, and we would excitedly pull out all of our winter clothes as soon as there was any chill in the area - ski mittens, hats, coats, boots, etc.  So funny!  I went to Ohio for college where I discovered true winter weather!  

• Haha 1

I'd use Lands End - this time of year they have great sales, and just order a couple coats in different sizes (free shipping then).  It is $6.95 to return by mail whichever coat does not fit (Lands End takes the cost of return shipping from your refund).  I know this, as one son has gained weight and needs a new squall jacket. Ordered a XL and 2XL. whichever one fits him this weekend - it is a b'day gift - he keeps. The other will be returned.  You could probably get one of the packable down coats - much less puffy than the old style.  I have one, pretty long since I like to be warm walking the dog in winter. It is XL - I am as big around as I am tall 🙂 so yes, they fit the more "traditionally built". Lands End does also carry wool coats! 

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I have a Land's End coat.  it's heavy and warm for super cold weather.  I also have a fleece coat from them that I use more often where I live.  It's a long fleece which I like better.  The quality was worth the price and I've had both my coats for 7 years already and I can't imagine replacing anytime soon.

I did get a decent light rain coat from Cabela's a few years back but not sure how high their sizing goes

On 9/22/2021 at 11:08 PM, KatieinMich said:

I haven’t had a new winter coat in 18 years. I love it still, but it’s getting old .

I have moved to colder climate and need a new coat.(probably should change my name)

I wear 3xl in clothes but might need a 4xl  in a coat for layering.

I am looking for woool, button front, not a pea coat, but a  little longer…

I think I would look ridiculous in a puffer coat. 

I have chronic pulmonary embolisms which make shopping in stores very difficult, so I am looking online.

Tell me where to look! I am okay with spending what it costs to get a great coat…

I work for a coat designer.  I'm not saying buy from us because these coats are more about fashion than about weathering the tundra that is Michigan winters.  However, you do want to pay attention to the size charts wherever you order.  At our company, we make coats xs-3x. We take the measurements for any particular size and add 3 inches for jackets and 6 inches for coats.  Depending upon how a particular company does it, you could be adding a lot more roominess than you want by just sizing up.

19 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Well, I have lived in this Tropical Valley, for 26 years, where there is very little variation in the temperature. Our lowest temperatures are probably about 60 degrees F. and that's on the coldest days of the year.  "Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 66°F to 85°F and is rarely below 64°F or above 89°F."

• Like 1