Menu

Budding Electronic Engineer? Need help!

Lovin' Life

In connection with the book "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind," our group had a fun party.  One of the activities was to let them tear apart some old electronics to see what they look like on the inside.  We had a dad at the party who was a tech guy, so he could tell us what the things did and how they worked.  My DD12 was absolutely and completely engaged and LOVED it! Who would have guessed!  She didn't want to stop! 

I am wondering if anyone has any fun ideas or other ways for her to start to learn and explore this area to see if she might want to do something in this field as a career.  She is really strong with math, so that is a plus, I would assume.  Any other suggestions?  What should I have her try as far as classes?  Please help!  I am a tech flop!  I am so lost in this area, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I went to public school and starting from about middle school they had all these programs directed toward girls interested in STEM. I wonder if you could ask your local public school if they know of some of these programs local to you. For some I just had to pay for supplies, some were fully sponsored, and some needed payment but had a lot of scholarships available. I did everything from science/math teachers doing fun activities afterschool once a month, to field trips to local businesses, to women in engineering volunteering their time to do a day camp where girls got to do fun projects in different fields and talk about their experience in their field. 

These programs were mostly fun and not super educational, except for the fact that they got me exposed to the fun things I could possibly be doing in different fields. Also exposure to actual women doing "traditionally" men's work and getting their perspectives and learning who they are and who I can be (that they are regular women). The one that stuck with me all these years was a female welder and learning she too liked shopping (I had been told a lot before then that I was too much of a girly girl to be an engineer).

Any way I really enjoyed my career as an electrical engineer. I only stopped because I had two wonderful children that I wanted to stay home with.

Sounds like my DS10, who  read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind at least five times! 
We have engaged him with Snap Circuits and classes over at Quick Study Labs - highly recommended. 

(On his own, he took apart his bicycle, and watched Jared Owens videos. After listening to The Bobiverse Books, he decided he was going to be an engineer!)

LINKS:
http://quickstudylabs.com/

https://www.audible.com/pd/We-Are-Legion-We-Are-Bob-Audiobook/B01L082HJ2?qid=1632410422&sr=1-3&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_3&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=0DC70NBKYQJSR76ESX2V

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbsfyGlrjrKQC0gbzK0-EiA

• Like 1

For some cheap reading, you might try all the David Macaulay books. They aren't all about architecture like "Pyramid" and "Castle" -- he opens up and explains lots of systems, such as "Underground" and "The Way Things Work Now" which is often cited by engineers as one of the books that got them started on that path as kids. I say "cheap" because his books are usually available through most libraries.

• Like 1

My oldest is finishing up his electrical engineering degree.  JIC you wanted to know what that looks like--lots of calculus, physics, chemistry (with labs) and circuits make up most of his university coursework besides the generic requirements.

For my 12 yo, who is similarly interested, we've watched a bunch of videos like this one: 

and we've just followed whatever has sparked her from that.  She may be headed more towards computer engineering, so she's learning Java right now.

If she doesn't yet have any programming experience I'd get her on Scratch and ditto on the suggestions for snap circuits.  Academically, if she is already strong in math I would look for a good a good Logic curriculum to start her in.  The Macaulay books are really great and might provide some topics of interest to look for projects/kits to do.

Our recycle yard has a lean-to where people can leave small appliances for others to take.  If there's something like that available near you maybe you can find some interesting things for her to take apart 🙂

That is my 11yo ds's area of interest.  He started off with Snap Circuits, Scratch programming, and LEGO Mindstorms in elementary school.  He's been programming in Python and using breadboards and other "real" electronics equipment for about 2 years now.  I know one thing he used to get started was the Arduino Project Handbook series.  Sometimes he does projects following instructions in his books and other times he makes up his own projects.  He and his brothers also take apart various things, like their old broken remote controlled cars and a kid sized gator, and fix them.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, Foofaraw said:

I haven’t used this myself, but it looks great: https://sabbathmoodhomeschool.com/downloads/electronics-study-guide-form-3-4-grades-7-9/

You could just get the spine book and let her explore independently of course.

This book looks really good.  My kids learn really well with this kind of book.  It looks like an easier first step compared to what my ds used.  (The first Arduino book was actually a present from a relative for his older brother, but he is the one who took the book, bought a kit on Amazon, and built many of the projects).

• Like 1