Menu

Southlake podcast

Sneezyone

Reporting is reporting, right, it always has a slant. I’m not really interested in debating the small bits of commentary but discussing the actual audio from the adults involved, particularly, the school principal. Regardless of what is going on in the community, his job is to oversee the education and well being of all of the students and it’s clear his own slant is interfering with that task. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE LISTENED/are listening, what is your take?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I have seriously contemplated stopping this podcast.  It is just another hopeless situation that *I* can do nothing about that is contributing to my daily anxiety.  At the risk of stepping too close to the politics line, this is EXACTLY what I worried about after the 2016 election results were tallied.  I was so hoping to be wrong.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I've been listening and I was appalled by the principal's slant.  The conversation with "M" was handled very poorly and I really do not understand why the parents were not invited to the conversation.

Same. My own child had a similar experience after being accused of theft in MS..which was untrue... but I digress. It was after that that we started regularly emphasizing our NO TALKING WITHOUT Mom/Dad/Attorney rule. Two adults talking to a child, without a parent, suggesting a pre-determined narrative. The pressure kids are under to just agree and move things along is so intense.

Edited by Sneezyone

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

I have seriously contemplated stopping this podcast.  It is just another hopeless situation that *I* can do nothing about that is contributing to my daily anxiety.  At the risk of stepping too close to the politics line, this is EXACTLY what I worried about after the 2016 election results were tallied.  I was so hoping to be wrong.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to trigger anyone. While I think this podcast is indicative of some larger trends, I'm mostly horrified by the impact on kids caught in the crossfire. So many of the kids are impressive.

Just now, Sneezyone said:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to trigger anyone. While I think this podcast is indicative of some larger trends, I'm mostly horrified by the impact on kids caught in the crossfire. So many of the kids are impressive.

No trigger.  I chose to listen to it.  It just makes me feel so hopeless.  It's important to know this is going on.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

What upset me most about the latest episode was that "M" felt the need to apologize for being upset.  To make others, ADULTS whose job it is to help her, feel OK when she was so obviously with 100% proof bullied.

Yep. All of that. Seriously enraging. It just made me fume about how many other kids that is happening to/has happened to.

Edited by Sneezyone

3 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I just listened to the first episode. It was painful. 

First, I need to tell DD that she's not to talk to anyone in authority without DH or me present. 

Second, while painful none of this is surprising to me after watching the CRT debate play out this summer. It was always disingenuous astro-turfing. I'm listening to the 2nd episode now and the litany of parents addressing the school board about "Critical Race Theory," which they'd never heard about before hearing it on Fox. 

We had a 60 page discussion about this. Where are all of the people with opinions about this issue now that no one is talking about CRT anymore? There's any responsibility for these kinds of media panic because it's always on to the panic. Why no grappling with the consequences of the laws passed in response to the moral panic? We were told that "cancel culture" was a terrible thing that is destroying our schools. Okay, so why not talk about how a principal has now been fired? But they've moved on to something else. It happens over and over again. "I'm a liberal but..." I read all of these right-wing news source and share their concerns about [whatever]. "I don't support these laws but..." 

Okay, put your money where your mouth is. Be outraged about a principal fired for nothing, i.e. "cancelled." 

The bigger issue to me (rage du jour issues will happen) is the way the turfers leapt over the substantiated harm done to 500 kids in the district (their stories were read into the record) to prioritize a perception of risk/concern that hadn’t manifested in any real way. It’s the kids that they’re hurting. Multiply that over a whole bunch of suburban districts. I cannot imagine what kind of world they think they’re creating long-term but those resentments are likely to linger. Short term gain, long term pain.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...