Menu

Putting a dog down

DawnM

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

If you have put a dog down, did you stay with the dog?   How was it?   Did they put the dog to sleep first?

Please stay with your dog.  If you're not there, they look for you.  I really regret not shelling out for a home euthanasia for my cat of my heart, because I hate that the last thing I did with her was take her somewhere she hated and was scared.  But I am so, so glad I was there holding her.  

Please stay.  

• Like 4

Just now, Terabith said:

Please stay with your dog.  If you're not there, they look for you.  I really regret not shelling out for a home euthanasia for my cat of my heart, because I hate that the last thing I did with her was take her somewhere she hated and was scared.  But I am so, so glad I was there holding her.  

Please stay.  

I hadn't planned to leave, I guess I didn't communicate that clearly.  I was just asking what the process was like for some of you who have done it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I hadn't planned to leave, I guess I didn't communicate that clearly.  I was just asking what the process was like for some of you who have done it.

I haven't done it with a dog, but I have done a cat.  I took her in.  I talked to the vet, and we decided it was time.  They gave her a sedation shot while she was on my lap and then when I was ready, they gave the euthanasia shot.  It was peaceful.  I just wish we'd done it at home and not the vet.  I'm not sure it would make as much difference for a dog that isn't scared of leaving home/ the vet's office.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I plan to stay.   We did put down one other dog and I couldn't do it, and DH said he would and then he dropped the dog off and said, "I just couldn't do it" I cried and cried and was sick about our poor dog being put down with no one there with him.   I won't do that to this dog.

Are they letting people in right now for euthanizing?   I know our Vet isn't letting anyone in for appointments.....I hope they will let me in.

An intermediate option that works best for many people is to stay while they give the first shot, that sedates the dog. Pet them and love on them until they fall asleep. Then you can feel free to leave before the second shot, if you need to. That way your last memory of them is asleep and peaceful but alive. At that point, they are feeling no pain, and not with it enough to worry about you being gone. It saves you being there for the very end, but allows the dog to have you with them while they know what is going on. 

Many vets will do this if you ask, some will suggest it. We always explained the process, then gave options of not being there at all, being there for the first shot only, or being there for the whole thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will say, we did love on the dogs and cats whose owners couldn't bring themselves to stay. I have vivid memories of feeding one such dog french fries from the vet's lunch while we waited for that first shot to kick in. That little chow hound passed away with a fry half out of his mouth 🙂

• Like 7

You might want to ask the vet if they do clay paw prints. A friend suggested that to me when I lost my little Bella, and I was very glad that we ordered them — each of my kids wanted one, so we got three. DD put hers in a shadow box with Bella's collar and some photos, and I hang mine on the Christmas tree every year. If there's somewhere close by that sells kits, you could always do it yourself before you take her in, but we didn't have time for that so I just ordered them and the vet tech did them after she had passed. I picked them up a few days later.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 12.14.22 PM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I made an appt for 4:45 tomorrow afternoon.  Wish me luck.

Praying for you and your dog! The waiting is just awful. Tonight will be a long night, I'm sure. 😢 Once you get there, the actual process is very peaceful and hopefully you will be able to hold your dog the whole time. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

You might want to ask the vet if they do clay paw prints. A friend suggested that to me when I lost my little Bella, and I was very glad that we ordered them — each of my kids wanted one, so we got three. DD put hers in a shadow box with Bella's collar and some photos, and I hang mine on the Christmas tree every year. If there's somewhere close by that sells kits, you could always do it yourself before you take her in, but we didn't have time for that so I just ordered them and the vet tech did them after she had passed. I picked them up a few days later.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 12.14.22 PM.png

The funeral home that did our cat’s cremation did these, along with paw prints and tufts of his fur.  It’s pretty cute- the little box hinges open to show the impression, and it has a tuft of fur and his photo (we supplied that digitally). A nice, small reminder for our kids who had 20 years with the cat. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

If you have put a dog down, did you stay with the dog?   How was it?   Did they put the dog to sleep first?

Yes, our vet has a special room.  We sat in the floor with our precious Maggie and they gave her a shot that put her to sleep before the final shot that was the end.  I wanted to be with her.  My son drove me and his dad (my XH) met us there.  XH did not want her cremated, he took her home and buried her at the back of his property where she lived as a puppy.

• Like 1

We stayed with her in the room. Being at the vets never made her very nervous. She wasn’t feeling good, we were really close to the end anyway, so the first shot was really negligible. She just relaxed and her breathing slowed down until it stopped. They did lay/wrap her in a towel because she relaxed and peed. I was very surprised how relaxed it was. It was such a relief.  

• Like 1

My and all my kids and oldest's girlfriend (whom he married) went with us when we took our beloved Kitty in. The vet had to talk to dd because she was very upset and wasn't handling it well at all.  They gave her the first shot and I was holding her and everyone was loving on her as she drifted off....then they left and I held her until the end. When she had passed I bailed, left everything, her towel and cat carrier and didn't say a word. My kids were falling apart in the parking lot.... We have some keepsakes and tons of pics. 

Prayers being said for y'all.