Menu

Eczema

Romy (6 months) has eczema. It was just a small red spot on one cheek until it got so cold and dry. Now her entire chin and cheek, as well as behind her knees are involved. I've used Eucerin tonight, but I'm wondering what you've done that has yielded good results.

We already use Seventh Generation laundry detergent, but I have also been using the Method dryer sheets - probably not as bad as Bounce, but still.

She hasn't seemed to react to foods much, her last new food was green beans, first introduced about 5 days ago. I do eat a fair amount of cashews, but not peanuts so much. I don't eat a lot of dairy, only occasional cheese, and no soy. Nothing in my diet has really changed recently, though yesterday I had crab bisque (Mmmmm).

Thoughts on causes, treatments?

I just read about this last night in a baby magazine :)

Bathe only in lukewarm water and afterward, use a mild cream while her skin is still a bit damp.

If the baby is diagnosed with it, the doctor will prescribe a cortisone cream.

Also, Desitin came out with a new clear diaper rash and skin protectant ointment.. It says it helps soothes chapped, drooly chins and softens dry spot. Can also be used on hands and elbows.

HTH

But it's not published yet, so you guys are reading it first :)

We have a darling girl in our home whom we once dubbed "Crabby Abby". Oh my. I'd never had nor been around a grumpier, more unhappy baby in my life. She cried for the first 15 months of her life, until we finally could put our finger on the source of the problem-- painful eczema caused by allergies to citrus and eggs.

The hardest thing for me to learn in regards to eczema is that it doesn't have a cure. One of the first people I spoke to told me wisely, "You'll never beat it, you just have to learn to manage it." Once I came to grips with that fact, I set to work trying to make Abby's life as comfortable as possible.

First, the allergies. I wanted to get to the root of the problem rather than just slap some steroids onto her skin. She was a baby, after all, and I knew there had to be a better way. We took her to an allergist who pin-pointed the trouble-makers as citrus and eggs. We immediately eliminated all sources of citrus in her diet, including citric acid which is a preservative used in just. about. everything. It wasn't easy. When she was around five years old, she announced that she wanted to eat eggs and so we told her she could, but that she had to realize what the consequences might be. That really was a turning point in her care because she took the reigns and has nicely managed it on her own ever since.

In addition to eliminating and now allowing her to choose when and if to eat the foods that tend to cause her to flare up, we've made a few other changes. She sleeps with a humidifier going all winter long, because the cold, dry weather exacerbates the issue. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in the water to keep the humidifier sanitized, too.

We used pure coconut oil for several years on her patches of eczema, but this past year we've used Miracle Skin Salve exclusively. The coconut oil was soothing but the Miracle Skin Salve not only soothes, it heals. Amazing. We passed some on to my mother-in-law who has suffered from eczema for 75 years and she has raved about it, too.

We can't use regular laundry soap, so we use Charlie's Soap. All natural, no dyes or perfumes, and extremely economical. No fabric softeners, either-- we put vinegar in the washer's spin basket and not only does it soften, but it doesn't leave a scent at all.

Lastly, we try very hard to limit the time Abby is in hot water, and we don't use soap. The combination of the two sends her into scratching fits that can be heard down the hall from her bedroom. Again, she manages this and aside from a gentle reminder every once in awhile from me, I really don't tell her how long she should bathe or how hot the water should be. It looks as if eczema will always be a part of her life, and the better she becomes at managing it herself, the easier it will be to live with.

Okay, so cheese off the list (I already do all organic dairy), cashews off the list. No more crab bisque. Boo hoo.

Lukewarm baths, good lotion afterwards. Humidifier in her room (good idea on the tea tree oil!).

We see the doc for her 6 month check up tomorrow. I hope he'll have some good input.

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming if you have experience in this area.

Not sure if you have access to raw cheese, but I nursed and ate and drank raw dairy without triggering eczema in my susceptible nursling. She and her older sibs are instantly affected with regular dairy (minus yogurt), even pasturized organic. But they all can do raw milk without a problem.

And raw cheddar is sooo yummy. Ahh. Glory. I so miss my Amish farm family in PA.

Standard disclaimers apply, do your own research, find your own comfort level, not a doctor, not an epidemiologist, yada yada.

However, I have posted the VERY FIRST raw milk post on the new boards. Ha!

I don't think I do. I'll send the word out that I'm looking, though really, I can live without cheese if I need to. I don't really use any other dairy, so no biggie there. The kids drink a glass of milk every day, I might eat some cottage cheese if I think of it, but I can't remember the last time that was.

I like cashews a lot, but I'll put 'em on the backburner. Otherwise the only real big issue would be wheat. I am so not prepared to go there.

Congratulations on your raw milk post, Alphabet Pam. It's and impressive accomplishment!

Thanks so much! We're pretty hearty stock around here. I can't think of a single person on my side of the family or Bud's that has a food allergy of any kind.

Anyway, the fact that it got so much worse today with the cold weather makes me hopeful that it will be manageable by keeping it moisturized, and I can work on the diet thing bit by bit.

I'll contact you if I have questions, which is probably a definite I will contact you. I appreciate your willingness to help!

I have had eczema for years. I used to use a cortisone cream until my doctor friend said don't go near the stuff. It really isn't a cure anyway although it does work like magic for a while.

I have tried all sorts of creams. I would say the best thing you can do, in my experience, is to bathe the area in plain water (nothing else) and cover with either Neutrogena hand cream, Weleda baby weather protection cream (expensive but the best thins on the market in my experience) or petroleum jelly. Anything else I have tried makes it worse.

I no longer have dairy and I haven't had any problems since then. It may just be my age (35) but I have had this since I was eight.

By the way, it is very common for it to clear up after babyhood. It did for my son. I am very glad I didn't resort to cortisone for him. It is certainly something that changes with age.

Best wishes,

Lorna

We have had success using Cetaphyl instead of baby bath products. Equate, the Wal-mart equivalent, works just as well and is a lot cheaper. Also, I've heard a few friends rave about Arbonne's baby care line for treatment. However, it is somewhat costly baby bath and can only be purchased through a distributor. Hope you're able to find something that works for your baby.

Since your little one's has suddenly flared up during the winter, it is possibly not what you are eating but the molds, mildews, and dust mites. The cold really dries out the skin in the winter too.

What to do. Bathe her as little as possible. The cheeks you have to be really careful with. They are washed a whole lot more than the rest of the body, especially if she is eating any solids and is messy! No soap. Glycerin and oatmeal based cleansers are fine. (Oatmeal is best.) Immediately after washing slather that baby in a good moisturizing cream. You have had several good ones suggested. The doctor is likely to prescribe a steroid cream. The hard fact at our house was that it was the only thing that would make the rash go away.

My dd had eczema that she outgrew. She said shortening used topically soothed it more than anything.

She was reacting to tree nuts. When we took them away from her (we couldn't even have them in the house because if someone handled them and left the oils on faucets or doorknobs, she reacted) her eczema cleared. We could not use lotions or shampoos, either, that had nut oils in them.

We read that tree nuts were a leading cause in children's eczema. It's just a thought--

Sawyer (almost 7 mos) also has eczema, and I had absolutely NO clue that it could have something to do with food allergies. His is mainly on his legs. They are circular or oval patches with the skin slightly raised and a little red. I have noticed that they sometimes appear more red. At first I thought he had ringworm! When I showed the doctor and she diagnosed eczema she didn't mention anything about food. As a baby I had an allergy to cow's milk. Do I need to try drinking soy milk or what should I do?

For now I guess I will just watch to see when he reacts to anything.

Thanks, Amy, for starting this thread.

Dawn

I haven't read everyone's replies...

When my youngest developed eczema, our pediatrician sent him for a blood test for allergies. The result came back showing that he is allergic to eggs and dairy. When I cut those things out of my diet (nursing), the eczema went away.

Before the eczema went completely away, we used Vanicream (which I ordered from Amazon) on the troubled areas with great results. In fact the vanicream worked so well that the doctor was just going on my description of how bad the eczema was in ordering the blood test.

Sorry for the panic...okay, I've gone back and more closely read everyone's advice to Amy. I will try cutting dairy out and see if that helps. Oh, how I will miss eggs. Unfortunately I have no known access to raw dairy, not even totally sure what that is, :) but will research it further. Oh, my, a new adventure.

First of all, we use NO soap on the boy's skin, ever. Soap, any soap = itchiness the next day. We also use hypoallergenic laundry soap. We have to be very careful about hot water and cold water, any extreme can trigger it.

He can't wear polyester fleece or really anything but cotton to sleep in or he gets too hot and will have an outbreak.

I have eczema on my hands pretty. Oranges and tomatoes are my main triggers and soap from washing my hands in the winter. I am always on the edge of broken skin.

as well as 100% cotton. Babies are especially hard to treat, and seem to be ultra sensitive once it starts. Using only sensitive skin products and cotton was what finally offered my little guy relief. This included soap, shampoo, wipes, laundry detergent, NO softener or dryer sheet, and cotton clothing, bedding etc.

Be cautious when introducing new foods. Our ped. rec. waiting as long as possible. My ds is now 11 his sensitivity is much less now.

I hope your little one finds some relief. Poor baby.

I agree with all the advice (been there done that with my ds10 - who I had to take off all solids at 6 mo. and nurse exclusively because he would writhe in pain from the eczema). Am now doing an elimination diet with dd6 who wasn't as bad (and so I wasn't as diligent). The only thing I would add is the name of a homeopathic cream for eczema that has helped: "Florasone Cream" - made with cardiospermum.

Before the eczema went completely away, we used Vanicream (which I ordered from Amazon) on the troubled areas with great results. In fact the vanicream worked so well that the doctor was just going on my description of how bad the eczema was in ordering the blood test.

Thanks, Melissa! I ordered some.