Menu

Do you think nuts that have an off flavor are ok for wild animals?

Tap

I found a bag of walnuts in my pantry that aren’t rancid but don’t taste good either. Just at that midway point. Do u think it would be ok to put out for squirrels and what ever else wanders by?

I stopped feeding birds due to viruses but still have a yard full of squirrels (and birds). Walnuts are everywhere here so it is a locality available food item. Any harm in seeing if they want them? 

I don't know for sure if it is OK to feed it to them. I dug out an old bag of walnuts and another bag of almonds (costco sized, bought when there was a family crisis and then forgotten for 3 years) and not wanting to waste them, I put them inside my compost pile. Needless to say, the raccoons and the squirrels are going nuts (pun intended) over my compost pile, digging it in a frenzy and competing for the nuts. They have been at it for a few days and look healthy and happy. So, no harm in giving it to them is my conclusion based on my observations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm sure the squirrels will be fine. Just be careful to put it out a bit distant from your home - they're not *quite* as clever as raccoons, but you still don't want them thinking they should enter your house to get the good stuff!

LOL. I actually planned to take them to the wetlands at the end of my neighborhood (apx 1/4 mile away) so they don't think my house is a free buffet! 

We have had problems with squirrels in the past, so I don't want to encourage them any more than I need to. 🙂 But, I also hate to waste food, when a creature is happy to have it. I don't think my compost would get hot enough to break it down this close to fall,  or else I would toss it in there.