Menu

What to do with bright 1st grader

Dianthus

Did a reading assessment yesterday and he is reading expressively at 110 wpm and answered all comprehension questions correctly. He is also very quick at math. Problem is I have little time for him after working with older kids and baby and I worry he's not challenged. He does maybe 2 hrs of school a day. LOE D, Abeka worksheets+ RS math exercises, Memoria enrichment + recitation, Mystery Science and Spanish. Violin practice for 20 -30 min daily. We are no longer doing SOTW as a family and I have only read 1 chapter of CHOTW. I just don't have time.  I guess I could put in the SOTW audio while he plays, didn't think about that. He plays by himself with legos or blocks or does puzzles or playdough.  I just feel like I'm not doing enough when he's so bright. 

7 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Did a reading assessment yesterday and he is reading expressively at 110 wpm and answered all comprehension questions correctly. He is also very quick at math. Problem is I have little time for him after working with older kids and baby and I worry he's not challenged. He does maybe 2 hrs of school a day. LOE D, Abeka worksheets+ RS math exercises, Memoria enrichment + recitation, Mystery Science and Spanish. Violin practice for 20 -30 min daily. We are no longer doing SOTW as a family and I have only read 1 chapter of CHOTW. I just don't have time.  I guess I could put in the SOTW audio while he plays, didn't think about that. He plays by himself with legos or blocks or does puzzles or playdough.  I just feel like I'm not doing enough when he's so bright. 

As long as the work he is doing is at the appropriate level for him, I wouldn’t see any reason to be doing more than two hours with a very bright 1st grader. I found one of the benefits of my kids being bright was that they could get all the academics they needed in a pretty short time each day, leaving most of their day for creative play and exploration, which I felt was super beneficial for them. I’m not familiar with most of the specific programs you’re using, so I can’t speak to whether there’s something different I would use, but if those seem to be working, the main thing I would look to do would be to make sure he’s getting some high-quality read aloud time. If it has to be audiobooks, that would be a start. Are the Abeka worksheets part of his math, or something else? I was just looking through your list for something that perhaps you could substitute with reading aloud instead. with a good reader, I’d be inclined to replace mystery science with a read aloud time and then make sure you provide a book basket of science and history books at his level that he can read to himself. We make heavy, heavy use of the library for filling our book basket every week for a family of voracious readers. 

• Like 4

Hi there!

You may get more results if you post in the accelerated board.  I would have to say that for math Beast Academy (elementary books from the Art of Problem Solving) is very challenging.  I will say I didn't care for level 2 too much.  At least not the first 2 books. 

I would have him listen to a ton of audio books while he plays with his legos. 

I think what you have for him is good as well. 

I think we all feel that way sometimes. 

If he's into chemistry, he may like Biochemistry literacy for kids.  It's online.  My son loves it.  There are young kids in his classes too. 

Hope this helps.

Yes @ScoutTN

I fully grasp the desire to not let a gifted kid "slip" or press them to excel (I've been there, done that). I just can't emphasize it enough, I've seen so many moms press their kids to more school and it kills the joy completely. If he is bright, let him work ahead of pace where necessary but let him explore what he wants to do with that extra time. Maybe he wants to look at simple coding on kahn academy? or learn to paint?  Whatever sparks joy for him, he will learn so much more this way and still enjoy his childhood.  I'm not saying this as a nay-saying mom who is down on gifted kids. I have three gifted kids. All who have received wonderful opportunities so far and one who went to Duke on a full ride scholarship. We didn't sit at a table and do mounds of school work every day. She did a lot of reading and exploring what she loved, which at that age was art (funny, she was a bio major). 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Spirea said:

I wouldn't do another thing.  I have multiple gifted children, and, no, doing less does not hold them back.  My kids only spent about an hr to an hr and half in 1st grade.  (We didn't do preschool academics.  I don't do summer academics. ) I have a had kids graduating from high school taking 300/400 level math/physics courses.  My current 6th grader is taking alg 1 (using Foerster's textbook).  Working longer/harder is not an approach I take. Letting them work at their level of ability and just be kids the rest of the time has worked very well for our family.  

• Like 8

On 9/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, Spirea said:

I just feel like I'm not doing enough when he's so bright. 

Your mix sounds FINE and like it's satisfying his formal academic itch adequately. At this point you just facilitate. People asked about his interests, and this is spot on. He needs room for creativity and exploration, time to read and try things, time to fight with his siblings and learn conflict resolution, time to learn how to solve his boredom. You can facilitate (by having interesting things available), but you don't need to do formally more than that. 

Is he expressing boredom or angst? Does HE want more? 

audiobooks

puzzles

kits

supplies/raw materials to do things he likes to do

This stage is over so, so quickly. Don't rush him out of it.

Mystery Science he does on his own or a sibling sits with him... ugh it's just watching the lessons. I just don't have time to do more with him.  I feel like I'm barely hanging on and always behind with everyone. We are keeping up but just barely.  I'm about a month in with big change to mostly MP for the older 2. It didn't streamline my day and I'm still having difficulty with it. 

I have been calling him to read aloud to me when I'm doing laundry or dishes or other chores.  

Yesterday, I started him on exercises in Drawing with Children.  He was excited with that, so I'll keep with that while he is interested.  I just feel badly when he sits in his bedroom by himself much of the day while we are all doing school. 😕

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Yesterday, I started him on exercises in Drawing with Children.  He was excited with that, so I'll keep with that while he is interested.  I just feel badly when he sits in his bedroom by himself much of the day while we are all doing school. 😕

Can he be more involved in his siblings' lessons somehow, maybe? 

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Can he be more involved in his siblings' lessons somehow, maybe? 

So older ds will read to him his Greek Myths.  He listens to bird songs from dd science.  He does walk through and gets bits and snippets of various subjects,, but each of olders has more independent work this year, so it's more of me managing than teaching. He also plays with the baby so he isn't completely isolated. I did read him another chapter of CHOTW, so maybe I can get consistent with that.  I just feel stretched so thin.

Edited by Spirea
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Spirea said:

So older ds will read to him his Greek Myths.  He listens to bird songs from dd science.  He does walk through and gets bits and snippets of various subjects,, but each of olders has more independent work this year, so it's more of me managing than teaching. He also plays with the baby so he isn't completely isolated. I did read him another chapter of CHOTW, so maybe I can get consistent with that.  I just feel stretched so thin.

I'm sorry 😞 . That sounds hard. I hope some other people with more kids can chime in -- I only have 2. 

Why is he in his room?  Cannot he not play quietly in the main living area with Legos or some other type of quiet play? 

I don't do any type of formal  science reading with my kids until they are in 3rd grade.  They read things on their own for fun, watched Magic School Bus or documentaries that they wanted to.  But, my doing "science" as a subject with them? No.  I still have a chemE, a ds who has a BS in physics and went to graduate school for physics, and a college sophomore majoring in atmospheric science.  There is absolutely NOTHING they are missing in 1st grade.  Taking walks and learning to observe differences around them.....that is a much more important skill than content in a science curriculum.

• Like 1

I had a gifted first grader last year doing regular first grade curriculum at school. I made sure she had a steady supply of books to read, plus audiobooks and art supplies.  She’s fine.

We go though so many books.  Picture books, science books, joke books, middle school graphic novels, captain underpants, Harry Potter.  Anything and everything aimed at ages 4-12… I try to throw some quality in there, but it’s really quantity that she wants.  And that’s okay. 

What would fill your kid’s bucket?  

Edited by Lawyer&Mom

We do keep our library basket full. Legos are in his room which is why he stays there.  I can't have legos in main living area with 10 mo baby.  Only blocks and library basket in living area.  And chess set.  I don't have a huge house and like to keep it tidy so I really can't have more in living area if I want to maintain my sanity. 

8 hours ago, Spirea said:

Mystery Science he does on his own or a sibling sits with him... ugh it's just watching the lessons. I just don't have time to do more with him.  I feel like I'm barely hanging on and always behind with everyone.

I've done lessons with my kid (younger) in science both hands-on experiment and just watch a video. In my opinion at this age bracket (K-2) it feels like the retention and the things they are getting out of it is about the same. In fact sometimes when I do an "elaborate" science experiment all he remembers is making a mess or something not science related. Whereas the science videos usually repeat some scientific statement and the kids remember those facts much better. I just ask my kids after the video or at dinner time What happened or What did you learn in the XYZ video.

Don't let Pinterest guilt you into always hands-on science. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I've done lessons with my kid (younger) in science both hands-on experiment and just watch a video. In my opinion at this age bracket (K-2) it feels like the retention and the things they are getting out of it is about the same. In fact sometimes when I do an "elaborate" science experiment all he remembers is making a mess or something not science related. Whereas the science videos usually repeat some scientific statement and the kids remember those facts much better. I just ask my kids after the video or at dinner time What happened or What did you learn in the XYZ video.

Don't let Pinterest guilt you into always hands-on science. 

I guess I feel guilty because I'm not doing things with him that I did do with the other kids.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I guess I feel guilty because I'm not doing things with him that I did do with the other kids.

I get that. 

Could you do something special with him that'll make you feel better? Because honestly, I don't think the other things are super important. But you feeling like you're not doing enough for him is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I get that. 

Could you do something special with him that'll make you feel better? Because honestly, I don't think the other things are super important. But you feeling like you're not doing enough for him is. 

He is really liking the past 2 days doing Drawing with Children.  He told his Spanish teacher last week that he can't draw and he seems so eager to use the book.  I will try to keep that up.  I bought MP's book of crafts that correspond to their enrichment literature. Most of the crafts don't look exciting to me but I'll try to do some with him.  I am going to do the cave drawing from SOTW to go along with his CHOTW.   Hmm, maybe I should get out the old activity guide for more of those ideas.  I truly hate crafts, but he loves them, of course.  Maybe if I can keep that up, I can feel better about it all.

I feel better after reading responses.  He probably is doing enough and I shouldn't punish him for being bright. Thank you.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Spirea said:

We do keep our library basket full. Legos are in his room which is why he stays there.  I can't have legos in main living area with 10 mo baby.  Only blocks and library basket in living area.  And chess set.  I don't have a huge house and like to keep it tidy so I really can't have more in living area if I want to maintain my sanity. 

Does he enjoy being in his room alone or does he have to be told to stay in there?  Even if he is happy in there, that is less concerning  But, if he is lonely and feels isolated and just wants to feel like he is part of the bigger picture, I would really try to find a way to make him feel less isolated. Spending his day alone in his bedroom would not be a scenario I would want my little kids to have all the time.  Odd days, sure, but not "he sits in his bedroom by himself much of the day while we are all doing school. 😕"

I have done a lot of different things over the yrs to cope with babies/toddlers/young school age kids/ and school time.  Do you have a hallway where you could put a baby gate and let him play in the hall with Legos on a blanket (easy clean up)?  Put the baby in a gated play area and let him play on the other side?  Create a small area that is his space for during the day and block it off from the baby and create a storage system that allows for clean-up that meets your needs (containers/rolling cart/something that could be moved to his bedroom).

3 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Does he enjoy being in his room alone or does he have to be told to stay in there?  Even if he is happy in there, that is less concerning  But, if he is lonely and feels isolated and just wants to feel like he is part of the bigger picture, I would really try to find a way to make him feel less isolated. Spending his day alone in his bedroom would not be a scenario I would want my little kids to have all the time.  Odd days, sure, but not "he sits in his bedroom by himself much of the day while we are all doing school. 😕"

I have done a lot of different things over the yrs to cope with babies/toddlers/young school age kids/ and school time.  Do you have a hallway where you could put a baby gate and let him play in the hall with Legos on a blanket (easy clean up)?  Put the baby in a gated play area and let him play on the other side?  Create a small area that is his space for during the day and block it off from the baby and create a storage system that allows for clean-up that meets your needs (containers/rolling cart/something that could be moved to his bedroom).

He is not unhappy. He is not told to stay in his room.  He does not ask for more schoolwork.  I actually have to call him out when he needs to get school done, and practically drag him out for violin practice. Oh, and I have to keep getting my runaway 9 yr old who departs the kitchen table to join in the lego fun when I am working with older dd or baby! 

I have to make a rule that legos do not leave their room.  They do break the rule, to bring something built out to show off, but I cannot have lego building out here because the legos go everywhere, no matter what containment precautions are used.  Baby does have a large gated area.

Actually, I'm OK with things now.  I can tweak a little to add some fun stuff for him, but he is ok. Thank you all.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, Spirea said:

He is not unhappy. He is not told to stay in his room.  He does not ask for more schoolwork.  I actually have to call him out when he needs to get school done, and practically drag him out for violin practice. Oh, and I have to keep getting my runaway 9 yr old who departs the kitchen table to join in the lego fun when I am working with older dd or baby! 

I have to make a rule that legos do not leave their room.  They do break the rule, to bring something built out to show off, but I cannot have lego building out here because the legos go everywhere, no matter what containment precautions are used.  Baby does have a large gated area.

Actually, I'm OK with things now.  I can tweak a little to add some fun stuff for him, but he is ok. Thank you all.

I just realized I quoted the wrong one. That's ok, you know what I mean 😉 

Take a deep breath. I know it is hard. I've been in your shoes, I really have. I can promise you, he will be ok ❤️  Having younger kids and homeschooling is a difficult thing to accomplish and in my experience we give a lot of grace to everyone but ourselves. I was totally overwhelmed when my kids were little, I faced some health issues, we made a move into a house that needed a TON of work. DD didn't touch official science until  6th grade and in general we didn't plan to do science or history until at least 3rd grade. She read library books that she picked and some had a science bent from topics that interested her after watching magic schools or something she read in another book that she became curious about. Up until 2nd we focused on reading, math, writing, and playing games, her own art, etc. I didn't plan to hold her off from science until 6th grade, it just sort of happened. That same girl is the one who graduated with distinction with a Bio degree from Duke.  I do not say this to brag, I say it to encourage you to not feel guilty, don't beat yourself up. He will be fine ❤️ 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

On 9/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, Spirea said:

We have Legos in the dining room, Legos in the media room, Legos in the bedrooms, legos in the living room, legos on the stairs.......

<sigh> I completely get you limiting the space! At this point though, we have reduced where legos can be. But it is a work in progress. I am quite impressed you have managed to keep it to the bedroom!

I agree with everyone else but thought I'd add this. Does he like to play chess? My kids spent a long time making chess sets out of legos, with time spent figuring out which figurines were best. They made Star Wars chess, along with other little groupings of their pieces. I've never learned chess, but they had a blast doing it.