Menu

We put an offer in on a house!

ktgrok

Oh, and did I mention that they needed 2019 W2 forms, which should have been in the safe in the garage. Except DH comes back inside and says not only are they not there, but NONE of the tax information since 2014 is in there! 

I do our taxes, put all the stuff in a big manilla envelope, write "Taxes" with the year on the front, and give them to him to put in the safe. 

I said "they are in an envelope" and he said, "maybe?" Brought me a stack of envelopes to put the taxes in when I "find" them. 

Y'all, they were in the envelopes, all stacked in one of his desk drawers! He'd taken them out for some reason, and never put them back, and stuck them in a drawer while cleaning up! 

And all this while listening to the dying screams of the refrigerator fan and the dulcet tones of "Miraculous: Ladybug and Cat Noir" on eternal repeat in the living room. 

• Sad 9

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and did I mention that they needed 2019 W2 forms, which should have been in the safe in the garage. Except DH comes back inside and says not only are they not there, but NONE of the tax information since 2014 is in there! 

I do our taxes, put all the stuff in a big manilla envelope, write "Taxes" with the year on the front, and give them to him to put in the safe. 

I said "they are in an envelope" and he said, "maybe?" Brought me a stack of envelopes to put the taxes in when I "find" them. 

Y'all, they were in the envelopes, all stacked in one of his desk drawers! He'd taken them out for some reason, and never put them back, and stuck them in a drawer while cleaning up! 

And all this while listening to the dying screams of the refrigerator fan and the dulcet tones of "Miraculous: Ladybug and Cat Noir" on eternal repeat in the living room. 

Holy moly! You need some serious chocolate!

• Like 6

On 10/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, ktgrok said:

We went with Knock Home Swap, so they do a conventional mortgage plus a bridge loan to cover the downpayment on the new house as well as a lot of the closing costs, and then we pay that back after we sell our house. (we will also at that time do a re-cast of the mortgage, using proceeds from the house to put down a larger down payment and readjust monthly payments)

there is ZERO chance of buying a house here with a contingency on selling your current home, and no places we could rent with 6 people and 6 pets if we sold ours first. 

Ugh they don't operate up here.  

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If DS 22 didn't have the kitten with him, I'd ask him to pick me up some CBD infused chocolate from the health food store in the same plaza as where he works. 

Wouldn't it be nice if catnip had the same effect on humans and one could just play with the cat toy? 😁

Just now, Faith-manor said:

Wouldn't it be nice if catnip had the same effect on humans and one could just play with the cat toy? 😁

LOL! Kitty and I could share!

I'm settling for a pumpkin spice cold brew right now, and later will have some of my new favorite iced tea - coco mint chill. It's got peppermint and rooibos and some chocolate, although I don't taste the chocolate much. And catnip is related to peppermint, so close!

• Like 3

I couldn't take it anymore. I made room and moved the perishables into the house fridge and unplugged the garage one. I wasn't going to make it until Wednesday when the parts come. DD11 sat at my desk for just a few minutes and said it was "not okay" and made her stabby. I was listening for hours on end. Then could hear it at night, too. 

DS said he'll grab the CBD chocolate tomorrow on his lunch break, lol. Just in case. 

Got the info I needed to request the partial claim payoff info..BUT...the company that services that is transferring it to another company in 4 days. So...yeah. Loan processor said to request it from both, to cover our bases, lol. But by the time she told me that it was 2 minutes to closing time for that company, so I'll call tomorrow to get the email to send the payoff request to. 

• Like 2

Newest stress - his university job messed up his paychecks. As in, didn't pay him. Mind you, I brought this up to him a month ago, but he said that was from when he took a session off. But, it wasn't. He should have been paid in August for July. He was not. His boss is tracking down the problem now, but I need a paystub to send in! Like, I don't even care about the money right now (I mean, I do) just send me a form showing he's being paid/was paid/is paid, something, lol. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Newest stress - his university job messed up his paychecks. As in, didn't pay him. Mind you, I brought this up to him a month ago, but he said that was from when he took a session off. But, it wasn't. He should have been paid in August for July. He was not. His boss is tracking down the problem now, but I need a paystub to send in! Like, I don't even care about the money right now (I mean, I do) just send me a form showing he's being paid/was paid/is paid, something, lol. 

Good grief.  I tell ya the entire world is incompetent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Good grief.  I tell ya the entire world is incompetent. 

seriously

Add in that the company our FHA Partial Payment loan is being transferred to has NO email address, their phone goes directly to voicemail and the mail box is full so you can't leave a voicemail, and the fax number is busy and fax won't go through. so..yeah. That's not boding well. 

I emailed the HUD help department to let them know the situation, got an automated response telling me it could take 2 days to hear back on my concern. 

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

seriously

Add in that the company our FHA Partial Payment loan is being transferred to has NO email address, their phone goes directly to voicemail and the mail box is full so you can't leave a voicemail, and the fax number is busy and fax won't go through. so..yeah. That's not boding well. 

I emailed the HUD help department to let them know the situation, got an automated response telling me it could take 2 days to hear back on my concern. 

I am trying to gather the bills for my parents car accident.  The physical therapist bills are being handled by a third party biller.  The one number I had was for a girl who still hasn't called me back after 2 days.  So I tried to email her.  It bounced.  Twice.  Then I tried to call the main number for the company.  Disconnected. Sooooo frustrating.  I am trying to PAY them for pete's sake.

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am trying to gather the bills for my parents car accident.  The physical therapist bills are being handled by a third party biller.  The one number I had was for a girl who still hasn't called me back after 2 days.  So I tried to email her.  It bounced.  Twice.  Then I tried to call the main number for the company.  Disconnected. Sooooo frustrating.  I am trying to PAY them for pete's sake.

Exactly!

Like, how do I pay off this loan if you won't give me a way to contact you?!?!?

• Thanks 3

@ktgrok

I am following the saga and wishing you well. All of our house sales/purchases have been stressful. We are going to be doing it again in a couple years and we are already gearing up. I am waiting for a review of your experience with Knock when all is said and done. 

Both times we have sold homes they sold really quickly and we were under immense pressure to find something to buy fast. And both times we ended up with something we wouldn’t have if we had more time. This time we are going to buy first. I know there are a few ways to do it but I’m really interested in how Knock works out for you.

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

@ktgrok

I am following the saga and wishing you well. All of our house sales/purchases have been stressful. We are going to be doing it again in a couple years and we are already gearing up. I am waiting for a review of your experience with Knock when all is said and done. 

Both times we have sold homes they sold really quickly and we were under immense pressure to find something to buy fast. And both times we ended up with something we wouldn’t have if we had more time. This time we are going to buy first. I know there are a few ways to do it but I’m really interested in how Knock works out for you.

I'll let you know!

So far, no real snags from them, although they haven't been super transparent about the steps/process. Or maybe they just think I know more than I do, lol. My loan officer is pretty great, the processor I have a bit less faith in..but we will see. 

Right now we are waiting on approval for the bridge loan part - I guess I didn't realize that would be separate underwriting and such, and take place later in the process. I mean, if we don't get that approval, that sinks the whole thing so you'd think they'd do it at the same time! I'm hoping that since they approved us for the much bigger mortgage part they will approve us for the smaller bridge loan, but I'm a basket of nerves. We should get the conditional approval by end of day tomorrow at the latest. 

And I have no idea if getting the FHA payoff statement is going to dealy closing given the issue with it being transferred to another company on the 12th. The processor is thinking we should be okay..but ugh. 

• Like 3

No news on the payoff, and the person who handles payroll at the university DH teaches at is out of town until Monday. They are having a meeting on Monday to address the missing paycheck issue, but the next pay period date to issue checks is 10/15. We close 10/22. Ugh. I'm hoping they can make a one time payment before the 15th. Otherwise they offered to speak to the lending company, or can provide I letter I'd think, explaining. 

• Like 4

Send payoff vibes! I have not heard from the new company handling the FHA Payoff Requests. And there is NO way to contact them by phone - it just goes to a recording saying a bunch of stuff I already know. I sent another email today, asking to confirm that this was the correct email and to try to get a status update. Lender is saying we may need to delay closing by a week or more if they don't get it by Tuesday. I'm freaking out!

• Sad 5

On 9/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, Faith-manor said:

Katie, I think if they are willing to schedule the appraisal, then probably everything is okay. Breathe deep, and go hide in a closet with some chocolate for a few minutes. Hugs from someone who honestly thought this bank would make her NUTS before we made it to closing! But it did happen. Phew. I told Mark, this.is.it. No more mortgages. We will pay this off in a few years, and then if we ever move again, it is to a retirement condo that we pay cash for because I can't take the stress. At one point they wanted biweekly statements for our checking account on bank stationary and our bank only issues them monthly, and if you order one in between you have to pay $10.00 and it is a computer print out on blank paper. They finally agreed to screen shots from online banking. Just crazy making!

DD2 was having issues with flood insurance garbage too.  They ended up buying the flood insurance before they closed on the house-- they are closing today in a few hours.  But dd2 was telling us how she ended up crying because the assistant to the mortgage person was the worse and calling her every few minutes and yelling at her.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Send payoff vibes! I have not heard from the new company handling the FHA Payoff Requests. And there is NO way to contact them by phone - it just goes to a recording saying a bunch of stuff I already know. I sent another email today, asking to confirm that this was the correct email and to try to get a status update. Lender is saying we may need to delay closing by a week or more if they don't get it by Tuesday. I'm freaking out!

Praying everything goes your way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

DD2 was having issues with flood insurance garbage too.  They ended up buying the flood insurance before they closed on the house-- they are closing today in a few hours.  But dd2 was telling us how she ended up crying because the assistant to the mortgage person was the worse and calling her every few minutes and yelling at her.

It is like the whole universe has gone NUTS!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

It is like the whole universe has gone NUTS!

Yep and the assistant kept insisting on stuff that wasn't  needed and kept not understanding the way flood insurance works.  Like that the feds are involved and it doesn't matter what you want-  the fed govt procedures are what they are.

It is like the so-called economist who just called inflation a "high class problem". Well, as the older parents who are making a lot more than any of our children, I can tell you that inflation always affects lower income people worse-  they have less disposable income that can be used for food, gas, heating, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is insane! I found on the internet the. main number for the locaton that handles this stuff. But when you call it gives you a menu, with press zero for operator. So I do, and it says, "I can't understand" and puts you back into the menu. I tried the "press 9 for a list of names" figuring I'd pick a random person, also got "I can't understand". Over and over. 

The phone number specific to the payoff department is just a recording, no way to speak to anyone or leave a message. 

On hold with HUD, who may or not be able to help, but the hold time is estimated to be over 2 hours. 

• Sad 5

oh my word, Katie. Praying it all works out and you reach a real person, soon. 

This is the people taking over the payoff thing? Can the place who currently has it help you reach a person? Like, if you call them can they maybe help you reach a real person &/or get you the info, etc??

We got it!!!!! 

After 2 hours and 40 minutes of holding for HUD only to have them do nothing but send an escalation notice, I went back to searching for numbers for ISN. I found a list of the managers for each department,  with their emails and phone numbers, and left messages and sent emails to anyone even remotely related to what I needed. Got an email back from the payoff manager, and after going back and forth she got it to us!!!! WHOOOHOOO! And we uploaded/emailed everything else they asked for, all conditions met, so we should be good to close on the 15th!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Had our walk through today! There was some confusion with the title company as they haven't worked with Knock before, and the process of bridge loan, etc was a bit complicated. But we got that worked out, and close tomorrow at 10am! 

I'm exhausted, have more packing to do (and cleaned the couch today, which was hard work!), DH is at his second job and won't be home until 11pm or later, and it is terrifying to think the next few days will be even MORE exhausting than this past week! 

Now to close, and then CLEAN! It really needs a good cleaning!

• Like 27

I will say, we are going to need to upgrade the kitchen sooner than later - I hadn't realized how shallow the kitchen sink was until this time, and the faucet is a standard one, not one that has the hose thing. Meh. I need a deep kitchen sink and such to fill big dog water resivoir, mop buckets, etc. Thankfully, there is a hose bib right outside the sliding glass doors off the kitchen, so I can use that for some stuff. But new faucet will be happening ASAP, and then when we can, maybe next bonus at DH's work, we will upgrade to granite countertops and a deep sink. 

• Like 10

Thank you! Closing went well, and I got all 3,200 sq feet vacuumed, mopped the bathroms, vacuumed the baseboards and windowsills, wiped down the windowsills and some baseboards and spots on the walls that were dirty.

My parents, sister, and neices all came over, and the nieces stayed for a while until we were ready to leave, and we dropped them at home. My sister is really struggling, so I'm glad we will be there for them from now on.

that said, I'm EXHAUSTED. We got home to the old house and I said I wasn't sure I had the energy to go into the house. Make it inside, and turns out I forgot to hide the snack basket and my dang dogs ate their fill of Luna Bar protein bars, and stole mozarella sticks out of the trash, and proceded to puke all over, and one of them had pooped in the shower! So my plan of just collapse in bed turned into cleaning up multiple piles of puke, throwing away my shower curtain and putting up the new one I'd thankfully just bought, and cleaning my shower. 

I may not let them move with us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

33 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you! Closing went well, and I got all 3,200 sq feet vacuumed, mopped the bathroms, vacuumed the baseboards and windowsills, wiped down the windowsills and some baseboards and spots on the walls that were dirty.

My parents, sister, and neices all came over, and the nieces stayed for a while until we were ready to leave, and we dropped them at home. My sister is really struggling, so I'm glad we will be there for them from now on.

that said, I'm EXHAUSTED. We got home to the old house and I said I wasn't sure I had the energy to go into the house. Make it inside, and turns out I forgot to hide the snack basket and my dang dogs ate their fill of Luna Bar protein bars, and stole mozarella sticks out of the trash, and proceded to puke all over, and one of them had pooped in the shower! So my plan of just collapse in bed turned into cleaning up multiple piles of puke, throwing away my shower curtain and putting up the new one I'd thankfully just bought, and cleaning my shower. 

I may not let them move with us. 

I want to like the part of your post where you closed on the house and kicked butt on the cleaning and prepping to move in. 🏆

However, I do not like the part about the pukey-poopy dogs. Ugh! Not a nice end to your day. Pets being pets and keepin' it real. 😩

Hopefully you'll be able to laugh about it some day. It was definitely a high and low day for you!

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, and my 9 yr old had a bag of french fries for dinner last night, lol. We'd planned on hitting Chik Fil A on the way home, after dropping off my nieces, because it is one of the few places my kid with celiac can get a meal. But the line was snaking out down the street! So we saw a Five Guys sign, and he can have their french fries....but won't eat a bunless burger (plus too messy in the car and with the pandemic we are not eating indoors with unvaccinated kids!) so he just got a big bag of fries. And was thrilled, lol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

39 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and my 9 yr old had a bag of french fries for dinner last night, lol. We'd planned on hitting Chik Fil A on the way home, after dropping off my nieces, because it is one of the few places my kid with celiac can get a meal. But the line was snaking out down the street! So we saw a Five Guys sign, and he can have their french fries....but won't eat a bunless burger (plus too messy in the car and with the pandemic we are not eating indoors with unvaccinated kids!) so he just got a big bag of fries. And was thrilled, lol. 

And eating french fries for dinner will be the memory he treasures of that crazy day!

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, lmrich said:

And eating french fries for dinner will be the memory he treasures of that crazy day!

That and running around like crazy playing tag and hide and seek with his cousins! 

Seriously, it was like animals that have been living all their lives in a small cage and finally are let out - that's how he was acting. It was fantastic. 

And when we first got there DD11 came running back downstaris and told me, "I was in my room! I have a room!!!!!" and I started crying. Her getting her own room was our number one reason for moving. 

I actually cried for about 5 minutes as we were bringing stuff into the house 🙂

• Like 19