Menu

Pancreatitis in dogs-- what can they eat?

WildflowerMom

My beagle is getting over pancreatitis that she came down with Friday.   She has been to the vet.   This is her first bout of it, and I'd really like for her to never go through this again.    Right now she can eat her regular dog food, but she doesn't care too much for it, but will eat a little bit at night.    I have chicken, brown rice, and peas going in the crockpot for her and I plan to cook this a couple times a week and portion it out for her to eat on every day.   What else can she eat?   She is used to people food.   I know no fats is the main thing, but what about scrambled eggs?   Cheese at all?  Apple pieces?    I've googled and frankly, I can't tell what sites are worthwhile and which are crap.   I trust y'all more. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

My vet wants pancreatitis dogs to eat chicken/turkey baby food and rice for a week, then chicken/rice for a week, then six weeks of canned Science Diet i/d. I’ve never known a dog who could recover from pancreatitis in just a few days. But perhaps it was an extremely mild case?

After our dog (she was a beagle, too) went through the feeding protocol above she never had any more trouble. But hers was secondary to giardia/hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, not strictly due to diet. Even so, I did keep watch on her fat intake from then on. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

My vet wants pancreatitis dogs to eat chicken/turkey baby food and rice for a week, then chicken/rice for a week, then six weeks of canned Science Diet i/d. I’ve never known a dog who could recover from pancreatitis in just a few days. But perhaps it was an extremely mild case?

After our dog (she was a beagle, too) went through the feeding protocol above she never had any more trouble. But hers was secondary to giardia/hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, not strictly due to diet. Even so, I did keep watch on her fat intake from then on. 

Thank you!   The worst of it was Friday.   She had blood work and X-rays done today as well as an injection of something (forgot the name, c something), fluids, and sent home with meds. Vet said today that me boiling chicken, brown rice, and peas would be good for her.   I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow for baby food.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Thank you!   The worst of it was Friday.   She had blood work and X-rays done today as well as an injection of something (forgot the name, c something), fluids, and sent home with meds. Vet said today that me boiling chicken, brown rice, and peas would be good for her.   I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow for baby food.   

Probably Cerenia. It's really good stuff.

I'd try to feed her something like the chicken/brown rice/peas (although not too many peas--there's some thought pea protein may play a role in some dogs developing dilated cardiomyopathy) for a few weeks. Mostly you just want to keep her fat intake down to give the pancreas time to recover. Apple slices, melon, any safe fruit, carrots--anything like that would be okay for treats.

• Thanks 1

Ok, that’s good.  She loves apples, and I grabbed some today.    It was cerenia!  She was sent some home, too.   Also gabapentin and Prilosec.    I just started giving her a probiotic about three weeks ago.  I wonder if that contributed?  Idk.  I feel horribly guilty for giving her people food. 😞  I won’t do that again.  Well, except for chicken and rice and such.  

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok, that’s good.  She loves apples, and I grabbed some today.    It was cerenia!  She was sent some home, too.   Also gabapentin and Prilosec.    I just started giving her a probiotic about three weeks ago.  I wonder if that contributed?  Idk.  I feel horribly guilty for giving her people food. 😞  I won’t do that again.  Well, except for chicken and rice and such.  

No need to feel guilty! There's nothing at all wrong with giving them people food, as long as it's the healthy stuff. Sometimes things just happen.

• Thanks 1

Cerenia is a miracle drug!!!! It not just stops the vomiting/diarrhea but it helps with the GI pain a lot as well. great stuff. Like, after Parvo vaccine perhaps the biggest thing to happen to veterinary medicine in my lifetime. Just fantastic. 

Think low fat, easy to digest. No fats, no spices. 

Anecdotally, the two times I had dogs have an acute bout of pancreatitis it was from salami. Both dogs, many years apart. Salami, and seasoned pork products  seemed to show up more than you'd expect in cases we saw at the vet. I don't know if it is the fat plus seasoning, or what they use to cure the meat, but it was a definite trend. They were designed to eat plain meat, but for now only lean easy to digest meat, and from now on now sauces, no seasonings, no gravy, no cured meats. 

So if you like to feed your dog people food that's fine, but set some of the chicken or whatever aside before seasoning it, or rinse well. Again, anecdotal, supposedly it is just the fat, not the spices/curing/etc...but that's not what I've seen in practice. No one's dog ever got pancreatitis from butter, or even steak, that I remember, it was always something 'fancier" than that, when there was a known food to precede it. (often there wasn't, of course)

And if it helps, NEITHER of my dogs that had it happen ever had another bout. Both times it was them eating something stupid (like say, stealing an entire package of salami off the counter and eating it) that caused an acute case. Cerenia to the rescue, bland diet for a while, and they were fine. 

• Thanks 1

And if it makes you feel better, I just came home to find NINE Luna Bar wrappers chewed up on my bed. Dang dog didn't even hide them! He stress eats, and we left in a hurry and he got into the pantry area. Sigh. I'm sure I'll be cleaning up luna bar puke later. 

• Like 1

I'm so glad to hear yall's dogs didn't have another bout of it.  That's what I'm aiming for.   My mom's chihuahua died of acute pancreatitis a few years ago and when my dog started her symptoms, I knew in my gut that is was that.    My biggest fear is another bout of this crap.    

Also, my mom thinks her dog's nerves caused her pancreatitis to get worse, so now she gives her current dogs Rescue Remedy if they act anxious.  Have y'all ever tried that?   I'm going to ask my vet about it tomorrow.  

i'm not a big believer in flower essences, but it isn't dangerous or anything. I just never found them to do anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Also, my mom thinks her dog's nerves caused her pancreatitis to get worse, so now she gives her current dogs Rescue Remedy if they act anxious.  Have y'all ever tried that?   I'm going to ask my vet about it tomorrow.  

I tried Rescue Remedy on multiple dogs--and myself--many years ago and couldn't tell it did a thing for any of us. If anxiety is a factor (I've never heard that, but I guess it's possible) there are lots of effective treatments and medications.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Selkie said:

Usually the recommendation is for the dog to go on a balanced, low fat prescription food made specifically for dogs with pancreatitis. Hill’s i/d or Royal Canin Veterinary Diet GI Low Fat are two good choices.

Yes if it is a possibility for the dog to stay on something like that, it does work. We went with a non prescription diet after a while, but I watch the fat and protein levels on them. So say, Pro-Plan Sport is too rich for him at this point. He does well on Bil Jac, and my one dog that pukes more than any dog should also does well on it, so that's what we use.

• Thanks 1