Menu

Anyone else — math disappointments

DS16 has *finally* made friends this year. He met a fellow birder in PE and found some kids who like board games in CS. He gets to debate topics like "what influences your political views the most?" in AP Gov. He's doing cross-country and has been incredibly challenged. His Spanish class is immersion-style with a teacher from Spain.

There are plenty of things that drive me nuts. But it is worth it to list the things that don't!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

DS16 has *finally* made friends this year. He met a fellow birder in PE and found some kids who like board games in CS. He gets to debate topics like "what influences your political views the most?" in AP Gov. He's doing cross-country and has been incredibly challenged. His Spanish class is immersion-style with a teacher from Spain.

There are plenty of things that drive me nuts. But it is worth it to list the things that don't!

May I ask how much homework he does daily? Or what time is he done?

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

May I ask how much homework he does daily? Or what time is he done?

He's really efficient. He doesn't do much homework per day this year (and when he was asked to write about what he learned to value in school for a recent project, he wrote, "Hard work, diligence, and efficiency.") Maybe 1-2 hours per night max, usually closer to 1? I don't think this is typical at his school, though; most kids complain about having loads of homework they do all the time.

He did have a hard time with the US History AP reading load last year. He says his classes are a lot easier this year (US Gov AP, English 3, Biology, Multi-Var Calc, AP Spanish, Comp Sci A AP, PE). His APs last year were Chem AP, US Hist AP, and BC Calc through AoPS.

• Like 2

DS16 says that he likes biology now. Once the teacher finished the climate change unit (which he said was super simplistic and didn't really seem like biology), they've moved into actual biology. He says the teacher spends one 90-minute period on the subject followed by a 90-minute lab. He's really enjoying the labs, especially after spending his whole year in AP Chem watching labs from a laptop.

Emily

(Just for clarity: My son is a total climate change believer. He is obsessed with birds and data, and has looked at how bird migration patterns have changed over the last fifty years. He doesn't have any problem with climate change as a school unit, just was annoyed that a very simplistic form of it was being taught in lieu of biology.)

• Like 1