Menu

American Girl books-a heads up to BE CAREFUL

About a month ago I got the AG book from the library about manners. It is a really good book. However, a few days ago, dd8 came to me asking me what "tamps" were, much to my amazement. She said she read about it in the AG book in a section about what to be sure to pack in your backpack for a camping trip. I wasn't really ready to have that discussion, so I just told her they were a type of "comfort pad" for women. (She has seen my pads around and I just explained them as "comfort pads" for women's underwear-you will use them when you get older, and she was fine with that for now.)

Our policy so far has been that we do info around here on an as-asked basis-if they ask, we explain it, but give only the amt of info they are seeming to ask for and satisfied with. (although we will have "the talk" before they ask, if the age is approaching that they should know.)

I like the AG nonfiction books; in fact, I plan to use "The Care and Keeping of You" when the time comes. I had also just ordered the one about skin care and nails for her bday because she's interested in that kind of thing, but you can bet I'll preread it now before giving it to her! Most of the time I do preread when I can, but I had just skimmed the manners one and it looked okay. It wasn't really a big deal but I just wanted to mention this in case it will help someone.

Yes, The Care and Keeping of You is, in fact, very thorough. I am actually happy about that. I was wondering how in the world I was going to explain/demonstrate the proper use of certain feminine hygiene products and this book has illustrations (very detailed) for that purpose. It's a bit disconcerting, no doubt, but for the benefit of my daughter's experience and readiness, it's worth it. I don't want her to have to fumble about without information as I did. THAT was miserable.

Anyway, you know you're a parent of a tween girl when they ask for a baby blanket (something soft and cozy to cuddle with) for Christmas and yet they are clearly showing physical signs as well as curiosity about the changes they are experiencing. So last year, when she was 10 years and 1 month old she got a baby blanket and The Care and Keeping of You for Christmas. She has two younger sisters no where near being ready for much of the information in the book so we found a "special place" to keep the book and she has access to it at any time, but it's safe from the eyes/hands of the youngers. This has built a new level of relationship between my dd and me. She comes to me with questions and asks me to be with her while she reads the book. Pretty cool.

I do know moms that have paper clipped or stapled certain pages closed for younger girls until they are more developmentally ready for that info. I didn't feel the need to do that by the time I was aware of the book. I just made myself very available for questions and we had had an early version of "the talk" so she was aware of how things work and why. She's about ready for a second pass at "the talk" with a few more details. DEFINITELY want the information coming from me instead of mis-information from someone else. KWIM?

FYI for when it's the right time to share this book with your daughter.

Yes, The Care and Keeping of You is, in fact, very thorough. I am actually happy about that. I was wondering how in the world I was going to explain/demonstrate the proper use of certain feminine hygiene products and this book has illustrations (very detailed) for that purpose. It's a bit disconcerting, no doubt, but for the benefit of my daughter's experience and readiness, it's worth it. I don't want her to have to fumble about without information as I did. THAT was miserable....

...FYI for when it's the right time to share this book with your daughter.

I think it is a great book. My 9 1/2 yo dd is going through it now with me. I wanted to open the dialogue with her as well as preempt any false information she will be recieving from friends soon enough. Like you said, it is a good tool when the child is ready for it.

I'm curious about others thoughts on the AG books as well. My dd (8) has asked for some and I have not read any yet.

The storybooks are absolutely devoid of any topics like physical development or menstruation etc. (That would be interesting though; a chapter on how Samantha deals with it, how Felicity manages...very historical! But girls didn't start so early as they do now, either...) Stories deal pretty much with historical context, social issues of the time, friendship, and family. There's a huge difference in subject matter between the non-fiction books and the stories.

I think The care and keeping of you is an excellent book and have bought it to give to my dd8. I need to give it to her soon, like this week. I think I probably should get the embarrassment and friendship ones too--she already has the manners one and loves it.

We don't have that book, but...when dd was in 2nd grade in the local ps, she was pleased to tell me that there is a machine in the bathroom where you can buy a napkin, and her friend had bought one to dry her hands! DD added, "Guess what, mom? They also have something called t----!"

I was not happy that the younger grades had access to the machines. I did mention it to the principal, and she said that the second item was not stocked in the machine.

the doll books are completely different from the nonfiction books. We are very conservative and dd has been reading the doll-related books since she was six. (Although she didn't read the ones about the modern day girls or the ones about the dolls in the 70s.) And the nonfiction books, like I said, seem perfect for the right time.

Does anyone have any concerns about the doll-related stories?

As others have said, the doll/history stories are very "safe". I think the problems one could potentially see are some occasional minor sibling rivalry (though whatever family each girl has is always seen as very important, and those relationships are strong despite some minor squabbles), or perhaps some occasional disobedience (sneaking out to figure out a mystery or help a friend, perhaps). The sort of things to create enough conflict to keep a story moving forward, but nothing that I'm concerned about letting my 6yo read to herself. (Whereas I don't expect to be reading the non-fiction books for several years yet.)

Oh, and my kids learned the rhyme about "I see London, I see France, I can see your underpants" from the Molly book. That's about as risque as they get though. :D

Yes, The Care and Keeping of You is, in fact, very thorough. I am actually happy about that. I was wondering how in the world I was going to explain/demonstrate the proper use of certain feminine hygiene products and this book has illustrations (very detailed) for that purpose. It's a bit disconcerting, no doubt, but for the benefit of my daughter's experience and readiness, it's worth it. I don't want her to have to fumble about without information as I did. THAT was miserable.

FYI for when it's the right time to share this book with your daughter.

:iagree:I love this book for these reasons! I have it to my DD when she was 9 and we discussed it together and have referred back to it several times in the last 5 years. I really wish there was a Care and Keeping of You type book for boys.

As with ANY book, if you are concerned about content, you should pre-read and determine if the book is appropriate for YOUR child. I didn't find the Manners book inappropriate on how it handled manners for deaths including suicides. DD had a teammate whose older brother committed suicide, so we had to deal with it much earlier than I would have liked outside of a book.

The books handle just about any scenario, for which this family is thankful.

Oh, and my kids learned the rhyme about "I see London, I see France, I can see your underpants" from the Molly book. That's about as risque as they get though. :D

I have only my dh to thank for teaching that one to my kiddos.

And the first song my dh taught our oldest(at 2?) --- Play that Funky Music White Boy. :ack2: He sang that everywhere I took him. He, of course, thought it was hillarious...

Of course, now I'm thinking I need to get The Care and Keeping of You for my dd -- just to have it on-hand... I've been struggling with the idea of how to have those conversations with dd when she was ready. It sounds like this book would be a tremendous help!

Ah. There great thing about having a house full of girls. I really only had to have the introductory talk with the oldest one. Now you can bet a sister has already managed to answer any questions in a matter-of-fact way long before they ever get to me. Of course, I do have in depth discussions with each child but they usually already have the basics down by the time they make it to me. And since we have very thorough and open discussions around here, the older girls usually have things right. I have yet to have a younger dd come to me with incorrect info that she got from a sister. They are also great with helping with self-esteem issues as well. My 9 yr. old is currently under the impression that she has too much chub and therefore needs to lose weight. I have no idea where she got this idea but certainly not in this house. Anyhow, her sisters have been great in disabusing her of the notion and helping with her self-esteem. And of course, for some reason sisters seem to trust their siblings on these sorts of things more than their mothers.

The American Girl MYSTERY series had some things I was not okay with, so we didn't read that series. The one book I preread completely had two young girls sneaking out against parents' permission to try to solve the mystery themselves, which involved (as I recall) going into an empty building near an airport and the bad man locked them in (totally going on memory here, but it was something like that.) It all ended up okay, but in real life, probably wouldn't have!

Don't get me wrong-I'm not against stories with conflict, etc., but it was the deliberate disobedience in a way that would have ended up as a horrible situation in real life but all ended up happy in the book that bugged me. I would recommend prereading these, especially for a younger child.

:iagree:I love this book for these reasons! I have it to my DD when she was 9 and we discussed it together and have referred back to it several times in the last 5 years. I really wish there was a Care and Keeping of You type book for boys.

I believe there is one for boys.

ETA: Oops! Kelly beat me to this.

Good information to know, thank you. I've never purchased American Doll anything, but may now get the manners & care/keeping book.

I probably wouldn't have bought an American Girl book on my own. This one came as part of dd's Sonlight Science for this year, and I have learned to respect and trust their suggestions.

There is a boys book. My boys have a copy of it.

It's called The Boys Body Book. Here's a link on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Body-Book-Everything-Growing/dp/1933662743/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228931957&sr=8-1

THANK YOU!!! :) I just ordered it! I gave up looking - before this was published I guess.

Thanks again!!

This thread inspired me to go to the bookstore this afternoon and buy the friendship and feelings books. DD8 is having a little bit of a hard time with a girl in her dance class, and though we've talked about it, I knew she would want to read these books and 'be prepared.' When I gave them to her she nearly did backflips of joy--"These are just the books I wanted! Thank you Mom!" She is now studying them for all she's worth. So thanks for starting the thread! I always meant to get them for her when she got a little older...and I realized that now, she is.

It is a really good book. However, a few days ago, dd8 came to me asking me what "tamps" were, much to my amazement. She said she read about it in the AG book in a section about what to be sure to pack in your backpack for a camping trip. I wasn't really ready to have that discussion, so I just told her they were a type of "comfort pad" for women. (She has seen my pads around and I just explained them as "comfort pads" for women's underwear-you will use them when you get older, and she was fine with that for now.)

I don't understand this perspective at all. :confused:

My kids (boys and girls) have known about women's cycles and periods in age understandable terms from......the time they were verbal.

For an 8 year old girl, I can't think of a reason to not be direct and honest. I can think of very many reasons *to* give her (and boys, for that matter) that information.

I don't understand this perspective at all. :confused:

My kids (boys and girls) have known about women's cycles and periods in age understandable terms from......the time they were verbal.

For an 8 year old girl, I can't think of a reason to not be direct and honest. I can think of very many reasons *to* give her (and boys, for that matter) that information.

I wondered when someone was going to say that....

I'm glad I'm not alone in treating something natural as...well, natural.

I wondered when someone was going to say that....

I'm glad I'm not alone in treating something natural as...well, natural.

Yes. I find many parents, homeschoolers in particular "shelter" kids from biology. I don't believe that knowledge of biology (intercourse, reproduction) is related to "loss of innocence" or "not being a kid" at all.

Indeed, when we got "The Period Talk" in 5th grade by the school nurse, I (fortunately) already knew. But the immediate, stern *silence* the moment a BOY walked into the library on an errand communicated more to me than her whole dissertation about menstruation.

As did my own Mother's weird (and damaging) vibe about the use of tampons for young girls/virgins.

I truly think that children who do not know about mestruation, sex, reproduction, etc are at a far greater risk socially, bodily and in years to come than kids who are intentionally and conscienciously told about reproduction as natural, expected part of family life. I don't wait for my kids to ask about nutrition, molecules, semi-colon use, drugs or how to use tools. Why do sex related topics get different treatment?

I love this book for these reasons! I have it to my DD when she was 9 and we discussed it together and have referred back to it several times in the last 5 years. I really wish there was a Care and Keeping of You type book for boys.

:iagree:

I required my DD8 to read The Care and Keeping of You as a "health" class this year. She didn't have a problem with it.

Now, if I can only find a similar book for my son. I want one for his 4th grade year. I'd like it to cover everything in The Care and Keeping of You but for boys...skin, hair, exercise, nutrition, puberty stuff...as well as some basic menstruation info. I'm determined that my sons will understand, and not be embarrassed about, women's menstruation cycles/issues.

Yes. I find many parents, homeschoolers in particular "shelter" kids from biology. I don't believe that knowledge of biology (intercourse, reproduction) is related to "loss of innocence" or "not being a kid" at all.

Indeed, when we got "The Period Talk" in 5th grade by the school nurse, I (fortunately) already knew. But the immediate, stern *silence* the moment a BOY walked into the library on an errand communicated more to me than her whole dissertation about menstruation.

As did my own Mother's weird (and damaging) vibe about the use of tampons for young girls/virgins.

I truly think that children who do not know about mestruation, sex, reproduction, etc are at a far greater risk socially, bodily and in years to come than kids who are intentionally and conscienciously told about reproduction as natural, expected part of family life. I don't wait for my kids to ask about nutrition, molecules, semi-colon use, drugs or how to use tools. Why do sex related topics get different treatment?

Thankfully, my mother was very matter-of-fact with me from a very young age. I did, however, once accuse her of keeping a secret from me because I was sure there must be a way to make a period end quicker. She told me that if she knew a natural way to do that, we'd live a far different life (as in, we'd be rich!).

And I say "Thankfully" because my body was never a mystery to me, and I always felt comfortable asking her when something was going on because I knew she'd give me a straightforward, factual answer. I'm pretty sure my boys feel the same way about me, since I've gotten some pretty bizzare questions already! One thing I rely on that my mother didn't, though, are all my medical books left over from nursing school.

I have already commented that things are talked about normally and naturally and in a way that works for our family. I feel that "comfort pads" is a perfectly natural way of explaining it in the context it was asked. As their mother, I know when my dc are asking for the "whole story" or just wondering off the cuff and need a basic answer, and I'm content in the wisdom God gives me in discerning between the two.

REALLLY! One of my dd's began having periods at age 9. Wouldn't it have been a scary experience for her had she not known about it ahead of time? It would be like years ago when young girls weren't told anything and then they'd start having periods and thought they were bleeding to death because they didn't know it was supposed to happen.

Anna, two of my girls experienced early menarche: one at 9 years 9 months and the other at 9 years 11 months. One of those two kids did not have very noticeable signs of puberty and was not overweight, so menarche was totally unexpected. I shudder to think how unnerving it could have been had she not been thoroughly educated about the menstruation process. Both times, menarche happened when the child was across the state visiting with relatives without me.

Actually, we owned a copy of The Care and Keeping of You. For our family, I was glad that menstruation, tampons, and sanitary napkins were part of the content. Plus I often soaked my cloth menstrual pads in sink in bathroom before ringing out and tossing in diaper pail. The girls also saw my sea sponge tampons soaking and drying. Menstrual items were hung on line to dry right beside diapers. Thus, I really can't recall the kids *not* knowing about menstruation.

Anna, two of my girls experienced early menarche: one at 9 years 9 months and the other at 9 years 11 months. One of those two kids did not have very noticeable signs of puberty and was not overweight, so menarche was totally unexpected.

Neither of my girls showed early signs of puberty or were overweight. When one of them started at that young age, it came as a total surprise. So, yes, we're glad we began talking about it while they were littles.

REALLLY! One of my dd's began having periods at age 9. Wouldn't it have been a scary experience for her had she not known about it ahead of time? It would be like years ago when young girls weren't told anything and then they'd start having periods and thought they were bleeding to death because they didn't know it was supposed to happen.

That is so young! She is so lucky to have such a smart mama to help her be prepared for it. My mother was one of those girls growing up in the 50s who had no clue what was going on. She went out to her father's corn field to DIE becuase she was so scared that blood was coming from her privates. I would not tolerate ignorance about the human body in our house. And my DHould go ape crazyif i even tried it. Thank Goddess!

Jen

Happy Grace, I don't think there has been a misunderstanding. You started a thread warning people to BE CAREFUL that a book meant to teach girls about their bodies mentions tampons and go on to explain that you have not yet told your child about menstruation and that even when your child asked you what tampons are, you were circumspect. That indicates that you are not comfortable with your child knowing these things. I don't think anyone has misunderstood you.

Tara

I have only my dh to thank for teaching that one to my kiddos.

And the first song my dh taught our oldest(at 2?) --- Play that Funky Music White Boy. :ack2: He sang that everywhere I took him. He, of course, thought it was hillarious...

Of course, now I'm thinking I need to get The Care and Keeping of You for my dd -- just to have it on-hand... I've been struggling with the idea of how to have those conversations with dd when she was ready. It sounds like this book would be a tremendous help!

You mean MY dh isn't the only one who does things like this?!?!?! Or, are we married to the same guy!??!?!?! :glare:

My charming dh taught my children the "underpants" version of London/France.... AND....

He taught my 3-year-old son to sing, "I like big butts" "The Cloth-Diapered Baby Version" in regards to our infant daughter's cloth-diapered butt. I put a stop to that one FAST, but the damage was done. There is nothing worse than a 3-4 year old walking down the isle singing, "I like bit butts, and I can not lie... Any other..."

:glare:

:001_huh:

Kris

I have already commented that things are talked about normally and naturally and in a way that works for our family. I feel that "comfort pads" is a perfectly natural way of explaining it in the context it was asked. As their mother, I know when my dc are asking for the "whole story" or just wondering off the cuff and need a basic answer, and I'm content in the wisdom God gives me in discerning between the two.

I see, are you from an area of the country where sanitary napkins, maxi pads or tampons are referred to as "comfort pads?" I was not aware that this was a term that was naturally used.

As other posters have mentioned, the "warning" nature of the original post, and the fact that "tampon" was abbreviated, made me believe there was an unwillingness or inability to share facts with girls who would soon need to be in possession of such facts.

You see, that is why parents should have the freedom to parent according to their belief systems ;)

The OP may believe that reproduction is much, much more than biology (as creatures created in His Image - a spiritual, mystical union). So, we may agree with the timetable or not, but we certainly should be left a wide path to parent as we believe. Most dc will get the appropriate info they need - I'm thinking that the timing isn't quite so important as we may think. :001_smile: JMHO.

Kim

My neighbor girl got her period at 8. She is not a year older than my youngest, and in the third grade. That is why they have the machines in elementary school bathrooms.

Please talk to your DD sooner rather than later.

Another neighbor has 3 DDs, 10, 8 and 7. They are my DDs best friends. But, their mother is extremely uncomfortable with any sort of bodily function. Like, extremely!!She wouldn't tell the kids where there cat went when he got nuetered, or what he had done. A CAT!

Anyway, the misinformation coming from those girls is unbelievable. I was in the laundry room, and overheard the older girl say to my youngest "Zoey101 got pregnant because she kissed a boy for more than 30 seconds." Now, my girls both know that is not how you get pregnant, but also know that's a sensitive topic. My youngest told her she was pretty sure that wasn't true, and the girl got very snotty and told ElastiGirl she was too little to know. Well, that made ElastiGirl a little upset, and she piped up "That is NOT how a girl gets pregnant! What happens is..." and I literally broke the time-space barrier getting in there to stop that conversation!!

My point is, a kid is going to think all sorts of crazy things, and believe everything another 10 year old tells them, unless YOU talk to YOUR child yourself. Whether they are around other children or not, they will think something crazy- heck I was sure reproduction took place through the belly button, what else would it be for?! Not talking about totally natural parts of life (reproduction, puberty, heck pee and poo!) only makes those subjects more uncomfortable. And those are the subjects that in later years, you will want your child to be open with you about. Build the groundwork for that now, at the early ages.

My neighbor girl got her period at 8. She is not a year older than my youngest, and in the third grade. That is why they have the machines in elementary school bathrooms.

Please talk to your DD sooner rather than later.

Another neighbor has 3 DDs, 10, 8 and 7. They are my DDs best friends. But, their mother is extremely uncomfortable with any sort of bodily function. Like, extremely!!She wouldn't tell the kids where there cat went when he got nuetered, or what he had done. A CAT!

Anyway, the misinformation coming from those girls is unbelievable. I was in the laundry room, and overheard the older girl say to my youngest "Zoey101 got pregnant because she kissed a boy for more than 30 seconds." Now, my girls both know that is not how you get pregnant, but also know that's a sensitive topic. My youngest told her she was pretty sure that wasn't true, and the girl got very snotty and told ElastiGirl she was too little to know. Well, that made ElastiGirl a little upset, and she piped up "That is NOT how a girl gets pregnant! What happens is..." and I literally broke the time-space barrier getting in there to stop that conversation!!

My point is, a kid is going to think all sorts of crazy things, and believe everything another 10 year old tells them, unless YOU talk to YOUR child yourself. Whether they are around other children or not, they will think something crazy- heck I was sure reproduction took place through the belly button, what else would it be for?! Not talking about totally natural parts of life (reproduction, puberty, heck pee and poo!) only makes those subjects more uncomfortable. And those are the subjects that in later years, you will want your child to be open with you about. Build the groundwork for that now, at the early ages.

Well said.

You see, that is why parents should have the freedom to parent according to their belief systems ;)

The OP may believe that reproduction is much, much more than biology (as creatures created in His Image - a spiritual, mystical union). So, we may agree with the timetable or not, but we certainly should be left a wide path to parent as we believe. Most dc will get the appropriate info they need - I'm thinking that the timing isn't quite so important as we may think. :001_smile: JMHO.

Kim

I completely agree. Good parents know best what their own children can/should handle or know. Sometimes sheltering is a good thing. This is why I tend to avoid "experts." There is no way someone can know what's best for every. single. child.

My 10 year old will learn about reproduction and menstruation this year in school, and we are using the AG book.

You would not read about "tamps" or any other kind of personal issue in Laura Ingalls Wilder books. No BO, no bathroom breaks, no smelly feet, no issues with Pa and Ma conceiving children in a bed a few feet from their daughters. Those Little House books are wonderful without needing to inject personal health lessons or references into the stories. Give me the old stories where polite young women and men kept their personal business to themselves, and relied on a relative -- preferably their parents -- to teach them, as God intended, in the proper time.

Yeah, I can imagine Jane Austin and Louisa May Alcott writing the word "tamps." :rofl:

Okay, this is not quite the defense you might have expected. :) But the offense, to me, is just as much literary as discretionary.

You would not read about "tamps" or any other kind of personal issue in Laura Ingalls Wilder books. No BO, no bathroom breaks, no smelly feet, no issues with Pa and Ma conceiving children in a bed a few feet from their daughters. Those Little House books are wonderful without needing to inject personal health lessons or references into the stories. Give me the old stories where polite young women and men kept their personal business to themselves, and relied on a relative -- preferably their parents -- to teach them, as God intended, in the proper time.

Yeah, I can imagine Jane Austin and Louisa May Alcott writing the word "tamps." :rofl:

Okay, this is not quite the defense you might have expected. :) But the offense, to me, is just as much literary as discretionary.

You may have misunderstood. Tampons aren't referenced in the American Girl story books; they are mentioned in passing on a packing list for a camping trip in one of their self help (manners, hygiene, social issues...) books.

Although the thought of Ma and Pa getting it on after they thought Laura and Mary were sleeping is an image I'm going to have a tough time shaking now :lol:

Barb

You may have misunderstood. Tampons aren't referenced in the American Girl story books; they are mentioned in passing on a packing list for a camping trip in one of their self help (manners, hygiene, social issues...) books.

Although the thought of Ma and Pa getting it on after they thought Laura and Mary were sleeping is an image I'm going to have a tough time shaking now :lol:

Barb

I also wanted to clarify that these types of discussions are in personal care books and not in the stories. My youngest dd loved the Care of Keeping of You since she was 8. As soon as I bought it, she has kept it in her room for all sorts of reading times. It has been a great discussion starter and she reads it openly around the house. She started menstruating at 10.5, way before her peers. She's always been mature physically, and a bit muscular/stocky. This is a challenge because she is also at a pre-pro classical ballet school. There's nothing to hide in a leotard! That book helped her with body image, tamp usage (she can't abide by pads, especially in dance 5 days a week), and countless other issues. I second it and third it, especially with Christmas coming. ;)

By the way...I've long wondered about Ma and Pa in that open house, kissing and smooching each evening with the kids upstairs. :lol: