Menu

WWYD - store credit

Granny_Weatherwax

I ordered a couple of items on line for in store pick up. The items were paid for with a store voucher online at the time of order. I was notified the items were ready the same day as the order and picked them up. Evidently the store clerk did not process the pick up correctly because I was notified again on Thursday my order was ready for pick up; I figured it was an error and did nothing. On Friday my order was cancelled due to not being picked up. A credit was issued to my store account on Saturday. I no longer have the items in my possession; they were passed along to someone else. Nor do I have the packaging from the pick up so I do not have the label with barcodes or scan codes.

This has been a great conversation starter in my house with my family, including my 9 year old granddaughter.
Things we have discussed are:

does it matter how much the items were worth?

does it matter how the items were paid for?

does it matter who made the initial error?

does the store matter?

I'll tell you what I did later.

If it's a store I use often and would use the credit up without having to think much about it, I'd be mildly annoyed, but I'd just let it go. Like, the grocery store, the Target... assuming it's not thousands, that'll get used without effort and our income isn't so tight that I have to worry about it - again, assuming this wasn't like, a new high ticket item.

If it's at a store where I'm unlikely to use it up without having to do some planning, I'd be ticked. If it was over $100, I'd be extra ticked and would probably see what records could be gotten in order to get it cleared up.

Am I understanding correctly that you were issued a credit in error? In that case, I would call the shop, explain the situation clearly and let them resolve it as they will.

Whenever I’ve been accidentally given something extra by a store and tried to return it, they have declined to take it back. It’s too much of a headache on their end, and the goodwill goes a long way (even if inadvertently). 

• Like 5

Something like this happened to me- my online Walmart account was hacked, my credit card number was stolen, but the only thing processed was a  Walmart charge. I called within 5 minutes to cancel my credit card, but the order still went through and the vacuum showed up. I did all the online Walmart chats to try to return it, but since I wasn’t charged and they couldn’t accept a return without crediting me money, they didn’t know what to do. I escalated it twice with no response, and kept the vacuum. 
To me, local small business I would have tried harder to talk to a person. In the end I rationalized- big company, their lax IT got my credit card hacked, and I tried numerous times, then I kept the vacuum. 

• Like 1

No

No

No

No

I have gone in and corrected such errors.  (when I was a broke college student, a clerk (not the owner) put my check in my bag with my items. . . . . it was a small mom-&-pop.  I called the store after I found the check and made some options of methods to return the check to him.  He offered me a job on the spot.)

• Like 1

I have had this sort of situation go all different ways. At one store that was chronically incompetent, I finally stopped trying to rectify errors because it was happening nearly every time I went to the store (long checkout lines every time followed by long waits in the line for the manager were getting to be ridiculous), and there were times that I told the person who was checking me out that they were making a mistake, and they didn’t double check with a a manager, etc. I am not responsible to train their people. 

Eventually, I stopped shopping there for multiple reasons, though there was a “straw that broke the camel’s back incident” that prompted it.

We use their pharmacy now, but that’s about it. Their pharmacy seems to be well run. 

ETA: To be clear, this was a grocery store that had checkers that rang things up wrong all the time, missed stuff, etc. The largest ticket item was photo developing, and the problems were usually of the nature of having them treat a mail-in rebate form like a coupon, lol! 

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 1

We had that almost happen recently, but then the item was broken when we got it home, and it was crazy difficult to return (we actually bought a replacement, b/c it was out of stock everywhere, so we found one finally, got it, it was also broken in the same exact way, so we returned both). 

The one we had the receipt for returned easily. The online store pick up one, which never got marked as picked up, was crazy hard to return because we didn't have any of the paperwork and hadn't printed the correct email (we did show them finally the right email, but that didn't have any kind of barcode to scan or anything).  So they finally did let us return it -- and DH was honest and reminded them that we'd had a 25% off coupon at the time so it was a lower credit than it rang up for. 

But we did have similar conversations about what to do if the store refunded us (in the end, when we went and bought the 2nd version of the same item, that seemed to trigger the system that we'd picked up the original items, so it never got that far).  It was a moderately large amount and we couldn't figure out who/how to alert them, had that happened. We would have tried, though. 

We ended up getting our very large swingset free from Amazon due to things like that, too, and we did try numerous times to correct that to no avail. (They'd send us 2 of the same box, not box 1 and 2 of the item; so we had to return the wrong box, they resent the right box, but then the return triggered a refund, and no amount of chat, customer service phone calls, etc., could get them to understand that it shouldn't have). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lecka said:

We also had fraud with a Walmart purchase.  We didn’t know until a Switch game arrived at our home.  

We went through the fraud process and the charge was removed.  They told us to keep the Switch game.  

We had this with Best Buy, but we were able to send the purchase back. 

• Like 2

This happened to me at Tractor Supply. They never marked that I picked up my order of chicken feed and sent a few nagging emails to remind me to pick up. I ignored the emails because there wasn't any way to respond "I already got it".  A week later, they refunded the money I paid for the bag.  I admit that I only gave fixing the issue a half-hearted attempt. I never got a response to my email about it and I let it drop because I didn't want to chase them down over $13. If it was a large amount of money, I'd be more persistent in getting it sorted out because I would not want to be accused of theft later on. I assume that most businesses have some sort of auditing process that catches big discrepancies. It probably isn't worth their time to pursue small charges like for a bag of chicken feed. 

• Like 1