Menu

Singapore math and supplements to prepare for algebra

MomN

My DS is currently in Primary Mathematics 4A.  I plan on continuing with Singapore through books 6A & B.  I have heard that students who finish books 6 are ready for algebra.  If we take this path, do you recommend any supplements along the way to prepare for algebra?  I own Hands on Equations and some of the Zaccaro books, although I have not been good about working two math curriculums at once.  I have not used either yet.  Any suggestions on getting ready for algebra would be greatly appreciated!

Laura

Mastering the Bar-Modeling strategy, along with developing a rock-solid number-sense is a great preparation for Algebra.

You don't need to do anything but learn the strategy and then work every word problem explicitly and systematically. I don't use the Primary Math/Dimensions series, but apply the strategy to a ton of Word Problems--we love Process Skills to Problem Solving and Kumon Word Problems are a distant 2nd to PStPS.

If the child just wants to plug and chug with numbers, then take out the numbers and make him study the relationships for a few weeks.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mathmarm said:

Mastering the Bar-Modeling strategy, along with developing a rock-solid number-sense is a great preparation for Algebra.

You don't need to do anything but learn the strategy and then work every word problem explicitly and systematically. I don't use the Primary Math/Dimensions series, but apply the strategy to a ton of Word Problems--we love Process Skills to Problem Solving and Kumon Word Problems are a distant 2nd to PStPS.

If the child just wants to plug and chug with numbers, then take out the numbers and make him study the relationships for a few weeks.

Are you still able to find Process Skills to Problem Solving? Spill please!

The advantage of the Process Skills, over CWP is that it teaches the Bar Modeling strategy and Process Skills gives you several exercises to learn how to use the technique, rather than giving you challenging problems that rely on you already knowing the strategy.

I recommend starting with Level 3.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm in favor of not pushing a child but also not using unnecessary repetition.  IMO, Singapore's level 6 is unnecessary for some students because there are very few new concepts compared with previous levels.  Algebra is a different way of thinking and is taught differently.  A student needs to be mature enough to struggle a bit (i.e., not immediately understand and not get upset) and needs to be able to handle the sheer volume of words-on-the-page of an algebra text. 

I would try the placement test for the algebra program you prefer after level 5 and then decide if it would be best to switch then.  If it's not the right timing, continue with level 6.  My own children started algebra at very different ages/levels because of differences in overall maturity, low frustration tolerance, and readiness to process abstract concepts.  Your child may need algebra after level 5 to keep that spark alive-- or looking at a page of an algebra textbook may make his eyes glaze over.  I would consider that a major factor in the decision.  

• Thanks 1