Menu

Estrogen cream or alternative - wanna talk about it?

Spryte

Gyn suggested estrogen cream, small amount twice weekly. I’ve had a recent increase in UTI frequency, and she’s thinking it may help prevent them (they end up scary-serious for me). Also, well, I’m past menopause age. 

Anyone tried it? Pros? Cons? 

Alternatives? 

(I can’t be the only one to be past menopause here, can I? 🤣)

I have used it for several years now and I like it the best of the alternatives. I tried the ring first (ordered from Canada at 1/3 the price) but it wasn't enough to address my symptoms. I thought about trying the dissolving pellets but I really hated the idea of the disposable applicator and all that stupid plastic just going to waste. I like the cream the best because it is the most controllable regarding dosage and I wanted to be able to use the least I could get away with. The cream does have the highest dose of estrogen out of the alternatives though, just so you know. My mother had hormone sensitive breast cancer, and even though these types of estrogen aren't supposed to be systemic (and I found no studies showing an actual link to increased cancer), educated guessing says they might find a link at some point and best to use as little as possible to relieve symptoms. You take a higher dose at first and then decrease it a bunch to a dose that works for you.

Oh, I also get the synthetic rather than the Premarin. I just hate, really hate, how they torture horses to get the estrogen for the natural kind. One case where natural isn't better.

It was very helpful with my UTIs and other symptoms. Very good stuff.

Editing to add some people can get away with using Replens. My gyn suggested trying that first, but it didn't cut it for me.

Edited by livetoread
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @livetoread that’s really helpful to hear! She gave me samples of Premarin, now I want to ask about synthetic. 😊

I ordered Replens earlier today, thinking I might give that a shot before opening the sample Premarin cream. It helps to hear your doc suggested it to try. 

I’m a bit nervous about side effects of estrogen, but most that I’m coming across seem to be for people on higher doses. 

Dementia risk is my biggest worry. I so don’t want that to happen, in the future…

Yes, there is a big difference between hormonal replacement therapy and the estrogen cream used vaginally to treat localized symptoms. Replacement therapy dosages have been linked to cancer and other worrisome outcomes, and many also take progesterone to help prevent some of those outcomes. Localized treatment of estrogen does not need progesterone, and studies do not find an increase in estrogen blood levels when using low doses. Therefore it won't help with most menopausal symptoms, but it does help with the dryness and thinning vaginal tissues associated with loss of estrogen in that area. UTIs happen because the tissues can get irritated from almost anything including urinating and underwear, let alone sex, and the bacteria take advantage. The estrogen thickens the tissues again and greatly reduces the irritation. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

Yes, there is a big difference between hormonal replacement therapy and the estrogen cream used vaginally to treat localized symptoms. Replacement therapy dosages have been linked to cancer and other worrisome outcomes, and many also take progesterone to help prevent some of those outcomes. Localized treatment of estrogen does not need progesterone, and studies do not find an increase in estrogen blood levels when using low doses. Therefore it won't help with most menopausal symptoms, but it does help with the dryness and thinning vaginal tissues associated with loss of estrogen in that area. UTIs happen because the tissues can get irritated from almost anything including urinating and underwear, let alone sex, and the bacteria take advantage. The estrogen thickens the tissues again and greatly reduces the irritation. 

Excellent, that’s exactly what I needed to hear.

UTIs are the bane of my existence the last couple years. I’m on low dose abx now as a preventative, but anything else that might help is promising.

I had a hysterectomy and prolapse repairs earlier this year and my doctor has me using a pea-sized amount twice a week. I don't have problems with dryness and never get UTI's, but my doctor recommends it to help keep the tissues healthy.

I was initially concerned about using a hormone cream, but feel comfortable using it now after talking to my doctor and doing some research. There is no evidence linking topical estrogen cream to cancer. 

I use the synthetic kind and would never use anything derived from pregnant mares. That industry is truly sickening and evil. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

Gyn suggested estrogen cream, small amount twice weekly. I’ve had a recent increase in UTI frequency, and she’s thinking it may help prevent them (they end up scary-serious for me). Also, well, I’m past menopause age. 

Anyone tried it? Pros? Cons? 

Alternatives? 

(I can’t be the only one to be past menopause here, can I? 🤣)I 

I had surgically induced menopause in my mid 40's and was recent prescribed it for the same reason along with a spiel that they were more or less sure it wouldn't increase my breast cancer risk (the reason for ovary removal).  The prescription has been sitting in my bag unfilled for 2 months because I can't get up the nerve.

• Like 1