Menu

My girl is sick...3000 miles away

BakersDozen

I'm ready to buy a plane ticket or something because this mama is most fretful and unhappy right now. Thursday she had a sore throat and by Friday she felt rotten. Saturday sore throat, nauseous, headache (no fever). Today is even worse. She has every med I could think of with her along with thermometer, pulse oximeter, heating pad, heat packs, etc. We stocked her room with soup, tea, juice, dried fruit, and anything else she might need as soon as she arrived. She's going in for a COVID test this evening but has not gotten any homework done and she's really worried/upset about that. But she can't function.

And I can't be there to help her. 😞

ETA: And now she says she can't keep anything down. No fever but her face feels hot.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Sad 32

Just went through this with my college dd, but she is only two hours away and I was able to bring her home for the weekend to recuperate. She tested negative for Covid and strep, thankfully, and seems to be on the mend. She goes to a big state school and their Student Health system was overwhelmed last week with kids who are sick with respiratory crud.

Hope your dd feels better soon.

53 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

I'm ready to buy a plane ticket or something because this mama is most fretful and unhappy right now. Thursday she had a sore throat and by Friday she felt rotten. Saturday sore throat, nauseous, headache (no fever). Today is even worse. She has every med I could think of with her along with thermometer, pulse oximeter, heating pad, heat packs, etc. We stocked her room with soup, tea, juice, dried fruit, and anything else she might need as soon as she arrived. She's going in for a COVID test this evening but has not gotten any homework done and she's really worried/upset about that. But she can't function.

And I can't be there to help her. 😞

ETA: And now she says she can't keep anything down. No fever but her face feels hot.

I’m sorry. This is just awful!

On the brighter side, I guess this means she made it to Boston and your DH and other kids got back OK?

Is she covid vaccinated?  I'd be having her check the pulse ox like 4X a day if she is not.  I'd be much less worried if she was.   It's good she doesn't have a fever.  

My college kid felt off last week (sore throat, etc) and had to be covid tested.  He is many hours away.   He was negative and is on the mend.  Lots of other crud making the rounds on campuses now that people are back. 

This is going to be a rough year on many of us remote moms!  Hang in there.  I wouldn't jump on a plane for this but I would stay in touch and helping order delivery, etc.  I'd also encourage her to e-mail her teachers now if she can.  I hope she is doing ok!

• Like 1

This was me last week- and it was awful!  DD called me in the middle of the night- TWICE.   I was so worried!  Thankfully mine is finally feeling better thus weekend.  She missed several classes,  scored bad on tests this week- all because she's been so sick.  Took about 10 days to recover. 

No advice, because I was worried sick for about 4 days.  I sent mine delivered food and OTC meds.  

First: remember that even by being there, you couldn't make her better. Germs are gonna do what germs are gonna do. They don't behave themselves differently based on spectators.

Second: remind her to ask for extensions before things are due -- not give excuses after she has already missed something. Profs should be very understanding about sickness, and it's very early in the semester. Extensions should not be difficult to secure. A quick email will take a lot of weight off her mind.

• Like 4

They are making my girl WALK across campus to get her COVID test. She is so sick and she has to walk?!?! Concerned mama bear mode has morphed into raging mama bear protector.

Edit: She's calling the campus security to come get her. Good thing because I would have called myself.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

They are making my girl WALK across campus to get her COVID test. She is so sick and she has to walk?!?! Concerned mama bear mode has morphed into raging mama bear protector.

Edit: She's calling the campus security to come get her. Good thing because I would have called myself.

So glad to see the edit and that someone will come help.  Thinking of you both.  

• Like 1

You can help your DD become more active with getting medical help if she is sick. Hopefully she does not have COVID-19 but the exam may be a good idea to rule that out. There are also TeleMedicine appointments available so patients can consult with a doctor via Zoom.

The worst case is for someone to be in an accident or have a life threatening illness. That happens to people on vacation frequently.

I agree with others that your DD should try to communicate with her Instructors and let them know that she is sick and will catch up ASAP.

I hope she will be AOK in the next few days!

• Like 1

Update: COVID test was negative. Dd is following the meds/supplements/nutrition suggestions I've been sending her way and says she feels 80% better today. Instructors have been very supportive and understanding. I am so, so relieved. And my "over buying" (dh) on juice, soup, etc. paid off because that girl was fully stocked and ready for not being able to leave her room!

Thank you all for your support and advice. I have to say that while I'm happy she's in the college environment she wanted, it's way too far away.

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

Update: COVID test was negative. Dd is following the meds/supplements/nutrition suggestions I've been sending her way and says she feels 80% better today. Instructors have been very supportive and understanding. I am so, so relieved. And my "over buying" (dh) on juice, soup, etc. paid off because that girl was fully stocked and ready for not being able to leave her room!

Thank you all for your support and advice. I have to say that while I'm happy she's in the college environment she wanted, it's way too far away.

Glad to hear this update! And as a mom, I have assured dh that there is rarely "over stocked" when it comes to college students living a long way from home. I was an understocked student in dorms with pneumonia back in the day, and actually ended up not eating for three days because I was too sick to make it the cafeteria, and they did not provide meals to sick students for any reason. To sick to walk to the dining hall, call your parents and drop out for the semester. Not a good sick policy. So you can be sure my kids have seven days of soups, snacks, fruit, water, at all times in the dorms plus vitamins and over the counter meds. You did well, BakersDozen!

• Like 3

So glad she is on the mend- I've been thinking of her- and you!  

It sounds so simple to get medical care, but it really isn't.  When mine was sick last week I spent several hours trying figure out options.  No telehealth bc of running nose and cough.   She needed tested, but its over a mile from the dorm and kiddo was too sick to walk and friends had class.  There were no open spots left, so she would have had to get dropped off and then wait her turn- word was about a 3 hour wait.  I called other options in town, too.  Ended up just saying forget it - rest up use OTC meds!