Menu

mens pants long inseam?

Farrar

I have the hardest time buying pants for my boys. They're 17 now, so you'd think that they would take a bit more initiative on clothes - and one of them sort of does, but he wears mostly track pants and so forth. They need to be able to have a pair of jeans or two and a pair of slacks. They're average height (like 5'9" now I think), average looking build. BUT, no pants fit them. They're always way too tight in the groin even when they fit at the waist. And when they do fit in the groin, they just fall off the waist. Like, no belt would fix it.

Please tell me someone knows which brands are long in the stride or the inseam?

Every once in awhile, we get a pair that works, but then my kid who doesn't care about clothes wears them to DEATH. He put on this one pair of jeans that I found at the thrift store that turned out to work some time in like March and I'm embarrassed to say he hasn't worn much else since. So what started as practically new looking jeans are now... Um... not.

Is there a specific style you're looking for? DS is 5'8"/5'9 and has a 30 inch waist. He can wear a 28 but I think they're too snug. He also has a big butt so hip measurements are an issue. We went to Old Navy a couple weeks back and fit him no prob. The 30x32s in relaxed (big in the seat/leg) felt good to him but DD insisted he get the skinny for stylistic reasons. Maybe try the tall versions and hem them. They'll have a longer/more generous seat too.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

They're always way too tight in the groin even when they fit at the waist. And when they do fit in the groin, they just fall off the waist. Like, no belt would fix it.

Please tell me someone knows which brands are long in the stride or the inseam?

Are you thinking about the rise? I'm finding this helpful: https://blog-us.mavi.com/mens-pants-rise

One of my kids is 5' 11" but slim/wiry and muscular. If it weren't for rise, he could wear slim pants (slim vs. skinny), but he has a long rise in the back (muscular glutes), and he's always been that way. Sometimes he'd bump up a size and wear slim but have the pants be a little too long. Other times, we'd find something just right.

He wears a lot of Urban Pipeline, and they usually fit just right. 

My other son has no butt, and I need to research how to figure out what rise pants have when I order online because he's going to need something like 29/34 soon, and I know they'll fit at the waste and be long enough, but he has nothing to fill out the seat/crotch of his pants. He's very, very slim, but even skinny jeans look really funny on him. 

We've tried the Old Navy ones, but they can't get the 28's even up - way too tight in the crotch. The 30's they can do - again, fine at the waist, but giant wedgie from the butt. My dancer is always like, sure, whatever. And I'm like, that's because you literally are used to a thong... sorry, dance belt. Trust me, this does not look right. 

Relaxed fit helps, but not enough.

The tall ones are just plain laughable on them.

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We've tried the Old Navy ones, but they can't get the 28's even up - way too tight in the crotch. The 30's they can do - again, fine at the waist, but giant wedgie from the butt. My dancer is always like, sure, whatever. And I'm like, that's because you literally are used to a thong... sorry, dance belt. Trust me, this does not look right. 

Relaxed fit helps, but not enough.

The tall ones are just plain laughable on them.

Yeah, that is the problem that Urban Pipeline solves for my older kid. You might still need more generous room in the back rise, but you might check them out if they've not tried that brand before. We find them at Kohl's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I've seen Tall in women's clothes that do this. I thought for men's stuff, you just bought longer length. I thought Tall was just for shirts. I'm intrigued.

The tall ones have a longer rise. It sounds like that's what they need. DH is 6'5. His pants are decidedly longer in the rise than the ones I buy for DS.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

Are you thinking about the rise? I'm finding this helpful: https://blog-us.mavi.com/mens-pants-rise

One of my kids is 5' 11" but slim/wiry and muscular. If it weren't for rise, he could wear slim pants (slim vs. skinny), but he has a long rise in the back (muscular glutes), and he's always been that way. Sometimes he'd bump up a size and wear slim but have the pants be a little too long. Other times, we'd find something just right.

He wears a lot of Urban Pipeline, and they usually fit just right. 

My other son has no butt, and I need to research how to figure out what rise pants have when I order online because he's going to need something like 29/34 soon, and I know they'll fit at the waste and be long enough, but he has nothing to fill out the seat/crotch of his pants. He's very, very slim, but even skinny jeans look really funny on him. 

I don't think it's the rise because that's more about where the pants meet your waist, right? At least, for women's pants, if I buy something high rise or low rise, it's more about where it buttons and less about whether it's going to give me a wedgie or not. Isn't it more of a styling choice?

But... maybe I'm not understanding the terms. I genuinely don't know how to shop for this issue. When they were younger, we just always bought elastic waisted pants because they were easier and by the time they were 8 or 9, pants always dug into their crotches if they weren't loose styles. Basically, I just kept dressing my dancer in husky pants but with an elastic waist. Which, sounds absurd, but I can't seem to find anything else that worked. Now that they're basically grown ups, I feel like they need to know what brands will actually work for this weird body shape. 

Just now, Farrar said:

I don't think it's the rise because that's more about where the pants meet your waist, right? At least, for women's pants, if I buy something high rise or low rise, it's more about where it buttons and less about whether it's going to give me a wedgie or not. Isn't it more of a styling choice?

But... maybe I'm not understanding the terms. I genuinely don't know how to shop for this issue. When they were younger, we just always bought elastic waisted pants because they were easier and by the time they were 8 or 9, pants always dug into their crotches if they weren't loose styles. Basically, I just kept dressing my dancer in husky pants but with an elastic waist. Which, sounds absurd, but I can't seem to find anything else that worked. Now that they're basically grown ups, I feel like they need to know what brands will actually work for this weird body shape. 

The rise just means the measurement from the front to the back. Where it falls on the body is determined by your body shape.

• Like 2

Just now, Farrar said:

So... if I just buy regular jeans but buy the "tall" version and hem them, then you think they'll fit and they can wear the size that actually fits their waist?

I'd try them on first but, yeah, that's a strong possibility. They're cut on the assumption that people have symmetrical bodies, both long torsos and long legs. If you order the correct waist measurement you should be able to get the bennies of the long torso cut and hem them for length.

• Like 1

Just now, Sneezyone said:

The tall ones have a longer rise. It sounds like that's what they need.

Do you know of a brand that specifically has Tall with a longer rise? I've not seen it in stores, and my online shopping has been limited until the pandemic. 

I googled Tall and got Old Navy. https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=1091221&tid=onpn001899&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv5uKBhD6ARIsAGv9a-wCvAadLNhlZK_QYxnN1UwEQAoRpDaXKfbBHeMadCmK6bKlabTmbHcaAsDZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They say nothing about the rise. If it's longer, they don't say so, so I would pass them over as a solution for my older son, order some for my younger son, and then find out it will only exacerbate his problem, lol! 

Discover casual & business casual outfits designed in tall sizes for men 6'2 and up. Our men's tall-sized shirts, t-shirts, jackets and sweaters have 1-inch longer sleeves and a 2-inch longer body length. Old Navy's men's tall jeans and pants are sized up to 48-inch waist and 36 inseams. Find our extended tall sizes for exclusively at Old Navy online.

Stay in shape with affordable, high-quality men's tall workout clothes from Old Navy Active. Our running shorts, track pants, jogger pants and t-shirts are specially tailored for tall men, with 2-inch longer lengths, waist sizes up to 48 inches and inseams up to 36 inches. Our tall men's gym clothes combine classic comfort with the latest performance technology. And when it's time for a break, we've got you covered with cozy pajamas, sweatshirts & sweatpants for men in tall sizes.

Womens jeans are differently marketed. The rise means the same thing but, again, it depends on your body type how they fit. A regular or high rise on me fits just under my bust. I'm short waisted. I need a low or mid-rise jean just to look normal. On the other hand, if tall/average people report camel toe issues with a pair of pants...I'm guaranteed to get a great fit, lol!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

Do you know of a brand that specifically has Tall with a longer rise? I've not seen it in stores, and my online shopping has been limited until the pandemic. 

I googled Tall and got Old Navy. https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=1091221&tid=onpn001899&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv5uKBhD6ARIsAGv9a-wCvAadLNhlZK_QYxnN1UwEQAoRpDaXKfbBHeMadCmK6bKlabTmbHcaAsDZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They say nothing about the rise. If it's longer, they don't say so, so I would pass them over as a solution for my older son, order some for my younger son, and then find out it will only exacerbate his problem, lol! 

It's mostly trial and error b/c they're all cut different, even within brands. If you find something you like, measure the rise (front to  back) and ask other sellers if this matches their sizing. You can also measure first (awkward) then shop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I'd try them on first but, yeah, that's a strong possibility. They're cut on the assumption that people have symmetrical bodies, both long torsos and long legs. If you order the correct waist measurement you should be able to get the bennies of the long torso cut and hem them for length.

Just as an aside, this is how it tends to work for women's jeans in case anyone wonders. I have a long rise and in some brands have had to buy Tall. One caution is that something like boot cut/wide leg/flare jeans in Tall can mean that where the leg shape changes can hit you in an odd place if you are buying for the rise and not because you have particularly long legs. Again, varies by brand. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sneezyone said:

It's mostly trial and error b/c they're all cut different, even within brands. If you find something you like, measure the rise (front to  back) and ask other sellers if this matches their sizing. You can also measure first (awkward) then shop.

Okay, so they are out there, but it's not advertised. That makes me feel better (didn't miss something) and worse (lots of returns), lol! But I am really glad to know that this isn't something I should expect to find in a size chart.

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Womens jeans are differently marketed. The rise means the same thing but, again, it depends on your body type how they fit. A regular or high rise on me fits just under my bust. I'm short waisted. I need a low or mid-rise jean just to look normal.

Oh, interesting. I am short-wasted but have a long rise. I have, at times, worn petite blouses and Tall pants that I had to hem. You'd think that with a bathing suit that would equal out to "normal," but it does not. All suits are too long in the torso, lol!!!

There is a reason I hate shopping. :-) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

I'm looking now at the length of the rise on the jeans that are labeled "high" rise and it seems like it's mostly 11". But I know they've tried on some of these before and it's been a total fail. So... does that mean that I need... what... to look for a 13" rise?

The article I read said that front and back rise are different.

My plan after this discussion is to measure them separately, but then also measure the total rise (front plus back) and then if I can shop in person again, whip out the tape measure in every store until I find something close. 

I have had pants that didn't have enough butt room, but were baggy in the front. It's so weird. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My dh isn’t particularly tall, but kept blowing the crotch out of his s Levi’s. So we started buying diamond gusset jeans and he loves them.

These look perfect! You can choose the inseam! But every single pair seems out of stock, so that's less perfect. But still. That's what I want! To be able to choose the measurement.

And... anyone? Why is it called inseam there and rise elsewhere? What's the difference?

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

These look perfect! You can choose the inseam! But every single pair seems out of stock, so that's less perfect. But still. That's what I want! To be able to choose the measurement.

And... anyone? Why is it called inseam there and rise elsewhere? What's the difference?

Inseam should theoretically mean the length of the leg side seam from crotch to hem. 

I worked for a seamstress for a while, and because pants varied so much and people would say they wore a 33" inseam, but how that actually fell on them varied by brand, she always, always measured outside seam from waste to hem when she hemmed pants for people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Seamstress terms here: Inseam is length of pants from crotch to ankle. 

rise is from front of pants to back of pants through the straddle.

and i am with you on the annoyance of out of stock stuff. It’s been like that since the pandemic. But I keep at it both because the jeans are great, they wear like iron, and it’s 100% made in USA. It’s in a little middle Tennessee town, so I’m theorizing that they’re struggling to keep workers around with covid numbers being what they are

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm looking now at the length of the rise on the jeans that are labeled "high" rise and it seems like it's mostly 11". But I know they've tried on some of these before and it's been a total fail. So... does that mean that I need... what... to look for a 13" rise?

Measure your kiddos to see. The inseam is from the inside of the thigh to the floor. The rise is the around the way measurement from top of waist in back to natural waist in front.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm just going to keep asking dumb questions. SO... if the jeans are 30x34 or 30x36 or something, then they'll have a longer rise naturally? Or do I need jeans that are specifically for "big and tall" or something?

Usually, yes, but by how much depends. Ready to wear just assumes as people get taller they get longer in the torso too.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm just going to keep asking dumb questions. SO... if the jeans are 30x34 or 30x36 or something, then they'll have a longer rise naturally? Or do I need jeans that are specifically for "big and tall" or something?

I am so glad you started this thread because I didn't even know Men's Tall jeans were a real thing. I mean, my dad shops at Big and Tall stores, but it's more for shirts than pants. This has been educational. 

Now to persuade companies to always list the rise in their size charts...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I am so glad you started this thread because I didn't even know Men's Tall jeans were a real thing. I mean, my dad shops at Big and Tall stores, but it's more for shirts than pants. This has been educational. 

Now to persuade companies to always list the rise in their size charts...

A sample size chart...https://americantall.com/collections/denim/products/carman-men-tall-jean-heritage-indigo

Notice the rise is not the same depending on the cut.

Edited by Sneezyone

29 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

A sample size chart...https://americantall.com/collections/denim/products/carman-men-tall-jean-heritage-indigo

Notice the rise is not the same depending on the cut.

I haven't seen this as widespread, but it could be that I am still looking sometimes at kids and sometimes at men's for the one that needs jeans soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I haven't seen this as widespread, but it could be that I am still looking sometimes at kids and sometimes at men's for the one that needs jeans soon.

This size chart is definitely uncommon. I'm just pointing out the significant differences in rise based on cut and even based on inseam. Measuring your DC's rise will help better determine what works and what doesn't. The rise, even on this tall people site for a 30" waist, varies between 15.5 and 16. That's a pretty big swing.

Edited by Sneezyone

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This size chart is definitely uncommon. I'm just pointing out the significant differences in rise based on cut and even based on inseam. Measuring your DC's rise will help better determine what works and what doesn't. The rise, even on this tall people site for a 30" waist varies between 15.5 and 16. That's a pretty big swing.

Gotcha. Thanks!

I hope I can find a rise size that works for my tall and skinny kiddo with no butt, lol! My older son is interested in possibly getting taller pants with a longer rise even if we have to hem them if it would let him get different cuts vs. the only one that accommodates his long rise. He's also having to keep his pants up with a tight belt to get a long enough rise. He's considering the merits of the gussets for work pants--he's a Building Trades student, so he needs to do a lot of bending, etc. that pulls in the rear.

• Like 1