Jump to content

Menu

Handmade holiday gift ideas, anyone?


Spryte
 Share

Recommended Posts

Are you making gifts this year? What are you making? Want to share ideas?


Here:

We are making kahlua (a tradition here). I often package it up with coffee cups, some good beans, and maybe some chocolate. This year I’d like to pair it with something else - any ideas?

We want to make more gifts, but not sure what to do yet. We have an unused Cricut sitting around, so maybe something fun with that. Anyone have Cricut gift ideas?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am making ornaments for my kid's team and for him, a pair of "ugly christmas sweater" hockey socks. 

I haven't decided on the rest.  The neighbors will get boxes of cookies and candies, dh may get a pair of slippers, and I'm not sure about the oldest.  Maybe a hat.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We do an extended family homemade gifts exchange (Yankee swap style) every year. Some of my more recent contributions have been two kinds of scones with mixed berry jam and tomato basil jam, pancake mix with fruit syrups, and macrame plant holders. DH has made traditional desserts from his home country (Egypt) and one year even made chicken shawarma. Other family members have made bird houses, photo books of family photos, spice mixes, and candles. I’m not sure what we will choose to do this year, so I’ll be watching this thread for ideas. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about making chocolate-dipped spoons to go with your gift?  Other things that come to mind are dipped pretzel rods, dipped biscotti...

https://abeautifulmess.com/hot-chocolate-spoons/

 

Our plan is to make a bundle of yard/potted plant decorations for each extended-family-household.  Each piece will be attached to a wooden or wire stake.

My 17yo is going to make roses from soda cans.  He wants to try wind spinners, if he has time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJNPORr3_8&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5CDx5wcug&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkoK57up9Y&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=1

My 14yo is making dragonflies from craft wire and, perhaps, faucet handle flowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4H6Bw6ju0&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=17

http://www.robomargo.com/IMG_1393.jpg

My 7yo is making wire flowers that are coated in wood glue and then painted with nail polish.  He may make some bracelets with the leftover soda pop tabs for his cousins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ILIYV9E3A&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ecu-2oePmY&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=18

I am going to make some butterflies either from wire or soda cans (or both?).  I'd like to try out some raised embossing of aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjY7wB-_vw&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17_X_qgDEHM&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUX8IRRCKA&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=16

 

I bought a Calico Critters upright piano (furniture set) on clearance, and ds7 and I are going to make a mini wire-wrapped doll that looks like my kids' piano teacher to go with it (as a gift for her), using the techniques in this link:

https://faithandstring.com/fairy-princess-tutorial/

That's all I have planned so far!

Edited by Cecropia
clarity
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Cecropia said:

How about making chocolate-dipped spoons to go with your gift?  Other things that come to mind are dipped pretzel rods, dipped biscotti...

https://abeautifulmess.com/hot-chocolate-spoons/

 

Our plan is to make a bundle of yard/potted plant decorations for each extended-family-household.  Each piece will be attached to a wooden or wire stake.

My 17yo is going to make roses from soda cans.  He wants to try wind spinners, if he has time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJNPORr3_8&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5CDx5wcug&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkoK57up9Y&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=1

My 14yo is making dragonflies from craft wire and, perhaps, faucet handle flowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4H6Bw6ju0&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=17

http://www.robomargo.com/IMG_1393.jpg

My 7yo is making wire flowers that are coated in wood glue and then painted with nail polish.  He may make some bracelets with the leftover soda pop tabs for his cousins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ILIYV9E3A&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ecu-2oePmY&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=18

I am going to make some butterflies either from wire or soda cans (or both?).  I'd like to try out some raised embossing of aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjY7wB-_vw&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17_X_qgDEHM&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUX8IRRCKA&list=PLZw787EV4QuTqSNoYAAVwzaIbQHZegIS5&index=16

 

I bought a Calico Critters upright piano (furniture set) on clearance, and ds7 and I are going to make a mini wire-wrapped doll that looks like my kids' piano teacher to go with it (as a gift for her), using the techniques in this link:

https://faithandstring.com/fairy-princess-tutorial/

That's all I have planned so far!

Wow, great ideas! I can’t wait to check out all the links, sounds fun to make and give!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

Are you making gifts this year? What are you making? Want to share ideas?


Here:

We are making kahlua (a tradition here). I often package it up with coffee cups, some good beans, and maybe some chocolate. This year I’d like to pair it with something else - any ideas?

We want to make more gifts, but not sure what to do yet. We have an unused Cricut sitting around, so maybe something fun with that. Anyone have Cricut gift ideas?

 

Making kahlua, very cool! Some of those hot chocolate bombs would be nice with them. 

I will be making this very classy needlepoint for my front hall, so a gift for my own family. Sadly, my extended family does not really have any love for homemade/handmade. 

Bless This House  Mos Eisley Edition Cross-Stitch Pattern image 0

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds lame, but I'm making homemade bookmarks for the adults. To jazz it up you could add a really good book to the gift (my favorite book list is here).

Several people in my family grieve grandma's passing years ago.

She was a total character. So I've been collecting all the funny sayings she regularly used and putting them all on paper, the other side will be a super cool picture of her with a bunch of bows on her sweater (we were being silly, but it made an awesome picture).

Then I laminate it all and poof! a fun Christmas gift.

I'm definitely using the Kahlua idea! (A gift for Me. Thank you, Me.)

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

It sounds lame, but I'm making homemade bookmarks for the adults. 

 

I love homemade bookmarks!  Dd used to make personalized ones as gifts to family and friends when she was younger but I would still love to receive them now from people I'm close with.  They are so special!  A friend of mine makes them with cross stitch (or something like that) - they are really cute.  

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

It sounds lame, but I'm making homemade bookmarks for the adults. To jazz it up you could add a really good book to the gift (my favorite book list is here).

Several people in my family grieve grandma's passing years ago.

She was a total character. So I've been collecting all the funny sayings she regularly used and putting them all on paper, the other side will be a super cool picture of her with a bunch of bows on her sweater (we were being silly, but it made an awesome picture).

Then I laminate it all and poof! a fun Christmas gift.

I'm definitely using the Kahlua idea! (A gift for Me. Thank you, Me.)

Oh yes. We give ourselves a big bottle of kahlua every year, too! Yum!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there flowers that press well when you are?  Here we can press California poppies or Queen Anne’s Lace, or ferns, really well.  Fern’s are especially nice for Christmas because if carefully selected they end up looking like Christmas trees.  Mounted on pretty paper, with a plastic wrap covering, in a frame, they are a nice momento.  The paper you put the ferns on can be decorated with ‘ornaments’ and a ‘star’ in felt pen before doing the plastic cover.

I attended a birthday party last year where the birthday girl had knit heavy cotton dishrags for all of the guests.  These were so practical that I started knitting those ‘ball label warsh rags’ out of Sugar and Cream cotton (from the Mason Dixon knitting book) for myself, and I think maybe next year I will be making some more to gift.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kassia said:

 

recipes?  What would you use the bacon jam for?

I make this one: https://www.theendlessmeal.com/the-best-bacon-jam/

If we actually get to eat any before the teen boy consumes it all… it’s good on crusty bread. Maybe with a charcuterie tray, cheeses, grapes, olives. Teen boy will eat it on toast or anything really. Maybe with a spoon!

I have also heard that the Martha Stewart recipe is good, but haven’t tried that one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We also have an unused Cricut sitting in our basement, if anyone has ideas for putting it to use. I’m vaguely thinking of making some grammar police type t-shirts for the teachers in our lives. But need a good tutorial on how to use the machine first, yikes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

We also have an unused Cricut sitting in our basement, if anyone has ideas for putting it to use. I’m vaguely thinking of making some grammar police type t-shirts for the teachers in our lives. But need a good tutorial on how to use the machine first, yikes!

https://jennifermaker.com/

She helps people understand how to use the cricut machine (& has templates, design ideas, demos, etc).

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...