Menu

Pfizer for 12-15s - recommendations re exercise

chocolate-chip chooky

I'm in Australia, so we're a few steps behind in our vaccine roll out. Covid vax for 12-15 has just started this week, and I've snapped up the first possible appointment for my daughter.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in other threads, but I don't know how to search for it.

What are the current recommendations regarding exercise after the Pfizer vax?

Nothing intense for 24hr? 48hr? I've even seen a week mentioned somewhere.

Obviously, I'll ask at our vaccine clinic for their recommendations, but I'd love to hear what you all have learnt.

Thank you 🌻

• Like 3

They didn't make any recommendations for us, but we limited physical activity for one week following the second dose because I read that's what Israel (I think?) was recommending.  Another poster on here mentioned something about ibuprofen after the second dose.  Days 2-5 are the highest incidence so if you can't limit for a whole week, try to aim for those days.  I think Israel is doing a way better job on the myocarditis front (better, more reliable data with lower political pressure to play it down) than the US, so I would be inclined to go with whatever they say over anything the US says.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A week

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/covid-19-vaccine-one-week-avoid-exercise-swimming-running-moh-1990276

”06 Jul 2021 03:49PM (Updated: 06 Jul 2021 11:13PM)

SINGAPORE: Strenuous activities such as swimming, cycling and running should be avoided for one week after the first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccination, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in its latest advisory.

Jogging, lifting heavy weights, competitive sports, physical education as well as ball and racket games should also be avoided.

Physical activities that are deemed “safe” include stretching or working while standing, “casual walking” and housework, said MOH. 

The Health Ministry’s latest advisory follows an updated recommendation on Monday (Jul 5) which advised those who have been vaccinated to avoid exercise or strenuous physical activity for a week after any dose of the jab.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-16/singapore-teen-with-cardiac-arrest-after-vaccine-gets-166-000
“August 16, 2021, 3:44 AM PDT

Singapore is giving S$225,000 ($166,000) to a 16-year-old boy who is recovering from a cardiac arrest after having his first dose of Covid-19 vaccine, in order to help defray the costs of his medical care, the Ministry of Health said in a statement Monday.

The patient, who had required intensive care, is recovering steadily and will likely be discharged in the coming weeks, according to the statement. However, he will likely require outpatient rehabilitation for some time before he can return to school and resume other activities.

The payout to the boy and his family comes under a government programthat provides one-time goodwill financial help to help offset costs associated with serious side effects assessed to be related to Covid-19 vaccines. The teenager received his first dose of Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine on June 27, the government earlier said. The acute severe myocarditis he suffered was likely caused by the vaccine, which may have been aggravated by strenuous lifting of weights and his high consumption of caffeine through energy drinks and supplements.”

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen any recommendations to avoid exercise post-vaccine for adolescents. (other than what Arcadia has linked and quoted above from Singapore)

I think a reasonable strategy would be to exercise at will, so long as the teen is feeling well.  People with myocarditis generally aren't feeling well. (And maybe avoid "strenuous lifting of weights and high consumption of caffeine through energy drinks and supplements"......)

I think that normal kid exercise (if feeling well) isn't likely an issue.  Advice might be different for elite athletes

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wathe said:

I think a reasonable strategy would be to exercise at will, so long as the teen is feeling well.  People with myocarditis generally aren't feeling well. (And maybe avoid "strenuous lifting of weights and high consumption of caffeine through energy drinks and supplements"......)

I went for my regular 1 hour park walk with a friend 5 days after my 1st Moderna shot and was so out of breath I had to stop to talk. We ended up slowing down dramatically and cut the walk short. It was totally different from my (controlled, occasional) asthma, and I assume it was inflammation from the vaccine. So yes, as you're saying I would think a person would have some kind of clue, even if they aren't very aware like me, lol. I mean, it was completely impossible to miss that something was very wrong. 

I was kind of worried something similar would happen with my ds, who can't self advocate well (ASD2), so I made baseline data with my pulse oximeter and have been watching him. So far, 36 hours in, he seems happy go lucky with occasional mild fatigue and a sore arm. At will is probably adequate if the person is listening to their body and not feeling pressured by coaches, etc. My ds did work around the house today (raking, climbing a ladder, etc.), but I reminded him that only he is in his body to say how it feels, that he HAS to self advocate. He did pretty well at it, taking breaks when tired. I also scheduled his shot to have the weekend more low key.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm in Australia, so we're a few steps behind in our vaccine roll out. Covid vax for 12-15 has just started this week, and I've snapped up the first possible appointment for my daughter.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in other threads, but I don't know how to search for it.

What are the current recommendations regarding exercise after the Pfizer vax?

Nothing intense for 24hr? 48hr? I've even seen a week mentioned somewhere.

Obviously, I'll ask at our vaccine clinic for their recommendations, but I'd love to hear what you all have learnt.

Thank you 🌻

I am in NZ and ds 12 and ds14 had their first dose last week.  Exercise wasn't mentioned.  No one said anything when I had mine either.

• Thanks 1

I suspect this may go better for your DD than for a son. There have been some (incredibly rare) issues with young males getting the vaccinations but I don't think they have anything to do with exercise. I think those rare problems are because they are males and they are young.

• Thanks 1

If I knew what I know now, I'd have had my athlete on rest for a week. I still think it's super low risk, but... just in case. As it is, my kid was one of the first young people to get it in our not a state and he literally had to dance the following day. He was beat, but he did fine. We didn't limit his activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After reading threads here earlier this summer that mentioned the risk I scheduled DS's shots after basketball camp ended and had him avoid exercise of any kind for a week after each one. DS did have some issues with vertigo and feeling sick but nothing that seemed heart related. I'm really grateful to the threads here or I'd have had no idea about the myocarditis risk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1