Menu

PSA: HEERF payments (COVID-19 related)

Lanny

Occasionally, I read some of the threads in the sub Reddit for Carolina. This afternoon I did that and I read a thread about some students who will receive $3000.00 USD, from HEERF funds that Carolina is distributing.  The thread began several days ago.

My DD is in Europe and it is 7 hours later there (we are on EST) and I am praying that when she checks her official university email account that she will have received the email about this money.

Suggestion: Have your DC check their official university email accounts!  

Wow!  That's a good amount.  My son (at Western Carolina) has received Heerf funds over the course of several semesters -- I think he got three $500 distributions.  And his summer school tuition was also reimbursed with HEERF funds.  That was about $700, so I guess he has gotten $2200 total.  I am very grateful for it!

• Like 1

Follow-on from the OP:   My DD checked her university email account and she did receive an email. It says that she will receive $3000.00 USD.  That's a blessing from God and from Carolina for her!  Possibly they will initiate the Direct Deposits tomorrow or on Tuesday? After that it says 3 to 5 business days for the money to get into her bank account.

• Like 3

During the first disbursement of pandemic money, my dd#1's university only gave the money to full time students showing need on their FAFSA. In the second, there was an application to get money, but that application was only open to those who had a FAFSA on file.

This last round, they opened the application to any full time student and asked what expenses the srudent incurred due to Covid.

The highest payouts in the last round were $1400.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I’ve had three kids at three different schools receive this money. One had to apply for it and I think he got three or four payments before he graduated. He had some need but it wasn’t extreme. 

Oldest was about to graduate and had no need. He didn’t apply it just showed up in his account. 

My current college freshman has no need. He has a full ride and outside scholarships on top of that.  I guess they are just going by FAFSA EFC to determine who gets it. 

It’s a weird process and pretty inconsistent across the board.