Menu

Sense of smell/taste (Covid, vaccine, ?)

alisoncooks

When I had Covid in June, I had zero smell/taste for a month or longer. It's slowly been coming back, still muted, but better. 

Last Thursday, we had our first vaccination dose (no side effects other than sore arm). On Tuesday night, my taste/smell was noticeably off (smelled phantom smoke and dinner was gross). The last few days have been awful (coffee is undrinkable).  Almost everything is a weird rotten/chemical/plastic smell and taste. 

What in the world?! Is this a common stage of recovering taste? A reaction from the vaccine? (I can't find anything about this...) Possibly I've been exposed to the virus again?  My tummy is a little off, too. Maybe a stomach bug that's causing it? (I had a lot of GI symptoms when I had Covid, too...)

I don't know that I expect anyone here to have answers, but I'd love to hear if anyone had anything similar. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

When I had Covid in June, I had zero smell/taste for a month or longer. It's slowly been coming back, still muted, but better. 

Last Thursday, we had our first vaccination dose (no side effects other than sore arm). On Tuesday night, my taste/smell was noticeably off (smelled phantom smoke and dinner was gross). The last few days have been awful (coffee is undrinkable).  Almost everything is a weird rotten/chemical/plastic smell and taste. 

What in the world?! Is this a common stage of recovering taste? A reaction from the vaccine? (I can't find anything about this...) Possibly I've been exposed to the virus again?  My tummy is a little off, too. Maybe a stomach bug that's causing it? (I had a lot of GI symptoms when I had Covid, too...)

I don't know that I expect anyone here to have answers, but I'd love to hear if anyone had anything similar. 

My friend could only smell/taste everything as dead roses after her shot. Her doctor told her some have a reaction similar when she called to ask. 

• Like 1

So, I lost mine seven years ago due to the flu. Not Covid but what I’m hearing is it’s mostly the same. What I was ultimately left with was awful for quite a while. I’ve now just become used to it and actually enjoy a few things. I still get the phantom smells (pretty much always smoke) a few times a year.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did and yours eventually returns to normal.

• Like 1

A 22yo man I know got a bad case of COVID (not the vaccine, the illness) in October 2020.  He lost all taste and smell sense for 7 months, and for the past few months, everything has smelled like one particular berry.  He says that when he gets the senses back he will never eat that berry again. He is hopeful for a return to normal.   

• Like 1

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I had asymptomatic COVID a few weeks ago. I'm vaccinated, but about two weeks ago I felt like I couldn't really breathe in fully. Two days ago, one of my kids felt the same way. And a few days ago, I was running around the house trying to figure out what was on fire (I thought it was melting plastic or burning teflon). Nothing was on fire.

@Joker2 and @alisoncooks I hope you feel better (and smell better with your noses) soon.

Emily

• Like 1

I had a weird hypersensitivity to bitter flavors for three days after my second dose of Pfizer.  Then on the fourth day between coffee and lunch it vanished.  It could have also happened after the first dose but it didn't penetrate that it was related to the vaccine, so I don't remember for sure.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I hope it clears quickly for you!