Menu

Cry with me(please JAWM)

Mrs Tiggywinkle

58 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I am not talking about a hybrid like that - with live video of the instructor. I'm talking about a fully virtual curriculum that the kids at home use, and the teachers in the classroom use that as their syllabus. So if the class is on week 6, or chapter 5, or whatever, if they switch virtual they pick up at that same spot in the virtual curriculum. 

Sort of like, if a live teacher used something in the style of  Teaching Textbooks curriculum in the class room - giving a live lecture of her own rather than showing the video lecture, and using printed books even if they wanted. Then, if I kid was switched to virtual they just pick up on the next lesson, but now use the included video lectures that come with teaching textbooks. 

Heck a teacher could use the progression found on Khan academy for math, and then the kid pick up at home watching the videos on Khan. Same idea. 

But above, some people definitely were.

What you're talking about is static videos and online worksheets. Meh. I mean, it's fine. They should offer that instead of physical worksheets. But we all know what a waste of time this is for elementary school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

But above, some people definitely were.

What you're talking about is static videos and online worksheets. Meh. I mean, it's fine. They should offer that instead of physical worksheets. But we all know what a waste of time this is for elementary school. 

But at least there would be video instruction of some kind, or written instruction at worst not just a worksheet with no instruction. And ability to email their normal teacher for help, perhaps. Not ideal for a whole year, but would work for a 10 day quarantine and prevent being off track when they come back. 

1 hour ago, Idalou said:

Deleted because this is a JAWM thread about the insanity of her situation. I will take my anger at stupid people who have made light of this pandemic and then complain when it comes back to bite them to a more appropriate thread. I'm sorry, OP that your kids are being affected due to such widespread incompetence.

To be fair I’ve been ranting about this to DH for the last few days myself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’m tired anyway. Forgive me for my rants. An hour ago I took a patient into the ER who has Covid and is now septic with a really low SPO2.  I doubt he’s going to make it. His wife and daughter are RNs but anti -Covid-vax and convinced him not to get it.  I wish I could shake people anymore

This is my life right now, minus the anti-vax nurse family members. As sad as it this is to say, I’ve become quite proficient at spotting the patients who aren’t going to walk out of the hospital.

I feel for your situation with your kids’ schooling. One of my colleagues found a TX ISD that has a fully online option and, apparently, has kids enrolled from around the country. Her son takes classes through them. I know you have other variables besides just worrying about kids at home. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

To be fair they brought him into the ER a few days ago, and he was borderline okay at that point and discharged. In another time, when there were beds open, he’d have been admitted.  But even though we really aren’t overrun with Covid, we’re losing so many nurses who refuse to get the vaccine that they’ve had to close hospital wings full of empty beds.

That's so sad.

So far we've not had people quitting in droves over the mandate, but some will quit. I am so sorry it's a big deal in your circles.

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We are only at 3.9% positivity, with 46% eligible population vaxxed, fully masked school and there are so many kids out positive or quarantined contacts.  I’m irritated at the non vaccinated people.  I’m irritated at everyone, I guess, and I don’t know what to do.  I am an introvert who treasures my silence, and homeschooling my kids does not involve silence. But this is going to be a continual disruption for…who knows how long? This year? Next year? I don’t even know.  We’ve had a lot of symptomatic breakthrough cases and I expect that soon even vaccinated people will be quarantining again after exposure.

There is a hybrid homeschool option now, but the majority of parents are anti vaxx and the kids are not masked. I really truly don’t have any ideas.  I don’t want to homeschool but I also don’t want continual disruptions to my kid’s educations.

I’m tired anyway. Forgive me for my rants. An hour ago I took a patient into the ER who has Covid and is now septic with a really low SPO2.  I doubt he’s going to make it. His wife and daughter are RNs but anti -Covid-vax and convinced him not to get it.  I wish I could shake people anymore

Oh rant way! 
I feel defeated here because our local population has done everything and we are still in a hole. 80% of eligible population locally is vaxxed and yet our positivity is higher than yours. And kids are still getting sick left and right. Almost feels like we have no more tools in a toolbox to fight this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Oh rant way! 
I feel defeated here because our local population has done everything and we are still in a hole. 80% of eligible population locally is vaxxed and yet our positivity is higher than yours. And kids are still getting sick left and right. Almost feels like we have no more tools in a toolbox to fight this. 

Ugh. We hit 6% today.  I did find out that the 46% vaccinated is the amount of total population vaccinated, so that should make the number of eligible vaccinated higher. Which is good news, but I don’t know what it equals in terms of eligible numbers.  It honestly doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference because our percentage of positive tests is higher than last year.  Kids are getting sick, adults are having breakthrough cases that may not kill them but still make them miserable, dehydrated, and quarantined along with their contacts.  I don’t have the answers; but this is not sustainable long term.

• Sad 4

On 9/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Since public education in every state gets federal dollars, it's time the feds mandate online options in every state in order to receive those tax dollars.

Am I the only one who thinks in person ps and online ps in each state should be aligned by week now that we've been through a  year and a half of a pandemic?  If they're aligned, then couldn't they switch the quarantined kids over to online (those kids with internet access) and then switch them right back into in person when quarantine in over? Maybe not in every class offered in person, but the core subjects like math, reading, English, foreign language, history, and some science. I'm betting science is trickier, but a lectures and demonstrations can be online.

It just seems to me that recording each class as it's taught and providing online access to those videos to students who can't be in class for whatever reason (the flu, broken bone recovery, pandemic quarantine, family vacation that overlaps a bit with school days, etc.) is something that should've happened a long time ago. We have the technology. Is it the same as being in person and interacting with a teacher?  No, but it's better than absolutely nothing. And it could be a homework help.  Maybe the kid is a little fuzzy on the new concept the teacher covered in class.  Being able to review the video before diving into homework could really help kids who need more repetition to get it into their heads, and parents wouldn't have to take on as much homework help themselves.  Most parents send their kids to institutional schools because they don't want to do teaching/explaining.

But wouldn't each school teach different things on any given week or day using different resources?

2 hours ago, kiwik said:

But wouldn't each school teach different things on any given week or day using different resources?

The schools need to pick curriculum right now that has online components. They exist. Like I said, for free they could use the scope and sequence of Khan academy, use some of his videos, etc. When the kid is exposed and has to stay home they just log into Khan and do their math on their, instead. 

3 hours ago, kiwik said:

Well we shut down the whole country for one case so that seems quite reasonable.

Meanwhile countries like Germany are switching to an endemic model (no free testing, no quarantining). We're neither doing what it would take to get it under control (updated mRNA vaccines, prophylactics) nor are we moving on from outmoded thinking that seems more politically motivated (to appease the teacher unions) than rational. 

• Like 1

Well, you could do what my school district did and discontinue all contact tracing AND masks are optional.   It is a fiasco.

Oh, and that's right.....it is no longer my school district, Friday was my last day.  😁

The new school district is masks required AND has virtual options.

• Like 6

We do not have any universal mask mandate.  In an effort to keep kids in school, superintendents, in coordination with the health department, do have the option of issuing a mandate if there is an outbreak so that close contacts can stay in school, with everyone masked, and be serial tested.  It worked very well with one local high school and stopped their outbreak and they vote what to do about masks soon (small private school that usually doesn't mask).

It'll probably be a moot point here soon.  People aren't paying any attention to what the new policies are, they are on the unmask, no quarantine train headed full steam.  The county board voted to request the health department head MD pull all mandates (quarantine, isolation, masks, etc.). She refused, so they'll vote to fire her in two weeks.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

We do not have any universal mask mandate.  In an effort to keep kids in school, superintendents, in coordination with the health department, do have the option of issuing a mandate if there is an outbreak so that close contacts can stay in school, with everyone masked, and be serial tested.  It worked very well with one local high school and stopped their outbreak and they vote what to do about masks soon (small private school that usually doesn't mask).

It'll probably be a moot point here soon.  People aren't paying any attention to what the new policies are, they are on the unmask, no quarantine train headed full steam.  The county board voted to request the health department head MD pull all mandates (quarantine, isolation, masks, etc.). She refused, so they'll vote to fire her in two weeks.

I can’t even imagine not having a mask mandate.  Even with the kids masked, there are now 17 kids in quarantine from this exposure, mostly from the bus.  There’s been several more kids from the school test positive so more quarantines.  
I don’t have any idea what the long term answer is.  Our local psychiatric inpatient hospital has close to 100% vaccination rate and the ambulance has been there three times today alone taking very symptomatic patients to the ER.  They have over 30 positive Covid patients(this is a residential, long term psych facility) and most are pretty sick.  
I used up half of my vacation time this year when my daughter was quarantine after an exposure in February.  I’ll use the read up this week. We don’t get a lot of vacation time or sick time, and so what am I supposed to do?  Exposures are going to keep happening, but there is no virtual school option here period.  I was hopeful that maybe quarantines would stop once people are vaccinated, but with the number of breakthrough cases here healthcare facilities are moving towards both mandatory vaccinations and mandatory, frequent testing.  I’m not convinced vaccinated people won’t be back to quarantining after an exposure.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Sad 8

On 9/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

There's technology for wearing a mic.  My pastor uses it. Millions of Americans manage teleconfrences every day, so it's not a matter of knowing how to do it.  It's a matter of providing the means and training teachers. Bubble headed influencers manage to crank out daily videos of the minutia of their lives, setting up a camera in each room and micing a teacher for a livestream that gets recorded seems like something a little can do American attitude and federal funding should be able to pull off.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:36 AM, ktgrok said:

I am not talking about a hybrid like that - with live video of the instructor. I'm talking about a fully virtual curriculum that the kids at home use, and the teachers in the classroom use that as their syllabus. So if the class is on week 6, or chapter 5, or whatever, if they switch virtual they pick up at that same spot in the virtual curriculum. 

Sort of like, if a live teacher used something in the style of  Teaching Textbooks curriculum in the class room - giving a live lecture of her own rather than showing the video lecture, and using printed books even if they wanted. Then, if I kid was switched to virtual they just pick up on the next lesson, but now use the included video lectures that come with teaching textbooks. 

Heck a teacher could use the progression found on Khan academy for math, and then the kid pick up at home watching the videos on Khan. Same idea. 

Yeah, we cannot do virtual at all in our district. At least 1/4 of our kids have no internet at home. Nor supervision if it comes to it. Virtual was a horrible disaster. They ended up just sending home packets of worksheets for the elementary kids, and their parents cannot speak English, so they can't help them.   At state testing last year 75 percent of our Hispanic kids failed the tests. The other kids didn't do much better.

But yes, cry, scream. It sucks that there are not alternatives. I just don't know what the answer is.