Menu

florastor

ktgrok

So, Dr. Hive told me to get this while on antibiotics. And i know my aunt struggled with c-Diff and my nurse mother is terrified of it, so I bought it. Started taking it a few days ago. And, sorry for the TMI, having the best bowel movements of my life, lol. 

Maybe coincidence, but man. I've tried other probiotics and had issues with more gas, bloating, etc. So far, so good with this, so may keep taking it!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Florastor is The Bomb!  

(oh, wait, that sounds weird, in context. You know what I mean!)

We don’t just take it while on abx here. I take it often, several times a week if not daily. And any time someone has tummy issues. Back when I had C Diff (may it never happen again), the prevailing wisdom in our support group was to take extra, but back down if constipated. So maybe keep an eye out for that issue, and decrease the dose if that happens at some point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Florastor is The Bomb!

🤣

So just for op's trivia, there is some discussion of using Florastor for covid inflammation. I'm trying it on ds to see if it will help prevent inflammation when he takes the vax. The bugs help the lining of the gut, improving permeability issues. Taking it for a while to repair gut lining or to let the good bugs have a chance to win can make a lot of sense. The bugs are noncolonizing and in theory you shouldn't need them permanently.

• Like 2

One of my exchange students (who are more than exchange students, but not my actual sons, but that's a long story) has gastro issues about which he is pretty frank (thanks, Kiddo, for sharing. . .). I've considered offering him a probiotic to see if it will help, but (1) I don't know one from another, and (2) if his issue is too many, as opposed to constipation, could Florastor make it worse? I'm not really up on such things but have been meaning to do some research. Ideally, of course, he could get a good gastro workup, but is this worth trying first?

27 minutes ago, plansrme said:

One of my exchange students (who are more than exchange students, but not my actual sons, but that's a long story) has gastro issues about which he is pretty frank (thanks, Kiddo, for sharing. . .). I've considered offering him a probiotic to see if it will help, but (1) I don't know one from another, and (2) if his issue is too many, as opposed to constipation, could Florastor make it worse? I'm not really up on such things but have been meaning to do some research. Ideally, of course, he could get a good gastro workup, but is this worth trying first?

If his issue is too many, not constipation, it might be a good choice along with regular probiotics. I always take both typical probiotics and s. boulardii (Florastor) as they are different, and both beneficial. I don’t necessarily take them at the same time of day, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MooCow said:

I just ordered some more because it really helps my IBS. It's great!

Yup...after a few years of pretending it is just a now and then thing I'm pretty sure I've developed IBS in some fashion or another. Some days terrible gas pain and loose stool, other days fine, other days constipated. I do know that too many veggies make it worse, but when you are trying to lose weight, and eat better, ugh! 

This really seems to be helping. And none of the other probiotics I've tried have - if anything made it worse. 

I do have some that I got from Garden of Life, that have a wide variety of organisms that I will try soon, but I decided to do one, then add in the other, so I know which is bothering me, if one does. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yup...after a few years of pretending it is just a now and then thing I'm pretty sure I've developed IBS in some fashion or another. Some days terrible gas pain and loose stool, other days fine, other days constipated. I do know that too many veggies make it worse, but when you are trying to lose weight, and eat better, ugh! 

You might want to spend some time researching the low FODMAP diet. I was diagnosed with IBS-C many years ago, and figuring out my FODMAP triggers and avoiding them is the thing that helps the most, by far. Unfortunately here lately it means I'm having to avoid all but the tiniest amounts of many veggies, fruits and beans. I prefer to eat a vegetarian diet, so needless to say this is making it very challenging. It's pretty weird and discouraging that I could eat junky food (cheeseburgers and fries, chips, etc.) and feel fine, or eat healthy stuff and be miserable. Sigh.

Also, IBgard is very helpful for me, especially when things are flaring.

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You might want to spend some time researching the low FODMAP diet. I was diagnosed with IBS-C many years ago, and figuring out my FODMAP triggers and avoiding them is the thing that helps the most, by far. Unfortunately here lately it means I'm having to avoid all but the tiniest amounts of many veggies, fruits and beans. I prefer to eat a vegetarian diet, so needless to say this is making it very challenging. It's pretty weird and discouraging that I could eat junky food (cheeseburgers and fries, chips, etc.) and feel fine, or eat healthy stuff and be miserable. Sigh.

Also, IBgard is very helpful for me, especially when things are flaring.

YES!!!!! 

And I actually was going to post asking about what on earth IBS people eat as far as fruits/veggies...but hadn't yet. I did today buy regular old green leaf lettuce to make salads with, rather than the blend with cabbage and such, as that definitely triggers me. Cabbage, onions (which I love and eat daily normally), brussel sprouts, those I know for sure. Not sure about popcorn yet. Tomatoes and lettuce I think are okay. Peppers are maybe, not sure as I eat them with onions, lol. 

I know my kids can't have too many bananas or fruit in general without upset tummies as well. Grapes they can eat lots of though. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

YES!!!!! 

And I actually was going to post asking about what on earth IBS people eat as far as fruits/veggies...but hadn't yet. I did today buy regular old green leaf lettuce to make salads with, rather than the blend with cabbage and such, as that definitely triggers me. Cabbage, onions (which I love and eat daily normally), brussel sprouts, those I know for sure. Not sure about popcorn yet. Tomatoes and lettuce I think are okay. Peppers are maybe, not sure as I eat them with onions, lol. 

I know my kids can't have too many bananas or fruit in general without upset tummies as well. Grapes they can eat lots of though. 

You might want to download the Monash University FODMAP diet app. They were the ones who first discovered the IBS/FODMAP connection. I've had the app forever, but IIRC it is one you have pay a few dollars for. But it's very well worth it. Makes it so easy to look up foods. And there are other decent apps. I've got one called Spoonful and one that just seems to be called FODMAP. I use all of them occasionally, but the Monash U one is the best.

You really have to experiment and figure out what affects you. For me some things are totally off limits and some things I can tolerate infrequently in small amounts. I also figured out that I have to watch types of fiber, too. More than a little bit of insoluble fiber--even from safe foods--is a very bad, no good thing for me. It actually makes my constipation much worse. It took me forever to figure that out.

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You might want to download the Monash University FODMAP diet app. They were the ones who first discovered the IBS/FODMAP connection. I've had the app forever, but IIRC it is one you have pay a few dollars for. But it's very well worth it. Makes it so easy to look up foods. And there are other decent apps. I've got one called Spoonful and one that just seems to be called FODMAP. I use all of them occasionally, but the Monash U one is the best.

You really have to experiment and figure out what affects you. For me some things are totally off limits and some things I can tolerate infrequently in small amounts. I also figured out that I have to watch types of fiber, too. More than a little bit of insoluble fiber--even from safe foods--is a very bad, no good thing for me. It actually makes my constipation much worse. It took me forever to figure that out.

Yes, I find if I get more than 20 grams of fiber, I'm in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, MooCow said:

Broccoli is the worst! And I love broccoli slaw...all the good veggies are hurty. And cauliflower, brussel sprouts, all the veggies that I try to eat to keep my carbs low. I'm sorry that you might have IBS. Stress in another huge trigger for me. 

EXACTLY!!!!

I mean, sure I'd love to eat bread and potatoes and meat and cheese and that's it! (well, I want some nice tomatoes on that sandwich, lol, and a pickle on the side). But given that obesity isn't a fun thing, I try to eat things that are filling but low calorie and low glycemic index, etc. And...then I'm in pain, bloated, etc. 

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, ktgrok said:

Yup...after a few years of pretending it is just a now and then thing I'm pretty sure I've developed IBS in some fashion or another.  

Get thyself to the doctor. There are several conditions whose symptoms overlap with IBS, and it is much easier to adjust diet and so forth if you know what you are dealing with. 

Plus, they can all take a while to diagnose, so the sooner you get started, the better. I would want to see a gastro in addition to my primary. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, importswim said:

I take Jarrow S.Boulardii, is that pretty much the same as taking Florastor? If I take this then I don't need to actually buy Florastor?

It’s the same strain, technically. Sort of like using a different brand of any probiotic. Some are better than others or have more testing, or whatever. 

Florastor is the only brand to have been used in studies for effectiveness against C. Diff, I think, so I am partial to Florastor because they are clear about what you’re buying and it’s been studied. But - C. Diff survivor here so I take that really seriously. I think if you haven’t had C Diff, it’s probably fine.

• Like 2

If you are going to stay on it long term, check out Costco online for pricing. It was the cheapest I found when dd was taking it daily. Current regular price is $65 for 120, but it goes on sale sometimes.  When I bought it on Amazon, I would get really random packaging and sometimes they had the little theft sensors like a grocery store uses. I stopped buying on Amazon after that. I figured people were stealing them from grocery stores and selling them online. 

Edited by Tap

6 hours ago, katilac said:

Get thyself to the doctor. There are several conditions whose symptoms overlap with IBS, and it is much easier to adjust diet and so forth if you know what you are dealing with. 

Plus, they can all take a while to diagnose, so the sooner you get started, the better. I would want to see a gastro in addition to my primary. 

Ugh....I probably will...eventually. I've been tested for Celiac, so it isn't that. For a while I thought it was from eating sugar at night, that it was a delayed dumping syndrome thing from my bariatric surgery. But then I stopped eating sugar at night and it made no difference. So only recently have I realized it wasn't just a "normal" thing with a normal cause. It definitely is diet related. Had broccoli the other night and had gas pains and loose stool the next day - although not as bad as some other times. Either due the amount of broccoli or the florastor is helping. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Y'all probably know this, but there are no definitive tests for IBS. It's a diagnosis of exclusion. So . . rule out everything else, assume IBS. I've had it all my life, but I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy prior to formal diagnosis.

That was my understanding. I know I don't have celiac. I know it is effected by various veggies. I had an endoscopy years ago for GERD. Nothing interesting. At some point I'll do a colonoscopy, but I am pretty sure IBS. 

Oh, and it is almost always only in the morning. If a bad day, until lunch maybe...but never afternoon/evening. Usually just an issue for an hour or so in the mornings. 

35 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and it is almost always only in the morning. If a bad day, until lunch maybe...but never afternoon/evening. Usually just an issue for an hour or so in the mornings. 

That doesn't really sound like IBS, or at least not what I experience. Mine is pretty much a 24/7 thing, although I feel the least bad in the mornings, which I've always assumed is due to not eating overnight. Once something kicks off an episode it will take at least 24 hours for it to settle down if I do everything just right. My worst spells--usually when my body decides it doesn't like some previously acceptable food and it takes awhile to figure out--have lasted for many weeks.

Also, I just stumbled across this probiotic resource some of you might find useful. It's a limited list of products but has lots of data about the products it does cover. It was referenced in this NYT article. Pertinent quote:

To understand the various contexts in which probiotics could be useful, check out this guide recommended by Gregor Reid, a microbiologist and immunologist at Western University in Ontario, Canada, and the former president of the industry-funded International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP), although some products on the list are backed by more research than others

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Thanks 1