Menu

Perhaps I expect too much

itsheresomewhere

On 9/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, MissLemon said:

This is normal for around here, lol. There's another co-op that won't tell you any class information until after you pay the membership fee. The membership fee is separate from fees for classes; it's the fee you pay to get on their email list, see what classes are offered, and be allowed to attend their park days.

I and another woman pointed out that we didn't want to pay just to find out there were no classes available or of interest. No dice. Pay $20 if you want to find out.  They have lots of people willing to pay just to look at the schedule.

Nice work if you can get it. 😒

We have one of those here. It's $25.

OP, I'd ask for a refund. That's a bait and switch.

Re Art Student League of New York

11 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Wow, the prices for the Art Student league are really good! I am paying the same price for "just for fun" art classes for kids and teens. 

Yeah, it is *amazing.*  Check out some of the top-name artists who've gotten their training there.

(I didn't fully appreciate how *serious* it is, when S signed up for her first class there as a 16 yo -- my NYC born & bred SIL had urged it on me and offered to house her for a 2-week summer seminar, and I generally take my SIL's counsel; so had just sort of gone along with it.  It is a Big Deal -- and some of the instructors only accept students whose prior work they've seen -- but also tremendously accessible; a true gift of the city.

But what S has found, repeatedly, is that a whole lot of serious artists really *want* to nurture young people coming up.  There's a generosity and openness in the field that is really inspiring even to folks like me who (pretty much) don't have a clue. 

One time when she was quite young -- sixth or seventh grade, before I understood how serious she was -- she and I and my son tagged along a business trip to LA with my husband, and we visited the Getty while he was working, and upon arrival as she was going over the daily program she noticed that an hour-long open sketching session *in the sculpture gallery* (not a live model, which at that point she'd never had; nor even a painting) was about to start.  We all three plonked down with craypas and sketchpads, and my son and I were good for (oh, maybe) forty-five minutes, then ready to go...

...but she wanted to stay to the very end. So, OK, he and I wandered off, and thereafter went onto an hour-long docent talk/walk about the architecture, then wandered around looking at other exhibits, and then finally after 2+ hours I texted her to find out where she was.

STILL IN THE SCULPTURE GALLERY, turns out. Astonished, we returned, and there she was sitting with one of the docents, a pile of earth-colored craypa and charcoal and white oil pencils (?) between them, and a CRAZY COOL 3'x2' gray-paper drawing before her, he having demonstrated this technique I can't describe (but which she continues to utilize) of assigning different colors to different light values and thus being able to "paint" with (any colored) 4 or 5 pencils. 

As she cleared her stuff out, he sort of nodded at me and muttered something like, keep taking her to museums.  Yes, well, thank you.

Edited by Pam in CT
omitted word
  • Like 3

I don't think it is unreasonable to expecr a class to be what it says.  Sure there can be some flex but a ceramics class needs to teach ceramics, a history of film needs to teach history of film and a swimming class should teach swimming.  I have never heard of anyone enrolling in a swimming class then being told we have decided to teach the history of water sports instead - have you?

• Like 2