Menu

Booster Shots

sangtarah

10 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’m confused, too. My mom is getting her booster tomorrow. She’s not immune compromised.

I don’t know if or when everyone will be able to get them, or if they are even still recommended. Or coming. Or not coming. 

This is the way I understand it --

People who have certain immune compromising medical conditions or are on certain immune suppressing medications (see the list I posted earlier) need a third dose. Instead of the initial two dose series, the people who meet that criteria need an initial series of three doses. That's true whether it's Pfizer or Moderna. The official recommendation is to get the entire series of doses from the same manufacturer, but if you can't get the same one for the third dose it's okay to mix and match. That means for Pfizer you'd get the initial dose, the second one three weeks later and a third one at least four weeks after the second dose.

People who only need an initial two dose series of Pfizer vaccine but who meet these criteria --

CDC recommends that the following groups should receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 Vaccine at least 6 months after completing their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series (i.e., the first 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine):
people aged 65 years and older
residents aged 18 years and older in long-term care settings
people aged 50–64 years with underlying medical conditions
CDC also recommends that the following groups may receive a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 Vaccine at least 6 months after completing their Pfizer-BioNTech primary series, based on their individual benefits and risks:
people aged 18–49 years with underlying medical conditions
people aged 18–64 years at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting
These recommendations only apply to people who previously received a Pfizer-BioNTech primary series (i.e., the first 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine).

are being recommended to get a booster shot at least six months after the second shot in their initial series.

We don't know yet if immune compromised people who need an initial three dose series will also need a booster six months or so after the last dose of the initial series.

These most recent guidelines will qualify a LOT of people for boosters.

ETA: I've bolded doses and boosters because I think it would go a long way in clearing up some of the confusion if TPTB and the media would clearly refer to initial doses and to boosters.

Edited by Pawz4me
clarity (I hope!)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

People who have certain immune compromising medical conditions or are on certain immune suppressing medications (see the list I posted earlier) need a third dose. Instead of the initial two dose series, the people who meet that criteria need an initial series of three doses. That's true whether it's Pfizer or Moderna. The official recommendation is to get the entire series of doses from the same manufacturer, but if you can't get the same one for the third dose it's okay to mix and match. That means for Pfizer you'd get the initial dose, one three weeks later and a third one at least four weeks later.

People who only need an initial two dose series of Pfizer vaccine but who meet these criteria --

are being recommended to get a booster shot at least six months after the second shot in their initial series.

We don't know yet if immune compromised people who need an initial three dose series will also need a booster six months or so after the last dose of the initial series.

ETA: I've bolded doses and boosters because I think it would go a long way in clearing up some of the confusion if TPTB and the media would clearly refer to initial doses and to boosters.

Thank That clears up a lot for me.  So my elderly parents will qualify for the Moderna booster when it is available probably.  But my immune compromised friend who is taking chemo pills should qualify for the third dose now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Spryte said:

A couple of random questions:

- Do we need to wait the full six months? I’d like to schedule with DH, which will put me a week early.

- How long for the booster to take full effect? Anyone know when the effectiveness increases again?

Yes. The pharmacist who checked my vaccine card said she had to turn someone away because they were 7 days short of 6 months.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Yes. The pharmacist who checked my vaccine card said she had to turn someone away because they were 7 days short of 6 months.

Thanks! That helps. I will schedule us both an appointment a week later. DH can wait a week, I think. 😊

Does that mean you got yours? Yay! Congrats!

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Thanks! That helps. I will schedule us both an appointment a week later. DH can wait a week, I think. 😊

Does that mean you got yours? Yay! Congrats!

Yes! I was so disappointed late Thursday night when the CDC did not include teachers. Then Friday morning I heard I was eligible after all, so I headed to the pharmacy right after school and got one!

I am 7.5 months out from my 2nd Pfizer and work in a mask-optional school, so it seemed like a good idea 🙂

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Yes! I was so disappointed late Thursday night when the CDC did not include teachers. Then Friday morning I heard I was eligible after all, so I headed to the pharmacy right after school and got one!

I am 7.5 months out from my 2nd Pfizer and work in a mask-optional school, so it seemed like a good idea 🙂

You needed it! So glad it happened for you!

Hope your weekend is easy, with no side effects.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

You needed it! So glad it happened for you!

Hope your weekend is easy, with no side effects.

The interesting thing is that my side effects have been different than last time, and far preferable! Last time I had weird tingling in my left arm and my legs shortly after the shot, and then a splitting headache from about 27 to 33 hours post-shot. This time: no tingling, only very mild headache 30 hours out, but general body aches and a major swollen lymph node under my left arm. All of which sounds perfectly normal after googling. I would take the swollen node and achiness over the awful headache any time!

@Not_a_NumberHow are you doing? Didn't you have lots of trouble with headaches last time?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

The interesting thing is that my side effects have been different than last time, and far preferable! Last time I had weird tingling in my left arm and my legs shortly after the shot, and then a splitting headache from about 27 to 33 hours post-shot. This time: no tingling, only very mild headache 30 hours out, but general body aches and a major swollen lymph node under my left arm. All of which sounds perfectly normal after googling. I would take the swollen node and achiness over the awful headache any time!

@Not_a_NumberHow are you doing? Didn't you have lots of trouble with headaches last time?

Mine are very similar-fatigue, achiness, and a limp in the armpit. Last time I would not have been able to teach the day after. Today I probably could. And I’m  not getting any autoimmune flare symptoms. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I'm back to normal! I had a killer headache last time but this time didn't have one at all. I just felt achy and had a sore arm. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm back to normal! I had a killer headache last time but this time didn't have one at all. I just felt achy and had a sore arm. 

Great! I was so relieved not to have the headache this time! I'm so glad you had the same experience! Do you think having the second shot so soon after the first is what caused people to have worse side effects at that point?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Mine are very similar-fatigue, achiness, and a limp in the armpit. Last time I would not have been able to teach the day after. Today I probably could. And I’m  not getting any autoimmune flare symptoms. 

That's good! So interesting that you have the lymph node issue, too. Did you have it last time? I did not at all.

2 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Great! I was so relieved not to have the headache this time! I'm so glad you had the same experience! Do you think having the second shot so soon after the first is what caused people to have worse side effects at that point?

I'm really not a biologist, so my opinion on this isn't worth much, but maybe?? It's an interesting question. But I also don't know if the immune response to the booster is qualitatively different. I bet it is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm really not a biologist, so my opinion on this isn't worth much, but maybe?? It's an interesting question. But I also don't know if the immune response to the booster is qualitatively different. I bet it is. 

I’m wondering if in my case, I’m not getting the autoimmune flare symptoms anymore. My reaction to the first two basically was my standard flare, except that it resolved in a couple of days vs potentially lasting for weeks. Except for the swollen armpit node thing, which I had with all three. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

It seems like we should have some data on this from the countries that spaced first and second doses 8-12 weeks. I wonder what they saw for second shot side effects compared to the standard schedule?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I will also say-this level of symptoms makes an annual shot no big deal, if that ends up being recommended. 

Yes, I don't even have a headache--which I had for both the previous shots. Or the fatigue. Only symptom is a little bit of arm soreness, like I usually get with any shot. I could hardly feel the injection itself, though the flu shot hurt a little bit more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I will also say-this level of symptoms makes an annual shot no big deal, if that ends up being recommended. 

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, I don't even have a headache--which I had for both the previous shots. Or the fatigue. Only symptom is a little bit of arm soreness, like I usually get with any shot. I could hardly feel the injection itself, though the flu shot hurt a little bit more.

If this holds true for most people, that would be great news!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

People who have certain immune compromising medical conditions or are on certain immune suppressing medications (see the list I posted earlier) need a third dose. Instead of the initial two dose series, the people who meet that criteria need an initial series of three doses. That's true whether it's Pfizer or Moderna. The official recommendation is to get the entire series of doses from the same manufacturer, but if you can't get the same one for the third dose it's okay to mix and match. That means for Pfizer you'd get the initial dose, the second one three weeks later and a third one at least four weeks after the second dose.

Oh wow, lots of people qualify for the 2 doses and the booster.  

COPD

Asthma

Cystic Fibrosis

Pulmonary Hypertension

Dementia and other Neurological conditions

Diabetes

Down Syndrome

Heart Conditions

weakened immune system

Liver Disease

BMI over 25

Pregnancy

Smoker

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, lots of people qualify for the 2 doses and the booster.  

COPD

Asthma

Cystic Fibrosis

Pulmonary Hypertension

Dementia and other Neurological conditions

Diabetes

Down Syndrome

Heart Conditions

weakened immune system

Liver Disease

BMI over 25

Pregnancy

Smoker

They include hypertension under heart conditions as well, so that’s a ton of people. And BMI over 25 I saw something today that that’s something like 70 something percent of adults in the US.

• Like 6