Menu

what's your favorite aquarium to visit. Penguin exhibit is a must

lynn

• lynn changed the title to what's your favorite aquarium to visit. Penguin exhibit is a must

We went to the Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg recently.  It was fun and the penguins were adorable.  They had tags with their names on them and you could buy art made by the penguins (each said which penguin made it) in the gift shop.  There’s a couple different deals you can get that include the aquarium and one or more other attractions if you have time.  I highly recommend the Skylift Park.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

California Academy of Sciences penguin page and penguin cam https://www.calacademy.org/learn-explore/animal-webcams/live-penguin-cams

The admission tickets are pricey though 

We went to the California Academy of Sciences a few years ago with dd11 and dd13.  (I think they were 9 and 11 at the time.)  They loved the penguins and still occasionally ask to look at the live penguin cam.

The food was horrendously expensive and we would have eaten elsewhere if we had known.

However, we loved this museum because it was everything in one building -- a science museum, an aquarium, a rainforest exhibit.  (ETA: and a planetarium!) It was a great stop for us because we were able to do quite a few things all in one stop.  (We also visited a nearby carousel which was a lot of fun.)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Might be out of your way, but there's a really good one in Seward, Alaska. Worth the drive, hahaha. https://www.alaska.org/detail/alaska-sealife-center

Alaskan here...I like the SeaLife Center but it is fairly small. Worth a visit if one is in Alaska for other reasons 🙂 And definitely no penguins.

I think the aquarium in Atlanta has penguins. It's a good one. I like Baltimore too, but have not been there in years.

My first aquarium visit was in Monterey, so I was a bit spoiled.  It's very nice.  The National Aquarium in Baltimore is pretty great too, but no penguins.  The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore has a wonderful African penguin exhibit.  You could hit both in a day, if you do the aquarium from 9-12, have lunch for 30 minutes, drive to the zoo, and stay there from 1-4.

ETA:  You do NOT have to do the whole Penguin Encounters thing to get a really good look at the penguins.  You can do that with a regular zoo admission.  Also, since it's a conservation program is seems more ethical than some penguin exhibits.

Edited by KungFuPanda

8 hours ago, Junie said:

We went to the California Academy of Sciences a few years ago with dd11 and dd13.  (I think they were 9 and 11 at the time.)  They loved the penguins and still occasionally ask to look at the live penguin cam.

The food was horrendously expensive and we would have eaten elsewhere if we had known.

… (We also visited a nearby carousel which was a lot of fun.)

Near the carousel was where we would park for free parking. We were aware of how expensive the food was going to be, besides my picky eaters rather have Panda Express. We first went when they opened at their current location in 2008.  DS15 is a penguin lover. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

Audubon Aquarium is rated in the top ten in the states. It has a penguin exhibit with two posted feeding times each day, and you can pay extra (a lot of extra) to get a backstage Penguin Pass. 

Anyone who loves the penguins will probably also love the otters! The seahorses are fascinating, and the jellyfish are pretty cool as well. 

Are we supposed to be visiting New Orleans now?

9 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

The Chattanooga Aquarium has penguins.

I love that one because it's originally building actually has a great theme- Tennessee River- from its start as a small streams to a big river with lakes, to part of the Mississippi to part of  the Gulf.  I also love the aquarium in Albuquerque because it also has this theme mainly- except with the Rio Grande.   If there are any other similar aquariums anywhere- I would love to know about them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MercyA said:

Any aquarium without captive marine mammals. Whales and dolphins shouldn't be forced to live in concrete cells. (I'm looking at you, Shedd Aquarium. Boo!)

The Smokies one mentioned in this thread has mermaids. I'm pretty sure they're free range, though, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monterey is the best one I've ever seen, and definitely worth a bit of drive if you're out west.  I've heard fantastic things about the Atlanta aquarium too, but haven't seen it myself.  

If you're in the vicinity of Salt Lake City, Living Planet is worth going to see.  It's really more museum than aquarium, but they do have a sweet little penguin exhibit in the basement.