Menu

Gabby Petito

Scarlett

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s been a long time since I read her story but I think she was kidnapped shortly after everyone went to bed and not found missing until morning. She’d been hiking for hours at that point and was kept in a tent in the mountains outside time for a long time.  So it likely wouldn’t have mattered. 

I just looked it up: Elizabeth actually shared a room with her younger sister (9 years old at the time), who witnessed the abduction but pretended to be asleep because she was scared. The sister tried to alert her parents right away, but ended up hiding for a couple of hours when she thought she had been seen by the kidnappers. Elizabeth was discovered to be missing at about 4:00 am, probably two or three hours after she was taken.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I have. It was all over the news. If I remember correctly, legislation was even proposed and named after her.

You lived near the abduction site then.....as did I.  I have friends who know the family personally.  But I am wondering if the board at large knows who she is without googling.  

• Like 1

The boyfriend is the usual suspect, but sometimes it's really not him. I remember the case of Chandra Levy where everyone assumed Gary Condit (a sitting Congressman so this case blew up headlines for a loooonnngggg time) had murdered her even though he had an iron clad alibi. He was married and they were having an affair. Then a year later her body was found in Rock Creek Park and it turned out she was one of the victims of a serial killer who preyed on women joggers. 

Here's the wiki if you'd like to read up on the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Levy

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

The boyfriend is the usual suspect, but sometimes it's really not him. I remember the case of Chandra Levy where everyone assumed Gary Condit (a sitting Congressman so this case blew up headlines for a loooonnngggg time) had murdered her even though he had an iron clad alibi. He was married and they were having an affair. Then a year later her body was found in Rock Creek Park and it turned out she was one of the victims of a serial killer who preyed on women joggers. 

Here's the wiki if you'd like to read up on the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Levy

I remember that well.  It is true it is not always the boyfriend.  He didn't help himself much though by continue to lie and sneak around trying to hide evidence of the affair after she went missing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

It’s been a long time since I read her story but I think she was kidnapped shortly after everyone went to bed and not found missing until morning. She’d been hiking for hours at that point and was kept in a tent in the mountains outside time for a long time.  So it likely wouldn’t have mattered. 

She heard the search parties calling for her - but was afraid to respond.  If they'd been looking earlier, it's possible they wouldn't have gotten as far from the house as they did.  Remember - they were on foot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I remember that well.  It is true it is not always the boyfriend.  He didn't help himself much though by continue to lie and sneak around trying to hide evidence of the affair after she went missing.

Yes, but it's a good example of how people don't act the way that they should act or that we expect them to act. People do dumb and irrational things all of the time and actually are probably more likely to do dumb things when they're under stress. 

On my Youtube recommend page, there are 3 videos about this from yesterday. All from drama channels that will make money for every view. It's just...yuck. 

I get dragged into this stuff too. I watched a few videos about Josh Duggar after he got arrested. I lurked at Free Jinger too. But just...yuck! It was all, a cousin of so and so told me this and maybe Anna thinks that it's Biden. So much gossip and such a tragic story for everyone involved. 

4 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yes, but it's a good example of how people don't act the way that they should act or that we expect them to act. People do dumb and irrational things all of the time and actually are probably more likely to do dumb things when they're under stress. 

On my Youtube recommend page, there are 3 videos about this from yesterday. All from drama channels that will make money for every view. It's just...yuck. 

I get dragged into this stuff too. I watched a few videos about Josh Duggar after he got arrested. I lurked at Free Jinger too. But just...yuck! It was all, a cousin of so and so told me this and maybe Anna thinks that it's Biden. So much gossip and such a tragic story for everyone involved. 

Ugh. Profiting from voyeurism. Reading here, I’m often glad that I don’t consume SM or even YouTube videos, aside from what I read here. Yuck. I kept up with news outlets - big fan of actual journalism school graduates here, not random online personalities.

I did get interested in the story early last week. I traveled/camped in those areas with my college roommate/close friend/later fieldwork tentmate. She was killed two years ago by her longtime travel companion (they were semi-nomadic filmmakers, lived on the road mostly, almost always camping). So the story, at first, had an eerie familiar feeling. My lifelong friend was not white, not blonde, not the stuff of which great stories are made apparently. Her story was reported very briefly.

I do think it’s interesting that the online attention did, apparently, help lead the FBI to the area. That part is a positive, and I hope it helps her family find peace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Ugh. Profiting from voyeurism. Reading here, I’m often glad that I don’t consume SM or even YouTube videos, aside from what I read here. Yuck. I kept up with news outlets - big fan of actual journalism school graduates here, not random online personalities.

I did get interested in the story early last week. I traveled/camped in those areas with my college roommate/close friend/later fieldwork tentmate. She was killed two years ago by her longtime travel companion (they were semi-nomadic filmmakers, lived on the road mostly, almost always camping). So the story, at first, had an eerie familiar feeling. My lifelong friend was not white, not blonde, not the stuff of which great stories are made apparently. Her story was reported very briefly.

I do think it’s interesting that the online attention did, apparently, help lead the FBI to the area. That part is a positive, and I hope it helps her family find peace.

I am so very sorry about your friend!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Faith-manor said:

I am so very sorry about your friend!

Thank you. She was an amazing person. We were friends for 30 years, and we were not finished. I miss her.

The man who killed my friend died by suicide shortly after. In some ways, I think it’s made moving forward easier though it left a lot of questions. I have a suspicion that BL may be heading that direction as well.

I don’t know what would help the Petito family, but I hope that BL is found, one way or another, and the Petito family gets the answers they need.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

The FBI has hauled his parents in for questioning, and are searching the house.  

I'm skeptical the parents really thought he was "just" going off to his favorite camping spot.  (assuming that story was true- and not their contribution to a cover-up.) They *knew* his girlfriend had disappeared, and they had to have realized he would be the prime suspect.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

The FBI has hauled his parents in for questioning, and are searching the house.  

I'm skeptical the parents really thought he was "just" going off to his favorite camping spot.  (assuming that story was true- and not their contribution to a cover-up.) They *knew* his girlfriend had disappeared, and they had to have realized he would be the prime suspect.

I think my worst suspicions when I think about them is that they may have deliberately mislead police and he is in Mexico, or Brazil, or wherever there isn't an extradition treaty by now that he could get to given covid restrictions. I hope not. But this thing in my gut keeps niggling at me that his parents may be very bad people. Sigh.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I think my worst suspicions when I think about them is that they may have deliberately mislead police and he is in Mexico, or Brazil, or wherever there isn't an extradition treaty by now that he could get to given covid restrictions. I hope not. But this thing in my gut keeps niggling at me that his parents may be very bad people. Sigh.

I have been thinking this too.  If he is alive,  they helped him get away.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

You lived near the abduction site then.....as did I.  I have friends who know the family personally.  But I am wondering if the board at large knows who she is without googling.  

No, and I don't remember this story.  I do remember the Renisha Rudd-- but she isn't missing as much as her body is missing just as Gabby wasn't missing, her body was missing.

18 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Kind of like the Murtaugh family in the Carolina's.  I think there was a thread on that one too.  Some of the family was murdered a few months ago.  Then it turned out that there were two suspicious deaths possibly linked to this family that happened within the last five or ten years.  Then Dad, who wasn't killed, was shot but survived.  Then the gunman was caught who shot the Dad and Dad has now confessed to arranging his own shooting so that his surviving son could get a 5 million dollar life insurance policy--so Dad is now under arrest and probably covered up his sons' or his own running down of a pedestrian and the boating accident death too.  

26 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

You think the US lacks extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

They will still extradite if the death penalty isn't sought.  (and possibly life in prison.) 

years ago - the son of a local company owner burned down the warehouse to collect the insurance money.  (his elderly parents didn't know).  Four firefighters were killed when the floor collapsed under them.   He fled to Brazil.  It took a few years - but he was eventually extradited back to our state after felony murder charges were dropped (he pled guilty to manslaughter and served 23 years of a 35 year sentence.).   Now he wants to change his name.  He still owes $3M to the court. (which he's trying to get out of paying.)

I'm sure his parents were lying for him - they came out and claimed he was missing mere hours AFTER it was announced a body had been found.  (hopefully her body isn't so badly decomposed - due to the heat - that they can't determine a cause of death.)  I think the FBI doesn't believe the parent's story either.  They stopped searching the preserve they claimed he went to.

• Like 1

This is not confirmed through anything official at all, but there’s someone on Twitter in Alabama who said the cops came in and took the video from his store.  Apparently someone that used to work at Walmart with Brian admitted giving Brian a ride to a small town near Mobile and cops were grabbing all security footage they could.  My guess is they saw evidence to that effect and that’s why local searches stopped. But this was linked through Reddit and not confirmed so idk if it’s true or not. 

• Like 1

And since GP’s body was only found yesterday BL’s parents obviously DID NOT report him missing after the fact. That’s incorrect. And I seriously doubt the death penalty will apply since it is a federal case.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Her sister woke her parents to tell them in the middle of the night.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

And since GP’s body was only found yesterday BL’s parents obviously DID NOT report him missing after the fact. That’s incorrect. And I seriously doubt the death penalty will apply since it is a federal case.  

"A" body was found last week in the Spreadcreek campground area of WY.  There is a picture of the van taken by another couple in that location at the time she stopped communicating with her mom.  His parents announced him missing (since tuesday) after it was announced "A" body had been found on Friday.

Yesterday the body was confirmed to be hers.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinball said:

I've asked you five or six times why you are so rude to people on this forum. 

Here's how you could phrased this in a much less rude and threatening manner. 

"Are you sure the US does not have extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?"

See how much nicer that is? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

1 hour ago, pinball said:

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've asked you five or six times why you are so rude to people on this forum. 

Here's how you could phrased this in a much less rude and threatening manner. 

"Are you sure the US does not have extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?"

See how much nicer that is? 

First, I’ll let you review what the post I quoted said. 
Now, with that in mind…it is not clear based on the phrasing if the post is saying that the US does not have extradition treaties with those countries so that is why is I asked: 

“you think the US lacks extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?”

which is a completely different question than:

”"Are you sure the US does not have extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?"” which assumes things not clear in the post.

As for my question being rude and threatening….that is ridiculous . That is YOU projecting.

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

Remember when Elizabeth Smart went missing and instead of looking for her they spent ours an hours just questioning the dad and her older brothers? I wonder if they would’ve found her if they would’ve gone looking for her right away.

The fact that a police department can’t multitask is the most concerning part of that to me.

Hold me for days! I don’t really care, so long as you’re also looking for my kid!

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

"A" body was found last week in the Spreadcreek campground area of WY.  There is a picture of the van taken by another couple in that location at the time she stopped communicating with her mom.  His parents announced him missing (since tuesday) after it was announced "A" body had been found on Friday.

Do you have any proof of this because its directly the opposite of what every single verified piece of news I have seen from the FBI or any other reputable news source.  And you've repeatedly posted false information in this thread, so I suspect you did not hear this from a credible source. Please link your sources.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, pinball said:

First, I’ll let you review what the post I quoted said. 
Now, with that in mind…it is not clear based on the phrasing if the post is saying that the US does not have extradition treaties with those countries so that is why is I asked: 

“you think the US lacks extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?”

which is a completely different question than:

”"Are you sure the US does not have extradition treaties with Mexico and Brazil?"” which assumes things not clear in the post.

As for my question being rude and threatening….that is ridiculous . That is YOU projecting.

Shrug...oh well, I tried. Carry on with the same way of interacting with people on this forum if you like how that's working out for you. 

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

No, and I don't remember this story.  I do remember the Renisha Rudd-- but she isn't missing as much as her body is missing just as Gabby wasn't missing, her body was missing.

I disagree. There was always a possibility, however small, that she was trafficked by her abductor. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-mom-destini-smothers-crusade-for-justice-20210705-w65l657cqfcmzbn3qzlhhvgtn4-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Female victim…check.

Intimate partner last seen with victim…check.

Suspicious partner behavior…check.

Reported missing by parents…check.

Suspect not talking to police…check.

Suspect gone missing…check.

If sleuthing is your calling, there are lots of families that need answers.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 8

16 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

Relisha Rudd. Her story haunts me. What if there had been this attention? This outpouring of attention, sleuthing, focus. What if it had been put toward her case?  So sad. 

The Relisha Rudd case actually had quite a lot of national attention and quite a lot of sleuthing in the true crime communities, and a decent amount of that continues to this day, seven years later. It was not a case that flew under the radar by any means. It may not have been quite as hyped as the Petito case, but there are key differences between them. 

Relisha was not reported missing for 18 days and the main suspect (almost certain perp) committed suicide as soon as she was. There was a minute or two of haunting video footage that showed Relisha in a hotel hallway with the suspect, and that was certainly viewed by many, but everyone already knew she was with him. There was no wondering how he got the little girl; he knew her and her mom let her go with him. Nobody needed to look for the suspect; he was dead. Nobody needed to figure out the most likely place to look for a possible body; the police knew exactly where he was after spending the night with her and then buying trash bags and such, they just didn't find anything. And there just wasn't much 'evidence' or information beyond that to focus on. 

Contrast that to the Petito case, which had an overabundance of information, and which was happening almost in real time. Lengthy body cam footage that showed both of them and had clear audio of them talking and explaining the big fight. Text messages. Social media posts. Photographs. Sightings. The proximity of time and place to the lesbian newlywed murders. Police did need to figure out the most likely places to look for a body, and they did need to figure out where the suspect might be. And while there were true crime online communities in 2014, the podcasts, YouTube vids, and TiKToks that reach larger numbers of people have exploded since then (Making a Murderer came out in 2015). 

I'm not saying that who the victim is never plays a role in coverage, I just don't think these two cases are a valid comparison or a good example of that. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-mom-destini-smothers-crusade-for-justice-20210705-w65l657cqfcmzbn3qzlhhvgtn4-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Female victim…check.

Intimate partner last seen with victim…check.

Suspicious partner behavior…check.

Reported missing by parents…check.

Suspect not talking to police…check.

Suspect gone missing…check.

If sleuthing is your calling, there are lots of families that need answers.

This is horrific. It hurts so much that our system is just epically failing on so many levels for so many people.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This is horrific. It hurts so much that our system is just epically failing on so many levels for so many people.

Intimate partner/domestic violence and child abuse is a scourge. Period. It doesn’t seem to get the same attention with all victims tho and, IMHO, that’s absolutely worth considering. I’m not suggesting that this woman’s killer shouldn’t be found or investigated. Every family deserves justice. We need to take all victims and forms of abuse more seriously and support all families like this. We don’t. I don’t think that’s a personal flaw but a systemic one in terms of which lives are publicized or not (valued/discounted) for reasons of relative wealth/poverty, race, social status, etc. It’s both sad and entirely predictable. This case just isn’t that special.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Intimate partner/domestic violence and child abuse is a scourge. Period. It doesn’t seem to get the same attention with all victims tho and, IMHO, that’s absolutely worth considering. I’m not suggesting that this woman’s killer shouldn’t be found or investigated. Every family deserves justice. We need to take all victims and forms of abuse more seriously and support all families like this. We don’t. I don’t think that’s a personal flaw but a systemic one in terms of which lives are publicized or not (valued/discounted) for reasons of relative wealth/poverty, race, social status, etc. It’s both sad and entirely predictable. This case just isn’t that special.

We need to teach kids about abusive relationships and what the red flags are, and what a healthy relationship looks like, and how to listen to your intuition.  And how to recognize different forms of personality disorders.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

We need to teach kids about abusive relationships and what the red flags are, and what a healthy relationship looks like, and how to listen to your intuition.  And how to recognize different forms of personality disorders.

Couldn’t agree more.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katy said:

Do you have any proof of this because its directly the opposite of what every single verified piece of news I have seen from the FBI or any other reputable news source.  And you've repeatedly posted false information in this thread, so I suspect you did not hear this from a credible source. Please link your sources.

Yeah I think the body was found yesterday.

Just now, Scarlett said:

Yeah I think the body was found yesterday.

Yeah, reporters at the scene tweeted that the coroner arrived on scene and the dogs left.  A local news helicopter flew above and got shots of them putting up a canopy over the body. 20 minutes later the FBI confirmed it had found a body and there would be a press conference in 45 minutes.  They announced they found her.   All after 2pm mountain time yesterday.  I just re-watched a clip of the FBI press conference.  He said they had just found her that day.

Temps have been ranging from the low 20's to the low 70's over the last three weeks and she was a tiny woman with distinctive tattoos and long blonde hair.  It was probably relatively easy to confirm it's likely her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Multiple people on Twitter claim Brian was in Mobile yesterday.

It concerns me that all of this being reported real time on social media is going to make it easier for him to evade police. If this was being reported only to police and not shared, he would likely be a lot more careless because he wouldn’t know that anybody knew he was there. Without all the social media sharing of this stuff, all he would know was that the police had called off their search for him in the Everglades or wherever it was (I haven’t been following this closely). Seems this just will send him on the run more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KSera said:

It concerns me that all of this being reported real time on social media is going to make it easier for him to evade police. If this was being reported only to police and not shared, he would likely be a lot more careless because he wouldn’t know that anybody knew he was there. Without all the social media sharing of this stuff, all he would know was that the police had called off their search for him in the Everglades or wherever it was (I haven’t been following this closely). Seems this just will send him on the run more. 

Probably a mixed bag.  They may not have ever found her without social media. And criminals have long used police scanners, which are now a simple and free phone app.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I worry about someone doing something stupid. Since this is playing out in real time on SM, there are probably people tracking him. What if someone shoots him? 

Or worse, what if someone hurts an innocent person who is mistaken for Landrie. 

I'm going to date myself here but I remember watching OJ on live TV fleeing the LAPD. That seemed so surreal at the time which sounds rather quaint now. 

Edited by Ordinary Shoes

5 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

I disagree. There was always a possibility, however small, that she was trafficked by her abductor. 

Super, super, super unlikely. The father abducted the mother and killed her and then went to Rock Creek Park and killed himself.  First of all, that is typical behavior of males killing entire family and then themselves.  Those perps don't sell as anyone into child trafficking.  Those murder-suicides have nothing to do w trafficking.  

Kids sold into trafficking are sold by addicts and/or child abusers who want other children.  Not by men murdering their families and then themselves.

Also,child trafficking, especially of very young children, is quite rare.  Most trafficking is teens when get themselves into the problem and can't get out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

No. The body was found yestsrday. And it wasn't just a pic of the van, but rather a long video taken it 6pm on the 27th. His parents announced him missing prior to yesterday's discovery of a body 900 feet or so from where the van was parked on the 27th

6 hours ago, Katy said:

No, your timeline is correct

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Katy said:

And there’s another rumor that he accidentally went live on Instagram for 2 seconds this morning from a boat. Which may or may not be in Puerto Rico.

Well, I know Reddit is just a 100,000 opinions, but I read several times that that didn't happen. I think the mods there have been amazing at keeping the kooks at bay, and even the posters are clamping down on the fringe weirdos. It's actually a fairly empathetic , extremely  large group of decent people in the one I have been following.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Well, I know Reddit is just a 100,000 opinions, but I read several times that that didn't happen. I think the mods there have been amazing at keeping the kooks at bay, and even the posters are clamping down on the fringe weirdos. It's actually a fairly empathetic , extremely  large group of decent people in the one I have been following.

I don’t really understand Reddit.     How do you find a decent thread full of not kooks?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t really understand Reddit.     How do you find a decent thread full of not kooks?

Subreddits are like the different boards here on the forums, but members can add subreddits on their own, and each one has its own moderation rules and vibe. There are general true crime subreddits, but widely discussed cases like this one will have a subreddit of their own. Then each subreddit will have multiple threads. 

You just look up a topic to find a subreddit, and read a bit to see if you think it's a good one. 

• Like 1