Menu

Gabby Petito

Scarlett

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

They are saying the Moab murders are definitely not connected……I wonder how they know.

I saw something on Reddit that someone lives in the area and there has been a problem with women being murdered or going missing for a few years and they wonder if there's a serial killer in the area that hasn't been announced yet. Maybe they have evidence of that, or evidence that BL was seen in Idaho when the women were killed in Moab.

• Like 1

So after scrolling through Reddit I agree with @Scarlett.  He killed her.  He went to the showers to throw out clothes and wash away evidence and then tried to hitchhike in the opposite direction to establish an alibi.  When he realized they were driving South toward her body instead of North (away), he freaked out & demanded to be let out.  If I was her dad I’d hike the Snake River South from the showers.

• Like 1

His family called the police yesterday wanting their help to find their son who they haven’t seen since Tuesday.  They waited to call until Friday (I think night, so right before the weekend) and they had lawyered up for their son when the police originally wanted to talk to him.  I can understand wanting to protect your child but this is just beyond. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Did anyone hear that BL flew back to  FL before Gabby went missing?

Yes, it's in Reddit, but I don't think it's been confirmed.  Apparently he needed to clear out a storage unit with their stuff.  Her dad had a pizza delivered to her while Brian was gone.

This is odd.  I'm certain the FBI had access to their phone information from within hours of requesting it.  I wonder if they're sharing this now just to make Brian freak out and do something stupid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GabbyPetito/comments/pqqszo/police_now_have_access_to_gabby_and_brians_phones/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

So my time line if I have it right….

August 12 incident in Moab where police were called

August 13 murdered Moab women last seen at a bar 

August 17-23 BL flys back to FL

August 24 he and Gabby check  out of the hotel he left her at.  In SLC

August 25 last contact with Gabby ( FaceTime with her mom) Or was last FT the 24? 

August 27 van spotted in Grand Tetons / edited to say I was pretty sure the video posted above said the van was spotted on the 27th at 6-6:30 pm. I just read a yahoo news story that sets it was 5 pm on the 25. Soooo??? Second edit this story indicates it was spotted on the 27. https://jacksonholeradio.com/2021/09/searchers-investigating-spread-creek-in-petito-search/

August 29 tic tok lady gives BL a ride near Coltor Bay 10 miles from Jackson Hole.  

Obviously Grand Tetons is huge…I don’t have a good sense of how far it is from where Tic Tok lady picked him up to where the van was spotted (2 days earlier)

Edited by Scarlett
Was the van seen on the 25 or 27?

Chances are he hitchhiked, showered, and claimed he’d been hiking to establish an alibi. 

ETA:  if filled with adrenaline he may have ran it. Easily doable for someone young & thin and in good shape. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am also confused why he freaked out on TicTok  lady when he realized they were going toward Jackson Hole. That was toward the van, which obviously he did get back to in time to get to his parents house in Fl by 9-1. Why did he insist they stop and let him out? 

My guess? He was talking to them & offered so much money to be memorable & establish an alibi. But something about them going to the same place as he was (Jackson) made him doubt his ability to lie convincingly.  So he freaked, got the van, and went home knowing the cops in his family knew the good lawyers in town.  I bet they were fighting, he wanted to go home, she got in his face, he pushed her away, and she fell & died somehow.  Or he thought she was dead.  He realized no matter what no one would believe it was an accident and freaked out. 

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

My guess? He was talking to them & offered so much money to be memorable & establish an alibi. But something about them going to the same place as he was (Jackson) made him doubt his ability to lie convincingly.  So he freaked, got the van, and went home knowing the cops in his family knew the good lawyers in town.  I bet they were fighting, he wanted to go home, she got in his face, he pushed her away, and she fell & died somehow.  Or he thought she was dead.  He realized no matter what no one would believe it was an accident and freaked out. 

Maybe. It does sound like he was trying to establish an alibi… he mentioned his fiancé was back at the van working on her social media.  And that he had been hiking for a couple of days along snake creek. I would think that was his plan if he intended to get back to the van and ‘find’  her missing or dead. But he just drives home to FL. Very fractured it seems. 

31 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Is there any verification of the TikTok video? 

The way this is playing out online makes me uncomfortable. No one has any real information but people seem to trust what they read on Reddit or see on Youtube or TikTok. 

Why not let the cops do their jobs? 

There is a whole QAnon vibe to all of this, IMHO. 

Really?  I don’t see that at all. Police are verifying that they have spoke to these various people.And the steps that follow pretty much verify that. 
Like it or not cameras and social media solve a lot of crimes.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The way this is playing out online makes me uncomfortable. No one has any real information but people seem to trust what they read on Reddit or see on Youtube or TikTok. 

LOL

QAnon = everything I don’t like that I want to try to humiliate people into stop talking about

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I agree.  I think it's always a bit weird how both the media and the public become obsessed with certain missing persons or criminal cases.  Especially if they are good looking, white, and have some wealth.  Over 300,000 young people were reported missing last year.  This kind of situation isn't super unusual actually (young people with dramatic break ups, mental health crises possible runaway, etc).  Could it be more sinister?  Maybe, but again if there were evidence now someone would be in custody.  A lot of the info in circulation is unconfirmed and internet gossip.  

I hope this young woman is ok.  Of course it is worrisome to her family.  The speculation and assumed guilt is odd to me.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I agree.  I think it's always a bit weird how both the media and the public become obsessed with certain missing persons or criminal cases.  Especially if they are good looking, white, and have some wealth.  Over 300,000 young people were reported missing last year.  This kind of situation isn't super unusual actually (young people with dramatic break ups, mental health crises possible runaway, etc).  Could it be more sinister?  Maybe, but again if there were evidence now someone would be in custody.  A lot of the info in circulation is unconfirmed and internet gossip.  

I hope this young woman is ok.  Of course it is worrisome to her family.  The speculation and assumed guilt is odd to me.

Um…have you even read about it at all? Your post reminds me of the Scott Peterson defenders. It was pretty clear from the beginning he killed his wife snd unborn child. But so many people jumped on the band wagon if his innocence 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I like TrueCrime as much as everyone else but this is voyeuristic. There are videos of people going through each of her cell phone messages in Youtube videos. Is that about finding Gabby or entertainment? 

Why do people assume that the cops wouldn't be doing the same thing? 

The QAnon connection is that people like to solve puzzles. There's a kind of camaraderie developed online. I see the same thing with FreeBritney (which I support, BTW). It's creepy. People start believing in conspiracies and social media amplifies it. Everyone is vulnerable to conspiracy thinking. What I've seen with FreeyBritney is that people start believing that the judge has been paid off. And then it's not just the judge who was paid off but the entire legal system and all of the reporters too. These kinds of movements seem to develop those tendencies. 

No conspiracy in my mind. Just plain old murder and his parents initially protecting him. I don’t think they are now. But anyway, of course people like to solve puzzles. And without the people who came forward with their pieces the cops would not even know where to begin looking. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Um... she didn't defend him. 

Here's the thing - nothing is clear. What you think is clear isn't clear. We don't have evidence. 

More than likely, he did it just like Scott Peterson did it. But none of us are capable of discerning the truth based on things we've read or watched online. 

Do you think I actually want to see him convicted based on my opinions? Good grief. 

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Um…have you even read about it at all? Your post reminds me of the Scott Peterson defenders. It was pretty clear from the beginning he killed his wife snd unborn child. But so many people jumped on the band wagon if his innocence 

I'm not jumping on an innocence band wagon.  I always jump on the due process, don't get sucked into internet speculation and drama bandwagon.  That was a completely inappropriate comparison.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Coming forward to law enforcement isn't the same thing as coming forward on on social media. 

ITA. I do believe young people see it as one and the same tho b/c *PUBLIC*. I think I prefer to stick to the *solved* mysteries on the ID network.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

Scarlett, I think you and I are similar -following a story, speculating about what might have happened, and pondering why things happened. We’ve been doing the same thing w the Josh Duggar case, and I’d be doing the same w the Murdaugh case(s)  if anyone was interested.  I think it’s a combo of enjoying true crime stories and interested in  why people act the way they do.  It doesn’t mean we are tossing due process out.  In this case I feel for both sets of parents, though probably not equally.  I felt bad for the couple when I saw the body cam footage because they clearly were struggling.  But things are changing with information being more readily available and able to be spread so quickly. We do have to be super careful about accepting info as truth. But of course we’ve already really learned that lesson with covid…so much misinformation and sometimes it’s difficult to sort out. 
It’s pretty fascinating how several podcasts have helped solve criminal cases, on both ends…finding the culprit and helping to exonerate someone wrongfully convicted.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Coming forward to law enforcement isn't the same thing as coming forward on on social media. 

Very true. The woman who says she picked him up might be mistaken about his identity, or she might be an attention seeker. Or she might be right. Gotta leave it to law enforcement to unravel that puzzle.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

ITA. I do believe young people see it as one and the same tho b/c *PUBLIC*. I think I prefer to stick to the *solved* mysteries on the ID network.

That may well be true.  But what someone decides to post on tiktok should definitely be taken with many grains of salt over what is released as facts of an active case in a press conference by investigators.  There is just no way to know if any of that is accurate.  It could be totally made up, it could be mistaken identity, who knows.  Lots of young people seem to crave their 10 minutes of fame on social media.  Including this young couple that is missing.

Good reminder to teach your kids what is and isn't appropriate to be posting on social media.  

• Like 5

They found a body in the search area.  There's a picture from a helicopter on fox news's twitter.  Body or gender hasn't been identified, but dogs were called away when the coroner came in and the FBI twitter page announced a press conference in 45 minutes at 4pm mtn time.

ETA: in Wyoming, in the camping area they were searching for Gabby.  Having grown up near Florida woods & swamp, if BL died in the swamp there would be vultures.  He’s hiding.  I seriously doubt anyone, even from New York, would hammock camp in a swamp in hurricane season. I have heard of suicides in the swamp but most were found in hours because of vultures. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

They found a body in the search area.  There's a picture from a helicopter on fox news's twitter.  Body or gender hasn't been identified, but dogs were called away when the coroner came in and the FBI twitter page announced a press conference in 45 minutes at 4pm mtn time.

His search area or hers?   I found it, hers. 

Edited by katilac
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I'm not jumping on an innocence band wagon.  I always jump on the due process, don't get sucked into internet speculation and drama bandwagon.  That was a completely inappropriate comparison.

I was not intending to direct it to you specifically  but I think it is a fair comparison.  At least Scott Peterson talked to the police and told some story about how she was fine when he left the house. BL has refused to talk to the police and to offer up any explanation as to why he returned alone in Gabby’s van.  

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Hopefully they were able to determine immediately if it is male or female.  

Well… it is likely her. Otherwise why would they announce a new press conference and call away the dogs? They have family to notify and an arrest warrant to file. 

• Sad 2

If you have reason to believe you are a suspect it is a bad idea to talk to police without a lawyer.  But I think it’s a very bad idea to never speak to police.  If you were a victim of crime and witnesses refused to speak to police you might feel very different about the ethics of this.

I’m so sorry for Gabby’s family and I hope more witnesses come forward. 

• Like 6

Ok- while partners are *frequently* guilty - that =/= always guilty.   (we had a case up here where the husband reported his wife missing, and instead of looking for her - they hauled him into the station to grill him.  for two days.  The were finally forced to release him and he went looking by himself.  Her car had gone off the (BUSY!!!) road into a heavily wooded ravine while she was driving home from work.  Her cell phone was out of her reach.  Fortunately - she was still alive.)

This guy is almost certainly guilty  - but the cops have hoops they have to jump through in trying to locate Gabby.   Especially if they find her body and the prosecutor files  murder charges against him.  

Someone took a picture of a guy out walking near BL's parents house (he drove past him three times before taking the picture, and was convinced it was BL) - mere hours before his parents reported not having seen him for three days.  Maybe it was him, and maybe it wasn't.   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Ok- while partners are *frequently* guilty - that =/= always guilty.   (we had a case up here where the husband reported his wife missing, and instead of looking for her - they hauled him into the station to grill him.  for two days.  The were finally forced to release him and he went looking by himself.  Her car had gone off the (BUSY!!!) road into a heavily wooded ravine while she was driving home from work.  Her cell phone was out of her reach.  Fortunately - she was still alive.)

This guy is almost certainly guilty  - but the cops have hoops they have to jump through in trying to locate Gabby.   Especially if they find her body and the prosecutor files  murder charges against him.  

Someone took a picture of a guy out walking near BL's parents house (he drove past him three times before taking the picture, and was convinced it was BL) - mere hours before his parents reported not having seen him for three days.  Maybe it was him, and maybe it wasn't.   

Police said it wasn’t him, the tattoos didn’t match 

• Like 1