Menu

Dd - Covid exposure - what to suggest?

Melissa Louise

Her partner has been exposed at work - unmasked close contact tested positive.

Obviously she will be getting tested tomorrow. 

She takes Vit C, B12, D and zinc already. 

Small flat, limited ability to isolate from partner at home. 

What, if anything, can I suggest? 

She's had one jab, second isn't due for a month (AZ). 

My brain is freaking out a bit, though I'm being super calm on the phone to her (she is in another state). 

• Sad 4

Can they put partner in a bedroom with a window either opened or cracked a bit, with a fan blowing out the window? That will create negative pressure room. Then if she has to come out to use the bathroom, mask. If there is an exhaust fat that vents outdoors or in attic or whatever, run that while in the bathroom and for a while after. 

And tell DD and partner to get good sleep, drink plenty of fluids, maybe meditate if need be to reduce stress - all things that if lacking an make you more vulnerable to illness in general. 

• Like 5

I would have her open windows and consider wearing a mask for the next few days. ( Is partner or dd getting tested tomorrow?)If partner does test positive is there anyway they can isolate at all? Dh has a break through case this summer and didn’t isolate until he ran a fever and no one else, including unvaccinated dd, who sits next to him at dinner (and did an hour before his fever) got it. So, even though folks say you are very contagious before symptoms, I think if your dd takes precautions now, it would help  

Continue to manage your own anxiety—even if dd gets it, the odds are overwhelming at her age that she will be fine—and be a non -anxious presence. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, freesia said:

I would have her open windows and consider wearing a mask for the next few days. ( Is partner or dd getting tested tomorrow?)If partner does test positive is there anyway they can isolate at all? Dh has a break through case this summer and didn’t isolate until he ran a fever and no one else, including unvaccinated dd, who sits next to him at dinner (and did an hour before his fever) got it. So, even though folks say you are very contagious before symptoms, I think if your dd takes precautions now, it would help  

Continue to manage your own anxiety—even if dd gets it, the odds are overwhelming at her age that she will be fine—and be a non -anxious presence. 

Yes, they are both getting tested. 

Idk about isolating - it's a one bedroom flat. Dd could sleep on the sofa, I guess. 

I can get a fan delivered to them, and I talked to dd about viral load, and masking indoors. 

I'm kicking myself that I didn't get them an air purifier earlier. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Yes, they are both getting tested. 

Idk about isolating - it's a one bedroom flat. Dd could sleep on the sofa, I guess. 

I can get a fan delivered to them, and I talked to dd about viral load, and masking indoors. 

I'm kicking myself that I didn't get them an air purifier earlier. 

Yup, DD sleeps on sofa, or on the floor, whatever. Partener opens window in the bedroom a bit and faces fan to blow out the window. That way air is not going back out under the door to where DD is. Honestly, that is likely way more helpful than an air purifier. Both should mask when in the bathroom. If there is a fan/window/something in the bathroom do what can be done in there, and be quick in and out when possible. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does she have access to a pulse oximeter?  Monitoring seems like a good idea if she does test positive. I hope she’s doing OK.

Nope. Mine just arrived; I can express post it to her.

She's...well...she has health anxiety at the best of times. Long phone call, much sobbing. 

They are so careful, but partner works in a childcare centre, and they are not allowed to mask at work. 

My school just closed due to Covid - email just now - member of staff tested positive. 

I'm scared and trying not to be. 

• Sad 9

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

Nope. Mine just arrived; I can express post it to her.

She's...well...she has health anxiety at the best of times. Long phone call, much sobbing. 

They are so careful, but partner works in a childcare centre, and they are not allowed to mask at work. 

My school just closed due to Covid - email just now - member of staff tested positive. 

I'm scared and trying not to be. 

Yeah, that’s all sounding really a bit too close to home.
I hope you haven’t been exposed though I guess at least you are fully vaccinated, and I also hope that your dd and partner avoid catching it.

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Yeah, that’s all sounding really a bit too close to home.
I hope you haven’t been exposed though I guess at least you are fully vaccinated, and I also hope that your dd and partner avoid catching it.

I haven't been on site, thank goodness. So many schools have had to close over lockdown, I've got no idea how we are going to stay open in Term 4 with all the kids back. 

I just wish dd could have gotten her second shot. 

Thank you, fingers crossed. It's just rotten knowing I can't get to dd nor her to us. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good suggestions above. Is her partner vaxed? Is your dd in quarantine as well now, or is she able to go out and get things? Besides the bathroom fan (which I would run 24/7–it should exhaust to the outside and help replace inside air at least a tiny bit faster), putting a hepa filter on the back of a box fan can turn it into a highly effective air purifier. In the US, 20” is a standard size for both box fans and furnace filters, so they work together well. There are lots of instructions online for making them, if that is of interest. Does she have good masks? Are home tests available there? Those seem to be good at least for determining when someone is infectious. If her partner is testing negative on one of those right now, it should at least mean she’s not contagious at this point.

Im sorry for the stress and anxiety. I hope they both stay healthy!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Good suggestions above. Is her partner vaxed? Is your dd in quarantine as well now, or is she able to go out and get things? Besides the bathroom fan (which I would run 24/7–it should exhaust to the outside and help replace inside air at least a tiny bit faster), putting a hepa filter on the back of a box fan can turn it into a highly effective air purifier. In the US, 20” is a standard size for both box fans and furnace filters, so they work together well. There are lots of instructions online for making them, if that is of interest. Does she have good masks? Are home tests available there? Those seem to be good at least for determining when someone is infectious. If her partner is testing negative on one of those right now, it should at least mean she’s not contagious at this point.

You just want to be sure you are not creating a situation where air is now being sucked out of partner's room, into the main apartment, due to constant flow from a fan venting in the main apartment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

Her g/friend has had one vax also. 

I'm pretty sure they should both quarantine. 

Unfortunately, we can't buy home tests here. 

They have surgical masks. 

Ugh, I hardly slept at all last night. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Dd's test came back negative.

Waiting on her g/friends test. G/friend has to isolate 14 days anyway, and test again on day 13. 

At least they are now in separate rooms and masked. 

Hope her partner's test is negative too, and they can feel a bit safer. I'm sorry you can't get to her. That's got to be a scary feeling. Separate rooms and masks are good, though, and hooray for her negative test.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Huge hugs

sending positive thoughts your dd way

i am worried for your dd, but she does have youthfulness on her side.

in Victoria  they are finding that just about 100% of household members get it if one member does.

does she have somewhere  outdoors where she can sit or lay in the sun ? 

No, they are in a flat, and both of them are supposed to be isolating so going to the park or something isn't an option. She's taking Vit D though. 

G/friend doesn't have her test back yet. I'm hoping that's just random. 

I am worried about DD if she gets Covid. She's a tiny thing, and not incredibly robust. Plus she is in the last three weeks of her honours year, and getting sick will be a major derail 🙁

• Sad 2

We have found that elderberry syrup shortens the duration and severity of respiratory viruses in our family. We buy this kind, with added echinacea:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001C0EA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is likely quite safe for COVID patients:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33827515/

Praying for your DD and her partner.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

We have found that elderberry syrup shortens the duration and severity of respiratory viruses in our family. We buy this kind, with added echinacea:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001C0EA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is likely quite safe for COVID patients:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33827515/

Praying for your DD and her partner.

I remember reading here there was some advice about taking this - take before symptoms and then stop? - I can't remember. 

I take it for colds, and it is very helpful for stopping inflammation. 

49 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I remember reading here there was some advice about taking this - take before symptoms and then stop? - I can't remember. 

There is some evidence for it working in the chicken coronavirus.  I think it’s the one that can potentially increase cytokine storm

I did a quick search and found this which is a summary of the current evidence.

https://www.healthline.com/health/infection/elderberry-and-covid?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social-sharebar-referred-desktop#risks

I get sambucol - the one with zinc and vit c or the lozenges and do find it seems to help for colds - I’m not sure if it’s the sambucol or the zinc though that’s helping. 

• Like 1

It can be taken to strengthen immunity on a regular basis, or larger doses can be taken if one is already sick. The bottles usually have instructions for maintenance and intensive use. We try to take it when we or someone in our immediate family is sick. We take it until our symptoms are mostly gone. It is too expensive to take regularly, IMHO, unless you raise elderberries yourself!

• Like 2

G/friend and everyone else working in the same room has so far tested neg. 

Trying to impress on dd that she needs to continue to be very cautious. 

Test was day 3 after exposure, I think if they keep up masking/ventilating fir another week at least...

There is a lot of data showing that nasal hygiene (neti pot or even nasal sprays) and even gargles are helpful at reducing viral load.  That's a really easy, practical step one can take without a prescription.  It's an added layer to everything she is doing already.  It's something I do daily as a supplement to everything else, since I am around people on a daily basis, and all kinds of illness are popping up en masse.  (I suspect our immune systems are a bit out of practice with all the regular stuff.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

There is a lot of data showing that nasal hygiene (neti pot or even nasal sprays) and even gargles are helpful at reducing viral load.  That's a really easy, practical step one can take without a prescription.  It's an added layer to everything she is doing already.  It's something I do daily as a supplement to everything else, since I am around people on a daily basis, and all kinds of illness are popping up en masse.  (I suspect our immune systems are a bit out of practice with all the regular stuff.) 

Thanks, I'll suggest this. Can't hurt. 

• Like 1