Menu

At least one in 500 Americans is now dead of covid

Tanaqui

The impact is that if the average American knows 600 people (rough estimate from google) and can recognize by face about 1500 more people - people who walk their dogs when you do, or who take the same bus as you, or who buy groceries on the same schedule you do, you know, people you see but don't know - then every American is missing 4 people that they used to know or at least see every week.

• Sad 16

I personally know 11 people who have died of covid. Some I haven't seen for years, some quite elderly, but I knew them. Four others I know of because they were close relatives to people I know. And yet, the lies proliferate. Just this week, I saw a Facebook post from a friend that was all about the number of people who have died--from the vaccine. ??? (I don't know of anyone who has died of the vaccine.) It was an article she posted that had lots of replies on it about people who had died from it. I didn't read too far down the list, but one that did stick in my mind was someone's father had had the vaccine and died...three months later. Really? This whole thing is the craziest thing I have seen in my six decades. I fear where it will lead, this kind of thinking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 5

I personally only know a couple of people, and only people I didn't know well at all. But WaPo broke down the numbers along a bunch of demographics - age, race, and state. For people in my demographic (as they did the breakdown) - 40-64 white folks, it's 1 in 1300, so that's a huge difference. In my not-a-state (support statehood!) it's 1 in 610. The younger the demographic, the more that race changes the numbers. It's such a reminder that Native Americans have been hit incredibly hard. As have the elderly. 1 in 35 people over the age of 85 died of Covid.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

37 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I personally know 11 people who have died of covid. Some I haven't seen for years, some quite elderly, but I knew them. Four others I know of because they were close relatives to people I know. And yet, the lies proliferate. Just this week, I saw a Facebook post from a friend that was all about the number of people who have died--from the vaccine. ??? (I don't know of anyone who has died of the vaccine.) It was an article she posted that had lots of replies on it about people who had died from it. I didn't read too far down the list, but one that did stick in my mind was someone's father had had the vaccine and died...three months later. Really? This whole thing is the craziest thing I have seen in my six decades. I fear where it will lead, this kind of thinking.

People simply have not changed from the days when they thought that if a doctor saw a brown cow on the way to treat you it would mean you would get better, but if he saw a black horse, you would get worse.  Or the days when people burned people at the stake as witches. 

People just haven’t advanced like we all thought we had. They’ll believe the most ludicrous stuff and will stick to it with the self-righteousness of the person pointing the finger at the witch. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

The impact is that if the average American knows 600 people (rough estimate from google) and can recognize by face about 1500 more people - people who walk their dogs when you do, or who take the same bus as you, or who buy groceries on the same schedule you do, you know, people you see but don't know - then every American is missing 4 people that they used to know or at least see every week.

But unless those people were people in my inner circle, I wouldn't know if I was missing them.  I mean, I wouldn't know if the cashier I chat with at the grocery store has died or if they just have a different shift or have retired. 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I personally only know a couple of people, and only people I didn't know well at all. But WaPo broke down the numbers along a bunch of demographics - age, race, and state. For people in my demographic (as they did the breakdown) - 40-64 white folks, it's 1 in 1300, so that's a huge difference. In my not-a-state (support statehood!) it's 1 in 610. The younger the demographic, the more that race changes the numbers. It's such a reminder that Native Americans have been hit incredibly hard. As have the elderly. 1 in 35 people over the age of 85 died of Covid.

I am surprised that the rate is not higher than that in people over 85, given that the life expectancy for an 85 year old is 6-7 years.  While a greater percentage of the very elderly have died with COVID, the incidence of excess deaths appears to be higher in younger demographics.  

Overall, numbers of deaths among persons aged <25 years were 2.0% below average,¶¶ and among adults aged 45–64, 65–74 years, 75–84, and ≥85 years were 14.4%, 24.1%, 21.5%, and 14.7% above average, respectively. Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19, by Age and Race and Ethnicity — United States, January 26–October 3, 2020 | MMWR (cdc.gov)  

Those numbers are from last year, but if the trend has remained it is the 65-74 year old age group that has really been hit hard by premature death.   

• Like 2

What I have seen in a few recent instances has been unnamed precipitous illness and death in an otherwise healthy person in their fifties. I think the likelihood these are COVID deaths is high but nobody - me included - is crass enough to post on SM - “So, did ———- die of COVID?” 

I strongly suspect these are covid deaths, because why else is it not mentioned? 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

What I have seen in a few recent instances has been unnamed precipitous illness and death in an otherwise healthy person in their fifties. I think the likelihood these are COVID deaths is high but nobody - me included - is crass enough to post on SM - “So, did ———- die of COVID?” 

I strongly suspect these are covid deaths, because why else is it not mentioned? 

Some of those could be deaths due to suicide or overdose, which have also been on the increase during this pandemic. Families may be reluctant to share that information publicly.

And I get it, I do. If you don't utterly hate socialization and people, quarantining is hard. Being careful when you do go out is stressful. Worrying about bills - geez.

But the solution has never been to pretend there is no pandemic! The solution, awful as it is, is as much as possible to just *deal* with it, and if we'd all done it stronger and sooner it might not have dragged out quite this badly, meaning that ultimately those people whose mental health really is suffering from the shutdown might have started to recover already.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

But unless those people were people in my inner circle, I wouldn't know if I was missing them.  I mean, I wouldn't know if the cashier I chat with at the grocery store has died or if they just have a different shift or have retired. 

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

~ John Donne

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Tanaqui said:

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

~ John Donne

???   I never said anything about deaths being good?  I just said that I might not know that they occurred.  What a strange response. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

We met our quota, and I am sure passed it if we were in the loop. We lost older people, but three were still active older people. Two were very much so.

I assume we’ll eventually hear about others, but as people have said, many are being coy about cause of death. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Some of those could be deaths due to suicide or overdose, which have also been on the increase during this pandemic. Families may be reluctant to share that information publicly.

And I get it, I do. If you don't utterly hate socialization and people, quarantining is hard. Being careful when you do go out is stressful. Worrying about bills - geez.

But the solution has never been to pretend there is no pandemic! The solution, awful as it is, is as much as possible to just *deal* with it, and if we'd all done it stronger and sooner it might not have dragged out quite this badly, meaning that ultimately those people whose mental health really is suffering from the shutdown might have started to recover already.

That could also be true, however, those I’m thinking of specifically were in hospital for some period of time, without explanation other than they are very ill. These were not people who had another type of illness AFAIK, like cancer. They were just “extremely ill” and then they died. 

Not that I think COVID is the only illness that behaves like that; my sister died suddenly of a kidney infection and, at the time of death, we did not have an explanation beyond, “She became very ill very quickly.” It’s not hard for me to imagine, though, someone not wanting to hear, “Were they vaccinated?” Or whatever. And just deciding not to say COVID was the reason. 

40 minutes ago, Quill said:

That could also be true, however, those I’m thinking of specifically were in hospital for some period of time, without explanation other than they are very ill. These were not people who had another type of illness AFAIK, like cancer. They were just “extremely ill” and then they died. 

Not that I think COVID is the only illness that behaves like that; my sister died suddenly of a kidney infection and, at the time of death, we did not have an explanation beyond, “She became very ill very quickly.” It’s not hard for me to imagine, though, someone not wanting to hear, “Were they vaccinated?” Or whatever. And just deciding not to say COVID was the reason. 

Yes, like people asking about smoking when they hear someone has died of lung cancer. It can make people feel ashamed.

I know it's human nature to want to find a way to be different from the victim ("she smoked, I don't, I'm not going to die of lung cancer like she did). 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

???   I never said anything about deaths being good?  I just said that I might not know that they occurred.  What a strange response. 

I don’t think it was meant as an attack just a response to the way we are all impacted even if we don’t realise it?  Like you missing the familiar cashier you’re used to seeing.  But I might be missing something.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Same in my area. One was a 39-ish-year-old man in my small town. Someone I know confirmed privately that it WAS COVID, but no one is talking about it. It could have saved lives to put it in his obit and make it known. 😞 

• Like 3

The sad thing is that STILL almost no one in my circles seems to give a damn. Seriously. They'll talk about 9-11 and the lives that were lost but they seem utterly oblivious to 660,000+ deaths over the past 18 months. Even if they had the virus and it was terrible. Even if they had loved ones in the hospital. Honestly at this point I think most people's minds wouldn't be changed even if someone in their immediate family died.

Instead they talk about how people have been "programmed" not to touch each other this past year and how mad they are that their public school kid got detention for not wearing a mask and how they gave their kid a tulle mask to wear at school. I have heard all these things personally this week. 

@Garga hit the nail on the head. We have not progressed. People still believe the most ludicrous stuff and not only that but are incredibly self-righteous and snarky about it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 7

7 hours ago, bookbard said:

wow that is huge - just calculated it for australia - if we had 1/500 dead it would be 52,000 people. Instead it's just over 1,000. cannot imagine the impact. 

Yeah I did a quick conversion for NZ. That would be 10,000 dead rather than under 30.  It could still happen here and given how incestuous we are we would probably know half of them or know someone who did.  That is scary.  Which isn't helpful.  It has to get better soon.  

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Those figures are absolutely shocking.

I don't know anyone who has even had Covid. No one I know knows anyone who has had it.

It's like I'm living a different reality to all of you.

I'm so sorry things are so bad in so many places 😕

I am genuinely glad that is the case for you!

I think I’m at 4 deaths for people I knew well, and stopped counting people of people (like Guy Dh Worked With connections.) All known cases? Stopped keeping track ages ago.

This morning I did learn of the death of an ex/father of people I care about. That’s the first under 50 death that’s come this close to my circle.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I think I’m at 4 deaths for people I knew well, and stopped counting people of people (like Guy Dh Worked With connections.) All known cases? Stopped keeping track ages ago.

This morning I did learn of the death of an ex/father of people I care about. That’s the first under 50 death that’s come this close to my circle.

I can't even imagine.

My whole state has a total of 7 deaths for the whole pandemic.

I'm so sorry you've all lost so many people 😕

13 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I can't even imagine.

My whole state has a total of 7 deaths for the whole pandemic.

I'm so sorry you've all lost so many people 😕

The UK's death rates have been similar to those in the US, although I think higher vaccination rates in the UK are starting to improve things. I don't know anyone who has died of Covid. A very large proportion of early deaths were in care homes, and my mother's home was not affected. 

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I don't know anyone who has even had Covid. No one I know knows anyone who has had it.

Wow. That’s hard for me to imagine. The only deaths I know about are somewhat distant, like friend’s mother or somebody-knows-somebody, plus the aforementioned probably covid but nobody said so. But I have long since lost count of people I know who have had COVID - everyone from dh to various nieces and nephews to friends and neighbors. A few who have gone to the ER at some point. And a client still languishing in the ICU a month later. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We were like you until 4 weeks ago. Then all in the same week 2 aunts and a cousin got it pretty bad and dh's stepdad ended up in the hospital with it. He did not get it from the other 3 though

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We were like you until 4 weeks ago. Then all in the same week 2 aunts and a cousin got it pretty bad and dh's stepdad ended up in the hospital with it. He did not get it from the other 3 though

I know our bubble could burst at any time.

I hope all of your loved ones recover quickly and fully.

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I think at this point, almost everyone I know has had Covid. A couple more than once.

I only know two people who died of Covid; and I don’t know either of them well. One was a friend’s brother and one was someone I knew by sight and would say hi too, but we didn’t really know each other.  

I vaguely knew several people who have died of COVID - entirely because I live in a family with some members who work in care homes. Other than that, my entire "close circle" has been good about at least trying to protect themselves. A fair number got COVID anyway (some three times), two have confirmed Long COVID (interestingly, both were people only infected once), but even the ones I had doubts about surviving the waves we've had so far due to vulnerabilities or living in places with rubbish healthcare have survived. On the other hand, the protective measures mean I and over half the people in my social circle have completely avoided the virus as far as anyone is aware (and only have antibodies due to vaccination).

The average person is capable of maintaining an active social circle of around 150 people (Dunbar's number - note that boardies you consider friends count towards the total). If we assume the average person's actual social circle is half that (75), then a death rate of over 1 in 500 means that 1 in 7 people in the USA considers someone who died of COVID to be in their social circle. There are some issues with this, because a disproprtionate number of people died in various institutional settings, and people who live in places like care homes and prisons are more likely than usual to have a small social circle. So even though the people who were closest to the deceased are hit just as hard emotionally, there is less emotional effect on the community at large than if the disease predominantly killed people with unusually large social circles. And of course, the fewer people know the deceased, the less likely it is that a secret about the cause of death will be revealed.

• Like 1

That rings true for us. My cousin's wife, father, and one of his children all lost to covid. They live two miles from us. The parent of one of mine former 4H members, and then two acquaintances from Dh's work. Except for my uncle, none of them were over 60, and my cousin's wife was 58, but his child was 32, and the work acquaintances were under 50. We know three people, not super duper well but well enough to know some details, who have been permanently disabled by covid or at least it appears that way since they had it last fall and have been told they will likely never be able to work again. These are people who are in their 40's, so the financial devastation is huge since they were nowhere near retirement age and don't have the savings on which to live. 

In my entire life, I have never known anyone who died of influenza much less was even hospitalized or permanently disabled. I know that it does happen, but it is so rare compared to this virus. So when deniers claim "it's like the flu", I want to lose my mind all over them. But, that is a waste of energy because it changes nothing. Until it comes to their house and takes out someone they love, they won't believe, and they are too narcissistic to give a crap about the other humans around them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah higher in our area. If that were the case, we would only have 240 deaths. We have 432.  In the other county my small town straddles they should have 108 deaths if it is 1 in 500, but they actually have 137.

Which makes sense since yesterday the first county was number 1 in the state of Texas for rate of Covid 214/100,000.  Last week it was the other county at 244.  

Edited by TexasProud

I know at least 6 people that have died of Covid.  My sister's first husband's current wife died last week.  She was 48.  

Has anyone heard that Hispanics are harder hit?  The above 48 year old was Hispanic.  And my mom just told me that her former Hispanic renters have Covid....the entire family...mom/dad/2 late teens.  They were all vaccinated.

Also my sister's third XH/father to her youngest girls is Hispanic.   He was in the hospital for 3 weeks with Covid and very sick for weeks before and after that.  He came home with oxygen.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/09/15/covid-pandemic-vaccinations-masks-biden-administation/8340559002/

That's the confirmed number - the real number is surely much higher, especially when you consider that many of the early deaths were never logged.

I... I don't even know what to say.

Except that all deaths with a positive covid test are being logged as covid deaths.  So while it's still scary that the numbers have gotten that high, the official numbers in the U.S. cannot be accurately relied upon to represent deaths from covid.  

(I totally thought this was misinformation the first x number of times I heard it.  I really thought it was ridiculous for anyone to claim the government was logging any obviously-not-caused-by-covid deaths in that count.  But the county D.A. is required to check out all unattended deaths and sign off on releasing the body to the morgue.  He is a personal friend of ours and has attended several of these deaths.  Our county's first "covid death" was a man quarantining at home with mild symptoms when he hit his head falling off a ladder.  I get that they don't want to miss any deaths in the statistics where there may be multiple factors involved, but it frustrates me that the government has adopted a reporting policy like this that undermines the public's trust in their information.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I know at least 6 people that have died of Covid.  My sister's first husband's current wife died last week.  She was 48.  

Has anyone heard that Hispanics are harder hit?  The above 48 year old was Hispanic.  And my mom just told me that her former Hispanic renters have Covid....the entire family...mom/dad/2 late teens.  They were all vaccinated.

Also my sister's third XH/father to her youngest girls is Hispanic.   He was in the hospital for 3 weeks with Covid and very sick for weeks before and after that.  He came home with oxygen.  

No, I haven't heard that.  My hispanic family members who have had it were fairly mild cases.

6 minutes ago, Condessa said:

No, I haven't heard that.  My hispanic family members who have had it were fairly mild cases.

I had not heard it either.  It is something my sister who lives in the Houston area told me she had heard.  Her daughter who is half hispanic had a mild case summer of 2020.

I am up to 8. Four before vsccination was available, four who died after they could have been vaccinated, but weren't. The first four were sad and tragic. The last four are infuriating. 

Only one has been over the age of 65. Most have been in their 40's and 50's.

And NONE are "died with covid" as opposed to "died of COVID". Some had pre-existing conditions, but they wouldn't have died in the last year due to that pre-existing condition. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, that's been relatively widely reported. Here's one report from back in November, but there are many others.

43 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Except that all deaths with a positive covid test are being logged as covid deaths.  So while it's still scary that the numbers have gotten that high, the official numbers in the U.S. cannot be accurately relied upon to represent deaths from covid.  

(I totally thought this was misinformation the first x number of times I heard it.  I really thought it was ridiculous for anyone to claim the government was logging any obviously-not-caused-by-covid deaths in that count.  But the county D.A. is required to check out all unattended deaths and sign off on releasing the body to the morgue.  He is a personal friend of ours and has attended several of these deaths.  Our county's first "covid death" was a man quarantining at home with mild symptoms when he hit his head falling off a ladder.  I get that they don't want to miss any deaths in the statistics where there may be multiple factors involved, but it frustrates me that the government has adopted a reporting policy like this that undermines the public's trust in their information.)

Rural Missouri coroner admits excluding Covid from death certificates

I have a feeling he's not the only one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm in the US and I find the numbers in OP shocking too.  Because of all the people I personally know who haven't had COVID only 1 has needed hospitalization and he was out in 2 days.  I know OF 3 people who died, none that I ever met but were friends/relatives of acquaintances at church.  I believe COVID is real it's just that I see none of what is in the news in my real life circle and yes I'm counting my blessings on that.

Those statistics were shocking to me too.  I just did the calculations for our state, and it looks like 1/700 have died of it in our state.  

I don't have any close family members or friends who have died of it, but I have many close friends who've had close family members and friends die of it (probably around 20), plus I know of many more people in extended circles (who I might not have known at all) who have died of it.  (For example, on my mother's floor at a LTC facility, 11 people died of it just on her wing of 24.  One of them was an an old neighbor of ours from years ago.)

Edited by J-rap

In 2020 4.44 out of every 500 people in the US died.  In 2019 4.39 out of every 500 people in the US died.  If the increase in the death rate is attributable to COVID, that is .05 out of every 500 people.  From 1950-1990, anywhere from 4.4 to 4.8 people out of every 500 people died in the US--so for much of my life the death rate in the US has been higher than it has been in the last year.  It is shocking when we see the headlines but we are not used to looking at these types of numbers to be able to put it in perspective.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

In 2020 4.44 out of every 500 people in the US died.  In 2019 4.39 out of every 500 people in the US died.  If the increase in the death rate is attributable to COVID, that is .05 out of every 500 people.  From 1950-1990, anywhere from 4.4 to 4.8 people out of every 500 people died in the US--so for much of my life the death rate in the US has been higher than it has been in the last year.  It is shocking when we see the headlines but we are not used to looking at these types of numbers to be able to put it in perspective.  

According to the CDC, the age adjusted increase in deaths in 2020 was 15.9%  https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My county has cumulative death count of 1,753. Estimated population of 1,927,852. Death rate would be less than 1 in a 1,000.

I don’t know anyone in my social circle with covid but my social circle isn’t large. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Has anyone heard that Hispanics are harder hit? 

Hispanics/Latinos are harder hit in my county (which includes San Jose)

BDDE28EE-FED2-4EBA-ABAF-099959C7D30C.jpeg

7282A17A-537D-4FFF-B53C-EE6BF4C48780.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

According to the CDC, the age adjusted increase in deaths in 2020 was 15.9%  https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm

Yes, this is when age adjusted increases in deaths are considered.  But, the CDC reports that the death rate in the US is 869.7 per 100,000 (or 4.35 per 500).  The age of deaths has changed with COVID, with increases in death rates for some age groups and decreases in other age group.  If one wants to think about out of 500 people they knew in March 2020, how many of those people, on average are not alive, pre-COVID the number would have been about 6.5--because that is 1 1/2 years.  We do not usually see statstistics that say 6.5 out of every 500 people we knew 18 months ago are now dead.  And, I do not think many of us think of age-adjusted faces when we look around at 500 people we know--we see 500 faces.  

• Like 1