Menu

PCOS workup and diagnosis

kbutton

What does a PCOS workup and diagnosis entail? 

Any good sites for guidance?

I have had parts and pieces of various testing done over the years, so I know I don't actually have ovarian cysts, but I have heard that you don't always have to have cysts to be diagnosed. Is this true?

When I was diagnosed it was from my OB/GYN.  The diagnosis was based on symptoms and blood test looking at hormones, including elevated testosterone levels.  I do get ovarian cysts, and actually had to have one ovary removed.

DD was diagnosed by her pediatrician when she was in high school based on symptoms and blood tests.  She has never had any testing to see if she has cysts or not.

I'm sorry I don't have any great resources, most of the stuff I used was years ago when I was mostly concerned about the infertility aspect.  I would suggest getting a GYN who is familiar with PCOS if you can for a consult.

• Like 2

I’ve always had pcos since shortly after puberty, but they’ve never found a cyst on my ovaries. I once had fluid that looked like maybe it had burst, but my blood work is consistently clear I’ve got pcos.

I take a lot of medication and have finally found the right mixture for me.  I’m also diabetic, which is common with pcos.

• Like 3

I was diagnosed with PCOS by the reproductive endocrinologist when we tried to conceive. I never had any cysts found on scans but have had the classic symptoms since puberty. The diagnosis took years for me. I was allowed to believe heavy, debilitating periods were my personal cross to bear and not a medical issue.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’m also diabetic, which is common with pcos.

Thanks. Removed details for privacy.

19 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

The diagnosis took years for me. I was allowed to believe heavy, debilitating periods were my personal cross to bear and not a medical issue.

I am so sorry! That's terrible. 

Edited by kbutton