Menu

Three days in Washington DC with four older kids. Plus Nashville and Atlanta ideas?

staceyobu

We have four kids ages 16, 14, 12, 9 and are going to DC in October. I have never been to Washington DC before. We will have three full days. There is just SO much to do, I don't know how to narrow it down to three days of activity! We are staying about 1.5 miles away from the capitol building. The house is close to a subway stop. 

We are going to spend one full day in Nashville and one full day in Atlanta and one full day in Nashville. I'm open to ideas in either of those cities as well! 

Thanks for any trip advice! 

• Like 1

Definitely spend a day on the mall going to the museums (Natural History and Air/Space are favorites with my family) and then the memorials are all close enough to walk to from there.  My kids loved the subway - that will be an adventure all in its own!  

Have a great trip!  I love DC but there is a lot to do!  We've done a capitol tour, White House tour, National Archives tour, and a bunch of others.  We didn't get to see the Holocaust museum or the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, unfortunately, when we took the kids.  

Edited by Kassia

22 minutes ago, staceyobu said:

We have four kids ages 16, 14, 12, 9 and are going to DC in October. I have never been to Washington DC before. We will have three full days. There is just SO much to do, I don't know how to narrow it down to three days of activity! We are staying about 1.5 miles away from the capitol building. The house is close to a subway stop. 

We are going to spend one full day in Nashville and one full day in Atlanta and one full day in Nashville. I'm open to ideas in either of those cities as well! 

Thanks for any trip advice! 

Ooh, have fun!! I love DC. We’ve done the Capitol and White House tours (neat but the WH is so small!!), the SMAAHC, Holocaust museum, and news museum (can’t remember what it’s called but it was timely.😏). I’d pick just one for each day because there is so much to absorb and SO MUCH WALKING! You almost can’t go wrong. I don’t know much about Nashville but “hot chicken” is a thing. We came, we ate, it was good. Country music capital and all that. Drive by the Opry? My kids were unwilling to spend much time in Atlanta. They don’t like big city vibes.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I am just outside DC. 

some of our favorites:

1. Natural History museum. Don’t miss the prehistoric human section (my son has a favorite prehistoric human we visit periodically) and the gems/minerals section is wonderful. 
2. National Building Museum. This is not often mentioned but the architectural history exhibits here are really interesting. The entry hall is huge and breathtaking. 
3. Spy Museum. This is a favorite of all my kids. 
4. National Gallery of Art/Sculpture Garden. 
5. Museum of the American Indian. (If you’re going to eat at a museum on the Mall, this is widely viewed as the tastiest place.) 

6. I think the Washington Monument is closed(?)
7. Come over the river to Virginia and look at Iwo Jima and visit Arlington National Cemetery. If you have access to a vehicle, take a picnic to Gravelly Point and watch the planes take off and land at National Airport basically right on top of your head.  It’s a very unique experience.

have a wonderful time!!!

• Like 3

We never took the trip but in Atlanta I was looking at Coke, the aquarium and the botanic garden.

I love DC and wish I lived closer!  Some people don't like it but we had a great visit to the National Zoo.  We also loved the national cathedral but that is away from other stuff so eats up time.

We love art so saw as much as possible.  To me, the monuments are a must see.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bensonduck said:

I am just outside DC. 

some of our favorites:

1. Natural History museum. Don’t miss the prehistoric human section (my son has a favorite prehistoric human we visit periodically) and the gems/minerals section is wonderful. 
2. National Building Museum. This is not often mentioned but the architectural history exhibits here are really interesting. The entry hall is huge and breathtaking. 
3. Spy Museum. This is a favorite of all my kids. 
4. National Gallery of Art/Sculpture Garden. 
5. Museum of the American Indian. (If you’re going to eat at a museum on the Mall, this is widely viewed as the tastiest place.) 

6. I think the Washington Monument is closed(?)
7. Come over the river to Virginia and look at Iwo Jima and visit Arlington National Cemetery. If you have access to a vehicle, take a picnic to Gravelly Point and watch the planes take off and land at National Airport basically right on top of your head.  It’s a very unique experience.

have a wonderful time!!!

Ditto all this.

The National Building Museum is often overlooked, and pre-Covid it was possible to check out some building/STEM activities to do. Those have always been a huge hit here.

We love the Native museum. One of my mentors way back in the 90s was involved in the planning, so we always get pretty into learning how groups of people with widely different beliefs and world views worked together for compromise on creating a space that all can appreciate. It was quite a feat, and has lessons for all of us. Plus, the food. 

Also, check in advance to see what special or traveling exhibits are in town. 

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh...

My answer will vary depending on your family tilt towards art/history vs towards trains and planes and things that go, and dinosaurs. I may be the only person on earth for whom the (cavernous, very loud, overwhelming) Air & Space Museum does nothing.  But I am a definite outlier - for most families it's a crowdpleaser.  And while Natural History is FANTASTIC -- better than NYC's in my view -- past age 8 or so the dinosaur phase had passed in this family.

Another consideration may be that the public museums in WDC are all free (all the Smithsonians, the two National Gallery buildings, the Portrait Gallery, the NMAAHC, Natural History) while the private ones are not (Holocaust, Spy, Newseum, others I'm forgetting).

Both Holocaust and NMAAHC are *unbelievably well done* and also pretty intense for a 9 year old.  A 12 year old I would encourage to go -- these hard things need to be grappled with.  With a 9 yo I'd think about it. 

I puffy heart LOVE the Spy Museum.  If you do it, definitely do the "get assigned an undercover ID and walk around the exhibits trying to keep in character" thing.  It really deepens the experience.

We have a lot of art lovers, so I have lots to say re the National Gallery and the Portrait.  At a minimum pop into Portraits to see the Presidentials.

I dunno if the Representatives are doing the constituent tour thing post 1/6, but just reach out to your respective office and see -- (whether or not you voted for your  respective Rep) if the tours are running they'll send a staffer to show you around, and it's super interesting.

The Supreme Court building is open to the public except for brief hours (9-11) on the (limited) days when the Court is hearing arguments.

Personally I wouldn't waste time trying to *climb* the Monument, even if it is open.  It's a lot like climbing a lighthouse, LOL.  I came, I saw, I went back down...

Nashville:

Country & Music HoF has a combo tour where you go to one of the studios -- super cool.

Check out the art scene (free), and eat or at least get coffee & dessert, at the 21c Museum Hotel gallery & its excellent restaurant.

Live music scene on Broadway

Atlanta:

I can't speak highly enough about the dang Coca-Cola museum.  My BIL exhorted us to go and I resisted for 3 rounds of bar/bat mitzvah trips.  Finally we did go and HE WAS RIGHT, I WAS WRONG.  It really is a lens on America.

Also the Civil Rights museum.

And there's some underground entertainment scene?  I can't quite remember name/details but have a vague memory of LOTS of family fun.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

And there's some underground entertainment scene?  I can't quite remember name/details but have a vague memory of LOTS of family fun.

Underground Atlanta has been sold and is closed, hopefully for renovation.  Haven’t been there since the very early 1970’s, but it was a cool place back then. 
The aquarium and Coke museum would mostly fill a day, especially if you find a fun restaurant instead of eating at the aquarium. Ponce City Market would be a fun choice, though not within walking distance of the attractions- about three miles away.   LOTS of fun food, some entertainment, a bit of shopping, all in a historic old factory. 

• Sad 1

We went several years ago but only had one day.  We did the Bureau of Printing and engraving in the morning and then went to the Holocaust museum. There was a ton of school students who just stood around the first third of the museum but that was actually a good thing.  We didn't linger much in those areas and just tried to see some highlights.  Once passed them we tried to slow down and take it in however we quickly realized that it was far too much for my 12 year DD (who not particularly sensitive to things but the museum was just overwhelming to her).  All total I think we spent about 2-3 hours there.  I could have spent all day there but that was already more than she could handle.  In the afternoon we took a trolley around to see a few of the major buildings and then went to Air and Space.  It was a great trip and as others have said you could spend all day at almost any place.  So I'd pick a couple of strong interest points and a couple of lesser interest points be flexible and see what you can get done.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

It's been years since we lived there (after we were married), and years since we went with our kids.  I know our kids enjoyed the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum on the mall, and just strolling through that area.  There's so much to see just walking.  We brought a picnic lunch and it was fun to find a place to sit and people watch.  Another day we took the Metro to Arlington Cemetery and went to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and that was meaningful to our kids.  We also enjoyed Mount Vernon, but I guess if you plan too many things outside of the city, days will feel too packed.

One of our all-time favorite buildings is the Library of Congress.  When my dh and I lived in DC, we could go into the actual reading room and read and study.  Now I think that part is closed to the public, but you can still look in.  It's so beautiful!

I went to the Holocaust museum alone because I wasn't sure if our kids were ready for the intensity of it at the ages they were at.  It was very worthwhile, and I was able to take all the time I wanted.   

I'm sure our kids would have loved the Spy Museum!  Maybe it wasn't there yet when we went.  Oh and of course a night tour of the monuments. 

• Like 2

In Atlanta I would recommend the aquarium. It is supposed to be one of the best in the world. My dd just went earlier this we and she loved it.

In Nashville I would recommend the Parthenon. It is pretty neat especially the statue of Athena. The you could head downtown to see the country music scene and find a decent restaurant.

In DC there is so much that you should pick the things that are most interesting to your family. I particularly like the Museum of Natural History. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QueenCat said:

In Nashville, the full scale replica of the Parthenon is amazing, both inside and out.

Yes to the Parthenon. Look to see who is playing at the Ryman and attend a concert there if you can. The Frist (art museum), depending on the exhibits. If you like shopping for used books, go to McKays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Ahhhhhhh...

My answer will vary depending on your family tilt towards art/history vs towards trains and planes and things that go, and dinosaurs. I may be the only person on earth for whom the (cavernous, very loud, overwhelming) Air & Space Museum does nothing.  But I am a definite outlier - for most families it's a crowdpleaser.  And while Natural History is FANTASTIC -- better than NYC's in my view -- past age 8 or so the dinosaur phase had passed in this family.

Another consideration may be that the public museums in WDC are all free (all the Smithsonians, the two National Gallery buildings, the Portrait Gallery, the NMAAHC, Natural History) while the private ones are not (Holocaust, Spy, Newseum, others I'm forgetting).

Both Holocaust and NMAAHC are *unbelievably well done* and also pretty intense for a 9 year old.  A 12 year old I would encourage to go -- these hard things need to be grappled with.  With a 9 yo I'd think about it. 

I puffy heart LOVE the Spy Museum.  If you do it, definitely do the "get assigned an undercover ID and walk around the exhibits trying to keep in character" thing.  It really deepens the experience.

We have a lot of art lovers, so I have lots to say re the National Gallery and the Portrait.  At a minimum pop into Portraits to see the Presidentials.

I dunno if the Representatives are doing the constituent tour thing post 1/6, but just reach out to your respective office and see -- (whether or not you voted for your  respective Rep) if the tours are running they'll send a staffer to show you around, and it's super interesting.

The Supreme Court building is open to the public except for brief hours (9-11) on the (limited) days when the Court is hearing arguments.

Personally I wouldn't waste time trying to *climb* the Monument, even if it is open.  It's a lot like climbing a lighthouse, LOL.  I came, I saw, I went back down...

Nashville:

Country & Music HoF has a combo tour where you go to one of the studios -- super cool.

Check out the art scene (free), and eat or at least get coffee & dessert, at the 21c Museum Hotel gallery & its excellent restaurant.

Live music scene on Broadway

Atlanta:

I can't speak highly enough about the dang Coca-Cola museum.  My BIL exhorted us to go and I resisted for 3 rounds of bar/bat mitzvah trips.  Finally we did go and HE WAS RIGHT, I WAS WRONG.  It really is a lens on America.

Also the Civil Rights museum.

Same. When my kids were elementary aged, they had a lot of fun at the hands on VA museums in Jamestown and Monticello. Now that they’re older, they appreciate the heavier stuff. My kids visited Dachau at 13 and 10 and are good with intense.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

We really enjoyed the aquarium in Atlanta. It has cool exhibits but also has shows that were really fun. If you go I would look for some insider tips to make the most of the experience. I don’t remember the details but I do remember that we started early in the day. By the time we were leaving it was shoulder to shoulder in the lobby and I couldn’t wait to get out of there. I think we reserved seats for the dolphin show? There was a penguin walk at some point and that was really funny. There was also some kind of conference room (?) where you could get a great view of the whale shark. It was awesome and away from the main exhibit. Maybe someone here knows the details. I can’t remember other than that we would be sure to go that way again next time. So if you do the aquarium it is probably worth doing a little research on the best way to visit. We are looking forward to going back but I will have to look into those things because I am getting old, apparently, and can’t remember all the details like I used to. 

23 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yes to the Parthenon. Look to see who is playing at the Ryman and attend a concert there if you can. The Frist (art museum), depending on the exhibits. If you like shopping for used books, go to McKays.

1 hour ago, KidsHappen said:

In Atlanta I would recommend the aquarium. It is supposed to be one of the best in the world. My dd just went earlier this we and she loved it.

In Nashville I would recommend the Parthenon. It is pretty neat especially the statue of Athena. The you could head downtown to see the country music scene and find a decent restaurant.

In DC there is so much that you should pick the things that are most interesting to your family. I particularly like the Museum of Natural History. 

We were only in Nashville a day and went to the Parthenon. It was really cool, beautiful park.

• Like 1

I agree, the coke and civil rights museums are excellent. We all love the aquarium.

In Nashville I would go to Jack's and get barbecue food they have two locations. And if you're in the mood for really good pizza, I like Manny's as well. It's in the arcade part of Nashville.

We also did a museum in nashville, I know it was free I think it was like a war museum or something I can't remember but it was really good.

• Like 2

Spend two days on the Mall in DC and just enjoy the museums. I liked the Ford's Theater, the National Cathedral, and a bit further out Mt Vernon. The Library of Congress is stunning inside. Honestly, you can't go wrong in DC - just about everything is free so if you don't care for a museum, just go to the next one. 

Altanta - the aquarium for sure (you will be done with museums by then) MLK Jr.'s historical home and Ebenezer church are great to visit as well and a bit of a different vibe than a museum.  You might get nice weather in Atlanta so you could take advantage of the fall festivals etc.. If you like greasy food - the Varsity is legendary (not my favorite) Have fun! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooCow said:

I agree, the coke and civil rights museums are excellent. We all love the aquarium.

In Nashville I would go to Jack's and get barbecue food they have two locations. And if you're in the mood for really good pizza, I like Manny's as well. It's in the arcade part of Nashville.

We also did a museum in nashville, I know it was free I think it was like a war museum or something I can't remember but it was really good.

Frist?  Mostly art but very well curated exhibits on particular historical subjects, and within easy walking of the Broadway scene and Country & Music.  I saw this exhibit several years ago on prison labor in the Angola penitentiary whose images *still* come surging back.

• Like 1

For Washington D.C.:
Be sure to look on websites to make sure what will even be OPEN due to covid restrictions -- and whether masks will be required or not. Also, be prepared that you can't take any bottled water or food bags or backpacks into most of the buildings. As I recall, not even purses were allowed into the Capitol... 

Definitely the Smithsonian and the Air & Space Museums! 

We didn't get to it but I hear the Spy Museum is really cool for all ages.

We loved our tour of the Capitol, BUT you have to reserve tickets several weeks/months in advance through your Congress person's office. And, while my teens found it interesting, not sure it would appeal to all 9yo or 12yo kids... Totally depends.

The Holocaust Museum is amazing, deeply moving, and very tastefully done -- but not for the very sensitive. So, it may not be for all of you.

We also enjoyed walking around one day and looking at the monuments, plus visiting nearby Arlington Cemetery and watching the noon-changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Also JFK's grave with an eternal flame is there, and Robert E. Lee's house is right in the midst. So, history! But, again, that might not be of high interest to your family.

We also enjoyed the National Gallery of Art, and the National Archives -- again, depends on what the interests of your family members are as to whether those would be of interest or not.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, happi duck said:

We never took the trip but in Atlanta I was looking at Coke, the aquarium and the botanic garden.

I love DC and wish I lived closer!  Some people don't like it but we had a great visit to the National Zoo.  We also loved the national cathedral but that is away from other stuff so eats up time.

We love art so saw as much as possible.  

(Note…there are pictures at the bottom…I couldn’t get them to insert in the right spots where I was talking about them…but you can figure out where they go by reading carefully. 🙂. )

You can’t go wrong going to the National Zoo and all the free museums around the mall. You could easily take all 3 days just staying at the mall and going into the museums. 

I loved the National Gallery of Art, but we especially loved it because I went on their website and found an art curriculum. We studied the art in the curric for an entire school year, and then went in person and looked at the art we’d studied.  Some of the art was waaaaay smaller than expected, and some was much, much bigger. (Here’s the art curric.)  It might be nice to see what’s in the museum before you go (especially art that you might be familiar with) and then make a point of finding it in the museum.  

(Side note: if you decide to look at the pix in the curric first and then want to find them in the museum, here’s how:

Click on the link I gave to you. Click on a grade (not the pre-K/Kindergarten). Scroll down a bit and click on one of the pictures that’s linked to a lesson. On the top right, you can download a High Resolution Image of the artwork. When you do that, under the name of the piece of art, it’ll tell you exactly where the artwork is in the museum, like “West Building, Main Floor, Gallery 45.” And if you click on those words that say “West Building…” a map will show up, showing you where Gallery 45 is.

End of side note.)

I also enjoyed the National Museum of the American Indian. 

Incidentally, my family just spent 2 days in DC. We went to the Spy Museum and enjoyed it (but it costs to get in and you need to pre-buy tickets for a set time. If you just walk up hoping to get in, you’ll have to wait until they have openings for you and it could be hours until there’s an opening.).  

We also went to the bible museum (also costs money and I don’t think you have to pre-buy tickets). We liked it. There were lots of old bibles in there!

And we went to the (deep breath) Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Shew! Long name! It’s the biggest church in North America and is one of the top 10 biggest churches in the world. Oh—and they have a HUGE parking lot, which is free, and they have an hour-long tour, which is also free!  A few years ago, we went to the National Cathedral and the Basilica on the same day and the Basilica is waaaaay better than the National Cathedral (and you have to pay for parking and for the tour for the Nat’l Cathedral.)

Here’s a picture that I took in the Basilica, trying to show its size (being the biggest church in North America after all). It is so hard to get the sizing right, but here’s how you know how big it is: Jesus is on the far back wall wearing red. The space between his hands is big enough to fit a school bus. This place is awesome.

Here’s another picture I took, trying to show how big the place is. (see the tiny little person?) Oh, and it’s COVERED in mosaics. Like, every surface is one big mosaic practically. If you like looking at buildings/architecture and mosaic art, it’s pretty awesome.

Here is some fun photography stuff you can do at the Lincoln memorial:

Make sure you have a $5 bill, and hold it up next to your face (or a kid’s face) so you can see the Lincoln memorial on the money, while you’re standing in front of the actual Lincoln memorial. Also at the Lincoln memorial, you can look out and see the Washington Monument. It’s at just the right angle that you can take one of those pictures of your kids “touching” the top of the moment, like Sleeping Beauty touching the tip of the spindle. (I took these pix when we were there with the kids on another visit but I can’t find them. They’re some of my favorites.)

Also note: We stayed just one night and were going to try to find a restaurant to eat in for dinner, but OH BOY were the prices crazy. Turns out that at the end of the day (the museums all close at 5 or 5:30ish), about 15 food trucks line up halfway down the national mall. For some reason, I always find it confusing to find food in that area, so we were pretty happy to see the food trucks. They saved us from having to spend $30 per plate at the restaurants. But maybe I’m just bad at finding food places, I dunno. There was a McD’s nearby, but we’d had that for lunch and were going to have to have it for Bfast and really did not want  it for dinner as well.  So, food trucks for the win.

B0A23AB9-F2AC-44DF-A847-126E65FE41D5.jpeg

E1C84C3B-6157-4559-A248-9B2E984591B4.png

3DBBBAB5-405B-4764-8CD8-4F2DDFE85268.jpeg

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, happi duck said:

We love art so saw as much as possible.  To me, the monuments are a must see.

Check pricing on the Atlanta CityPass. It may be worth doing if you're going to do several of the larger things. 

My mom and I  just did most of the Atlanta stuff while there to move L into the dorm and my dad was at the ACS meeting. The World of Coke, Aquarium and Fernbank are all quite good for younger kids. The College football HOF was actually really interactive and interesting, even for two complete NON-football fans who only did it because it was included in the CityPass and we had time to spend. The Civil and Human Rights museum is impactful,but best for younger kids. 

We didn't do the Zoo, Botanic Gardens, or Six Flags-too hot! 

• Like 1

There are so many dc museums that you can plan according to your interests. If you’re into plants, see the botanic gardens and the National arboretum. If you like religious architecture go to the basilica and the Franciscan Monastery with all the holy land replicas. You could let each person choose a thing and do museum-lunch-museum for three days. Is someone really into art? Or History? You can really personalize the trip. I thought the Girlhood exhibit at the American History museum was interesting . . . they actually had a purity ring on display and I’d never seen one IRL. I think Mt Vernon is a whole day and worth the trip. There’s a lot to do outside there if you want to avoid indoor crowds. 

This area takes Covid precautions seriously so plan to mask up indoors and watch for restricted hours and ticketed admittance to places where that wasn’t the norm before. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

When I see these threads, I'm always like, oh, I can give insider tips! And then I'm like, no I can't, there's just a ton to do of the basics so in three days, you don't need anything else. It's a lot of walking. 

I’d love to see some of your insider tips! I think they’d be found/appreciated on this thread even if the OP couldn’t use them on this trip. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

McKays is a treasure that I miss! And I definitely agree with the other suggestions as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

There are so many dc museums that you can plan according to your interests. If you’re into plants, see the botanic gardens and the National arboretum. If you like religious architecture go to the basilica and the Franciscan Monastery with all the holy land replicas. You could let each person choose a thing and do museum-lunch-museum for three days. Is someone really into art? Or History? You can really personalize the trip. I thought the Girlhood exhibit at the American History museum was interesting . . . they actually had a purity ring on display and I’d never seen one IRL. I think Mt Vernon is a whole day and worth the trip. There’s a lot to do outside there if you want to avoid indoor crowds. 

This area takes Covid precautions seriously so plan to mask up indoors and watch for restricted hours and ticketed admittance to places where that wasn’t the norm before. 

I wonder what they used as "the purity ring"  I wore one for many years but didn't know there was One specific ring that defined it. It was more about a symbol of the promise made.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bibiche said:

For DC, if you don’t have decent Ethiopian restaurants where you live, take advantage of Washington’s. 

Wow. We have a Ethiopian restaurant near our house and we *love* it. Its one of my husband and my's favorite restaurants. It's truly an experience and great food! (even though we have to ask for the food to be NOT spicy because most of their stuff is. Our chef can recommend the dishes that can come that way)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I wonder what they used as "the purity ring"  I wore one for many years but didn't know there was One specific ring that defined it. It was more about a symbol of the promise made.

It was just an example of one that was produced and sold specifically for that purpose.  It might have been engraved.  I can't remember the details, but the entire exhibit was interesting.  My daughter and I spend a while there.

Wait!  There's an online catalog.  This is it:  https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1911859

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It was just an example of one that was produced and sold specifically for that purpose.  It might have been engraved.  I can't remember the details, but the entire exhibit was interesting.  My daughter and I spend a while there.

Wait!  There's an online catalog.  This is it:  https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1911859

Ah. Interesting.

Mine was a simple silver band with a rose on it. Didn't say the word Purity on it anywhere so probably wouldn't qualify for an exhibit. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’d love to see some of your insider tips! I think they’d be found/appreciated on this thread even if the OP couldn’t use them on this trip. 

I'm with @Farrar.  It's not like you need to be strategic.  You can't go wrong just showing up at the mall and wandering into the first museum you see.  Filling three days would be so easy with this plan.  Most of the museum food is crappy and overpriced, so on nice day a picnic is fun.  There's so much right there on the mall that you don't HAVE to leave unless you're chasing specific interests.  I'd put some thought into the food (maybe hop on the metro and have lunch in Chinatown) but the museums are easy.  Wear your most trusty, comfy shoes and you're good.  Dd scooters/bikes all over capital hill ALL THE TIME, so it might be fun to have that app loaded and ready to go.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

I think it depends on the sort of person someone is. I do think the vast majority of tourists just want to do the things everyone suggests.

I do like to recommend Great Falls and Billy Goat Trail for nature lovers - it's one of the best 3 mile hikes in the world. Stunning and super fun.

Also Kennilworth Aquatic Gardens if anyone is here in the summer. It used to be a real hidden gem, but during the pandemic, the entire region discovered it and swarmed in. It was so weird because for many years, it was this place that we always had to ourselves when we visited.

I also like Artechouse for unusual art experiences. It's fun and weird and the exhibit is always changing. 

Also, the Phillips and the Kreeger are pretty excellent. But again, only if you're an art museum junkie like me.

Not a hidden gem, but the Hirshhorn is always one of our favorites and people rarely visit. Also, we are mildly obsessed about the Peacock Room in the Sack/Freer, which is also usually empty. The Renwick has great exhibits. But we're art museum people, so. Most people come here and do no art at all. I will say... the SAAM courtyard is pretty cool even if you don't want to see any art.

Also not exactly a hidden gem, but the Einstein memorial is really cool. It's across the street from the Vietnam Wall.

The old capitol stones are cool. You can see the columns at the arboretum and you can find the rest of the portico abandoned in piles in a not so secret spot in Rock Creek Park. My kid filmed this dance there.

For little kids, in the region, there's some fun things like the Trolley Museum and the Aviation Museum, both in Maryland.

That's probably enough to get started with for slightly off the Smithsonian and memorials path stuff. At least that's not food related.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Under the picture of the ring on that link it reads “ Ring is significantly distorted and damaged.”. Makes me wonder about the backstory. Did someone get disillusioned and try to destroy the ring? 

36 minutes ago, Garga said:

Under the picture of the ring on that link it reads “ Ring is significantly distorted and damaged.”. Makes me wonder about the backstory. Did someone get disillusioned and try to destroy the ring? 

Wow. What a jump. Very interesting that it was kept despite the damage. I'm fairly sure I still have my ring somewhere. I was never disillusioned or tried to destroy it but, should I find it one day, would not be surprised to find it distorted. It's been bumping around in my luggage for almost 25 years from house to house without being specially cared for because I have a wedding ring now that gets the special care.

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I think it depends on the sort of person someone is. I do think the vast majority of tourists just want to do the things everyone suggests.

I do like to recommend Great Falls and Billy Goat Trail for nature lovers - it's one of the best 3 mile hikes in the world. Stunning and super fun.

Also Kennilworth Aquatic Gardens if anyone is here in the summer. It used to be a real hidden gem, but during the pandemic, the entire region discovered it and swarmed in. It was so weird because for many years, it was this place that we always had to ourselves when we visited.

I also like Artechouse for unusual art experiences. It's fun and weird and the exhibit is always changing. 

Also, the Phillips and the Kreeger are pretty excellent. But again, only if you're an art museum junkie like me.

Not a hidden gem, but the Hirshhorn is always one of our favorites and people rarely visit. Also, we are mildly obsessed about the Peacock Room in the Sack/Freer, which is also usually empty. The Renwick has great exhibits. But we're art museum people, so. Most people come here and do no art at all. I will say... the SAAM courtyard is pretty cool even if you don't want to see any art.

Also not exactly a hidden gem, but the Einstein memorial is really cool. It's across the street from the Vietnam Wall.

The old capitol stones are cool. You can see the columns at the arboretum and you can find the rest of the portico abandoned in piles in a not so secret spot in Rock Creek Park. My kid filmed this dance there.

For little kids, in the region, there's some fun things like the Trolley Museum and the Aviation Museum, both in Maryland.

That's probably enough to get started with for slightly off the Smithsonian and memorials path stuff. At least that's not food related.

Thank you so much for this, especially the 3 mile hike recommendation! DH is a pilot based out of National and so we have done a lot of the monuments/museums etc. Will have to try the Great Falls and Billy Goat Trail! We walked from the monuments to Teddy Roosevelt Island and then out to Rosslyn and took the metro back and that was a nice walk. We're always looking for things to do in nature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garga said:

The tone of the installation certainly didn’t have a This is Great vibe. It had more of a Purity as the New Golden Calf feel. Those could have been my personal feelings projected on the display. It’s been over a month so I don’t remember the details. 

2 hours ago, importswim said:

Thank you so much for this, especially the 3 mile hike recommendation! DH is a pilot based out of National and so we have done a lot of the monuments/museums etc. Will have to try the Great Falls and Billy Goat Trail! We walked from the monuments to Teddy Roosevelt Island and then out to Rosslyn and took the metro back and that was a nice walk. We're always looking for things to do in nature.

On the Virginia side, the hike at Scott's Run to the waterfall is excellent as well. Not quite as stunningly cool as Billy Goat, but nice. Be sure you're really ready for a hike at Billy Goat. It's almost like bouldering.

• Thanks 2